shape
carat
color
clarity

2013 Projects and Purchases

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Pics of my mahenge cushions, sapphire trillion, tsavorite cushion. Sorry for the quality - I had to take these in indoor lighting since I took them at night. No flash, at least.

I plan to set as many of these in 2014 as I can!

_12515.jpg

_12516.jpg

_12517.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post as much as you want! I posted a bunch of my own stuff that already has threads! I figure a good "year in review" type thread is always fun at the end of the year, and we've all seen some amazing jewelry happen this year.

I'm looking forward to seeing Chrono's big ol' violet spinel join in. And all of the rest of her goodies I remember from that one thread she started...

I'm really looking forward to what everyone has in store for 2014.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I'm waiting for this little mahenge spinel to arrive....supposed to be destashing, but I couldn't resist her charm.

Lori

mahengeheartspinel.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus|1386385370|3569236 said:
Here are some Mahenges I acquired this year. Not great pics, but what I had on my phone.

I LOVE Mahenge spinels. Sooooo jealous! =) :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
loriken214|1386491073|3569965 said:
I'm waiting for this little mahenge spinel to arrive....supposed to be destashing, but I couldn't resist her charm.

Lori

Gorgeous! :love: :love:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1386401484|3569389 said:
The hot pink is going out in the next week or so to get the fracture on the bottom loped off.

(I need to make sure my husband doesn't see this thread. Holy cow I've done a lot this year!)

Gorgeous, FC! :love: :love:

I have a weakness for reds, pinks...oh who am I kidding...greens, blues...etc... :naughty:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1386415231|3569421 said:
I started to buy and collect loose gemstones with this lot from a recent trip to Hong Kong:

gemstoneshk2013_01.jpg

One day, I shall turn them into jewellery pieces.

DK :))

Oh Lord, what a treasure trove! :love: :appl:

What are those stones? Pray tell..

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE LOVE LOVE all the CS's posted on here.

I blame you ladies and gents for my current obsession with CS's. :wink2:

This year so far, I've acquired some inexpensive emeralds (inclg a pair which I still need to exchange for a better quality one), some inexpensive heated rubies, a larger pink tourmaline which I've set into a haloe'ed pendant and a larger blue zircon. Excuse my not posting photos since my previous laptop crashed, and my new Mac and Samsung cellphone refuse to talk to each other! ::)

Anyway, I'm still on the hunt for a 4ct+ emerald (the ones I seem to love are in the USD60-80k category) and a matching pair of round smaller rubies as well a loose oval-shaped Burmese ruby (preferably unheated/ untreated) of about 3-4ct. I'd prefer that they be not too dark and more traffic-light red with superior transparency. Talk about searching for a needle in a haystack :rolleyes: .

I'm also reserving a 3ct+ rubellite and am looking at some sapphires (pink and blue), a loose round-cut tsav and some spinels...these are just a few of many CS's that I am lusting after! :naughty: :lickout: 2014 is going to be a very colourful year for me, he he... :lol:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh this is a fun thread! loving it. So many beautiful pieces NK, I share your love of COLOR. Kataranth I think I love every piece you posted (we must have similar taste). I reeally wanted to buy some of the pieces you were posting, but as I was planning my emerald project I was saving my money.
Here is thread on search for stone
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-embassy-emerald.190208/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-embassy-emerald.190208/[/URL]
and here is finished project (some greenery for the holidays!)

12_07_13_0.jpg

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
katharath|1386484813|3569945 said:
Pics of my mahenge cushions, sapphire trillion, tsavorite cushion. Sorry for the quality - I had to take these in indoor lighting since I took them at night. No flash, at least.

I plan to set as many of these in 2014 as I can!

The sapphire trillion is gorgeous - it looks like a tanzanite!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a relative newcomer to PS, I'm loving this year-end recap because I missed most of these gems and completed projects when they made their debut -- in any event, who could possibly be bored by seeing your wonderful lovelies again?! :appl:
My modest contribution to the thread arrived yesterday, an Afghan tourmaline from Barry Bridgestock (whose pic doesn't really do it justice):

barry_bridgestock_tournaline__item__t-7202_0.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1386502791|3569991 said:
dk168|1386415231|3569421 said:
I started to buy and collect loose gemstones with this lot from a recent trip to Hong Kong:

gemstoneshk2013_01.jpg

One day, I shall turn them into jewellery pieces.

