shape
carat
color
clarity

2013 Projects and Purchases

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What did YOU buy and/or complete in 2013?

The year is almost over, so I figure everyone has a good idea of their 2013 treasure trove!

Pics are always appreciated!

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just had my favorite gem in my collection set. The stone is a Cambodian Blue Zircon that I have had for a while. I've had a number of them and this one just had the color I was after, a windex blue. It was a 7ct native-cut stone, that I had recut by Dan Stair. The stone ended up 5.38ct and 10.79x8.79.

I had the ring made by Jeff Davies, set in 18kt White Gold.

These are just quick pics...

This will be a carefully-worn, once-in-a-while/special-occasion type ring....don't worry I will not be washing dishes or gardening with it!

_12450.jpg

_12451.jpg

_12452.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I know everyone's seen it a lot lately, but I blame Freke-she asked for it! :bigsmile:

Mastercut gems emerald, set by IDJewelry.

emerald_ilander.jpg

_12459.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The more, the merrier. POST MORE PICS!

I'll do mine tonight once the little one has gone to bed. I've had a very busy year, so this might be daunting.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Here are some Mahenges I acquired this year. Not great pics, but what I had on my phone.

_12461.jpg

_12462.jpg

_12463.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeebus, Xrisus, I thought I was a Mahenge hoarder! ;-)

It was, ahem...a busy year for me. I'll start with a few completed projects... Gene tsav ring, Dana blue zircon ring, and two red spinel rings (one stone from Finewater, and the one that's unset in the pic was from Multicolour).

img_8370.jpg

img_8838.jpg

img_8842.jpg

img_8490.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the tsav looking all glowy in the staircase at work...

Also a ring that I highly coveted for a long time, and had the opportunity to snag, thanks to a wonderful PSer who decided to let her go (some of you may recognize it). Gene Mahenge.

A Barry Afghan tourm I set.

And Mojito...

img_8280.jpg

img_8198.jpg

img_8068.jpg

img_2957.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus|1386385370|3569236 said:
Here are some Mahenges I acquired this year. Not great pics, but what I had on my phone.

Oh you taunt me with that last trillion. Golly that's a beauty.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinel cut by David Dawson, and Gene yellow garnet (bought Preloved) got set in the past 12 months, too.

Then Winza sapphire, and blue-green tourmaline.

Yep. Busy year!

img_2958.jpg

img_2961.jpg

img_2962.jpg

img_4930.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was a busy year for me as well, mostly due to me almost completely liquidating my entire loose stone collection (I bought two stones back from the people I sold them to) and a lot of my rings and necklaces.

Set stones/full items of jewelry:
Green Goblin
Big Blue reset into tapered baguette setting
Big Umba sapphire into 6 prong setting
Hot pink Mahenge spinel three stone
Orange/Mom ring
BGD/periwinkle supernova
lavender asscher/halo
lavender-pink halo necklace

Loose stones:
Big gray OEC
red spinel
Pad sapphire
recutting hot pink mahenge spinel

pretty_0.jpg

_12464.jpg

sapphire__2_1.jpg

pinky21.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More pics. I'm trying to kind of go in order of my list....

_12465.jpg

_12466.jpg

_12467.jpg

_12468.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
A ruby ring, a sapphire ring, and a diamond pendant. I also purchased a cuprian/paraiba, a sapphire and a garnet, but I'm most excited about the setting projects and the paraiba. All towards the end of the year too--but I'm still waiting for them to arrive! They'll be here in a week or so, and I'll post pictures ASAP!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The hot pink is going out in the next week or so to get the fracture on the bottom loped off.

(I need to make sure my husband doesn't see this thread. Holy cow I've done a lot this year!)

red_spinel5.jpg

peach6.jpg

hot_pink3__2_.jpg

crack2.jpg

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
sorry i only have terrible iphone picture, a Barry tourmaline on a VCA Perlee-alike setting, i had done extensive search for vendor who's able to make this setting, and it turned out pretty good:) together with a rose-gold band with vertically brushed finishing

img_2964.jpg

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Chaumet Attrape-moi… si tu m’aimes (whatever it means...) inspired cocktail ring, with 2 cheapy stones from Tan long time ago

img_2965.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started to buy and collect loose gemstones with this lot from a recent trip to Hong Kong:

gemstoneshk2013_01.jpg

One day, I shall turn them into jewellery pieces.

DK :))

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy. Fun thread! I need to take some new photos, and not while my husband is around to see… Not that he'd be upset, but maybe slightly ashamed of the degree of my new habit after seeing it all in one place. I look forward to posting on Monday. :naughty:

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
OMG NKOTB and Freke, you're making me salivate over here!! Gorgeous work! I love all the stone/setting combinations, and the range of colours is absolutely fantastic. Lovely lovely lovely! :appl:

Don't hesitate to let me know if you need a babysitter for any of these new babies at any point... I'd be happy to volunteer my services!

