shape
carat
color
clarity

Common Misconceptions about Emeralds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A lot of people run away from fear when emeralds are mentioned because there are quite a few misconceptions floating around, here are some common ones:

1. Emeralds are soft: At a Mohs of 7.5-8, Emeralds are harder (more resistant to scratching) than Quartz, Garnet, Peridot, and many other gems. Because of the way they form, they contain fissures and cracks that make them vulnerable to damage via impacts and chips. The risk for most damage is during the setting of the stone. They should be set with prongs protecting the sharp corners which are most prone to breakage and chipping. However most gems are vulnerable to impacts along their cleavage, even diamonds. Low quality, low transparency (many many visible inclusions) emeralds can be very susceptible to blunt force damage and should be avoided.

2. The best emeralds are from Columbia: Actually it''s Colombia;-) colOmbia;-)

3. Emeralds are treated with green oil or dyes: Only the lowest quality emeralds (and absolute cheapest) are treated this way. It is very easy to detect, contrary to color changing treatments in other gemstones.

4. You can get an very nice green gem that looks better than an emerald: Because of the impurities and the way an emerald forms, they have a very silky and surreal green color that is not reproducible in any other gemstone. An emerald is a unique and romantic green gemstone. A well trained eye can detect an emerald in comparison to other green gems from quite a distance away.

5. The better emeralds are the darker ones: Each color will speak to each person, the best color emerald is the one you find personally attractive.

6. High quality emeralds from Colombia are expensive: While the perfect colors go up to infinity in price, lighter saturation and tone emeralds are easily available from Colombia at significantly under $1000 per carat for a 1 carat stone. Light green emeralds (crystals) are very affordable and a very durable option.

7. Emeralds should not contain windows: Not always. There are always exceptions. Color is the most important value in Emeralds and all color gemstones. A poor color stone is worth little no matter how well cut.

8. The closer to the mine you purchase the stone, the better: Definitely not. The closer to the mine, the higher probability of fakes, dyes, glass, or other tourist traps.

9. The color in Emeralds is enhanced: No, color in emeralds is all natural.

--Joshua

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
#3 and #9 contradict each other a bit (it sounds like what you''re saying is that the color in emeralds is enhanced, but only if they were poor-quality ones dunked in a dye bath) but thank you for posting this summary. It''s particularly timely for me as I''m on the hunt for a good-quality pair of emerald sidestones to use in my e-ring reset project. I love tsavorites but they just don''t have that luxurious glow, so I am hellbent on having emeralds and will just have to be super careful with my hands.
2.gif

What are your thoughts with respect to bezeling emeralds? I prefer to bezel my stones, both because I like the look and because that setting gives them more protection. If the biggest risk of fracturing emeralds comes while they''re being set, though, is that a bad idea? Or should I be okay as long as I go with a jeweler who''s comfortable working with colored stones?

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/8/2009 9:34:23 PM
Author: Liane
#3 and #9 contradict each other a bit (it sounds like what you''re saying is that the color in emeralds is enhanced, but only if they were poor-quality ones dunked in a dye bath) but thank you for posting this summary. It''s particularly timely for me as I''m on the hunt for a good-quality pair of emerald sidestones to use in my e-ring reset project. I love tsavorites but they just don''t have that luxurious glow, so I am hellbent on having emeralds and will just have to be super careful with my hands.
2.gif

What are your thoughts with respect to bezeling emeralds? I prefer to bezel my stones, both because I like the look and because that setting gives them more protection. If the biggest risk of fracturing emeralds comes while they''re being set, though, is that a bad idea? Or should I be okay as long as I go with a jeweler who''s comfortable working with colored stones?
What I meant by enhanced is they are not treated to enhance their color, like heating in sapphires or rubies. The are only treated will colorless oils, resins, or polymers. Dies are an unapproved and uncommon technique.

I definitely understand what you mean by the glow.;'')

For a center gemstone on an e-ring I would persuade against bezel-ing if the stone was going to be in a challenging environment. For normal use, or use as side-stones I think a bezel would work well. I would go with a jeweler who is comfortable setting Emeralds and you should have no problems.

