Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1334599219|3172467 said:
I absolutely ADORE my diamond's bum!
Hey, you gotta nice rear end there, Lady! :naughty:

How funny!
I have also admired my diamonds' butts.

Maybe we should start a thread about Diamond Bums. :lol:
Of course, diamond have to be loose to show off their bums.

I wonder if there is a medicine for a leaky pavilion.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: Kenny!

I'm not sure whether I feel a little queasy though =)

Now then here's a challenge ........... do you think a diamond has to be loose for us to see it's bum? How about if we encircle the pavillion (a bit like a type of bezel), attached somehow at 3'clock and 9 o'clock to a setting and it turns in a setting like that. The only metal holding the stone would be the circle around the pavillion. That was my idea ages ago but I couldn't envisage how the "twirling" mechanism would work against the setting!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I put together some ideas about a year ago about how the mechanism could work but I was concerned that it would cost an arm and a leg to have custom made. However, interestingly, a few days ago I saw a diamond melee ring that turns and so I'm going to buy one and examine it to see if it would be possible to substitute with my stone!

Just be sure to post pics, or maybe a link? Just so we can also add our .02cents worth?

How about if we encircle the pavillion (a bit like a type of bezel), attached somehow at 3'clock and 9 o'clock to a setting and it turns in a setting like that. The only metal holding the stone would be the circle around the pavillion. That was my idea ages ago but I couldn't envisage how the "twirling" mechanism would work against the setting!

I think the idea of a swivel at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock could work for a pendant, not sure about a ring though. It would also need to be attached to the outside of the ring around the pavilion (let's call it a bezel for simplicity since I don't know it's proper name either) so would add considerably to the space between the diamond and the melee surround. However I'm sure it could be done but as you say, it depends on the skill of the bench and the cost.

Hans Meevis has done some intricate "turning" rings but revolving rather than flipping if you get my drift. It's on his blog/site somewhere - BRB.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I mean. Imagine that there is no basket underneath the gemstone. The "halo" of the shank is suspended by 4 legs and high enough to allow the diamond to sit so that the culet is pointing towards the finger i.e. as a normal ring would. When the central circle is rotated, the culet is face up and protrudes above the halo - like an old fashioned scribbler ring.

Rotating ring idea.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaaargh! Firefox just had a brainfart in the middle of uploading pics and I had to restart it (no mean feat when you have about 40 tabs open).

Here you go - it's another "Making of..." (the brown one) http://www.meevis.com/jewelry-making-class-spinning-ring.htm

Ha! Determination will win out.
It shows that just about anything is possible :))

Botheration! It's having the dickens of a time uploading pics so they'll have to come later.

However I've just seen your next post and it reminds me...do you remember those rings where the central band was half ruby and half sapphire and there were two diamond halves that you could flip so that you were either wearing a ruby ring flanked by diamonds or a sapphire ring flanked by diamonds? It looked like 3 rings from the top or one ring from the bottom. So the where-withall exists, it's just re-purposing it to fit this.

ETA: edited to add pics.

HansMeevis-spinning-ring-1.png

HansMeevis-spinning-ring-HIDI.png

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
LD, I hope LOGR gets back to you with a reasonable compromise because the style of that pendant is stunning!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin - thank you for the links. I had no idea what you meant but going onto that website I can see that the ring actuallys spins around in a circle? What I want is for the diamond to be shown face up and then face down. If it spins, I'll only see it either face up all the time or face down all the time (unless I unscrew it and turn it over - not even sure that's possible with the rings in the link you've posted). I need my diamond to turn completely upside down and back again!

I'm not sure what rings you're referring to? The 3 colour diamond ones????? Do you have a picture perhaps?

BTW are you based in the UK? Your "English" is very "English" if that makes sense!!!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you be angry? I am!

LOGR has offered a partial refund of $50 or I can return for the full money back (no deductions).

Since this pendant was sold as VS/SI1 for $650 I don't feel $50 is adequate as a partial refund. Am I wrong? What would you expect?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely do NOT think that is an adequate refund. In fact (if you don't mind me saying) I think it hits right on the edge of being an insult. It's been a while since I bought any settings from LOGR so I don't remember the cost of having them upgrade their diamonds, but I'm quite sure it's always been in excess of $100 and those were rings with less diamonds than your pendant.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interestingly, before I had posted above, I had actually sent LOGR an email saying that I found his partial refund derisory as I had been sold the pendant as VS and SI1 diamonds and some weren't. I went on to say that I felt that $100 would have been a more acceptable partial refund and within seconds of sending it, I received a paypal notification of $100 refund and an email saying please let me know you've received it!

I'm actually happy with the $100 because I feel I've paid a fair price for what I've got - it may be more than others would have paid but I'm happy with getting it for $550 and don't have the hassle of returning!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1334693329|3173510 said:
Interestingly, before I had posted above, I had actually sent LOGR an email saying that I found his partial refund derisory as I had been sold the pendant as VS and SI1 diamonds and some weren't. I went on to say that I felt that $100 would have been a more acceptable partial refund and within seconds of sending it, I received a paypal notification of $100 refund and an email saying please let me know you've received it!

I'm actually happy with the $100 because I feel I've paid a fair price for what I've got - it may be more than others would have paid but I'm happy with getting it for $550 and don't have the hassle of returning!

Then all's well that ends well! I really do like the design of that pendant! :appl: :appl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Colorluvr. I do too and at least I can think about setting the diamond and not worrying about whether I'll send it back! The setting I mean, not the diamond!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's what I mean ....... see how the inner bit of the ring turns over?

IMG_9756.JPG

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the pendant and love the grey diamond, especially it's bum!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hi LD.... I've had an interstate visitor all day/evening so have only now had a chance to reply.

