shape
carat
color
clarity

Emeralds...Show and Tell

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I actually HAD a very pretty small square Columbian emerald that I bought when I was like 20. I wore it almost to death and then gave the ring to my mother who did wear it to death. Wish I'd known more about caring for gemstones back then.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So how do you re-oil an emerald? And how on earth are you supposed to clean them?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1390206970|3596834 said:
So how do you re-oil an emerald? And how on earth are you supposed to clean them?

I'm not sure what type of oil they use. I bet most jewelers have access to it. Good question about the cleaning.

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
So many beautiful emeralds!! I unexpectedly received one from my mom for Christmas/birthday. She's a jewelry lover too which is probably how I got hooked :) -- all those visits to jewelry stores when I was a very young.

This is an antique art deco piece, I believe. I love how unique it is -- the chain is like nothing I've seen before with the alternating shapes. Did not realize how many different shaped diamonds are in the necklace until I read the report --32 straight/tapered baguettes, 18 round brilliant cuts, 18 princess cuts, 14 fan shaped, and 8 marquise.

The emerald unfortunately has a sizeable window although the photo does not show the color well as it is much prettier in person. I am not an expert on emeralds, so comments on the emerald would be appreciated. It came with an appraisal which says the emerald has "indications of being oiled and resin filled". No information on origin. It has a clarity grade of SI2 and color vslbG/6/5 with 70% brilliance. The diamond clasp is one of my favorite parts of the necklace though no one else can see it.

I have nothing to wear it with and no occasion qualified for such a piece, so I am simply enjoying looking at it sitting pretty in its box!! If anyone has information on the style and any guesses on when it was made, would love to learn more about that.

emerald_necklace1.jpg

emerald_necklace2.jpg

emerald_necklace3.jpg

diamond_clasp.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsM: That is a stunner! I love art deco pieces and that one is truly spectacular. Just love it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear has THE most beautiful emerald bracelet. I hope she pops in to share it with us again. I truly love her jewellery.

BTW Freke, re-oiling emeralds can be done in various ways and it depends on what type of oiling is being undertaken. Years ago emeralds were simply place in cedar oil - I'm assuming that the oil was sucked up into the fissures but that seems too simplistic to be correct!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1390260473|3597234 said:
Sarahbear has THE most beautiful emerald bracelet. I hope she pops in to share it with us again. I truly love her jewellery.

BTW Freke, re-oiling emeralds can be done in various ways and it depends on what type of oiling is being undertaken. Years ago emeralds were simply place in cedar oil - I'm assuming that the oil was sucked up into the fissures but that seems too simplistic to be correct!

There are also companies that will take the oil and and put in modern and stable resins if you don't want to have to re-oil. This is perfectly acceptable treatment.

I believe there was a vacuum process used to make the emeralds retain the oil.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsM, your necklace is stunning, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1390206970|3596834 said:

Actually emeralds aren't meant to be sparkly gems, and even a little natural oils from your hand enhance their satiny looks. Bizarre, but true. If you need to clean them, I guess a little warm water and a chamois will suffice. Lighter and pale emeralds are more sparkly, but they also don't typically have as much treatment as darker emeralds, so one can just clean those with emerald safe cleaner.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can see that being the case TL, but almost every emerald I've ever seen has been set with diamonds. What so you do about cleaning those?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1390058616|3595430 said:
My first emerald, a tiny stone about 0.42ct, bought in Hong Kong's Jade Market back in Nov 2013, amongst my other CS purchases during the same trip, most likely to be tension-set in cobalt chrome by Boone:

gemstoneshk2013_01.jpg

DK :))

I didn't realize the Jade Market in HK sold natural gemstones. I live in HK and thought it was mostly fakes or heavily treated stones mostly for the tourist market, so I never really looked! Usually when we have visitors from work I will bring them to the market to buy cheap souvenirs to bring home.. I will have to make sure that I take a closer look next time I'm in the area.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
MrsM, in your 3rd picture, your emerald is showing the glow, and a bluish/green color that I covet. I think it's beautiful!

Can we talk about resins?

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
@minousbijoux and dk: thanks! never thought I would have an emerald, so I am happy!

@preg: Thanks--I love the slight bluish-green color too. Yes, would love to talk resins! I know very little except from what I've read here on PS. I do not know what kind of resin was used on this stone as that was not stated in the appraisal. Are there any indications by examining the stone more closely that would hint at the type?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Regarding MrsM's emerald, how come I don't see an obvious window? Does the glowiness of the emerald mask it in the those shots. If I look closely, I think I can see one, but only because I've been told.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1390273697|3597397 said:
I can see that being the case TL, but almost every emerald I've ever seen has been set with diamonds. What so you do about cleaning those?

I would just clean around the emerald then, with a soft toothbrush on the diamonds, and avoid the emerald.