NKOTB, if that Gene Mahenge ever finds itself on the road again, I'd be happy to provide a good home. :love: :love:

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
@NKOTB: I know somebody is to blame for starting my pathology...not naming names though, but her avatar sure looks eerily similat to yours!

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
Here are my 2013 Fancy Colored Diamond Purchases
0.07 Fancy Intense Orange Yellow Baguette
0.09 Fancy Intense Orange Yellow Baguette
0.13 Fancy Deep Yellow Round
0.11 Fancy Intese Yellow Round
0.05 light bluish gray Round
0.29 Fancy Vivid Orangy Yellow Round (not pictured)
That brings my total fancy colored diamond collection to 20 stones.

2013_fcd_purchases1.jpg

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
NKOTB|1386387827|3569265 said:
Here's the tsav looking all glowy in the staircase at work...

Also a ring that I highly coveted for a long time, and had the opportunity to snag, thanks to a wonderful PSer who decided to let her go (some of you may recognize it). Gene Mahenge.

A Barry Afghan tourm I set.

And Mojito...

I love Mojito! Such a unique color.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
Kelli|1386427632|3569457 said:
Oh boy. Fun thread! I need to take some new photos, and not while my husband is around to see… Not that he'd be upset, but maybe slightly ashamed of the degree of my new habit after seeing it all in one place. I look forward to posting on Monday. :naughty:

I felt the same way when my boyfriend asked what I was doing. Not to mention that I had to count them up when he asked how many I had since I had lost track :oops:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Love this thread. It's great to see the year in review, so many beautiful projects completed this year. It makes me realize I've bought more than I realized, lol.

This year I've focused mostly on buying loose gems, and have hardly set anything! I'm planning 2014 to be a "setting" year; I need to focus more on that now that I have a collection of loose gems that I love.

I have set a few things though... My two current favorites are my 1.31 ct Ceylon sapphire from Dana at MC, and my mahenge studs (sourced by Yvonne Raley). Of course I've posted these before but I assume that's ok for this thread :)

I will post more pics later...probably mostly of my loose unset future projects though.

_12499.jpg

_12503.jpg

_12504.jpg

_12505.jpg

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
I'm new to this but I still managed to amass quite the collection since the end of October. Not too sure how that happened but I won't complain!

The small pairs are in the mail right now. DanielM is turning them into studs!

dsc00741.jpg
img_4493.jpg

The orange pair in the first photo was sent back. I traded them for these. :)

img_4592.jpg

I bought this purple spinel from Master Cuts, Dana threw in the 5mm pair for free. <3

dsc00772.jpg
dsc00757.jpg

And my husband bought this for me after I mentioned I thought it was pretty. :D I can't have it till Christmas though.

24103.jpg

And it's not a colored stone, but these are the reason for my studs fixation. My jackets from ID Jewelry, I discovered the company back when I was still a lurker. ;)) And no, I still haven't found out what those stones are. I keep forgetting to bring them with me to the mainland.

dsc00717.jpg

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my avatar ruby and had it set: img_4793.jpg
and the blue-green Jeff Davies zircon from YT, which DanielM has set thusly:il_570xn_36.jpg
I also bought a charming Lang baby ruby in a diamond frame: img_3537_0.jpg
and an 18k carnelian signet ring: img_4907.jpg
and a Mastercut oval rhodolite garnet: 24948_0.jpg
and a really great big one cut by Uli:img_0107.jpg
and believe it or not a spectacular fire opal that I haven't even photographed yet.
As you can see, I lean toward the red end of the spectrum. Please understand that this was an odd year in which I found that I had more money than I expected and in which I lost my lovely mother. Not sure which was the most important impetus behind this binge but take a good look now, because I am going to draw in my horns and rest awhile.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
babydoll_mini|1386403595|3569393 said:
Chaumet Attrape-moi… si tu m’aimes (whatever it means...) inspired cocktail ring, with 2 cheapy stones from Tan long time ago

It means Chaumet - catch me if you love me. Chaumet is a high end jeweler from the 18th century. I love all these colored stones. I need to start hoarding some. ;-)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
These were earlier in the year so I kind of forget they were in 2013, but they were. These are some of my favorites that got completed earlier on.

My lightning ridge black opal pendant in 14k RG and my other favorite ering, 6.3 mm round Portuguese cut merelani mint, bezel set, 14k yellow gold. Then a pic of my Ceylon sapphire bezeled earrings attached to French wires, 14k RG.

_12506.jpg

_12508.jpg

_12509.jpg

_12510.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Loose gems that I need to set.

Amethyst from Gary at fine water - 4.70 cts.

Two spinels from Dana at MC - one pale pink, 1.51 cts, the other more of a purple to purple pink, 2.52 cts.

Three pairs of gems - merelani mints, tsavorites, Ceylon sapphires. Pairs range from 4 to 4.5 mm range.

_12511.jpg

_12512.jpg

_12513.jpg

_12514.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results