Brilliant_Rock
And another one from Sally.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

spinelbracelet.jpeg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely pieces MT, is the last piece a bracelet?

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a bracelet with my pink sub carat sized pink spinels from Dan and John. I was at a loss about what to do with them since they were a bit too small for rings, so we came up with this with Sally.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 4:20:21 AM
Author: mariedtiger
I've been very naughty...
11.gif
This one is from Julia's Etsy shop.

marie, you already know how enamored I am with this design - it's going to be gorgeous!
Just a question, the main "bezel" around the top gem, what kind of detail will be in the metal there?

Also, do you have pics of the gems going into the settings? I'd love to see them
1.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 7:44:29 AM
Author: arjunajane

I''ve been very naughty...
11.gif
This one is from Julia''s Etsy shop.

marie, you already know how enamored I am with this design - it''s going to be gorgeous!

Just a question, the main ''bezel'' around the top gem, what kind of detail will be in the metal there?

Also, do you have pics of the gems going into the settings? I''d love to see them

1.gif

Here are the pictures, sorry for the lousy quality
14.gif
I''m probably going to wear it out on the play ground, mostly [grin] - pendants are good because I don''t need to worry about getting play box sand in them like with rings.

The detail is a gravelly diamond like thing, I think. I have to ask Julia. Thanks for the lovely compliments, Sweetie.

Marie

bluetourmoppessedcollage.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic design maried tiger. Julia has such a good eye for designing. can''t wait to see it!

-A

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Arcadian, I know. Julia is really talented, and so nice to deal with. I really enjoyed how she handled the whole design process.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marie- I love all your designs!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been very naughty...
11.gif
This one is from Julia''s Etsy shop.
Wow, you have some beautiful new pieces there MT!! I can''t wait to see the finished piece on that gorgeous design!! Yum!
3.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you D&T and TL!!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
MT, holy moly! You have some lovely pieces coming to you!!!
30.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 1:05:02 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
30.gif

Thank you
9.gif
Looking forward to them is one of my favorite parts. And then taking them for a sunny walk!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 1:11:38 PM

Date: 9/3/2009 1:05:02 PM
30.gif

Thank you
9.gif
Looking forward to them is one of my favorite parts. And then taking them for a sunny walk!
Yeah, I can''t wait to see the rope setting with the aqua in it. Right up my alley!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, ladies (and gentlemen) . . . I have a question.
11.gif

How would you set this?
27.gif

6.57ct.VSRuby4.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 1:45:03 PM
11.gif

How would you set this?
27.gif
LTP-Gorgeous!! did you get another stone!
31.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 1:55:54 PM
Author: D&T

11.gif

How would you set this?
27.gif
31.gif
Yes! I should be getting it around the same time I get my spess. It''s a 6.57 ct. Ruby, with gentle heating.

So, D&T - what''s your thought on setting this? I don''t want a halo because it''s huge at 10.2 x 10.1 mm - but it''s also nearly 7mm deep.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 2:19:58 PM

11.gif

How would you set this?
27.gif
31.gif

Yes! I should be getting it around the same time I get my spess. It's a 6.57 ct. Ruby, with gentle heating.

So, D&T - what's your thought on setting this? I don't want a halo because it's huge at 10.2 x 10.1 mm - but it's also nearly 7mm deep.

OMG that is humongous!!! What a beauty. What about sidestones for a setting? Or a gorgeous solitaire with an elaborate basket?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 2:23:37 PM

Date: 9/3/2009 2:19:58 PM

11.gif

How would you set this?
27.gif
31.gif

Yes! I should be getting it around the same time I get my spess. It''s a 6.57 ct. Ruby, with gentle heating.

So, D&T - what''s your thought on setting this? I don''t want a halo because it''s huge at 10.2 x 10.1 mm - but it''s also nearly 7mm deep.

OMG that is humongous!!! What a beauty. What about sidestones for a setting? Or a gorgeous solitaire with an elaborate basket?
This is going to be a custom setting, I think. I may have to wait until I get it in hand to decide. The wait is going to kill me!
3.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
LTP what a stunning ruby! How about some side traps or half moons? I''d love to see it as a 3 stone ring. May I ask where you got this beauty from?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 7:40:32 AM
Author: Lovinggems
LTP what a stunning ruby! How about some side traps or half moons? I''d love to see it as a 3 stone ring. May I ask where you got this beauty from?
I think I''m with you Lovinggems! I just don''t know if my finger can handle 10+mm PLUS side traps. but we shall see.
3.gif

I stalked pierreone''s post about her 3.29 ct. sapphire, and she recommended siamgold78 on Ebay. Her sapphire ended up unheated, but since I don''t mind a little gentle heat in my gemstones, I started looking at any of siamgold78''s auctions that were only for certified stones to cover my bases. Pierreone mentioned that she had bought from them before, so I felt a little better about the purchase.

