shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally got my spess!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
A preface, having noted heavy conversation afoot lately: I know this is not a TOP spess. :wink2: I can't find, nor probably afford, a pure traffic cone orange spess. A shame, really, but such is life and limitations must be accepted. Thankfully I have managed to find one that I am in love with, despite a touch of yellow and a slight bowtie. :bigsmile: I'm not perfect, so it's fitting that none of my gems are either! :lol:

Anyway, after a few months of searching, I found a gem from Jerry at Gemart - a 3.46 Loliondo, eyeclean but with a bit of silk. He was brilliant to do business with - kind and very attentive. This stone was one he got from a contact in Bangkok, and is thus a native cut. However, he didn't feel it necessary to have it recut. It is symmetrical and is not windowed at all.

The photos?? IMPOSSIBLE. I only have a few stones - pink/blue diamonds, tsav, malaya, emerald. None of them are even 1/10th as difficult to photograph. It doesn't help that it was dark by the time I received it, so no natural light to work with! :nono: When photographed normally, this stone turns brown with flash. So I have to photograph without flash, and then edit it to be the color it should be in normal lighting. The first photo was taken in my kitchen, with the flash. You can see the brown tones. The second was taken in the semi-dark and then the 'flash' option edited on to it with my iPhone Camera+ program. The second photo is representative of the color I see IRL and I LOVE it (though I think the camera has amped up the saturation by a touch)! :love:

spess_1.jpg

spess2.jpg

I just wanted to share that the search for this particular type of stone is finished. What's next?! :devil:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOOOOOOOT!! I'm so happy for you. And I hear ya on the orange photography thing!

As for what's next...How about setting something? ;-)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Setting? I don't understand what you mean?... :lol:

No, but really - my stomach just drops at the price of gold. I keep telling my husband that I'll set something when gold drops back down to $1000!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. There is just something about orange gems that make them very lively stones. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A beauty! Can't wait for daytime pics.

Totally feel your pain about the gold prices. In the meantime, though, you could come up with a design and such. So as soon as gold prices drop (fingers crossed), you'll be ready to go! At least that's what I spend my daydreaming time doing. But when you have the perfect design planned out, it's so hard to stop yourself from going ahead with it! So maybe best to wait on all fronts :lol:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1334587709|3172298 said:
A beauty! Can't wait for daytime pics.

Totally feel your pain about the gold prices. In the meantime, though, you could come up with a design and such. So as soon as gold prices drop (fingers crossed), you'll be ready to go! At least that's what I spend my daydreaming time doing. But when you have the perfect design planned out, it's so hard to stop yourself from going ahead with it! So maybe best to wait on all fronts :lol:

Tell me about it. A setting can cost more than the stone these days.

It is a very nice stone BTW and a great size!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations - I love the color in that second photo!!!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It is a beauty!! Congratulations! And I sympathize with the photography issue. There is no way to capture the spess in a photo.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome to the world of ORANGE! enjoy your new pretty.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now THAT is a pretty spess! What I really care about in spessies is saturation,and yours sure does! It looks to be a gorgeous stone! Yippee, another satisfied spess customer giving me hope that there are some left out there...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous spessartite; it has become a rarity to find a spessartite that is large, clean and well coloured without costing a fortune. I know what you mean about the price of gold. I have 2 designs ready to go but I am waiting for the price of gold to come down. It bugs me to have to pay that much for a setting in comparison to the price of the gem. :tongue:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really beautiful, and I'm very happy for you. :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is beautiful. Will you please post more pictures so we can admire from afar?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your spessarite is very beautiful - to my eyes!!! I love the intensity of it. Very nice selection, justginger! Enjoy it - now... what are the setting plans? :naughty:

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think you did a great job with the photos - spess is my photographic nemesis, no matter what i do - even manipulating tone, saturation, hue, brightness, contrast ... can't even get the color right. The nice orange ones all photograph yellow or brown for me, and the inclusions!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results