shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandma''s aqua (?) and ruby rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
My grandmother gifted me two rings today. I think they are very pretty and I think I'll wear them a fair bit.

There are no certificates, etc., so I have some questions as to whether the stones are really what she was told they are.

The first ring is a 14K gold ring (ring has a stamp inside) with rubies. Grandma says she bought this one in Thailand some 30 or 40 years ago.

The second ring is silver with a step-cut aquamarine. This ring was purchased in a local B&M store that certainly has a good & honest reputation, though I'm not sure they are the most knowledgeable colored stone jewelers. The aqua seems a little blue for an aqua, but I'm no expert. My mom has a giant aqua cocktail ring that is decidedly more turquoise. Could it be another gem stone besides aqua?

Anyway, here is the ruby ring.

mscushion_rubyring_topview.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those are lovely gifts!

Wow, I didn’t know that Thailand sold 14kt gold items; my experience in South East Asia is that everyone only sells high carat gold items. Even 18kt is be extremely difficult to find, much less in those days. The ring itself is very unique though. There’s no way to tell via pictures if the rubies are indeed real.

Blue topaz? Aquamarines come in many different blues so again, there’s no definitive answer as to what’s the gemstone. Synthetic aquamarine?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting rings, enjoy them! Rubies sure don''t seem too perfect like most synthetics but to really know if they are natural you''d have to take them to a gemologist. Same goes for that aqua, which indeed might be a very nice (and quite valuable) example of it''s species, but considering the size and color (and the fact that it''s been set into a silver ring), makes me think that it might as well be a blue topaz - doesen''t have to be, but it could. Your mom''s aqua is more turquoise probably because it''s not heated, unlike yours, which most probably is (if it really is an aqua). Heating makes them more blue and less greenish (turquoise).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are pretty. I know you will treasure them.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovely gift! i love that aqua it is amazing!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/10/2009 8:31:01 AM
Author: Chrono

Those are lovely gifts!

Wow, I didn’t know that Thailand sold 14kt gold items; my experience in South East Asia is that everyone only sells high carat gold items. Even 18kt is be extremely difficult to find, much less in those days. The ring itself is very unique though. There’s no way to tell via pictures if the rubies are indeed real.

Blue topaz? Aquamarines come in many different blues so again, there’s no definitive answer as to what’s the gemstone. Synthetic aquamarine?

Cool rings, but that color aqua is very similar to synthetic spinel that was sold as an aqua substitute at the time. It still could be an aqua, so this is just an FYI.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I’m not sure how many jewellers will put such an aquamarine in a silver setting. Something that large and blue will be very expensive and most likely to be put in a more expensive setting, not silver, hence my guess that it’s either a substitute stone or synthetic.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it may well be that it is a substitute or synthetic. I'm pretty sure that jeweler wouldn't knowingly cheat my grandma, but he may not have known. I don't mind, though.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What lovely gifts from your Grandmother! How lucky you are. Both rings are very pretty and very unique!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/10/2009 2:56:34 PM
Author: mscushion
Yes, it may well be that it is a substitute or synthetic. I''m pretty sure that jeweler wouldn''t knowingly cheat my grandma, but he may not have known. I don''t mind, though.
MrsCushion,
I didn’t mean to imply that your jeweller cheated your grandmother with a synthetic or substitute stone. I’m sorry if it came out that way. I feel terrible for coming off as so insensitive.
7.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
my personal opinion..and this is based soley on guess..I think it does look like an aqua..I don''t know what it is maybe I am crazy and just guessing or maybe it''s from looking at tons of aquas but it looks, to me, like an aqua(remember that is just a guess from a picture so really has no proof or bearing)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty and unique! What wonderful family heirlooms.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh, what fun! They''re big and bold and handsome and look great on your pretty hand.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
mscushion, that ruby ring is a treasure! I''m not a big fan of blue, but your aqua looks very pretty too!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
OOh, I really like the art deco style of the aqua. Are the small circles meant to be empty or can you fill them with melee?

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2009 4:13:23 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 8/10/2009 2:56:34 PM
Author: mscushion
Yes, it may well be that it is a substitute or synthetic. I''m pretty sure that jeweler wouldn''t knowingly cheat my grandma, but he may not have known. I don''t mind, though.
MrsCushion,
I didn’t mean to imply that your jeweller cheated your grandmother with a synthetic or substitute stone. I’m sorry if it came out that way. I feel terrible for coming off as so insensitive.
7.gif
Don''t worry about it because that''s not how I took your comment!
1.gif
I said myself that I was wondering whether it''s really an (unmodified) aqua.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 12:59:50 PM
Author: litebrite
OOh, I really like the art deco style of the aqua. Are the small circles meant to be empty or can you fill them with melee?
Good question, hadn''t thought of that. I''m pretty sure the silver setting is meant to stay as is, but hey, good idea for a reset if I ever feel like one!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty and fun rings! I second amethystguy, that stone looks like an aqua to me. I also find it odd, and while it''s not super common have also seen aquas and other fine colored stones (but usually not rubies, sapphires, emeralds) set in silver.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of modern jewelry, just think of David Yurman. Lot''s of silver in his designs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results