shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire. Please help me?

Katlo

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I have been deliberating over a diamond halo pendant for some time now however sadly, I have realised that my budget will not allow for the size/clarity diamond I would prefer. So, i've decided to go for a blue sapphire as the centre stone. Although being in the UK, I am keen to make my purchase via James Allen as I like the halo setting they offer and their website is very user friendly.

My question: How do you know you're getting a good sapphire when you purchase online? I had educated myself through the knowledge of Price Scope users on the specs to look for when purchasing a diamond, however what do you do you look for when buying a sapphire online? I love the colour of the one below however is it any good? I notice a couple of 'scrapes' but the clarity looks really clear to me, but I am a novice. Is this sapphire a sparkler? Any advice on online sapphire shopping would be much appreciated :)

https://www.jamesallen.com/gemstones/blue-sapphire/1.01-carat-round-sku-20421

Many thanks,

Kat

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello! i am no expert, but I am sure you have come to the right place for help in finding the perfect sapphire for you. I have never purchased from James Allen before but from looking at the picture of the sapphire you posted, I can tell that that one will not be a sparkler. it appears to have a pretty big window in the center of it. It looks like a pretty blue color and is sparkly around the edges but looks dead in the middle.

I am sure if you tell us your budget, someone here could come up with something better for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree, now that I have learned to see a window (I humbly hope so).
For the color being heated, the price seems rather high. You could get an equally imperfect gem for that price but UN-heated.
Also, if you are in the UK, you will have the hassle and pay tax for importing jewelry.

Katlo

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I have read through the link - very informative, thank you!

JoseeCL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am no expert either... however I am the proud owner of 3 stunning Sapphire diamond rings :) so here is my advice, do a lot of research on sapphires to learn as much as you can about them. Now the darker and deeper the color the more desirable. Ceylon Sapphire are the finest money can buy. There are Kashmir too but those are very rare and very pricey. Ceylon sapphires come from Shrilanka. A lot of sapphires are heat treated to get a deeper darker blue. And you can also get inclusions in sapphire.
So in hopes of helping you I will post my 3 rings along with the appraisals so you can see how they grade the sapphire.
If you put a lot of money in a sapphire get an appraisal so you know exactly what you are paying for. Here are the 3 for comparison.

screenshot_20170304-142310.png

crescentgems

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Kat,

Your sapphire has a nice pleasing color . has a natural feather and two crystals near the girdle , But I am afraid the cutting is not too good , there is a window in the Stone and the center of the stone would not sparkle .

As A dealer from Sri lanka I see a lot of Sapphires that are badly cut , and I would recommend the list of vendors at
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/list-of-vendors-for-reference.208782/

best regards
from the sunny island of Sri lanka

Ahmed shareek

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results