--Joshua

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think some tsavorite ladies will have a fight with you about #4. LOL!
2.gif

Interesting synopsis. Thank you.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I happen not to like most emeralds very much and strongly agree with statement #4, "You can get a very nice green gem that looks better than an emerald." That''s not a misconception. It''s an opinion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In #4, I thought he said you can''t get a green gem that looks better than an emerald. My eyes are going bonky.
emcrook.gif
I better go to bed.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for posting synopsis!

I agree with Glitterata on #4. I''m assuming that instead of "better than" you mean "the same as".

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 12:23:24 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
In #4, I thought he said you can''t get a green gem that looks better than an emerald. My eyes are going bonky.
emcrook.gif
I better go to bed.

I have read it like this:
The first part is the misconception:.......You can get an very nice green gem that looks better than an emerald'':
The second part is the poster''s opinion......Because of the impurities and the way an emerald forms, they have a very silky and surreal green color that is not reproducible in any other gemstone. An emerald is a unique and romantic green gemstone. A well trained eye can detect an emerald in comparison to other green gems from quite a distance away.

I just don''t get this "better than" argument. I think you can get a very nice green gem better than an emerald, it just depends on how each individual determines "better green" It''s all a matter of taste. I just wish I had a nice emerald of my own!

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Based on this discussion, I think it''s safe to say that one of the common misconceptions about emerald dealers is that you can sell more emeralds by starting a thread like this.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not an emerald expert, but here are my views

Date: 12/8/2009 9:24:33 PM
Author:serenitydiamonds
A lot of people run away from fear when emeralds are mentioned because there are quite a few misconceptions floating around, here are some common ones:

1. Emeralds are soft: At a Mohs of 7.5-8, Emeralds are harder (more resistant to scratching) than Quartz, Garnet, Peridot, and many other gems. Because of the way they form, they contain fissures and cracks that make them vulnerable to damage via impacts and chips. The risk for most damage is during the setting of the stone. They should be set with prongs protecting the sharp corners which are most prone to breakage and chipping. However most gems are vulnerable to impacts along their cleavage, even diamonds. Low quality, low transparency (many many visible inclusions) emeralds can be very susceptible to blunt force damage and should be avoided. Even if soft may not be the most adequate term, emeralds are more fragile than other gems of similar scratch resistance, because of those pesky fissures

2. The best emeralds are from Columbia: Actually it''s Colombia;-) colOmbia;-) I am surprised that a mispelling is such an important misconception as to rank #2
25.gif

3. Emeralds are treated with green oil or dyes: Only the lowest quality emeralds (and absolute cheapest) are treated this way. It is very easy to detect, contrary to color changing treatments in other gemstones.

4. You can get an very nice green gem that looks better than an emerald: Because of the impurities and the way an emerald forms, they have a very silky and surreal green color that is not reproducible in any other gemstone. An emerald is a unique and romantic green gemstone. A well trained eye can detect an emerald in comparison to other green gems from quite a distance away. Personal opinion (although I agree). The fact that an emerald can be spotted from a distance doesn''t make them better or worse than other green gems, just more identifiable.

5. The better emeralds are the darker ones: Each color will speak to each person, the best color emerald is the one you find personally attractive. I agree, but we shouldn''t discard the price and colour correlation so quickly

6. High quality emeralds from Colombia are expensive: While the perfect colors go up to infinity in price, lighter saturation and tone emeralds are easily available from Colombia at significantly under $1000 per carat for a 1 carat stone. Light green emeralds (crystals) are very affordable and a very durable option. I wouldn''t consider light green, unsaturated emerald to be high quality. There is no logical correlation between the 2 statements, as they have different subjects.

