shape
carat
color
clarity

3ct Gray Spinel OEC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
armywife13|1384207383|3554516 said:
FrekeChild said:
armywife13|1384041426|3553584 said:
Absolutely stunning! It is the best of both worlds, an antique cut and a gorgeous spinel. I can't wait to see it set!
Me either, but I have to be patient, as this one was an unexpected purchase, and I've completely blown my budget for the year, so it'll have to wait for a while!!!!

Well, TECHNICALLY the year is almost over, so it shouldn't be too long before you can set it. Right?!?! ;-)
hahahahaha!!!!! We shall see. I know for the rest of the year, I'm going to try to get two other stones set (I have the settings, just need to take them to the jeweler) but other than that, it's dependent on my husband and his generosity with Christmas presents!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I know I always say this, but I think it would look nice in rose gold. Bring out the warmth of the gray. Sorta like the front-facing one here. Plus I think the big very-sightly-included OEC gray would look great in a rustic-organic-elegant-mystical-vintagey Cathy Waterman type dealie, which always works great with rose gold.

eaae7f045795999fd77dddc31fcbabc8.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke,
Since JuliaB is a new vendor to most of us, please tell us more about:
1. Communication and customer service
2. Accuracy of pictures and description

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
velouriaL|1384283790|3555304 said:
I know I always say this, but I think it would look nice in rose gold. Bring out the warmth of the gray. Sorta like the front-facing one here. Plus I think the big very-sightly-included OEC gray would look great in a rustic-organic-elegant-mystical-vintagey Cathy Waterman type dealie, which always works great with rose gold.
Lol! I actually have an empty RG setting, but the gray made it look more orange-y and cooled down the gray instead of warming it up.

photo__1_31.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1384284114|3555312 said:
Freke,
Since JuliaB is a new vendor to most of us, please tell us more about:
1. Communication and customer service
2. Accuracy of pictures and description
1. Julia would respond within 12-24 hours - usually less than. It was lucky for me because she's actually located in the same time zone as I am, so I'd email her, and maybe a couple hours later, I'd have a response.

2. Oof, this one is hard. Grays are incredibly hard to photograph accurate, which Julia and I agreed on in our many many convos about this stone. I'd ask her a question about how dark the stone was, she'd tell me and include a picture, I'd send her other pictures of gray stones, and she'd tell me how it compared with them. We had a lot of back and forth, and she sent me a lot of pictures, until the point where she told me to get it, to see it in hand, and returning it would be no problem. The rest is history.

Again, gray stone photography is freaking difficult, the slightest light change, and it can look completely different. Which is something a person with gray stones who try to photograph them can empathize with. Diffused light on a cloudy day? Looks silvery. Direct sunlight? Looks black. Low light? Dark with subtle flashes. Add a camera to that, and it's even worse. So yes, her pictures were accurate - but lets just say I was very happy - once I pulled the stone out of the box. Glass/plastic on top of a gem does nothing for it!

I'd say the description is right on, plus it has bonus information for people who don't know anything about spinel:

"Here is a 3.06 carat spinel from Sri Lanka. It is precision-cut in the U.S. into a 9.4 mm Old European cut (OEC), which gives it nice luster and sparkle. The color is a medium-light gray, which in combination with the precision cut, gives it very nice diamond-like sparkles (see last photo). Spinel is completely natural and untreated. This one has an eye-visible inclusion, which is the reason it is priced lower for a stone this size. A comparable clean stone would cost double. This is a perfect stone for a pendant because it is big and flashy, and the inclusion will not be visible at that distance. I suggest white gold for this stone.

Spinels are not widely known in the jewelry market because good spinels are fairly rare. However, they make excellent choices for engagement rings because they are very durable and suitable for daily wear, they have high refractive index and are more sparkly than rubies/sapphires, they are untreated in any way, and they are priced much better than comparable rubies and sapphires (although their prices are going up very quickly lately). "

*3. Shipping! Julia shipped out right away - I think the morning after I paid (which was at night) and two days later it was with my carrier. My carrier didn't come by my house (where I had been anxiously waiting!) so I had to go pick it up the next day at USPS, but that certainly wasn't Julia's fault!

*wasn't included in the questioning, but according to ebay and etsy, it's important to consumers!

Can't say enough good stuff about the experience!!!!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I'm a total weirdo, but I like it with the RG! Not that setting per se... I think the solitaire band is somewhat severe with the stone and creates an undesirable contrast, but I still think something like the JbBG Bella would in RG and WG two-tone (which I NEVER advocate for, two*) would be to die for...