Oh Lord, what a treasure trove! :love: :appl:

What are those stones? Pray tell..

Ruby cabochons, amethyst, topaz, and emerald.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1386401484|3569389 said:
The hot pink is going out in the next week or so to get the fracture on the bottom loped off.

(I need to make sure my husband doesn't see this thread. Holy cow I've done a lot this year!)

No doubt in the world that the hot pink will come back beautiful - good luck!!!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
petit_bijou|1386437832|3569536 said:
OMG NKOTB and Freke, you're making me salivate over here!! Gorgeous work! I love all the stone/setting combinations, and the range of colours is absolutely fantastic. Lovely lovely lovely! :appl:

Don't hesitate to let me know if you need a babysitter for any of these new babies at any point... I'd be happy to volunteer my services!

NKOTB, if that Gene Mahenge ever finds itself on the road again, I'd be happy to provide a good home. :love: :love:

Thank you for the compliment! I'm afraid the Gene Mahenge has found her forever home, though. ;-)

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus|1386457258|3569714 said:
@NKOTB: I know somebody is to blame for starting my pathology...not naming names though, but her avatar sure looks eerily similat to yours!

Heh heh. :saint: :twisted:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, everyone has such an amazing year with gorgeous goodies that I love looking at every gemstone posted in this thread. I am sort of afraid to look through the damage I've done for this year. :cheeky: Let's see...
Brandberg amethyst
Russian demantoid
White / gray moonstone necklace (forgot to take pictures of my new necklace).
2 sphenes
Recut 1 sphene
Set my violet blue spinel

46_ct_brandberg_amethyst.jpg

04_ct_russian_demantoid.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trio of sphenes (1.1 ct, 1.2 ct and 2.4 ct)
4 ct violet blue spinel set by ERD

sphene_trio.jpg

4_ct_violet_blue_to_purple_spinel.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Jumping in here a bit late, but I found out I don't have to go into work today (icy roads) so I thought I'd share some of my 2013 stones. I took these photos outdoors in the shade a short time ago when we were still having sunny days. The ones with lines pointing to them are my 2013 purchases.

First photo left to right: 2.21ct unheated zoisite; 3.09ct heat only yellow sapphire; 2.33 Oregon sunstone (cut by Jordan Wilkins); 2.57ct orange sapphire (heat only); 1.17ct (no treatment) salmon sapphire; 2.08ct cuprian tourmaline; 2.53ct Merelani Mint Garnet; 3.26ct yellow sapphire (heat only); 3.19ct purplish red rubellite (horrible photo - stone is a gorgeous deep red). The sapphires all have reputable lab reports.

Second photo left to right: 2.22ct no treatment purple Umba sapphire cut by Peter Toracca; 1.73ct chrysoberyl cut by Gary Braun; 1.69ct chrysoberyl (precision cut from Jeff Davies). This umba sapphire stays purple unlike my other purple sapphire that is a shifter and can look somewhat bluish or slightly pinkish depending on the lighting.

Fire shot of the trillions.......

4.85ct concave amethyst cut by Lisa Elser.

I also got a gorgeous sphene from Jeff Davies and had him make a pendant for it. I posted photos of it a while back in another "sphene" thread. I told myself I would stop buying stones and start getting some of them set, but I was only successful in a couple of cases (the sphene necklace) and getting my green sapphire and my blue spinel set in simple solitaire settings. My local jeweler thinks I died :((

sunday.jpg

sunday2.jpg

_12544.jpg

ameth-g-pear-1343_thumb.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Part gypsy - thank you for the compliments, so nice of you to say. Your emerald ring turned out beautifully!!

Kim bruun - thank you, I wish my pics of the sapphire in this thread were better. I have better ones saved somewhere but snapped those pics just the other night. I am not a big fan of trillion cuts in general but I love the color and sparkle of this sapphire.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I only have 1 project. My 5ct EC Tourmaline from Jeff White is being set as we speak in a Singlestone setting. Should be done right around the holidays.

_12549.jpg

_12550.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Crappy pics in front of an ugly background, but here is my year in bling- minus the one I haven't set yet.

