shape
carat
color
clarity

another embassy emerald

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well update, I have money in hand for the setting job. Now that it is here, my main reservation a) spending the money and b) "size". As far as spending the money, when I have money in hand it is hard to part with it sometimes. I wonder should I save the money for shoes, haircuts, other things, future vacations.
As far as b), my husband says to do it, IF it is what I want and won't have regrets. I've looked and looked and rings and stones I would like more, would add 1-2K to the cost. I can't justify that to myself. I've seen other rings, but they are not "mind clean" to me (don't know what kind of treatments the emerald has).
In general all my jewelry is on the small side so it will be consistent with what I already love and wear. As far as the color, I really like it. It is lighter than my original ring, but still saturated.
I don't think I can come much closer to my ideal color without either having to go down in clarity (which is also important to me), or pay a big premium in price.
Why is it so hard for me to commit?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like there is something holding you back on this project. My gut would be not do it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I think it boils down to size. I had a kind of benchmark of not going below about a 5mm stone, and I broke the rule with this one (because it was so pretty). But if I set it, think I may always regret I didn't go a little bigger. So, think I will either just wait on it, or set some other green stone I have more inexpensively, so I have a green stone to wear when I want.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't sound super excited about this emerald being set so I would hold off on it for now.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, declare me officially obsessed. After mulling and searching, and looking all over the internet, I ordered 2 more stones from Embassy. Once I receive them I'm going to compare all three and (hopefully!!!) make a decision. I will try to post some pictures and get some feedback. There is one I think I will prefer, but it is the most expensive. If I can't bear to send that one back, then I will wait until next year to spread out the damage. But if I choose to keep the current or the other stone stone, I can afford to set this year.

None of the stones are especially large (.52, .62, .71). If I wanted to add yet another 500-700 to budget there were a couple 1.5+ carat stones in contention. But that's not the plan at this time.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part Gypsy,
If you want a bigger stone, why not just hold out, otherwise you'll be left with a smaller emerald that you know you won't set and it'll just collect dust in the case.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I need a huge stone, just one with bigger dimensions than the one I have on hand right now. Maybe I should have ordered at least one "big" stone to see what my reaction to it is. I have a 6x8 synthetic emerald, and that is too big for me. But maybe I should have ordered one closer to a 7x5...

But I'm looking forward to seeing these.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an example of an emerald ring I adore (I don't own this; it is for sale at Lang antiques)
Here this stone is .4 carats. So I don't think I need a big stone, as long as it is the right stone (if that makes sense).

39609.jpg

39614.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone number 1 is .52 baguette with dimensions (don't have on hand) somewhere like 5.3 x 3.74?

Stone number 2 is .72 emerald cut with dimensions 5.69mm x 4.85mm

h06-2.jpg

h06-4.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps you prefer something squarer, rather than elongated?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone number 3 is emerald cut 6.46mm x 4.02mm. Really nice, but the price is significantly higher.

n02-1.jpg

n02-5.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1380561564|3529641 said:
Perhaps you prefer something squarer, rather than elongated?

In general I DO like the squarish emerald cuts better. But it just depends on the individual stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the richer colour of the last one; can't want to see your review of all 3 emeralds.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's 5.71 x 3.78 Oops I see from original post that the 1st stone is the dimensions there. So we'll see if these are enough of a visual difference or not.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well i got the emeralds sooner than I expected. I've made my decision already, and I'm relieved that drum roll..... the less expensive emerald makes me happy (the .72 stone)! I like its overall color clarity and shape, think it will look good in a bezel gold setting.

Here are some pics but I must warn you I am lousy at taking pics. I didn't get home until evening, and in indoor lighting my camera hasa very limited ability to take macro pics. Also the color is not quite right, in some of the pics the stones look washed out but they do not to my eye.
first pic is the .7 squarer emerald.
Second pic is the .6 more rectangular but deeper emerald.

10_01_13_0558.jpg

10_01_13_0559.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture from bottom to top, smallest to largest (baguette, darker emerald, squarer emerald)
And pic in boxes.
I don't know if I will get around to taking pictures of them in sunlight since my mind is made up, but if I don't, will update with pictures once the ring is made! It's been fun.

10_01_13_0560.jpg

10_01_13_0562.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what is your decision?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to return the baguette and the more rectangular emerald, and have the squarer emerald set, hopefully by the embassy emerald setters.

I can see how people get into a particular type of stone (such as Kenny and fcd) and want to have a whole collection. They are all a little different.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Would have been my choice as well. :bigsmile:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
That stone looks beautiful!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks lovely and glowy and I adore your inspiration ring. It will look awesome, I'm sure.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! It's been awhile since I've unleashed the gemlover inside. If I had my way I would have compared a half a dozen stones, but didn't want to test the vendor's patience!
If everything goes to plan the stone will be taken back in Nov to be set, so in Nov, Dec should have an update.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

That is the stone I would have chosen myself. The darker stone has little appeal to me. Beautiful stone.

Annette

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the darker stone has a very rich color and looks great in sunlight, so I don't think my pics showed it off to best advantage. It would have been really fun to get even more stones to look at, maybe someday!
I've only been to one gemshow, which is just as well because my budget is small, but would be fun to look at a whole bunch in one place sometime.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part Gypsy,
So this new emerald makes you feel excited about getting it set? No more feelings of hesitation?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes very happy with the way it turned out. I feel like I'm able to get my cake, and eat it too!

Now I just have to put it out of my mind for the next couple months. I'm actually pretty busy at work (unless I get furloughed) and at home with various stuff, so this month at least should go pretty fast.

maga

Rough_Rock
part gypsy|1380806635|3531424 said:
I'm going to return the baguette and the more rectangular emerald, and have the squarer emerald set, hopefully by the embassy emerald setters.

Oh, yes! This would have been my choice as well. Fantastic stone!!!! Looks like muzo.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty -- I would've chosen the same one. Looking forward to seeing it set! I thiink all your anguish was worth it -- you'll end up with a happy piece.

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1381235015|3534097 said:
Very pretty -- I would've chosen the same one. Looking forward to seeing it set! I thiink all your anguish was worth it -- you'll end up with a happy piece.

--- Laurie

+1

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Great choice. How accurate were Embassy Emeralds pics? I like the color of the stone you picked; is it considered an "R" series emerald? I have no idea what the R means, but I noticed that EE uses it to describe their lighter colored emeralds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results