I should receive it sometime late next week, and it''s going straight to my appraiser. After that . . . well, I think I may sit on this one for a bit before I decide on a setting.
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren,
That ruby looks too good to be true, even with gentle heat. A ruby of that colour and size is worth thousands of dollars.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 10:31:45 AM
Author: Chrono
Lauren,
That ruby looks too good to be true, even with gentle heat. A ruby of that colour and size is worth thousands of dollars.
Chrono - it has certification with evidence of heat treatment by SLP Gem Labs (have you ever heard of them?), and Siamgold has a full return policy. What kind of treatments do you suspect? Fracture filled or BE? Think it's just glass?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never heard of SLP Gem Lab and can’t even find it in Yahoo or Google. I suspect fracture filling with possibly some photoshopping.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 11:25:29 AM
I’ve never heard of SLP Gem Lab and can’t even find it in Yahoo or Google. I suspect fracture filling.
Just emailed the seller - I''m canceling this one. Don''t want to deal with shipping it back since I''m pretty sure I know what an appraiser will say now that I''ve been researching the seller''s background.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you find out about the seller's background? Do you mind sharing it here so that others learn more about him/her too?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 11:34:29 AM
What did you find out about the seller's background? Do you mind sharing it here so that others learn more about him/her too?

History of selling treated rubies and none of her customers are any the wiser, but for some reason pierreone lucked out on her sapphire being the real deal.

The treatment is disclosed in a very flowery inconclusive text, buried in tons of excessive text on all of her auctions is this:

NOTE
... 99% of all ruby is heated up to 2000 degrees to enhance the red color and remove secondry colors of green and blue , during the process microscopic fractures within the stone are healed leaving microscopic traces of residue. This is commonly refered too as glass filling and it is a process which has become generally accepted by the worlds gem trade. You can be almost certain most heated ruby will have traces of glass filling. The amount obviously depends on the size of the fractures within the original raw stone. Those with very few fractures are the most sought after and prized as they retain most of their value. These are beautiful gems at a fraction of the price of unheated ruby. It is these top quality gems i search for and offer for sale.

... The cost of top unheated ruby is very high at around $3000 per carat which takes it out of the purchacing capacity of most people and you need to beware anyone selling unheated ruby at a bargain price. Genuine sellers of unheated ruby don,t sell it cheap and why would they when obtaining the market price is no problem. It just doesn,t happen so be careful and always ask for certification.

... i use the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) Type 2 grading scale for all my rubies. The GIA are probably the most internationally recognised institution for the grading of all gemstones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2009 11:39:58 AM

History of selling treated rubies and none of her customers are any the wiser, but for some reason pierreone lucked out on her sapphire being the real deal.

The treatment is disclosed in a very flowery inconclusive text, buried in tons of excessive text on all of her auctions is this:

NOTE
... 99% of all ruby is heated up to 2000 degrees to enhance the red color and remove secondry colors of green and blue , during the process microscopic fractures within the stone are healed leaving microscopic traces of residue. This is commonly refered too as glass filling and it is a process which has become generally accepted by the worlds gem trade. You can be almost certain most heated ruby will have traces of glass filling. The amount obviously depends on the size of the fractures within the original raw stone. Those with very few fractures are the most sought after and prized as they retain most of their value. These are beautiful gems at a fraction of the price of unheated ruby. It is these top quality gems i search for and offer for sale.

... The cost of top unheated ruby is very high at around $3000 per carat which takes it out of the purchacing capacity of most people and you need to beware anyone selling unheated ruby at a bargain price. Genuine sellers of unheated ruby don,t sell it cheap and why would they when obtaining the market price is no problem. It just doesn,t happen so be careful and always ask for certification.

... i use the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) Type 2 grading scale for all my rubies. The GIA are probably the most internationally recognised institution for the grading of all gemstones.

Heating is NOT commonly referred to as glass filling as she states. Heating is heating and glass filled is glass filled, which are 2 different procedures. That said, it is implied at all her stones are fracture filled. Good catch, Lauren.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 11:53:32 AM

Date: 9/4/2009 11:39:58 AM

NOTE

Heating is NOT commonly referred to as glass filling as she states. Heating is heating and glass filled is glass filled, which are 2 different procedures. That said, it is implied at all her stones are fracture filled. Good catch, Lauren.
What's worse is the certification. Why would you offer certification for heat alone on a fracture filled stone?
32.gif

It's intentionally deceptive, and I'm hating the fact that the store has such high ratings - 99.5% with only 1 neg feedback this year.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Shame about the ruby LTP, hope you find the right stone to go with the side traps in the future!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bummer on the Ruby- can you report on ebay? or give neg feedback? and state your case about the glass filling on your description. You can usually leave feedback even if you cancel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results