shape
carat
color
clarity

Back to the drawing board? Input on some lower $ sapphires

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Re: Back to the drawing board? Input on some lower $ sapphir

I don't know if parti sapphires get much love on this board. I know ultimately it boils down to personal taste. I like it more than the previous ones I posted. It's almost a combo of the greenish blues and yellows I've been looking at.

Another option would be this unheated yellow

http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p21/2.00_ct_Unheated_Yellow_Sapphire.html

This is another option for unheated yellow. I like the cut but it seems a little "long" as far as dimensions

http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p36/1.71_ct_Unheated_Yellow_Sapphire.html

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sapphire, chrysoberyl and spinel are hard enough for everyday wear and I would feel comfortable wearing a chrysoberyl for dayly wear.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Thank you Niel! That's good food for thought. Did you have any thoughts on the bicolor and two yellows?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I find the concept of bicolor sapphire's intriguing but they do not excite me for an engagement ring, personally. But they are such personal preference. Do you like the colors of both? Do you like how the color play works? The patter flattering to you?

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

I do personally like it myself! I actually love the yellow and greenish blue combo. Understandably though it's not a very traditional choice as far as color for an engagement ring. I think because if the blue on the outside it also would lend itself to s yellow gold setting well. How does the cut quality look to you?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hobbitfancier55|1486949631|4127961 said:
I do personally like it myself! I actually love the yellow and greenish blue combo. Understandably though it's not a very traditional choice as far as color for an engagement ring. I think because if the blue on the outside it also would lend itself to s yellow gold setting well. How does the cut quality look to you?

I really like this stone, but it's unique so you have to love it! Just to throw a few more potential options (although you'd have to contact Doug Menaude for price info), I think these are great parti sapphires, and look incredible!

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/images/gemstones/custom/203438c/doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-green-parti-colour-sapphire-oval-203438ci-small.jpg
http://www.bespoke-gems.com/images/gemstones/custom/203438a/doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-green-parti-colour-sapphire-oval-203438aj-small.jpg

If you are interested in aussie sapphires, Doug has a good deal of rough available and could cut you something! There's something pretty cool about having a stone cut just for you, so that's another option. And you could ask Doug about what colors the rough will likely produce.

Just another potential thought!

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_Rough_Sapphire.php#image_r220

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

lovedogs|1486958019|4127988 said:
hobbitfancier55|1486949631|4127961 said:

I really like this stone, but it's unique so you have to love it! Just to throw a few more potential options (although you'd have to contact Doug Menaude for price info), I think these are great parti sapphires, and look incredible!

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/images/gemstones/custom/203438c/doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-green-parti-colour-sapphire-oval-203438ci-small.jpg
http://www.bespoke-gems.com/images/gemstones/custom/203438a/doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-green-parti-colour-sapphire-oval-203438aj-small.jpg

If you are interested in aussie sapphires, Doug has a good deal of rough available and could cut you something! There's something pretty cool about having a stone cut just for you, so that's another option. And you could ask Doug about what colors the rough will likely produce.

Just another potential thought!

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_Rough_Sapphire.php#image_r220

Those are nice! Yes, having something custom cut would be another option. I'd even thought about reaching out to Jeff at Earth's Treasury to see what kind of rough he has available.

Perhaps a stupid question, but with the radiant bicolor I posted above, does it matter which direction you set that stone?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You can set that stone any way you want!

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Doug also has this unheated yellow available. Not sure of the price. It doesn't look as saturated as the Nigerian stone, but still looks like it has nice color.

6.4x6.4mm
doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-round-brilliant-102746d-small.jpg
doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-round-brilliant-102746e-small.jpg
doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-round-brilliant-102746f-small.jpg
doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-round-brilliant-102746h-small.jpg

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1487005844|4128114 said:
You can set that stone any way you want!

That is what I was hoping/thinking Niel. If I went with that option, I prefer it east/west so that the blue is on top and bottom. At least I think. But it's good to know I could do either way.

I sent Doug and email asking him the price of the yellow below. And if he has any other rough. It might be a tad brown? It's kind of hard to tell.

I think at this point I've narrowed down my options to:

1. Bicolor from Finewater
2. Oval/square cushion? yellow from Finewater
3. Have Doug or Jeff custom cut something from their rough

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The bi color is very cool. Would you feel comfortable wearing it every day? It's really about you and your tastes. All of the stones are cut well. I admit it's a hard choice. :think:

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

I can't imagine that I would get tired of it. It's definitely unique though. The other two yellows I posted are definitely more traditional.

Did anyone have any other thoughts on the Finewater yellow or Menadue yellow?