7. Emeralds should not contain windows: Not always. There are always exceptions. Color is the most important value in Emeralds and all color gemstones. A poor color stone is worth little no matter how well cut. I disagree - emeralds should not contain windows and a well cut stone shouldn''t have one. However, a window may be forgiven because of colour (which doesn''t mean the window is ok). Furthermore, I go back to statement 5: personal taste is the final test and a large window will be a major factor for some gem lovers. Not to mention that it affects the perception of colour.

8. The closer to the mine you purchase the stone, the better: Definitely not. The closer to the mine, the higher probability of fakes, dyes, glass, or other tourist traps. This statement feels rather self serving, coming from a jewelry seller. There are crooks all over the chain (you know all those "birthstone jewelry" that often isn''t disclosed as synthetic?). If anyone is spending a significant amount of money on an emerald, they should take it to an independent appraiser.

9. The color in Emeralds is enhanced: No, color in emeralds is all natural. Unless there is green dye or resin

--Joshua

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/9/2009 12:07:35 AM
Author: glitterata
I happen not to like most emeralds very much and strongly agree with statement #4, ''You can get a very nice green gem that looks better than an emerald.'' That''s not a misconception. It''s an opinion.
I was not clear with my wording, I apologize. You cannot get a green gem that looks like an emerald (meaning similar visual response) that is better. I.e. you cannot get something with the silky hue that is not an emerald.

--Joshua

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/9/2009 3:14:58 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain

6. High quality emeralds from Colombia are expensive: While the perfect colors go up to infinity in price, lighter saturation and tone emeralds are easily available from Colombia at significantly under $1000 per carat for a 1 carat stone. Light green emeralds (crystals) are very affordable and a very durable option. I wouldn't consider light green, unsaturated emerald to be high quality. There is no logical correlation between the 2 statements, as they have different subjects.

Well it depends on how you define high quality, but in this case I was referring to a nice (but not perfect) color, low inclusions, etc. A lot of Pricescoper's prefer the lighter blue sapphires, even though those are not considered the 'best color' according to the trade. Very high quality (transparent and durable) emeralds of lighter colors are quite affordable. While they are not the top color, it is a popular color for many countries around the world and is an option for those wanting an emerald that is beautiful, not too included, and not too expensive.

7. Emeralds should not contain windows: Not always. There are always exceptions. Color is the most important value in Emeralds and all color gemstones. A poor color stone is worth little no matter how well cut. I disagree - emeralds should not contain windows and a well cut stone shouldn't have one. However, a window may be forgiven because of colour (which doesn't mean the window is ok). Furthermore, I go back to statement 5: personal taste is the final test and a large window will be a major factor for some gem lovers. Not to mention that it affects the perception of colour.
Yes definitely personal taste.

8. The closer to the mine you purchase the stone, the better: Definitely not. The closer to the mine, the higher probability of fakes, dyes, glass, or other tourist traps. This statement feels rather self serving, coming from a jewelry seller. There are crooks all over the chain (you know all those 'birthstone jewelry' that often isn't disclosed as synthetic?). If anyone is spending a significant amount of money on an emerald, they should take it to an independent appraiser.
Not meant to be self serving. The percentage of 'crooks' is significantly higher closer to the mines, significantly. You would be hard pressed to find someone selling a green glass 'emerald' at a retailer. It would be very easy to find a glass 'emerald' in Bogota. The same is true for other gems as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 7:09:05 AM
Author: serenitydiamonds

Date: 12/9/2009 12:07:35 AM
Author: glitterata
I happen not to like most emeralds very much and strongly agree with statement #4, ''You can get a very nice green gem that looks better than an emerald.'' That''s not a misconception. It''s an opinion.
I was not clear with my wording, I apologize. You cannot get a green gem that looks like an emerald (meaning similar visual response) that is better. I.e. you cannot get something with the silky hue that is not an emerald.

