shape
carat
color
clarity

Burma Raspberry Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I found something pretty to replace the gawd awful ugly sapphire center stone in this pendant that I never wear (because the color is so
14.gif
). Of course I won''t know till it gets here in about five days, but I''m hoping I get as lucky with this raspberry Spinel as I did with my blueberry Spinel.

IMG_1622.2xugh.JPG

Burma Raspberry Spinel.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Reminds me of a glass of red wine. Let us know what you think of it when it gets to you.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That will be very pretty.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
That''s a nice looking piece. It''s got a bit of gray, but that''s common in many spinels. Can you share where you bought it and how much you paid?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a devil of a time choosing between three Spinels in this color family that were all very close and yet a bit different- one pink/red, one red/purple and this purple/red. I''ve seen multiple shots of this stone and it''s a clear pure color. Really no gray, in fact none of them had gray. If anything, the darkest (purple/red) could have translated into a little brown/red if you saw only one photo, but that one really didn''t have brown in it either (seen in multiple pics). I''ll wait til it arrives to judge. It looks pretty raspberry jam-my to me :) and extremely clear with VVS clarity.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That''s going to be really pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemgirl,
My experience with spinels is that if it already looks dark in the photo, it''s probably much darker in person. When I look for spinels, I look for photos of them that are very light and bright. While many are photoshopped, if a photo looks dark to begin with, it''s probably darker in person. I hope you love your stone when you get it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I
30.gif
that raspberry color! that is gorgeous! I can''t wait to see how it turns out for you.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that many stones look lighter in their glamour shots than IRL. The color sounds lovely and since you''ve seen several pictures you are prepared for the color. I hope it''s lovely!!
9.gif

freefly

Shiny_Rock
I think it''ll look gorgeous in your pendant. Can''t wait to see real life photos.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2009 10:48:37 AM
Author:gemgirl
I think I found something pretty to replace the gawd awful ugly sapphire center stone in this pendant that I never wear (because the color is so
14.gif
). Of course I won't know till it gets here in about five days, but I'm hoping I get as lucky with this raspberry Spinel as I did with my blueberry Spinel.

IMG_1622.2xugh.JPG
Or this one? Actually, now I'm hoping that the raspberry Spinel matches in intensity with this stone from Barry. I'd like to make a Y-necklace using both the Spinels. If I do, I'll use a tanzanite I've had in my vault doing nothing for years for this pendant
3.gif
. OIY! and all this is happening while I'm waiting for my bow necklace from B&L.
'Ya think I'm bored? or maybe it's just that Christmas is coming.

Barry Tunduru.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I really really like the one you just posted. But I''m a blue person, not a red person.

I''d be interested in finding out how dark it is before you have it sent to you.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2009 8:53:49 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Of course I really really like the one you just posted. But I''m a blue person, not a red person.

I''d be interested in finding out how dark it is before you have it sent to you.
I''m definitely a blue person too, but then that raspberry really appealed to me because I''ve always loved my Rhodalites. I always wanted to do something with both Iolite and Rhodalite, so it will be Spinels instead. It''s so funny that Spinels in these colors didn''t even exist when I started collecting gemstones fifteen years ago.

I''m blaming this ALL on IE8. I just upgraded my browser and everything is so unbelievably vivid and crisp now. Yeah, that''s it. It''s all IE8''s fault!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received the raspberry spinel from Gem Rite and it isn''t raspberry at all. It''s a very common dark brick red garnet color and not something I''d like to keep. I have no idea how they listed that stone as a red/purple spinel.

I also got the Tunduru spinel from Barry and it''s pretty much gray and it''s also not something I''d like to keep.

I must have really lucked out on the violet/blue pear spinel from Multicolour because it''s as pretty in person as it was in their photo and expect it will look even better surrounded by diamonds.

