shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Spessartite Chapter

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we need to start a thread called "Someone's Gotta Buy This Stone!" Lately, I have seen a few stones that should I be looking for that variety (for example, a mint merelani and a tsavorite both on DB), I would jump.

The latest is a mandarin spessartite from Michael at Litnon. I have been on a quest for my holy grail for a long time now - a Namibian Fanta Mandarin. I'm embarrassed to say that I have sent more spessartites back than any other variety, to the chagrin of several vendors. Michael has been great - patient, and understanding (thankfully, I've bought and kept other stones and rough of his, because otherwise I probably would've lost all credibility with him by now). He has been trying to source one for me for probably a year now and he found one recently. I am looking for something incredibly specific and unfortunately, this is not it. But what this is is an oval, 11+ carat (!), pure orange, pretty glowy, Namibian Mandarin Spess. I'm letting you all know its going back in case someone wants it. If we had the new thread, this one would definitely make the list!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not posted on their website yet. 8)

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
You need to start that "Somebody's Got to Get This" thread! Seriously.....

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, as soon as I see the next great stone at a great price... :naughty:

MazelTov2

Rough_Rock
Are you looking specifically for a Mandarin or a Fanta orange? From what I've read and seen, they are two different shades of spess, the Fanta being slightly lighter and more of a "neon" shade, while the Mandarin is the color of that type of orange...a bit darker and somewhat more saturated. Attached is a photo of a pendant with three pieces of spessartite that have all been deamed "Mandarin" by various graduate gemologists. All are very clean and well-cut, the pear shapes (7.25 and 8.6 carats repectively)being from Nigeria and the emerald-cut (8.6 carats)from Namibia. Perhaps the reason you are having so much trouble finding the Fanta orange spess you seek is that you are looking for something called fanta-mandarin...and they are two different things. Finding perfection in gemstones has to be almost impossible because of the subjectivity of that phrase. I doubt seriously that any two "experts" would completely agree on the perfection, particulalry with regard to color, of any gem. Besides the subjectivity of it, there is also the eye of each beholder, expert or not. The ability to discern color/hue varies widely from person to person.

I hope you can eventually find your "ideal fanta orange spess." When you do, I would love to see photos of it. I love the orange shades of spessartite...and garnets in general, so I'm sure your choice will be gorgeous!

Shanti,
Leslie

033__1_.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting perspective. I don't think I necessarily agree with it, but that's really irrelevant.

Thanks for asking. I am looking for a vivid orange (with ever so slight reddish hue) with no brown modifier. I am seeking one that has that glow and has high enough clarity to have scintillation as well. Most likely, it will not be Tanzanian (gorgeous but typically more yellowish orange) nor Nigerian (gorgeous, but IMO, typically lacking glow and often having a brown modifier), so I'm probably looking for the rockstar of spess, someone's stockpiled Namibian. I have a variety of spess as seen in the photo below, all of which I can explain away as too yellow, too included, too much extinction or too much brown. This is my search for my personal holy grail.

A while ago, someone was looking for a mandarin spess (JustGinger I believe?) and there was a whole thread devoted to gorgeous spess. Sigh. You might want to look it up if you enjoy looking at pure orange glowy goodness!

6-27-12spessfamily.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, MT2, I went searching for that thread, but there are about a million threads discussing "mandarins" and "spessartites." I gave up :blackeye: , sorry.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Minous, if you ever want to be rid of the "too red" ones, top row, second and third from the left" shoot me an email :)

MT2, I don't see yours as being mandarin at all...but Im not a GG...they look way too dark/brownish to me. Also, I am not familiar with the difference between "fanta" and "Fanta-Mandarin". Are those two different types of Spessartites? I've always heard the term "mandarin" applied to the very-orange Spessartites, and "fanta" for the glowing, almost neon varieties. Perhaps thats a bad picture you have there, but those stones do not look at all like Minous', all of which are orange (with some degree of yellow or red in some of them). Im not trying to knock your stones, I like the brownish/reddish ones myself..but I don't think Mandarin. And don't feel bad, when I posted my "mandarin' when I first joined the board...I heard all about how my stone isn't Mandarin...in fact, here it is.

My camera desaturates and darkens stones...so you have to imagine the orange, lol..sorry. I am working on getting a new camera. In fact the color looks better in the picture where its in the stupid gem jar. Im going to start researching cameras tomorrow..

spessartite1.jpg

spessartite2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think "Mandarin" garnet is the trademarked marketing name for the original find in Namibia. I heard this from Gene of Precisiongem.com. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

Since then, I've heard "Fanta", "tangerine," and I'm sure there's some other marketing names for the more orange version of spessartite garnet.

ETA: Check out this informative buyer's guide on the Pala site

http://www.palagems.com/spessartite_buyers_guide.htm

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard the term Mandarin used for the super glowy pure orange spessartites that first came out of the Namibian mines. Just like pigeon's blood, I think Fanta and Mandarin have now become commonly used to romantisize the stone in hopes of being to sell it for a higher price. Let's just call it a pure orange, of medium tone and vivid saturation. That's the best possible colour grading at O4/6 ;))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I frankly don't know any more, and with all due respect, don't really care - as long as I find mine! :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

TL, it absolutely makes sense that the Mandarin name was coined for the first find.

Chrono: now I'll have to go look up the coding for the color I love and add that to my ever-expanding description of my perfect spess. Pretty soon, it will be two pages long :lol: :lol:

Chris: Thanks for the kind words.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1340749783|3224058 said:
I think we need to start a thread called "Someone's Gotta Buy This Stone!" Lately, I have seen a few stones that should I be looking for that variety (for example, a mint merelani and a tsavorite both on DB), I would jump.

