shape
carat
color
clarity

cleaning sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
What is safe to use to clean sapphires? I read on the web that warm, soapy water is good, but are the methods preferred for diamonds not good for the stone? (I''ll have a platinum ring, so I''m not worried about the metal) Specifically, is steam-cleaning a bad idea? How about ammonia?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh this is a good topic. I am having a custom made ring with sapphire side stones and was wondering how do I clean the diamond without damaging the sapphires.

1. Can I use those bubbly tablets?
2. Is windex safe?

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
And, I suppose, bleach, since I have my hands in it occassionaly. Mostly are they like diamonds in that whatever I put my hands in will be fine with the stone?

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
Well sapphire is an extremely tough stone. If the stone present no important fissures, or glass filling so you can clean it with soap, acid, brush... whatever! Sapphire as ruby does not need in 99.99% of the case any special precaution to be cleaned.
If the stone was surface repaired, avoid powerful acids that will dissolve glass like hydrofluoric acid... But if the stone is a "normal sapphire" it will probably still be a beautiful stone while we will be dust for centuries...
Its a much tougher stone than a diamond even if its less hard.
All the best.

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
I am not sure if this is okay or not, but I clean my sapphire/diamond ring and necklace in an ultrasonic cleaner... Works like a charm, easy and the literature that came with the cleaning machine says it's okay for sapphires.

1.gif
Bethany

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
ah, wonderful, moguk. that's exactly what I wanted to hear. since I know what hydrofloric acid does to your hands (and bones) it was already on my "steer clear" list.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results