--Joshua
Well, I agree with that!! I''m glad I finally understand #4.
9.gif
Those emeralds sure are silky!!
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 3:14:58 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain

1. Emeralds are soft: At a Mohs of 7.5-8, Emeralds are harder (more resistant to scratching) than Quartz, Garnet, Peridot, and many other gems. Because of the way they form, they contain fissures and cracks that make them vulnerable to damage via impacts and chips. The risk for most damage is during the setting of the stone. They should be set with prongs protecting the sharp corners which are most prone to breakage and chipping. However most gems are vulnerable to impacts along their cleavage, even diamonds. Low quality, low transparency (many many visible inclusions) emeralds can be very susceptible to blunt force damage and should be avoided. Even if soft may not be the most adequate term, emeralds are more fragile than other gems of similar scratch resistance, because of those pesky fissures

2. The best emeralds are from Columbia: Actually it''s Colombia;-) colOmbia;-) I am surprised that a mispelling is such an important misconception as to rank #2
25.gif

4. You can get an very nice green gem that looks better than an emerald: Because of the impurities and the way an emerald forms, they have a very silky and surreal green color that is not reproducible in any other gemstone. An emerald is a unique and romantic green gemstone. A well trained eye can detect an emerald in comparison to other green gems from quite a distance away. Personal opinion (although I agree). The fact that an emerald can be spotted from a distance doesn''t make them better or worse than other green gems, just more identifiable.

5. The better emeralds are the darker ones: Each color will speak to each person, the best color emerald is the one you find personally attractive. I agree, but we shouldn''t discard the price and colour correlation so quickly

6. High quality emeralds from Colombia are expensive: While the perfect colors go up to infinity in price, lighter saturation and tone emeralds are easily available from Colombia at significantly under $1000 per carat for a 1 carat stone. Light green emeralds (crystals) are very affordable and a very durable option. I wouldn''t consider light green, unsaturated emerald to be high quality. There is no logical correlation between the 2 statements, as they have different subjects.

7. Emeralds should not contain windows: Not always. There are always exceptions. Color is the most important value in Emeralds and all color gemstones. A poor color stone is worth little no matter how well cut. I disagree - emeralds should not contain windows and a well cut stone shouldn''t have one. However, a window may be forgiven because of colour (which doesn''t mean the window is ok). Furthermore, I go back to statement 5: personal taste is the final test and a large window will be a major factor for some gem lovers. Not to mention that it affects the perception of colour.

8. The closer to the mine you purchase the stone, the better: Definitely not. The closer to the mine, the higher probability of fakes, dyes, glass, or other tourist traps. This statement feels rather self serving, coming from a jewelry seller. There are crooks all over the chain (you know all those ''birthstone jewelry'' that often isn''t disclosed as synthetic?). If anyone is spending a significant amount of money on an emerald, they should take it to an independent appraiser.

9. The color in Emeralds is enhanced: No, color in emeralds is all natural. Unless there is green dye or resin

--Joshua
Lady D,
You''ve saved me many minutes of typing. I agree with you wholeheartedly on all your points.
36.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
They''ve taken a long time to grow on me. My Mum adored them and now I have hers. Don''t wear them very often, but once they "bite" you, you''re lost!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Joshua, I enjoyed reading your post. In fact, I wore my emerald ring today and couldn't stop looking at it :)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 11:01:20 PM
Author: Burberrygirl
Joshua, I enjoyed reading your post. In fact, I wore my emerald ring today and couldn''t stop looking at it :)
Not a big lover of sugar loaves generally, but I''d give yours (or one like it) a home any day of the week.

I''m forgetting my manners. Thank you Joshua. Great insight.

Good comments from Lady D - as always.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey, thank you! You should add a sugar loaf to your Pandora''s Box (which is amazing!!).
Joshua, thank you for the compliment and for your insightful threads! I really enjoyed looking at your website as well. It''s very informative.
Glitterata, thank you so much! I love your collection, especially all your antique earrings and your JKT diamond ring!
30.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Joshua and also Lady D.

Joshua I have to say that #1 makes dangerous reading for newbies to jewellery/gemstone collecting. Emeralds need care - more so than many other gemstones. For example, steer clear of hot water, cold water, ultrasonics and Emeralds are prone to chipping/cracking because of their makeup.