The latest is a mandarin spessartite from Michael at Litnon. I have been on a quest for my holy grail for a long time now - a Namibian Fanta Mandarin. I'm embarrassed to say that I have sent more spessartites back than any other variety, to the chagrin of several vendors. Michael has been great - patient, and understanding (thankfully, I've bought and kept other stones and rough of his, because otherwise I probably would've lost all credibility with him by now). He has been trying to source one for me for probably a year now and he found one recently. I am looking for something incredibly specific and unfortunately, this is not it. But what this is is an oval, 11+ carat (!), pure orange, pretty glowy, Namibian Mandarin Spess. I'm letting you all know its going back in case someone wants it. If we had the new thread, this one would definitely make the list!

Is this it Minous? YUMMY!
http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9148

justginger

Ideal_Rock
That Litnon spess looks lovely - and very reasonably priced for such a large stone!

There were quite a few spess threads all around the same time, when I was trying to find mine. I still love mine, like a little orange gumdrop. Still no setting plans for the time being though, Poppy ate my budget. ::)

I'm keen to see what you nab in the end, minous. Mine is about 97% "right" for me. Not that electric fanta that I so badly wanted, but I had to come to terms with the fact that what I wanted a) wasn't available, and b) if it became available, I wasn't willing to put up the cash necessary to secure.

And fanta as a description? No good. As discussed in the past, Fanta really does vary in color. Here in Turkey we've found it's almost yellow!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JBK: Yes, that is indeed it! He must've just posted it today.

Ginger: your stone may be 97% of what you want (which is pretty amazing in and of itself), but its also a Great Kharma Stone. Those are very rare. As a result, I think you should indeed be very happy.

Okay, uncle on the fanta! I'll make it easy and just say I want TL's stone - no wonder she keeps such a low profile and every time I ask for her address, and times when the house is empty, she doesn't answer... :blackeye:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou, Minou, Minou - have you learned nothing my child? Searching for the Holy Grail is a long and painful journey (although I have to say that you got close with the Litnon stone)!

Just out of curiosity did it show some brown in some lighting conditions?

IMHO "Mandarin" is a term that's used poorly and is basically used by many when I'm not sure it's warranted! If you think of a mandarin orange, you see orange and NO BROWN! I don't know how many photos we see with brown or red spess that are marketed as mandarin - I can only assume that it's for marketing purposes and to increase the price and/or interest. There are very few stones that I believe should be deemed "mandarin" or "fanta" and they are rare and exceptional. Actually, I think the Litnon stone may fall into that category but if Minou sent it back then there's a reason!

The only fanta neon spess I think I've seen (and covet) is TL's gorgeous one. Chrono's is probably close but (forgive me Chrono) her photo skills are about as good as mine so I don't think her photos reflect it's gorgeousness! Apologies if I've forgotton anybody's lovely stone but I'm not into orange spess so don't take much notice of them.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a spess girl either. At all. Orange is the one color I'm not into at all. So I don't know much of anything.

BUT I am a food girl. And when I see mandarin, I think the yellow-y golden orange of the fruit!

So I say we coin a new fruit related spess name. I nominate Kumquat Spessartite. Mostly because I love the fruit and it's fun to say!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No ring to it, but how about U.S.-marketed Fanta orange soda spessartite? It could be abbreviated as UMFOSS and every one would wonder and need to have this newest thing. As in, "I saw the most beautiful Umfoss today." And everyone around them would immediately drop whatever it is they're doing and turn and say "Where! Where?"

LD, I know, I know; I have a lot to learn :blackeye: but have never been good at patiently waiting. And it seems to me that since my holy grail could walk in the door any minute, I should just act like it will :bigsmile:

Oh, and no, IMO the Litnon spess had not one smidgen of brown in it. Just pure orange and Namibian to boot.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How on earth could I have forgotton that beauty! It's sensational and in one of my favourite designs ever! I've even considered having a similar setting because I love it so much. Many apologies to Arkteia for forgetting about her orange yumminess.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen Arkteia's spessartite in person and can vouch for its yumminess! It is truly a beauty and her pictures don't do it any justice.

beau-wy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Spess is my nemesis. I love the gem, and am fortunate to have/have had some really nice ones. Every pic I take, though, looks like it belongs in a catbox.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
beau-wy|1341123503|3226824 said:
Spess is my nemesis. I love the gem, and am fortunate to have/have had some really nice ones. Every pic I take, though, looks like it belongs in a catbox.

That's comforting to me -- not that I wish you ill. I have exactly the same problem with spessartite imaging. Like you, I have some amazing stones but my camera (or maybe my imaging skills) makes them seem like candidates for fish tank gravel and they are most definitely not! To paraphrase a cliche, I loved spessartite before spessartite was cool. But my camera doesn't.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My camera doesn't do orange well at all - it shows every colour except what my eyes see. :wacko:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Minous, I found a vendor with a bunch of spesses. When do you usually log on? I don't want them to be gone if I post them.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1341518180|3229053 said:
Minous, I found a vendor with a bunch of spesses. When do you usually log on? I don't want them to be gone if I post them.

Wow, PC, how kind of you! Thank you so much for thinking of me. I try to check in first thing in the morning for a bit, then typically in the evening, between 7-9 West Coast time, if that helps. Sometimes I stay on until the wee hours.

You can also contact me more directly (if you'd like) through my DB listing...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results