shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying CS at art fairs?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the CS I have were purchased already set in jewelry at art fairs. I find that there is a bigger selection of CS than at the typical B&M store, the jewelers often are knowledgeable about the stones, and I like getting a hand made piece of jewelry. I'm wondering if there are any tips for buying at a fair and for pre-set jewelry. I've read here about using a setting to close up a window or help with color, and wonder if there are reverse considerations for CS when they are in already set.

Also, if you like purchasing at art fairs please share your favorite fair. Mine is the Ann Arbor fair.

Thanks.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite art show for both art and fine jewelry is the Sausalito Art and Wine Show every year around labor day. I love that show because its juried, so to get in, you have to compete and be good (they all are IMO), and because its right around my birthday so I can justify some expenditures there (after all, I really shouldn't leave empty handed on my birthday, should I?? 8) 8) :o ).

I have always been attracted to the jewelry there because of the craftsmanship, the unique nature of the handmade pieces and the fact that there are typically a lot more types of colored stones than one see anywhere else. The only downside is that whatever it cost the artist to acquire the stone is what it will cost you or more. I have also found that while some of the metalsmiths are fairly knowledgeable about the stones they use, they don't necessarily know about the level of treatment, if any, and would prefer not to have to deal with that kind of question.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
There's a crafts fair at the Concourse in San Francisco every winter that I like to go to if I can. The vendors at these events are just so creative it's inspiring. I have a bracelet that I've posted before and a collection of rings all purchased from an artist who sometimes exhibits there.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I go to the Ann Arbor art fair every year and have for the last twenty years at least. I love that show! I have bought some very nicely made pieces of jewelry there. I think most of the artists know whether a stone has been treated but they may not be able to explain the level or extent of the treatment. But the craftsmanship of the settings is wonderful.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love going to the Uptown Art Fair in Minneapolis each summer. This is a juried fair and the jewelry is exquisite. I saw some freshwater metallic pearls there from one vendor that made my jaw drop. Should have brought them home with me.

I think art fairs are a good opportunity to see handmade jewelry in person and also you have a chance to chat with the creator. I love putting my CS knowledge to work and guessing at the stones. I certainly would purchase a beautiful CS piece that caught my heart at an art fair.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cind11|1335054617|3177479 said:
My husband and I go to the Ann Arbor art fair every year and have for the last twenty years at least. I love that show! I have bought some very nicely made pieces of jewelry there. I think most of the artists know whether a stone has been treated but they may not be able to explain the level or extent of the treatment. But the craftsmanship of the settings is wonderful.

As long as you're not worried about treatment or synthetics, I think art fairs are a nice place to visit to find a lovely piece of jewelry and even some nice settings as well.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I like the Olympia Fine Art fair in London. Extreme vetting to be allowed to exhibit and items are high-end, but some fabulous things. I bought my baby gift ring there. Many of those selling jewellery are very well-versed in their products, a high percentage are gemmologists and knowledgeable about treatments etc, top-price coloured stone jewellery often comes with Gubelin lab-reports.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
kgizo|1334976956|3176891 said:
Most of the CS I have were purchased already set in jewelry at art fairs. I find that there is a bigger selection of CS than at the typical B&M store, the jewelers often are knowledgeable about the stones, and I like getting a hand made piece of jewelry. I'm wondering if there are any tips for buying at a fair and for pre-set jewelry. I've read here about using a setting to close up a window or help with color, and wonder if there are reverse considerations for CS when they are in already set.

Also, if you like purchasing at art fairs please share your favorite fair. Mine is the Ann Arbor fair.

Thanks.
I think at art shows you should buy for the overall piece because you love it and not just for the value of the stones. But as TL mentioned you're more likely to get treatments at craft shows. Unless of course the artisan is also very gemstone obsessed (like one of us) and then I'm sure you could have some interesting conversations etc... Great place to pick up unique jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results