*ETA: two-tone, that is. generally I am personally not a fan, but I can so see it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
velouriaL|1384309905|3555569 said:
Maybe I'm a total weirdo, but I like it with the RG! Not that setting per se... I think the solitaire band is somewhat severe with the stone and creates an undesirable contrast, but I still think something like the JBeG Bella would in RG and WG two-tone (which I NEVER advocate for) would be to die for...
Nah, not a total weirdo! That setting is far too small for it anyway (3mm)...but funny you should mention the JbEG Bella! An inspired by setting is what it's sitting on top of! It's even wg and rg! LOL!!!

halos.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
hilarious!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great minds, Velourial and Freke. :bigsmile:

Sakag

Rough_Rock
Droooooool.

Freke gets all the good stuff! ;-)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Great job!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1384311242|3555587 said:
Maybe I'm a total weirdo, but I like it with the RG! Not that setting per se... I think the solitaire band is somewhat severe with the stone and creates an undesirable contrast, but I still think something like the JBeG Bella would in RG and WG two-tone (which I NEVER advocate for) would be to die for...
Nah, not a total weirdo! That setting is far too small for it anyway (3mm)...but funny you should mention the JbEG Bella! An inspired by setting is what it's sitting on top of! It's even wg and rg! LOL!!!

HA! That was pretty funny...I never would've guessed it was sitting on that setting!! That is a big freakin' gem, lol.

I am typically one who advocates for RG for EVERYTHING...but Freke, I think I agree with you on this one. I'm not nuts on the RG for this gray.

It's a beautiful gem though, and I appreciate you posting about your experience bc I've really been wondering about this vendor. I look at her loose gems (in her etsy store) all the time...

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
katharath said:
HA! That was pretty funny...I never would've guessed it was sitting on that setting!! That is a big freakin' gem, lol.

I am typically one who advocates for RG for EVERYTHING...but Freke, I think I agree with you on this one. I'm not nuts on the RG for this gray.

It's a beautiful gem though, and I appreciate you posting about your experience bc I've really been wondering about this vendor. I look at her loose gems (in her etsy store) all the time...

Thank you Freke for posting such a comprehensive post about the vendor and one of her stones.

I too, have also wondered about this vendor's loose stones. I think one of the most annoying parts of her business models is that she practically demands that you set stones with her if you purchase one of her stones. As someone who also finds a lot of joy in playing with the stone loose and has a difficult time deciding what setting to place my stones in for many many months up to years, I've been hesitant to work with her.
I wish she'd open up her "must set" policy...though I've been tempted multiple times with her tulip setting...

I know you'll find the perfect home for this spinel eventually. :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sakag|1384569514|3557404 said:
Droooooool.

Freke gets all the good stuff! ;-)
Hah! I wish!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1384572095|3557422 said:
Great job!
Thanks? Not sure what for...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
katharath|1384649384|3557800 said:
FrekeChild|1384311242|3555587 said:

Yeah it is! I think the halo tops out at 10mm or so? So basically full coverage! HAHAHA!

Lol! Well yellow gold isn't it, and I'm not thrilled with it in Rose gold, but I have a white gold setting visiting me soon, so I'll try it out and see how it looks.

Glad I could be of assistance!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
royalstarrynight|1384673268|3557907 said:
katharath said:

Thank you Freke for posting such a comprehensive post about the vendor and one of her stones.

I too, have also wondered about this vendor's loose stones. I think one of the most annoying parts of her business models is that she practically demands that you set stones with her if you purchase one of her stones. As someone who also finds a lot of joy in playing with the stone loose and has a difficult time deciding what setting to place my stones in for many many months up to years, I've been hesitant to work with her.
I wish she'd open up her "must set" policy...though I've been tempted multiple times with her tulip setting...

I know you'll find the perfect home for this spinel eventually. :)
No problem! I do what I can.

Yeah, I love to play with my loose gems...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke, that is a beautiful stone. :love: I love gray (one of my favorite colors along with blue) and I think it would look amazing set in a white metal. Really beautiful color and stone and I am looking forward to seeing how you decide to set her.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the fair review of your experience. I did not read her Etsy policy but it sounds like you must buy a setting from her too? If so, how did you get around it and managed to buy a loose stone?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1384695584|3557960 said:
Freke, that is a beautiful stone. :love: I love gray (one of my favorite colors along with blue) and I think it would look amazing set in a white metal. Really beautiful color and stone and I am looking forward to seeing how you decide to set her.
Thanks Missy! I can't wait to get it set once I figure out HOW I want it set of course!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1384782036|3558396 said:

