carat
color
clarity

Chrysoberyl set by DanielM

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All,

I posted a little while back about a chrysoberyl I sent to DanielM to be set into their Sweet Sadie ring. When I got my ring from them and put it on, there was a huge window staring back at me--being relatively inexperienced in custom settings, I didn't realize that to close the window (my stone has a medium-ish one) there needs to be metal behind the stone. Pics and more details can be found in the older thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-miss-my-chrysoberyl-for-the-next-month-or-so.170719/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-miss-my-chrysoberyl-for-the-next-month-or-so.170719/[/URL]

Luckily for me, Caren and Dan of DanielM were awesome, said that they wanted me to be completely happy with my new ring, and that I could ship it back so they can see what can be done. I shipped it back the next day, and wrote them some ideas of how I thought it could be fixed (by putting metal between my finger and the stone, pretty much). For a reasonable labor fee, they covered the back of the bezel in 18K gold (the bezel is 18K, the shank is silver), removed the original shank and replaced it with a thicker shank of a slightly smaller size. Now the ring is back with me, and I love it. :bigsmile:

In the future, I probably wouldn't set a chrysoberyl in 18K yellow gold again. I think the silver would have provided a nice contrast without interfering either with the yellow or the green hues of the stone. And it would have been *much* cheaper, obviously. The only element of this ring that needs to be made of gold is the "window patch," since I wouldn't want it to tarnish and make the window nice and black.

Well, enough rambling. Here are pics of the completed and improved ring.

Cheers!

- Anya

inside - Copy.jpg

outside - Copy.jpg

back of the ring - Copy.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is beautiful! I love the bezel and basket - and the colour of YG really enhances your chryso! VERY nice!! :appl:

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Wow what a beauty! They did a great job!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring but I'm really surprised you wouldn't go for yellow gold next time around. Can I ask why?

I have a chryso pear that I had matched with one from Tan and was going to make earrings BUT Tan's chryso is lost in the post so I've been looking at what settings I have to see if I can re-use for my existing gem. The only one I have that fits is a white gold/diamond setting but I am concerned at using w/gold as I'm not sure it will make the chryso rich enough and might make it look too cool.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad they were able to make you happy. What great customer service. However, I have to disagree about yellow gold with chyrsoberyls, as I have two side stones set in yellow gold, and a single stone set in yellow gold, and I think they look rather nice. I have seen a setting with a chrysoberyl in white metal, and it really didn't bring out the stone as much, and it was a gorgeous stone. Perhaps it's different with a bezel (???), but I think prong set chyrsoberyls in yellow gold are fab.

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,

I just have to say... I absolutely LOVE your chrysoberyl in it's new and improved home!!! It looks as bright as yellow highlighter, it's simply stunning! Caren and Dan are fabulous, aren't they? Their custom service is top knotch, I love working with them. Also, I have to agree with TL as far as the yellow gold goes. When and if I ever get around to buying the right chrysoberly, it's definitely going in yellow gold....

Enjoy!,
Coco

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your lovely ring. The stone looks to be a great color!

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
WOW! :o That's a huge difference! The stone (and setting) look fantastic, congratulations!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really impressed - both with you and with Dan and Caren. I detest windows. They absolutely ruin stones for me and I can't even think about setting one. But you have helped to change my opinion. The transformation is truly huge and I love the redone ring. Heck, I even liked your stone in the old setting when you put tin foil underneath! Thank you for this "teachable moment" to see that this windowed stone can be made beautiful with the right setting. Great job. :appl:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Enerchi: Thank you! Isn't the basket super cute? I thought the circles go well with the stone's unusual color :bigsmile:

bright ice: Thank you!

Treenbean: thanks! They sure did. I'm very impressed with the quality.

LD: One of the main reasons why I wish I had gone with white is the price (since I'd use silver). If you're choosing between yellow or white gold, then maybe go for the yellow. I know a lot of people here prefer yellow for chrysos. That said... I feel like the bezel head does not contrast with the silver shank enough in my ring. Sometimes I barely see the yellow at all. I may be wrong, but I think in the end it just comes down to the color of the stone. If it's already well-saturated, it will stand its ground in white metal (and I think that white metal will not interfere with either the yellow or the green hues). If it's less saturated, then maybe YG will give it the extra kick. I have a less-saturated pendant and it's in silver. It's not nearly as neon as the ring, but I know that's because of the stone, not the metal. Oh, but I do think the yellow gold "window patch" did give the stone some extra kick. So maybe... it's more important to have yellow gold underneath the stone, as opposed to on the bezel? Trying to figure it out myself ;))

Porridge: Thank you :)

TL: Thanks! The customer service was amazing indeed. As for the color of the metal... my thoughts are above :)

Coco: thanks! Caren and Dan were amazing to work with. For a while I was afraid they wouldn't want to work with me again because I was problematic, but they assured me otherwise. Can't wait till I have more money saved up, because projects are already lining up ;))

Colorluvr: thank you!

Cloeishere: thanks!

Amys Bling: thank you :)

minousbijoux: I'm glad this helped. I'm actually pretty intolerant of windows myself, I realized. Especially in a light-color stone where I could literally see my finger through it. But I think I was extra lucky this time, because the yellow gold enhanced the appearance of the stone. I have some windowed morganites that I may never set. Shall see. Great idea about the "Window Shutters" thread!

two crysos.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous chrysoberyl and the setting is perfect for it. I just love chrysoberyls- they are such lively and interesting stones.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
New and WAY improved! I like the gallery on this one better.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LisaRN: thanks :) I wholeheartedly agree about chrysos!

VapidLapid: thank you!

T

talamasca

Wow, what a difference! It looks fab and I think it really looks well in YG too :D

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks lovely. and i'm another that prefers YG with this type of stone.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Talamasca and Movie Zombie: thank you! I may be won back over to the YG side as well. If only gold didn't cost so much right now!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much MUCH nicer with the patched up version. The backing not only closed the window but amped up the overall colour. Great customer service from Dan and Caren too. It's a good thing there are "air holes" in the side that still allows some degree of cleaning to keep the stone sparkling clean.

I think when it comes to custom work, it doesn't make much difference monetary wise between silver and gold for new designs due to the amount of upfront work needed (design time, CAD and etc). There will be a greater amount of cost savings to using silver when it comes to (more mass produced) standard settings though.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It looks so much nicer! Brings out the lovely chryso color well. I LOVE it in the yg. Caren & Dan handled it beautifully too -- glad it was such a good experience for you.

--- Laurie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
green 18k gold could be interesting as well with this color stone. but the price would still be the same. sigh.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono: Thanks! I agree that the 18k YG patch amped the color. I got lucky :) So glad I went with a gold patch as opposed to silver, as I originally intended. If I hadn't had a realization about tarnishing... uff, I'm just glad I'm at the happy ending part of this story. As for the price of custom projects, you are right. I made sure to pick an existing design for this specific reason, I couldn't afford it if there were CADs involved.

JewelFreak: Yeah, Caren and Dan did a great job. And I'm coming around to the YG too :bigsmile:

Amys Bling: thanks!

Movie Zombie: I considered green gold, but the fact that I had no other green gold rings made me hesitate. But yeah, it would have been a great candidate. I'd love to see some green gold IRL sometime.

By the way, I was reading some threads yesterday and now I can say that the stone is from Prima Gems. A friend took me to see Jaimeen's stones, and I picked this one out of a bunch. I didn't know what his business is called, or that he's known here on PS. I'm glad he is, he has some awesome stuff!

And last but not least, two new pics. I can't resist, the color is so awesome :)

IMG_3375 - Copy.jpg

IMG_3387 - Copy.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results