I am privileged to own a stunning Emerald that is around 100 years old and looks as gorgeous as presumably it did on the day it was placed in the ring. It has come down through my family and been treated with love and care. My Mother wore it nearly every day of her married life and I marvel at how unscathed it is - especially when I see Emeralds that are much younger and look battered and bruised!

Just as a matter of interest, I suspect that older Emeralds are less likely to have been treated (other than perhaps oiled)? Do you think this may make them (generally speaking) more hardy?

Also, I''d love to hear your opinion on Siberian Emeralds.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds, do you have a thread about your emerald? It sounds gorgeous and I''d love to see pictures.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2009 2:23:19 PM
LovingDiamonds, do you have a thread about your emerald? It sounds gorgeous and I''d love to see pictures.
If you search on my name something should pop up!
2.gif

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 5:18:56 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Date: 12/10/2009 2:23:19 PM
If you search on my name something should pop up!
2.gif
I looked through your threads before I asked and somehow missed it. I did a search like you suggested and it''s fabulous! I just love antique jewelry!

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/10/2009 2:00:21 PM

Joshua I have to say that #1 makes dangerous reading for newbies to jewellery/gemstone collecting. Emeralds need care - more so than many other gemstones. For example, steer clear of hot water, cold water, ultrasonics and Emeralds are prone to chipping/cracking because of their makeup.

I am privileged to own a stunning Emerald that is around 100 years old and looks as gorgeous as presumably it did on the day it was placed in the ring. It has come down through my family and been treated with love and care. My Mother wore it nearly every day of her married life and I marvel at how unscathed it is - especially when I see Emeralds that are much younger and look battered and bruised!

Just as a matter of interest, I suspect that older Emeralds are less likely to have been treated (other than perhaps oiled)? Do you think this may make them (generally speaking) more hardy?

Also, I''d love to hear your opinion on Siberian Emeralds.
Yes the need care, but they are not soft and obsessively brittle. Ronald Ringsrud has a new book on Emeralds that shows rings that were worn for decades without being removed. What is important is the quality of the stone, if it has tons of surface reaching inclusions it is going to be brittle. With Emeralds, you really get what you pay for. Low transparency stones are brittle. High quality stones, while not perfect, are significantly more durable than most people are led to believe.

I don''t know why older emeralds are more durable, I''m guessing it''s because quality was a bit more important to jewelers at the time. I bet the stone is beautiful (Pics?!?) ;-)

--Joshua

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2009 6:44:48 PM
Author: serenitydiamonds

Date: 12/10/2009 2:00:21 PM

Also, I'd love to hear your opinion on Siberian Emeralds.
Yes the need care, but they are not soft and obsessively brittle. Ronald Ringsrud has a new book on Emeralds that shows rings that were worn for decades without being removed. What is important is the quality of the stone, if it has tons of surface reaching inclusions it is going to be brittle. With Emeralds, you really get what you pay for. Low transparency stones are brittle. High quality stones, while not perfect, are significantly more durable than most people are led to believe.

I don't know why older emeralds are more durable, I'm guessing it's because quality was a bit more important to jewelers at the time. I bet the stone is beautiful (Pics?!?) ;-)

--Joshua
Here apologies about the thread in the photo (it's not an inclusion)! .......... any thoughts on Siberian Emeralds?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the above were taken in bright sunlight. This was taken in incandescent lighting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone LD, I never tire of looking at it. Speaking of emeralds being brittle, and your emerald. Emeralds were probably not oiled or clarity enhanced back then. If they were oiled, chances are the oil in your emerald would have dried up long ago, and you obviously have a high clarity emerald, which is not brittle, because it doesn't appear to have lots of fractures or jardin.

The problem is that clarity enhancement often makes the stones look so much cleaner than they are, which not only masks the inclusions, but the durability as well. A highly treated clarity enhanced emerald will be brittle, although it might look as clean as LD's lovely stone.

Therefore, LD, consider yourself lucky to have a very green and clean emerald. Now that's a rarity nowadays!!

ETA: Just curious, does this emearld fluor red?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results