Thanks for the fair review of your experience. I did not read her Etsy policy but it sounds like you must buy a setting from her too? If so, how did you get around it and managed to buy a loose stone?
Yes. I agreed that once I figured out how I wanted to set it, I'd return the stone back to her and she'd set it for me. I tend to live with my stones for a long time before figuring out how to set them, and I told her that before I purchased.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your spinel is magnificent! I love many of that vendour's stones. The only thing that I don't like is that her lotus setting looks a lot like Sally's lotus setting that she created and copyrighted at Heart of Water Jewels. Some of her other settings are really neat though. I agree with white gold or platinum for this stone! :love:

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
ilovegemstones said:
Your spinel is magnificent! I love many of that vendour's stones. The only thing that I don't like is that her lotus setting looks a lot like Sally's lotus setting that she created and copyrighted at Heart of Water Jewels. Some of her other settings are really neat though. I agree with white gold or platinum for this stone! :love:

I'm not confident that her tulip design would considered identical to Sally's lotus setting https://www.etsy.com/listing/44047348/the-lotus-ring-in-18k-yellow-gold-with?ref=shop_home_active

You see another loop between the petals. For all we know they were designed independently.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see several differences.

1. Lotus has 8 petals - 4 with prongs, 4 between
2. Lotus has a donut that sits on top of the shank
3. Lotus has curls as cathedrals on the shoulders
4. Tulip has bezeled diamonds in the middle of the 4 petals

how_lotus.jpg

juliab_tulip.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I've seen quite a few settings by quite a few designers over the years who have made designs in that broad family.

Plus, I always look at HoW settings and think, "I ALMOST like this, but I just... don't?" (no offense to anyone who has them: they are objectively lovely!) but when I look at Julia B settings, I *personally* like them more. Like she doesn't do whatever it is that bugs me about HoW?

However, I applaud you for looking out for the vendors/designers you like and want to support. For me, two small scale artisans having similar designs doesn't bother me nearly as much as a large-scale company ripping off the designs of a smaller artisan/company. That happens far more often than you'd think. :(

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know the whole lotus design was copyrighted by Heart of Water Jewels. I see that as 4 petal prongs holding a gem with scrolls on the side. To me the rings look very similar. I know copying goes on large scale and that is sad! The 1st and 3rd pics are JuliaBJewelry's lotus and the 2nd and 4th are HeartofWater's. I have never seen a lotus ring before Heart of Water's lotuses and that was years ago.

Note: The picture of JuliaBJewelry's ring with the diamond on the side is of her Tulip setting. She has Lotus settings with 4 large petals and 4 small ones without diamonds in the petals like the picture in this post.

Added: Freke, your spinel really is stunning and it is going to look fabulous on you in any of those settings. I think it would look awesome in platinum or white gold with rose gold accents.

il_104.jpg

il_105.jpg

il_106.jpg

il_103.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is the same! Heart of Water created that design and copyrighted it originally and similar ones like the Whiteflash one are cropping up more and more. I love my three lotuses from Sally. They are all slightly different but still her lotus idea. I have a large blue/grey octagon spinel in a pendant that I think I will have removed so she can make me another lotus but a big one this time. :appl: Freke's spinel has inspired me!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That spinel is gorgeous! It looks like it has a lot of personality. I'm having a hard time imagining the scale but I can't imagine a 3ct could be too big. Discretion isn't really my thing though. :cheeky:

I love the Julia setting. I like the proportions and the way it's kind of organic.

You always have the best finds when it comes to spinels!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Julia's lotus setting and tulip setting aren't direct copies of either the Mege or the HoW. Nor are they really that close. I'm not going to take the time to dissect each one, but there are some pretty big and distinct differences between them.

So I think that throwing this "copyright" and "copy" talk is pretty uncalled for.

Lets face it, flowers are and always have been a common item to model jewelry after. Julia B is not the first person to make a lotus or tulip inspired setting, and she's certainly not going to be the last.

OMG! Stuller copied HoW too with the open oval shaped prong!
http://www.stuller.com/products/2312/?groupId=14860

Velouria, since HoW settings have been brought up, I am not a fan of them either. I've actually played with one before and it did not feel substantial to me at all. I felt like I could crush the shank if I grabbed something too hard while wearing it because it was just that thin. So yes, pretty to look at, but not practical to wear.

I'm attaching images of the HoW, the Leon and Julia's two variations.

leon_wf_lotus.jpg

how_0.jpg

juliab_lotus2.jpg

juliab_lotus.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results