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/images/gemstones/custom/102746/doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-round-brilliant-102746f-small.jpg
http://www.bespoke-gems.com/images/gemstones/custom/102746/doug-menadue-bespoke-gems-australian-yellow-sapphire-round-brilliant-102746h-small.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hobbitfancier55|1487102670|4128718 said:

I looooove the 2ct cushion. Love it. I think in the long run you'd be happier with a single color stone over a long period of time.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

I also love Gary's sapphire- such a beautiful shade of yellow. And I'm a big fan of cushions!! I'm not too crazy about the others, but you're the one who has to be happy, not us. Buy the one that calls out to you =)

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Niel and pinkjewel I think you are right. I do love the bicolor but maybe more down the road for a second purchase or right hand ring. Something more traditional will probably age better style wise AND to me looking at it every day.

Now my boyfriend has just thrown another kink into the line. I just got off the phone with him and he said he's been really putting some thought into it all week. And he wants me to be really happy, even if that means purchasing the slightly more expensive stone : I

I know I like the original round better. The question is do I like it $1,200 better? I know this is such a personal decision. I'm sure y'all are tired of my back and forth on this ;-)

Do you guys think the ET stone is worth that price hike? I haven't seen any unheated yellow that saturated or with that clarity during my search. The cushion is still a nice shade though not as intense. Size is not really a consideration for either as they're both plenty big for my taste.

Here are the specs on both again.

2.01 Unheated Nigerian - $3,000
6.9 x 5.1
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-01-carat-intense-yellow-nigerian-sapphire/

2.00 Unheated Sri Lanka - $1,800
7.40 x 5.47 x 5.18

img_2512.jpg
img_2514.jpg
img_2513.jpg
img_2542.jpg

img_2604.jpg
img_2605.jpg
img_2606.jpg
img_1393.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I actually don't like the round better and I think the cushion is a better value stone even if the price was the same. The cushion seems brighter and a more pure yellow. Sure the round has a more saturated tone but I don't necessarily think that on its own makes it better.

However, if this is going to be your forever ring, I really don't think the price difference is much if you can afford it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I honestly prefer the yellow cushion (if I'm being honest). I think it's a more desirable color, super bright, saturated, etc.

Of course it's up to you in the end--so you have to choose the one you prefer.

But that's my 2 cents :)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hard choice. I love the rounds until I see the superb cutting on the cushions. If it were me I would go for color and size. I love the parti stone, but as a RHR.

I think the rounds will sparkle more, but I have a cushion and love the cut. HTH. :bigsmile:

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Stone Hunter|1487134268|4128959 said:
Hard choice. I love the rounds until I see the superb cutting on the cushions. If it were me I would go for color and size. I love the parti stone, but as a RHR.

I think the rounds will sparkle more, but I have a cushion and love the cut. HTH. :bigsmile:

They are both nearly identical in finger coverage. Which makes it harder.
img_2614.jpg
img_2615.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I THINK the round will sparkle more and give the appearance of more coverage. I saw that in my own rings while driving today but can't get a good photo this evening.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kept tying to get a good photo, but no luck. Go with the cut you love. Rounds sparkle more but cushions have a lovely facet pattern. :think:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have never purchased from the other vendor but I can say I've purchased a handful of items from Gary and his photos were always accurate and a few times the stone was even better than the photos.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I usually prefer cushions over rounds, but in this case, if I had the funds, I would make an offer for the round. Although the cushion is well cut, the inevitable (but small) bowtie is a deal breaker for me.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1487121892|4128860 said:
I honestly prefer the yellow cushion (if I'm being honest). I think it's a more desirable color, super bright, saturated, etc.

Of course it's up to you in the end--so you have to choose the one you prefer.

But that's my 2 cents :)

+1

S

SparkliesLuver

I know I'm super late to the party, but I had to mention Langford Gems. Scott is a great guy and has always been super helpful. So sorry for not mentioning them sooner! I think it's at least worth an email if you're at all interested to see what they have.

https://www.instagram.com/langford_gems/
http://www.langfordgems.com.au/

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

I still like the cushion better than the round. I prefer the true yellow and it reminds me more of a yellow diamond which I know you also considered. The round has a brown cast to my eye.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1487158563|4129051 said:
I have never purchased from the other vendor but I can say I've purchased a handful of items from Gary and his photos were always accurate and a few times the stone was even better than the photos.

Thanks Niel!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I don't like the cushion because the cushion have a large "bowtie".

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock

This is one of those times I need any "easy" button. These responses are helpful and making it a hard decision. :doh:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results