I'm pleased for you that LOGR revised their offer and that it's acceptable to you since it's a very pretty design and I'm sure you'll make good use of it.

Starzin - thank you for the links. I had no idea what you meant but going onto that website I can see that the ring actuallys spins around in a circle? What I want is for the diamond to be shown face up and then face down. If it spins, I'll only see it either face up all the time or face down all the time (unless I unscrew it and turn it over - not even sure that's possible with the rings in the link you've posted). I need my diamond to turn completely upside down and back again!

You're welcome and I'm sorry for the confusion. Yes, I did understand exactly what you meant, I just posted the HM rings to indicate that I thought the same sort of technical bits could be applied to what you had in mind. I did find a couple of pictures too but yours is MUCH better - ooooh really rather like that. :love: Have you bought it? Looks to be something like 12 garnet melee on the front, what's on the other side?

Here's a closer look at the side view (pin) of something similar. However I think the secret to these - both the one you posted and this one - is that there must be a gap between the two sides because in fact there are two stones set back to back. This is hidden by the bezel between the two sides and allows the pin to be attached there and consequently extend into that gap. The one below also shows a little locking mechanism N and S. See the little nib on the bezel at the top and tiny loop top and bottom on the setting?

This does present something of a small problem to do the same for your diamond...unless of course you would contemplate slicing in in half so you could have a bezel to hold the two sides together? :shock:

I'm not sure what rings you're referring to? The 3 colour diamond ones????? Do you have a picture perhaps?

Sorry, I thought these were rather prevalent at one stage and that you had probably seen them. In the ones I remember, the diamond rings actually sat right next to the coloured band at rest - these are in "partial flip" if you will. You can just see the sapphire band beginning where the diamond bands join.

BTW are you based in the UK? Your "English" is very "English" if that makes sense!!!!!
Were you referring to brainfart, botheration or Dickens? :lol: No I'm an Aussie born and bred of Australian born parents LD, though the Oxford is the only reference in my book rather than Webster's/Macquarie dictionaries so maybe that accounts for it ;))

flip-side-pin.png

flip-sapphire-ruby.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin - thank you. The second picture with the pin is exactly the design!

The one that I've posted actually has irradiated "red" diamonds on one side and black diamonds on the other. You're correct that there is a small tiny piece of metal between the outside shank and inner turning "bit" - but it only gives the appearance of an airline. In case you're curious, here's a photo of the "red" diamonds. As I said, I only got it because I wanted to examine the mechanism.

British/Australian - we're all the same! I understand your terminology now! :bigsmile:

IMG_9755.JPG

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I still like it - irradiated or not. So when you've finished inspecting it, please send it over to me :bigsmile: and I'm not even a fan of black diamonds, I just really like this ring, I'm easily amused I guess. Or is it going back? Apologies for calling the diamonds garnets.

Now I think we still have an idea communication problem and I'm not sure I can draw anything that will illuminate but I'll give it a try. Gah! Where's Mike when you need him, get yourself in here man!

bezel-pin.jpg

heart-pin-1.jpg

ColoredStonesLady

Rough_Rock
I love the diamond and the setting, they go together perfectly!! :love: I'm glad you worked things out with LOGR, you should always get what you asked & paid for. The flip rings are pretty cool, there is always something new to discover. I have been dreaming of a pair of (tiny!) grey diamond earrings for years. I will enjoy your collection & Kenny's in the meantime! :D

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your gray diamond is just so pretty and sparkly! I've never seen one before. :love:

I love the pendant too.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1334789924|3174600 said:
Yes, I still like it - irradiated or not. So when you've finished inspecting it, please send it over to me :bigsmile: and I'm not even a fan of black diamonds, I just really like this ring, I'm easily amused I guess. Or is it going back? Apologies for calling the diamonds garnets.

Now I think we still have an idea communication problem and I'm not sure I can draw anything that will illuminate but I'll give it a try. Gah! Where's Mike when you need him, get yourself in here man!

Starzin lol - it's not a pin! In the designs you've posted there's a pin. In the ring I've posted there is a tiny screw from the side of the reversible diamond halo that you can see (it looks like a tiny bit of metal from the top view), but from the outside edge of the shank there is nothing to view. TBH, thank you for helping with this but I know how to design this and have done for sometime! The problem is the cost! ;))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, the fact that you love its bum just goes to show that we love our babies no matter what and think they're the cutest in the world... :bigsmile: :praise:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, though it appears that you've found some good examples, this is one of the few times I knew immediately what you were talking about because I've seen many examples of a flipping ring (american use of "flipping," not english) on - don't shoot me here - Gem Shopping. There is a guy named Mark the Opal Hunter from Australia and he has all these beautiful Lightning Ridge blacks and rather than covering one side, he mounts them in swiveling mounts and calls them "Night and Day" rings. You might want to look at their website, for more examples.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin lol - it's not a pin! In the designs you've posted there's a pin. In the ring I've posted there is a tiny screw from the side of the reversible diamond halo that you can see (it looks like a tiny bit of metal from the top view), but from the outside edge of the shank there is nothing to view. TBH, thank you for helping with this but I know how to design this and have done for sometime! The problem is the cost! ;))

Gah! After I got out my crayons 'n' everything. :oops: :o ;)) :bigsmile: Does that mean you've had some quotes? Maybe the grey is just going to have to go in the pendant while you save some pennies then. While I like the idea, I have to admit I would be a little afraid for the grey's bum when it's upside so maybe you can console yourself with that.

Minous - Now you tell me! I'm off to stalk Mark the Opal Hunter! :))

Problem solvered then.Whew!

ETA: I actually knew from the beginning what you wanted too LD, I just couldn't wrap my head around how it would work with one solid stone rather that two different ones that are sandwiched.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results