Stable safe resins aren't affected by cleaning, but oils are.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general, Colombian emeralds have the best colour but as always, sometimes other locations also have well coloured emeralds.
Care: no ultrasonic, no steamer, no bleach / chlorine / ammonia based jewellery cleaning solution. Just a moist soft cloth wipe.
Emeralds come in many hues from yellowish green to straight green to bluish green.
Most well coloured emeralds are highly included, most light coloured emeralds are very clean due to the way chromium affects the growth of the beryl crystal. This is why many light coloured emeralds do not require any treatment.

There are many different types of oils and resins. Treatment level matters, even when oiled. A minor treated emerald will hold up better than heavily treated emerald over time.

Oils
Some are dyed, some aren't, some will discolour over time and some are infused with resin. Oiling is stable but not permanent. Oiled emeralds need to be reoiled every few years. This process is best done under vacuum so that it gets deep into the surface fissures. Oiling is a messy process and some emeralds will leak.

Resin
Some are dyed, some aren't, some will discolour over time. This treatment is stable and permanent. If necessary, the resin can be safely and completely removed. Resins have come into their own now and some are accepted by the trade. The newer resins are no longer showing up under UV light.

As always, disclosure is important so you know what you are getting.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: re-oiling, no joke, however, the vendor whom I bought the emerald from, advised me to rub a bit of Baby Oil onto the stone from time to time, and I thought cedar oil is the norm!

Re: CS shopping at the Jade Market in HK, there were 2 stalls when I was there, however, one was only there part time.

I attended a jewellery exhibition in Nov 13 that was open to the public and had CS on sale, and bought myself the ruby cabs and the amethyst at the show. I shall better myself with a deeper pocket for my next trip there in 2015. :naughty:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have posted my bracelet before but it is 1 of my favorite pieces. Orginal PLAT art deco bracelet with single and full cuts with 5ct Emerald Asscher.

Attachments

• _78.bmp
    742.6 KB · Views: 709
  • _79.bmp
    870.1 KB · Views: 692

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
SarahBear--that bracelet is to die for! Love it!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
SB, lovely as always. I had not realized that you had changed your login name.

These emeralds look much better on my Mac.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
LD|1390260473|3597234 said:

Oh thank you LD! You know I covet your collection as well. :appl: Before Art Deco and Antiques came "in style" on PS it was wonderful to discuss pieces with you and find another antique jeweler lover on the boards! I miss our discussions! Oh and your art deco diamond bracelets are still one of my favorite PS pieces!

Also thank you for hte update about reoiling!!!! The pictures are from when I first got the bracelet back in 2009 I think. I definiteily noticed that after 5 years it needs a little TLC! I'll have to look into the cedar oil process.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh SB I just love that bracelet... Lovely emeralds everyone! I am so afraid of them - both buying and then caring for them.

mixer_star

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any companies they would recommend for re-oiling or treating an emerald? I have one that really needs it. It's in my avatar. Sorry it's not a better picture.

Thanks!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, gorgeous emeralds everyone - so envious =)

LD I'm another that never tires of seeing your ring.
DK - good pickup and I'm in love with those red jubes :lickout:
SB - beautiful bracelet and another I never tire of seeing

MrsM ... stunning necklace! How long have you had it? If you feel it's too formal for your lifestyle then it is permissible to change it so that you can enjoy wearing it. If it were me I would think about taking the emerald and it's setting out of the necklace and putting it on another chain to wear as a pendant. Then simply join up the lovely diamond chain and both pieces become more "everyday" - yes, even with jeans ;-)

You could even have the emerald set on one of those pearl enhancer clips so that if you did want to wear them together again, you could.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
mixer_star, did you buy that emerald ring about a year or more ago off eBay from oldtreasures333? I remember seeing it and wanting to bid on it but didn't have money at the time. It looks pretty.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: at SB621's bracelet!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1390334365|3597850 said:
I have posted my bracelet before but it is 1 of my favorite pieces. Orginal PLAT art deco bracelet with single and full cuts with 5ct Emerald Asscher.

There are some things I will never ever get tired of - and this is one of them, SB.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine I bought off eBay a few years ago. I paid just over $1000 and thought it good value for my money. I only wear it occasionally, I think emeralds are easily damaged especially as this ring seems to have an exposed setting. And it's more green in real life. This was in the kitchen at night.

_13942.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's stunning. Get it out off the box and wear it anywhere and everywhere. Why not, such beautiful things need to be enjoyed. It might give the supermarket cashier a shock but emeralds and diamonds look perfectly fine with trackpants and a t shirt in my book! :twirl:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1390363878|3598236 said:
SB621|1390334365|3597850 said:

There are some things I will never ever get tired of - and this is one of them, SB.

Awwwwww thank Minous! Sometimes I feel I spam PS with some of my pieces. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results