I''m not disappointed. It''s all a learning experience.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, its all a learning experience! i thought the pictures were lighter than the actual stones would be....especially the blue.

re the pendant setting: a nice richard home congave.......bright and colorful....that would be stunning.

mz

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 10:14:47 AM
Author: gemgirl
I received the raspberry spinel from Gem Rite and it isn''t raspberry at all. It''s a very common dark brick red garnet color and not something I''d like to keep. I have no idea how they listed that stone as a red/purple spinel.

I also got the Tunduru spinel from Barry and it''s pretty much gray and it''s also not something I''d like to keep.

I must have really lucked out on the violet/blue pear spinel from Multicolour because it''s as pretty in person as it was in their photo and expect it will look even better surrounded by diamonds.

are you sure the spinel is from gemrite? that doesn''t look like one of john''s photos...?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I''m wrong, I''m sorry. I just looked at the invoice and it''s from Gem Select. GemRite had a couple of other stones I was interested in but I decided that one project at a time is enough for me. I have to mail this one back to Thailand :(.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2009 11:18:02 AM
No, I''m wrong, I''m sorry. I just looked at the invoice and it''s from Gem Select. GemRite had a couple of other stones I was interested in but I decided that one project at a time is enough for me. I have to mail this one back to Thailand :(.
Date: 11/22/2009 11:18:02 AM

Aw, sorry, that''s always a hassle :/

Hopefully you find something you love though! I second Mr. MaRe, a concave would look stunning I think :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry it didn''t turn out well. My experience is also that a dark stone in a picture is usually darker in person, and a light pictured stone is usually lighter in person. It''s something some vendors do to make the stone look better. Not all vendors do this though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In my own experience, I have found spinels to be the most difficult gemstones to evaluate from a picture. Many of the blue or pink,purple,red ones have a habit of shifting color to grey or brown. I also stay away from spinels that look dark in the photo, because in my experience, those end up being more extinct, brown or grey. It is difficult because they often tend to photograph better than they look, and I don''t know why that is.
33.gif
. It''s one of those gems I am very leary of when evaluating from a photo. I do know that if I tend to see more grey or brown along the pavillion, I also stay away. I like side shots of spinesl for that reason.

Good luck on finding the spinel meant for you.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2009 8:09:44 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

In my own experience, I have found spinels to be the most difficult gemstones to evaluate from a picture. Many of the blue or pink,purple,red ones have a habit of shifting color to grey or brown. I also stay away from spinels that look dark in the photo, because in my experience, those end up being more extinct, brown or grey. It is difficult because they often tend to photograph better than they look, and I don''t know why that is.
33.gif
. It''s one of those gems I am very leary of when evaluating from a photo. I do know that if I tend to see more grey or brown along the pavillion, I also stay away. I like side shots of spinesl for that reason.

Good luck on finding the spinel meant for you.
Yes, I definitely agree. Spinels seem to be very difficult to photograph. That oval from Barry looked so pretty for just a split second but only in the "right" light, then it immediately turned gray/blue again. Oiy!
I found myself roaming around my kitchen and dining room trying to capture that right light, but on the overall, it would have remained gray looking most of the time. That was disappointing.

Then, on the other hand, I did luck out with my pear Spinel that I sent to Brian & Lesley. Yes, it''s a little dark but I like that, and it does have flashes of beautiful blue- kind of like the differences in color you see when you''re washing blueberries. Some of the skin stays dark and there are areas of lighter blue that are unmistakable. That one has me psyched especially because it had no inclusions at 10x.

My Spinel shopping will have to wait. I had a temporary lapse into Spinel mania. I have other projects I''d like to do that I have the components for
3.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl - I know you said you are waiting on this project, but I saw this Burmese cranberry red spinel on sale at Mastercutgems, and I thought of your project. Link He says it is at least VS clarity, and is not overly saturated and has good flash and very good light return. Should also have a fine cut. Just thought I''d mention it in case it is the right size and budget.

cranberryspinelthumb_20536.jpg

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Fly Girl! That''s a beauty :).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 8:15:50 AM
Thank you Fly Girl! That''s a beauty :).
I see that Mastercutgem cranberry spinel is sold today. I hope you picked it up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results