shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Dress delima

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
I know I can't be the only one with this massive headache, so here i come for advice/help.
First and foremost, I'm 6'1 and about a street clothes 4/6.

The problem I'm having is finding a wedding dress long enough!!! I found me DREAM dress and tried it on, loved it then asked that i be ordered about 6-7 inches longer since it was to short, only to be told that "This designer can only be ordered 3-4 inches longer" the sales lady went on to tell me that if i wanted it 6 inches longer I'd have to custom order it and all the proportions will have to be re-done due to the new "length" of the dress, costing a extra 1200$!!!! That's on top of the original wedding dress price!!! I'm not long in the body, I'm long in the leg (37 inseam) so i really don't need it custom made, i just need extra length...

I want a long wedding dress dammit! And i don't want to have to pay 1K to special order it longer.

Anyone been through before? Any designers that you know of that i could order the dress an extra 6 inches longer with out paying and arm and a leg?

Oh also this is the type of dress i fell in love with.. the pic is from David's bridal but the one i loved was a private collection so no photo's online

7.gif

weddingdress159487.jpeg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Could you maybe have and extra layer added to stick out the bottom, like a plain satin? That wouldn''t change the look too much, I''ve seen them made that way from the designer, and you could have the length you needed without too much extra cost.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
unfortunately the material of the dress might have something to do with why extending the length is so expensive -- i would imagine it is harder to rework the lace paneling than it is to just cut a longer skirt out of smooth fabric. this is my best guess as to why its so pricey.
other than looking for a different fabric, i would suggest asking around for names of a great dressmaker. having a dress made just for you might be the most cost-effective thing to do. i would at least look into it.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
Snow, What area are you in? Maybe some of the PSers in that area can help you.

Also what is your budget if you don''t mind me asking. You might be able to get a dressmaker or costume designer to make it for you for a competitive price. A lot of people have had their dresses made custom here is a recent thread that talks about it. I hope this helps. I don''t have that problem... I am 5''2".

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I guess it's just as hard being tall as it is being short!!
3.gif

Is that dress by Galina for David's Bridal? I liked that dress a lot too! But I ended up ordering this dress from Maggie Sottero in the end. It's very, very similar. Perhaps they'll be able to order it for your tall stature?

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend talking to some custom designers or seamstresses about what they could do to possibly add the length for you after the fact, or design a whole custom dress. I agree about the fabric issue though, lace is more expensive (I''m also looking at lace dresses) and difficult to work with, so depending on the type of lace, I could see why adding 6-7 inches in length could be expensive since that can probably mean at least a couple yards of extra fabric.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not as tall as you are snow, but I am nearly 5''10". I found that all of the David''s Bridal dresses could only be ordered with 4 extra inches, but more expensive designer gowns can be ordered to accomodate your height. My dress is the Melissa Sweet Mila, which apparently is the longest cut MS gown. I know they''re very expensive, but you might want to check out a Priscilla of Boston near you, they told me they could order anything for my height.

Good luck!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain!

I''m 5'' 10", but have a short body and disproportionately long arms and legs (I need an extra 10cm added into the arms of my suits!) I''m also a size 6. All the clothes in the UK for tall people are for people who are long in the body as well - they also seem to be made for people who are bigger boned than I am. My sisters are 6'' and 6'' 2", but they fit them fine as they have the right proportions and are also a size 10-12, so don''t look quite so drowned!

I knew my chances of finding anything that was long enough was slim. Shorter people complain, but my chances of finding something like a second-hand wedding dress are basically zero. It''s a pain having to have things taken up and shortened - but nothing compared with trying to add some on!

In the end I just went straight for having my dress made - far less hassle, and no expensive alterations that then go wrong/look odd.

Sorry, probably doesn''t help much!

angielea

Shiny_Rock
well, I''m a touch shorter, and a tad fatter, but I tried on the Pronovias Dalila dress and it had at least a few inches of extra length. If you don''t wear heels, I think you should be fine (i''m 5 10 and a street size 10/ 12) I attached a picture so you could see.

tallgirlweddingdress.jpg

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 4:44:23 PM
Author: angielea
well, I''m a touch shorter, and a tad fatter, but I tried on the Pronovias Dalila dress and it had at least a few inches of extra length. If you don''t wear heels, I think you should be fine (i''m 5 10 and a street size 10/ 12) I attached a picture so you could see.
That dress is perfect!!! thank you thank you thank you! now i''ll just have to track it down and try it on.
40.gif

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2008 3:21:02 PM
Author: tberube
I''m so sorry you''re going through this. I guess it''s just as hard being tall as it is being short!!
3.gif

Is that dress by Galina for David''s Bridal? I liked that dress a lot too! But I ended up ordering this dress from Maggie Sottero in the end. It''s very, very similar. Perhaps they''ll be able to order it for your tall stature?
It is! i haven''t tried the David''s bridal dress on, but the one i did was almost identical! the David''s one is about half the price though! and since is''a DW it''s just going to be all inthe sand anyways... i''m going to go to David''s when i''m home in a few months and try it on.. and please sweet jesus, it fits and it and be long enough!

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Also thank you everyone else... I didn''t want to admit to myself that i might have to do a custom dress, but i''m thinking i might just have too..
Since we are doing a DW everyone is "suggesting" that i get a short dress, but dammnit! this is the one time in my life i want a dress that''s long enough for me! It''s my one of my only MUST''s for the wedding..

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Watters has a new line of cheaper gowns, some of which are lacy sheeths similar to your dream dress. I believe they can all come with extra length, but the cost varies. They also start out really long, I had about a foot taken off of mine and I''m 5''0". Pearl''s place will be able to get you a discount on Watters dresses.

WToo brides

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results