shape
carat
color
clarity

Best inexpensive high quality peach colored stones?

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys,

What is your favorite peach colored stone that can be purchased for less than $750 for a great specimen? I've fallen in love with the look of peach stones and rose gold settings, but I'm overwhelmed my options! Nothing too big please, but help me navigate through my options within my budget? :) Looking for something more pinky-peach than brown or red peach, as my complexion is fairly cool toned.

Thanks everyone!

bluenights

Rough_Rock
You can find peachy pink color in Malaya garnet, tourmaline, sapphire, morganite and maybe spinel. Except from pad sapphire, they can all be get under your budget! You may even get a pad sapphire depend on size

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Do you know which ones would hold up best in the ring? Spinel is a pretty tough one, right?

I know sapphire is the hardest, but also likely to be the most expensive - although as padparadscha sapphires get pinker, are they less desirable?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a morganite in a RG setting (bought it from LOGR's or Ianbo or a company under either of those...) and its a very pretty peachy/pink combination.

img_0454.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
In addition to the ones above, zircon can come in a peachy-rose color and is really sparkly!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
:confused: I've seen some beautiful peachy zircons but thought they are not durable for daily wear rings? Am I misinformed?

thanks in advance.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wordie, you will hear different opinions on Zircon in a ring. Zircon is pretty hard, with a 7.5 on Mohs, but its considered brittle. I would set one in a ring (and will...as my Blue Zircon is on my 'list") but not a ring that I would wear all the time. If you are OK with a ring that you would wear carefully, for special occasions and such, Zircon is a great choice as it is one of the most brilliant gemstones out there. One of my favorites for sure...but, you can't do things like wash dishes etc while wearing a Zircon ring.

Morganite is also around a 7 or so...so I'd probably put that in a similar catagory as the Zircon. A Garnet is a better choice than both of these, while a Spinel and Sapphire are the best choices if you want to wear them every day. It all boils down to how often you want to wear it, and how careful you are, or are willing to be.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You gave a budget but not a size / carat weight. Even $750 can get you a beautiful peachy sapphire but it will be very small and likely treated.

Will this ring be only worn occasionally or are you planning to wear it quite often?

Padparadscha sapphires are peachy pink (orangish pink / pinkish orange). If the stone is too pink, then it is classifed as pink sapphire and its pricing will be different. Do note that there are tons of synthetics, simulants and highly treated padparadscha sapphires in the market which makes them one of the most difficult stones to purchase, in addition to the very high price tag.

Peachy pink spinels are inexpensive (relative to sapphire), exhibits excellent luster and is great for every day wear.
Imperial topaz is likely to be quite expensive for a beautiful specimen.
Morganite falls into the beryl family and so is somewhat brittle and prone to chipping. Not meant for everyday wear in a ring.
Malaya garnets are inexpensive and quite sparkly. Not meant for everyday wear in a ring.
Zircon is brittle and prone to chipping. Not recommended to be worn in rings but I've seen it done.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
These are good questions, Chrono, and one I really don't even know how to begin addressing is the size one. How do people decide on a size? I'm thinking probably something smallish - 2 carats or less? I have kind of dainty hands and I'd like to be able to wear it on a regular basis without getting in the way. It sounds like sapphire or spinel are the safest, being most hard. A lot of the rings that i have tried on and liked that seem 'proportional' to my finger for every day wear are honestly probably 1 carat or under! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deciding on size is a very personal preference (self consiousness, comfort level, level of activity, how often it is worn, etc). 2 carats is not small. Some people feel comfortable with 1 carat stones, then shrinkage strikes and slowly, the size inches upwards. :lol:

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi: Your ring is beautiful! I love that color :) Thanks for sharing. Have you experienced any loss of color from sun exposure? I have heard this was a risk.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ieatbugs! I have not noticed any colour change. It seems the same right at this moment, when I hold it beside these photos. Of all the things I've purchased in the last few months, this fairly inexpensive ring, is my DD favorite! She prefers this to my 3 stone ering :bigsmile:

Unfortunately I have lost a melee diamond from the setting, so if you are onside ring one of the offshore eBay vendors,minquire about better prongs or an upgrade of some sort, to prevent diamond loss.

Good luck in your quest!

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi: I'm actually thinking about getting a three stone setting. Not sure if I should get three stones of the same color or something different to go alongside! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting a matched pair is difficult enough, trying to get 3 to match perfectly in colour and shape (and general cutting) is a long time coming. Besides, having the center different from the sides adds some interest and contrast.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
wordie89|1343394865|3241303 said:
:confused: I've seen some beautiful peachy zircons but thought they are not durable for daily wear rings? Am I misinformed?

thanks in advance.

