shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice about size for e-ring

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am back on the search for my e-ring stone and feeling really confused about the size. I want a round Montana sapphire, and I thought I wanted I wanted at least 1.5 carats. Then I checked out this thread ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-sapphires.97655/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-sapphires.97655/page-4[/URL]) and saw a lot of stones in the
I really, really want to buy just once and not have to do any returns so I'm hoping to get the size right the first time. I like big stones (and I'm setting it solitaire) but I'm also concerned about it being recognized as a engagement ring, and worried too big will look more costume than engagement ring.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share that might help me figure out the right size to get?

Also, I believe my ring size is a 9 (I measured but it sounds big to me) if that makes any difference.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are best off thinking in mm rather than carat weight. For example, you could have a 1.5ct sapphire that is very deep and so will have less face up surface area and will look smaller than one that is cut shallower and has a larger spread (so looks bigger).

If I were you, I'd try various size rings (even trying synthetic rings on) ignore the cut/colour but look at the shape and how it looks on your hand. When you've found the mm size that suits your hand it will be easier to search for the perfect stone.

There is no "ideal" size for an e-ring (or any other ring) and it's really about preference. When I first started collecting I liked small and understated and now I have much much much bigger rings so tastes do change. So go with what you like now!

Hope that helps.

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
Thanks, LD that is a helpful reminder - I was so distracted by the carats that I didn't think about the face size!

In terms of a shallow or deeper cut, are there advantages and disadvantages for each?

We will definitely try to get to a jewelry store to look at sizes in real life, I think that sounds like a must-do!

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

I agree with LD that you should think in millimeter size across, rather than carat weight. I have a personal example-- we ended up looking at two Montana sapphires in person, both round cut (but by different cutters, and in different cuts). One was 0.92 carats and was 6.15 mm across (which would "face up" the same as about a 0.8 carat round diamond). The other (which ended up being the one we chose) was 1.15 carats and 5.65 mm across (which would "face up" about the same as a 0.63 carat diamond). The pretty significantly larger carat size stone looked smaller, because it was cut in a different, deeper cut.

The visible sapphire size can vary greatly depending on the cut and depth of the stone. How big it looks on your finger will also vary dramatically depending on your ring size. I have very small hands with short, slim fingers-- my ring size is 4. I would say a good half or a bit more of my finger's width is covered by the 5.65 mm stone, which looks in the "pleasantly big" side, to me. I stated my size range when I started looking at stones as "between 5.5mm and 8mm" which is a huuuuge range of sizes. I ended up getting a cheap ring off ebay with a 8 mm round spinel (which should not be discussed here :Up_to_something: ), and discovered it was WAY too big to be comfortable for me to wear, and it spun horribly. But-- many people on here can rock an 8 mm+ stone fine, though-- it's just a personal preference.

I would suggest going to a jewelry store (you certainly don't need to buy anything, especially if you are specifically looking for a Montana sapphire), and trying on different rings with different size diamonds. You already know you want a round, and a solitaire (I did too!), so now you are just trying to figure out the right size. Ask what the sizes are (or at least the approximate carat weight, there are handy websites to convert the weight to the approximate size for you)... see here for an example: http://gifts.newarchaeology.com/chart_diamond _carat_size.php. See what sizes you like on your finger (this is a highly personal preference, no one else will be able to tell you what will feel too big or too small), and then you've got a starting point for the size range you want.

Although we have the ring made (and I tried it on), my boyfriend hasn't proposed yet so I can't post a picture. But I will share a picture of my stone because I love it. Can't wait to wear it!

A new post was posted while I was blathering on (and staring at pictures).

Shallower stones are more likely to have a window, or a tilt window. This is much less likely with a precision cut stone (I did notice more of a tilt window with the 0.92 sapphire, it was a round brilliant cut and shallower than the other, obviously. I can only rarely see a small tilt window with the 1.15 carat sapphire, but it's also a different cut). Deeper cuts will have more intense/ darker color-- which depending on the stone's shade, can be good or bad.

Good luck!

IMG_4657c.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shallow stones can be prone to windowing BUT that's not a guarantee. Too deep and you can lose the colour and performance. This is why you have to see stones.

Tilt windows will happen in lighter coloured gemstones more often than darker colours and can happen in precision cuts just as they can in less well cut stones. Ignore them as they're typically of no consequence. A window however can seriously detract from the beauty of a stone but may be masked or at least minimised by clever setting.

greta2603

Rough_Rock
I don't know anything about sapphires, but I do know about size 9 fingers! :D

Definitely go try on some rings at a jewellery store to get a good idea of the size (in mm) stone you prefer. You can also try out some fun costume rings -- I've actually been wearing a 10mm halo (from the exclusive QVC diamonique collection :roll: ) for the past few years because I tired of my blue zircon engagement ring and wanted to wear a clear stone. At first I thought it looked way too big, but I've had so many complements on it and people seem to think I can carry off a 10mm ring, so that's what I'm going for now that it's time to upgrade to a diamond. My cheapo fake ring has been really helpful because now I know that I need to either buy a 10mm stone (um, which I can't afford!) or go for 6-7mm in a halo to replicate the look, which is exactly what I plan to do.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
I wear a size 7-ish, and my fingers are average length. I was looking at an @ 9 x 7 mm oval sapphire, and although I loved the stone, I was concerned that it would look too much like a right-hand ring or cocktail ring on me. I ended up with a square cushion sapphire that's @ 7 mm, and it is being set in a solitaire setting. The proportions look right to me. I do agree with the others that you really need to consider your own comfort level and lifestyle in the decision. There are many women here who wear large colored gems for engagement rings an they look great. I just can't pull it off. Not in this life anyway :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slight threadjack to say Chloe, your stone is lovely. For a light blue, it has a fair intensity of color - this is a good example of excellent cutting. I bet that has a high crown and has good depth. Boy, does Gene cut well! That will make a lovely, lovely ER.

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the advice.

I realized GemFix is in San Diego - my area - so I'll be down there soon to look some different sizes in person soon!

And minousbijoux, I agree, chloeishere's sapphire is so gorgeous! I am also looking at Gene's montanas - I fell in love with one a while ago but it's since sold :( I'm hoping a new one will catch my eye soon!

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Thank you minousbijoux and waitforthat! (I posted a separate thread on my sapphire so as to not threadjack your thread any farther, waitforthat).

It's great that you can go see the sapphires in real life, I hope you will share what you decide on, size wise (it's so exciting)!

By the way, if you really like Gene's cutting and stones (I can vouch that his photography, on my screen at least, is very true to color, but the stone was about 30000x more beautiful in real life), you should definitely contact him. I was nervous about doing that when I was looking, for several reasons (partly because I was afraid that they might cut something I didn't want, and then I would worry that they wouldn't be able to sell it or be mad or something). The sapphire that Gene originally cut for me, which was darker than I wanted but otherwise stunning, sold before I had even seen the email from him-- although he would have cancelled the sale if I had wanted it. At the time I contacted him, he had a lot of Montana rough. It won't hurt to shoot him an email, and he is a really nice guy.

Gemfix has a lot of nice sapphires, so maybe you'll find one there, instead! It just doesn't hurt to have a few feelers out, since there are so many facets (I'm punny!) in finding the perfect colored stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results