shape
carat
color
clarity

Does a 14k/18k stamped really reflects on the gold content?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! This question has been on my mind for quite a while, does a 14k/18k stamped really reflects on the gold content? Is there a possibility for a dishonest seller to stamp ''18k'' on a 14k ring mount? TIA

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 12:25:26 PM
Author:chictomato
Hi there! This question has been on my mind for quite a while, does a 14k/18k stamped really reflects on the gold content? Is there a possibility for a dishonest seller to stamp ''18k'' on a 14k ring mount? TIA
Yes.

Ask your jeweler if they have the ability to check the purity of the setting before you set the gem.

you can also purchase gold test kits(I''ve never used one so have no idea who to) I used to always ask my setter to do this; but he now does it without me even asking as he knows I always do.

-A

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Of course it is possible. A dishonest seller could technically stamp whatever the wanted on there (i.e. "Puppies and Rainbows" - though that would be hard to fit!) But a REPUTABLE jeweler would not do this unless it was an absolute mistake.

If you are unsure, go get it tested (at another jeweler!).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 12:25:26 PM
Author:chictomato
Hi there! This question has been on my mind for quite a while, does a 14k/18k stamped really reflects on the gold content? Is there a possibility for a dishonest seller to stamp '18k' on a 14k ring mount? TIA
You've just discovered something that happens all the time by shady jewelers. Under carating gold, or stamping gold plated metal with gold hallmarks has been going on for ages.

Think about all the unscrupulous sellers that stamp Tiffany&Co or VC&A in some pieces too. Happens all the time.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks to all the replies! So have you wonder if logr and other online seller are honest enough?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
no way. I bought a 14kt stamped figero necklace last year and it came back gold plated. ALWAYS have your purchases checked MOST DEF. FROM EBAY! There are ALOT of china sellers selling gold rings and such as 14kt and its not. LOGR seems to be honest, but always double check!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is the difference between the US and England. In the US, each jeweller stamps their own jewelry (a kind of honour system). In the UK, the pieces are tested and stamped by an assay office (and falsifying a stamp carries quite hefty punishment).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 10:30:31 PM
Author: chictomato
Thanks to all the replies! So have you wonder if logr and other online seller are honest enough?

I trust LOGR because the gold is weighty enough, and the 18K is very weighty. I never had them acid tested, but I do suspect real gold at the very least. They have a lot of customers, many which are VERY VOCAL Pricescopers
2.gif
. If a PS''er found out their 14K ring came back as gold plated or some lesser karat gold, it would be splattered all over PS for everyone to see. I think Stephen knows that, and he does try to make a quality product for the money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results