I don't think ieatbugs had said she wanted an everyday wear ring at that point, but a lot of people agree with you. Their Mohs hardness is pretty good, but they are prone to abrasion. I have 2 really nice zircon rings (one blue and one peachy-rose), but I save them for occasional wear and certainly not to work. However, I have a friend who has a blue zircon engagement ring that she wears every day.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1343443014|3241775 said:
Getting a matched pair is difficult enough, trying to get 3 to match perfectly in colour and shape (and general cutting) is a long time coming. Besides, having the center different from the sides adds some interest and contrast.

So I'm thinking....pink or lavender spinel on the sides? :D

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
ieatbugs|1343498942|3242110 said:

I think pink would be too similar and would favor a complementary but different color for the sidestones. Lavender could work. Maybe light blue or green? Colorless stones would also work.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Here's my peachy rose zircon from Rogery Dery. The color shifts between a dusty rose and more peachy color depending on the lighting.

img_20120630_160838.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I'd put my feelers out for a peach spinel. I have a pretty one, but it's got a nasty window, so it would need to have the pavilion recut for it to be a nice ring stone. It has great luster, but I discovered that peach and really soft pink doesn't look good on my skin, it just kind of blends in, so I was trying to decide whether or not to have Jerry or Dan recut this one or just sell it as is.

Photos aren't that great, but it will give you an idea. I don't have the specs on this one for some reason, but I think it's close to 7mm x 8mm.

the color is more peachy IRL.

peach_spinel.jpg

peach_spinel2.jpg

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
jstarfireb|1343505909|3242158 said:
ieatbugs|1343498942|3242110 said:

I think pink would be too similar and would favor a complementary but different color for the sidestones. Lavender could work. Maybe light blue or green? Colorless stones would also work.

Ohhh I was thinking like PINK pink. Like, a really bright BARBIE pink to go alongside perhaps :D

Is there a webapp where you can sort of 'custom build' stones and put them in a setting to see how the colors look? I'm sure there's got to be a jeweler out there who has something like this that I could use that would quicker than photoshopping them all together...

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Upgradable,

Thanks, these are beautiful and give me some great ideas. I will be making my purchase in September during a week long trip to Aruba that I'm taking with my boyfriend, so I'm doing lots of research up front to have a good idea of what I'm looking for and general prices :)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Please do not buy your stone in Aruba!!! These cruise and vacation destinations market specifically toward tourists and sell low quality stones at astronomical prices! Nowhere will you get a reliable cert or anyone to help you determine if it is a great stone at a good price.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1343528980|3242301 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flawless-Natural-Unheated-Gem-2-07ct-9x7mm-Oval-MORGANITE-Pink-Emerald-BRAZIL-/221082004043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337983aa4b

This baby is a stunner! :love: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-VVS1-2-25CT-PURE-PASTEL-PEACH-PINK-NATURAL-CEYLON-SPINEL-UNHEATED-/221082004061?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337983aa5d

I wonder if one of the big labs would call this a pad? http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-VVS1-1-63CT-PURE-COPPER-PEACH-COLOR-NATURAL-CEYLON-SPINEL-UNHEATED-/221082004065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337983aa61
I don't know why I read this as sapphire? Sorry, it's spinel.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Upgradable|1343533129|3242337 said:
Please do not buy your stone in Aruba!!! These cruise and vacation destinations market specifically toward tourists and sell low quality stones at astronomical prices! Nowhere will you get a reliable cert or anyone to help you determine if it is a great stone at a good price.

Thank you for your concern but there are a handful of highly reputable jewelers that do deal in certified gemstones and they are the only ones I will be shopping with.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Upgradable|1343533129|3242337 said:

Additionally, I've done quite a bit of browsing locally so I have a pretty good idea of the quality/price up here. If the quality is poor for the prices I will not be purchasing, so I'm not too concerned about getting a poor store for an astronomical price.

desertgem

Rough_Rock
I realize that there are concerns about the brittleness of zircons. beryls ( morganite was mentioned) and others in rings, but these are relatively inexpensive stones, and usually are very easy to replace in color and size ( or repaired if minor) . Generally if a stone has a reason to fracture other than accidents, it will do so when being cut. As for any angry backhand to the kitchen counter, you can throw other brittle ring stones, such as emeralds, aquamarines ( also beryl, and emeralds are usually internally weak ).

I guess what I am saying is not to deny oneself from the pleasure of having the color/size stone you want in a ring as long as it serves its beauty. I have used Chrome Diopside stones in a ring , with advice about it hardness being low and being brittle, but I can't find other natural stones of that type of green color when properly cut for a fraction of good color tsavorite. If you can't afford a 4 ct. diamond, you can a nice 4 ct.zircon much easier. If it chips or breaks , it can be replaced.

Just an opinion as the OP specified "inexpensive".

Jim

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results