shape
carat
color
clarity

3ct Gray Spinel OEC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been trying desperately to set everything I have instead of continuing to buy more stones to be set, like I've spent the last 5+ years doing.

So a few weeks ago I was screwing around and looking at the usual preloved sites for settings, and I landed on a listing of JuliaB's at DiamondBistro. I went to her etsy site to see what else she had and there it was...a giant gray spinel in an OEC cut. You guys know how bad I am at resisting grays...

So I messaged her about it, asking about the inclusions, asked for more pictures, asked her about the cut, and she was SO FREAKING NICE and obliged me with pictures, and detailed answers to my questions. Finally, she sent me a message telling me that she thinks I'd really like the stone, I should just buy it, and then she can set it for me later, once I make sure I like it and figure out how I'd like it set.

So I got it in the mail. Since my little one was running around like a crazy person I didn't really get to play with it as much as I'd like for a few days.

I wanted to make sure and take a lot of pictures of it because there haven't been a ton of pics or testimonials from this vendor yet on PS.

So, my thoughts:
1. The OEC cut is awesome. I love the big flashy facets it has, and how the cut is perfect for the color stone, because it has a TON of big fire.
2. Julia is great to work with. Super nice and she really loves jewelry.
3. I really love gray spinels. There is a huge difference in every single one I've had, and they are all awesome in their own ways.

3.05 carat
spinel
light-medium warm grey
Sri Lanka
9.4mm
OEC

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JuliaBJewelry

Pictures don't really capture it accurately, but since we can't post vids, they will have to do for now...

_11774.jpg

_11775.jpg

_11776.jpg

_11777.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Playing with my kiddo's Pantone book. I'd say it's around metal gray, shark gray and can look as light as dolphin and grandma grays.

It's not quite eyeclean, but the inclusions blend in with the stone, so I don't really notice them. If it wasn't included, I wouldn't have been able to afford it!

_11778.jpg

_11779.jpg

_11780.jpg

oec13.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It has a nice big culet (not really that big, but the stone is huge, so the culet looks big too. The crown isn't as high as diamond OEC lovers would want, but I'm not that picky. It still has a tiny table!

I love playing with it in various lighting and trying to capture all of it's looks.

oec16.jpg

oec17.jpg

oec18.jpg

oec20.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
With my Barry 1.6ct 7mm round.

Edit: this is where you can see the warmer gray. The Barry is just a little bit cooler.

greys.jpg

greys2.jpg

greys3.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vendor photos

big_grey3.jpg

big_grey4.jpg

big_grey5.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some other shots for perspective.

_11782.jpg

_11783.jpg

_11784.jpg

_11785.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband keeps laughing at me because I'm so obsessed with it. I think I just want a pretty simple platinum solitaire for it, since it already affords a ton of finger coverage!

Thanks for looking!

oec14.jpg

img_3579.jpg

img_4333.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke, you do PS/CS proud with your consistently excellent photos and descriptions. I am not as much of a grey lover as you, but all your greys are stunning and this one from JuliabJeweler is no exception. And you will rock the size, I'm sure! :cheeky:

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I'm glad to hear good things about JuliaB; I have posted some of her items a couple times on pricescope, but have not yet acquired anything from her. That is a huge beautiful spinel!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Xrisus|1384030330|3553505 said:
Are you going to have Julia set it?
That's the plan! But it may take me forever to figure out how to set it! Lol!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a fair practice she has to offer excellent stones at good prices in exchange for working with her on the jewelry piece. And I'm sure that as she progresses in her business, her jewelry will become even more refined and well-crafted. I don't know her prices, but I imagine they are quite good since she is new to the business. :))

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely stunning! It is the best of both worlds, an antique cut and a gorgeous spinel. I can't wait to see it set!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1384026650|3553478 said:
Freke, you do PS/CS proud with your consistently excellent photos and descriptions. I am not as much of a grey lover as you, but all your greys are stunning and this one from JuliabJeweler is no exception. And you will rock the size, I'm sure! :cheeky:
Thank you Minou! I try really hard, although I keep shooting myself in my foot when I post about the grays because it seems to stir up interest in them, and then there's less for me! But I love OEC cut stones, and a SPINEL in GRAY AND such a huge SIZE?!

It's basically my holy grail. (an affordable one at least!)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
armywife13|1384041426|3553584 said:
Absolutely stunning! It is the best of both worlds, an antique cut and a gorgeous spinel. I can't wait to see it set!
Me either, but I have to be patient, as this one was an unexpected purchase, and I've completely blown my budget for the year, so it'll have to wait for a while!!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Xrisus|1384042447|3553588 said:
I like her tulip ring!
Me too! But I really want 6 prongs because I'm neurotic. I'll have to see what happens when I'm ready!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jereni|1384049866|3553643 said:
Very pretty, Freke! Can't wait to see it set.
Thanks Jereni! I'm excited!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I love Julia's shop. She has another purplish OEC Spinel that I desperately wanted for a matching pendant to my Spinel tulip ring from her shop, but sadly some things came up in my life where I couldn't afford it right now. Any who I love to hear that she's gaining some more recognition. Great purchase freke it's gorgeous :)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
It's a lovely gray! Who would have realized grays could have so many personalities (love the pantone book btw).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
RissaLou|1384072342|3553724 said:
Congratulations! I love Julia's shop. She has another purplish OEC Spinel that I desperately wanted for a matching pendant to my Spinel tulip ring from her shop, but sadly some things came up in my life where I couldn't afford it right now. Any who I love to hear that she's gaining some more recognition. Great purchase freke it's gorgeous :)
Thanks RissaLou!!! You have a lovely HUGE spinel ring! I'm loving her OEC cuts, that's for sure!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
gemandjewelrylover|1384091308|3553778 said:
I love it, it's gorgeous! And love your pictures too.
Thank you!!!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonyachancs|1384093667|3553790 said:
omg, it is so beautiful! and the size :love:
Yeah, I think if it was smaller...well I'd still have been tempted, but probably not QUITE as tempted...I told Julia though, when I was asking her for pictures, etc that I was worried it would be too big. LOL. No such thing, I guess!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1384124705|3553984 said:
It's a lovely gray! Who would have realized grays could have so many personalities (love the pantone book btw).
Hahaha!!! I read it to her all of the time ("read" - it's just colors and things for each color - lion for yellow, train engine for blue, but we talk about them and the colors for a while) but I totally get more use out of it, with all of my picture taking!

My favorite thing about the grays is the crazy dispersion that comes off of it. It makes me giddy!!!!

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stone, and I love the size! :love: I think it would look great set in a white metal. I saw this setting on eBay and thought of you. Unfortunately, it's about a millimeter too small though...Not sure if a good bench might be able to figure something out to make it fit, but the seller does seem to have a decent return policy. The marquise sides have little culets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

pallringmountingmarquise__640x540_.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild said:
armywife13|1384041426|3553584 said:
Me either, but I have to be patient, as this one was an unexpected purchase, and I've completely blown my budget for the year, so it'll have to wait for a while!!!!

Well, TECHNICALLY the year is almost over, so it shouldn't be too long before you can set it. Right?!?! ;-)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Xiriah|1384192241|3554365 said:
Beautiful stone, and I love the size! :love: I think it would look great set in a white metal. I saw this setting on eBay and thought of you. Unfortunately, it's about a millimeter too small though...Not sure if a good bench might be able to figure something out to make it fit, but the seller does seem to have a decent return policy. The marquise sides have little culets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
That's really pretty Xiriah! I wish I could snap it up, but I'm afraid it's just not in the cards financially yet. I doubt it'll be available when I can afford it though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results