shape
carat
color
clarity

Big rocks, small prices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that emeralds and aquamarines are also beryls, as well as bixbites and all those stones can be pricey. The same goes for natural pink and imperial topaz. Zircons (except blue) are quite affordable and often come in large sizes. You could also find a not too expensive hessonite garnet, as well as rhodolite (but not top colors of rhodlite). Of those I mentioned you forgot to list iolite, peridot, fire opal - I mentioned some other but they don''t come in very large sizes. I believe some colors of tourmaline could also be found large and inexpensive, like some green and pink ones.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 12:06:09 PM
Author: AustenNut
These big stones would only be used for earrings and/or pendants. Is fluorite too soft though? Is apatite?

I think it would be too soft for me. . . I haven''t had first-person experience with it, though. And this is just a thought out of left field, so I''m sure someone might correct me, but I''d think in setting, the metal would scratch it . . . I think I read one gem-cutter comment that mere dust could scratch . . . which I thought was so odd a concept that it stuck with me. Not 100% sure that was in reference to fluorite or the 4 level on the Moh''s scale though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2009 8:42:12 AM
Author: morecarats
Chrono, are you sure we''re talking about the same stone? The gem I know as rhodochrosite is a rose colored manganese carbonate with distinctive variegated markings, hardness of 4 and usually found in aggregate form. Some of the rare mineral specimens from Colorado can command very high prices.
I think the distinction between the $2/ct rhodochrosite and the 1K/ct rhodochrosite is that the clean transparent variety is very rare and expensive. The opaque material, although still lovely, is very inexpensive. It''s commonly used in beaded necklaces or for huge pendants.

capillitas4.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 11:16:55 AM
Author: AustenNut
Thanks for all of the suggestions! So to synthesize, this is what we''ve come up with:

Faceted/transparent stones

Quartz family (amethyst, citrine, rose, smoky, prasiolite, etc)

Fluorite

Topaz

Spodumene (kunzite)

labradorite

sodalite

sunstone

apatite

zircon

iolite

tourmaline

peridot

hessonite garnet

rhodolite

chrome diopside (but gets dark in the larger sizes)

Beryls (but can get expensive in the larger sizes)

Cabbed/opaque stones

jasper

agate

ruby-zoisite

rhodochrosite (in cab, not faceted form)

chalcedony

tiger''s eye

lapis lazuli

chrysoprase

chrysocolla

larimar

bloodstone

amber

malachite

onyx

hematite

sugilite

carnelian

turquoise

fire opal

moonstone (frequently more expensive)

star ruby (usually more expensive)

star sapphire (usually more expensive)

Did I miscategorize any stones? Are there any others that should be added? Thanks!

Thanks, Ma Re, for pointing out those omissions! I think I got partway through the thread and just lost my mind and thought I was done. I''ve now corrected the list, seen above.

Anyone else want to comment on the durability of fluorite and/or apatite for use in earrings & pendants?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results