Three stone Rhodolite/Umblites from Dana.

Afghan tourmaline from gemfix.

Barry topaz.

Mali from gemfix.

Spess from gemfix.

Amethyst from Jeff Davies which gives gorgeous flashes but does not photograph well.

In the box is a bad pic of my pretty new tourmaline.

photo_1-6.jpg

photo_2-6.jpg

photo_3-6.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My favorite purchase was this. I stare at it sometimes in it's little baggy.

sapphire_18.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kelli|1386618835|3570754 said:
Crappy pics in front of an ugly background, but here is my year in bling- minus the one I haven't set yet.

Three stone Rhodolite/Umblites from Dana.

Afghan tourmaline from gemfix.

Barry topaz.

Mali from gemfix.

Spess from gemfix.

Amethyst from Jeff Davies which gives gorgeous flashes but does not photograph well.

In the box is a bad pic of my pretty new tourmaline.

Kelli, I love your style! Where did you get your cable twist setting? I am looking at the one from JA, and wasn't sure if there were other vendors with something similar (or better!). Your gems look like a gumball machine--so vibrant and fun!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!! It's actually just a Stuller shank. If you go to their website and click on "findings" you can look up shanks and heads separately. I asked my jeweler to get the twisted shank and the eight prong crown head. It cost all of $250 in 14k white gold.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1386611611|3570660 said:
Jumping in here a bit late, but I found out I don't have to go into work today (icy roads) so I thought I'd share some of my 2013 stones. I took these photos outdoors in the shade a short time ago when we were still having sunny days. The ones with lines pointing to them are my 2013 purchases.

First photo left to right: 2.21ct unheated zoisite; 3.09ct heat only yellow sapphire; 2.33 Oregon sunstone (cut by Jordan Wilkins); 2.57ct orange sapphire (heat only); 1.17ct (no treatment) salmon sapphire; 2.08ct cuprian tourmaline; 2.53ct Merelani Mint Garnet; 3.26ct yellow sapphire (heat only); 3.19ct purplish red rubellite (horrible photo - stone is a gorgeous deep red). The sapphires all have reputable lab reports.

Second photo left to right: 2.22ct no treatment purple Umba sapphire cut by Peter Toracca; 1.73ct chrysoberyl cut by Gary Braun; 1.69ct chrysoberyl (precision cut from Jeff Davies). This umba sapphire stays purple unlike my other purple sapphire that is a shifter and can look somewhat bluish or slightly pinkish depending on the lighting.

I also got a gorgeous sphene from Jeff Davies and had him make a pendant for it. I posted photos of it a while back in another "sphene" thread. I told myself I would stop buying stones and start getting some of them set, but I was only successful in a couple of cases (the sphene necklace) and getting my green sapphire and my blue spinel set in simple solitaire settings. My local jeweler thinks I died :((

OMG, are these all yours? :love: :love: :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1386615995|3570711 said:
I only have 1 project. My 5ct EC Tourmaline from Jeff White is being set as we speak in a Singlestone setting. Should be done right around the holidays.

OMG, somebody pass me the smelling salts!! It's DIVINE!! :love: :love:

Would you mind sharing more details? How long did it take from the time you placed the order and would you mind sharing the cost, ball-park? Love the setting too. Can't wait to see your finished ring. :appl:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1386647854|3571113 said:
My favorite purchase was this. I stare at it sometimes in it's little baggy.

Gorgeous! :love: :love: :love:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1386651898|3571157 said:

OMG, somebody pass me the smelling salts!! It's DIVINE!! :love: :love:

Would you mind sharing more details? How long did it take from the time you placed the order and would you mind sharing the cost, ball-park? Love the setting too. Can't wait to see your finished ring. :appl:

Hey Phoenix. Jeff cut this for me during the same I think. I think I waited 6-8 weeks or something around that. He actually has a 5ct EC cut tourmaline right now that is a lovely color (blue/ green) that is pretty equivlent. I know Jeff charges a preimum for his cuts but I think they are worth it. I love his step cuts.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix|1386651726|3571151 said:
colorluvr|1386611611|3570660 said:

OMG, are these all yours? :love: :love: :appl:

Yes :oops:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

WOW!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results