shape
carat
color
clarity

Weather worries. Need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I posted this in another wedding community I frequent, but I''d love PS opinions as well!

Our wedding date is June 23rd, 2007 in Dallas, TX. It''s an evening ceremony and reception, both outdoors. When I set the date, I didn''t even think about the heat factor because at night, I didn''t think it''d be a problem (and I''m from Texas! What is wrong with me?). I went to weather.com recently and found that even at 7pm, the average temperature is 90 degrees. It "cools down" to around 88 degrees after.

I''m worried about the heat. I''m worried about my guests and their level of enjoyment. I''m worried about my FH, in a suit, and I''m worried about myself, in a long dress.

I just took a look at the rental contract for our ceremony/reception site and if I''m reading the jargon correctly, 1 change of date is possible. If I were to change the date, it''d be to September 29th (where the weather is in the 75-80 degree range).

I''m not really sure what to do. FH wants to get married as soon as possible, but I''d like to be comfortable on our wedding day. For summer brides, how did you deal with the heat? For everyone else, what would you do if you were in my situation?

TIA, ladies!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
as a fellow texan I would be concerned about the heat and discomfort of your guests, especially if you have any visiting northerners.

can you "dress casual"? tell guests to dress summer- comfortable? industrial fans? change the date back to april? move to an air conditioned site?

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Argh, that''s a tough call. I would want to be married as soon as possible too, but I am the WORST with heat. Knowing how much I hate the heat, I would definitely want to change the date. As a guest to your wedding, I would want you to change the date! LOL. But that''s coming from me, a person who HATES the heat
2.gif

I do know that just last weekend, my husband''s sister and brother-in-law where going to an evening wedding in the DC/Virginia area with temps well over 90 degrees (I believe). Now they do not mind the heat anywhere near as much as I do, but I do know that they were complaining a lot about the heat. They were definitely upset that an all outdoor wedding was planned for July in DC.

Of course, remember that we have lots of humidity here on the east coast. I assume that Texas does not have much humidity, if any at all? If so, then that would definitely make the evening much more comfortable than it would be here!
1.gif

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 5:29:03 PM
Author: ladykemma
as a fellow texas I would be concerned about the heat and discomfort of your guests, especially if you have any visiting northerners.

can you ''dress casual''? tell guests to dress summer- comfortable? industrial fans? change the date back to april?
Oh Ladykemma, both are good ideas! But I really like the early wedding in April or so. Ebree, would that be possible?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
if you do proceed here are some of the things we do at ren faire and in the sca for heat when we have to wear long heavy dresses. - bicycle shorts under dress to prevent chafing. drinking mug in hand with water constantly. if you''re not peeing you''re not drinking enough. watch each other for heat stress. eat salt and pickles.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 5:31:41 PM
Author: Rascal49

Thank you both for your responses!

Unfortunately not. I'm in school until early June (college graduation!) so I'd have to move it to the following April, 2008. I also cannot change to an air conditioned site. The Dallas Arboretum has one, but in order to use it, you have to use their caterer, who asks for $70-$80 a head. I don't think so!
9.gif

This is why I'm thinking late September would be perfect. If, for any reason, we can't change the date, I'll be sure to have plenty of water and we'll provide hand fans at the reception.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I had a friend get married outdoors and do a reception out doors in december. She brought in space heaters. Could you bring in Fans perhaps (I believe that was a suggestion). I personally would not want to be hot on my wedding day. What did your FH say about moving it to september? It he just totally opposed to it?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ebree-

Tough call, but I will give you my honest advice...My FI and I were originally thinking we would get married next summer. But, after careful consideration (e.g. weather and my heat intolerance- I really cant stand the heat!) we decided that it probably would just be too hot. And we live in NJ, not in TX!!! So, my advice to you would be to change the date to September, which is what we did. September is a beautiful month to get married, since the weather is usually neither too hot or too cold...

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
leave it for july then?

a linen wedding dress....hmmmm.... nice and cool.....strapless and tea length to let in a breeze.

dress code: summer casual, hand fans as favors from china town

menu: cool gazpacho soup and french bread and butter
cold sliced meats, like cold roasted pork loin with stuffed garlic and cold sliced eye of round
three bean salad or good (not yucky) potato salad or a nice cold rice/wild rice/veg salad
something green like a crispy romaine salad with mandarine oranges and italian dressing
watermelon
ice tea sweet and unsweet
this food will be about $5 per head

cake and punch

mosquito coils and ant death
alcohol bar? keg?

ok, mom will stop running your life now
35.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Ebree, I know for me, I''d rather be cold than hot. I think that''s because I am the most miserable person to be with when it''s hot! I''d move it to September (and believe me, I know how it is to move the date, we were supposed to be April 2007, but moved it to November for tons of reasons!) because I think comfortability is a BIG issue for weddings. I went to one that had no heaters- and it was freezing and a misting rain on top of a mountain, and people were so distraught. It''s the total opposite, but you know what i mean. I went to the Ren Faire here, and passed out and got HIVES from like, 92 degree weather. I''m sure most of your guests will have a better constitution than I do, but you never know.

As an aside: LadyKemma, you work Ren Faires?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 10:12:58 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Ebree, I know for me, I'd rather be cold than hot. I think that's because I am the most miserable person to be with when it's hot! I'd move it to September (and believe me, I know how it is to move the date, we were supposed to be April 2007, but moved it to November for tons of reasons!) because I think comfortability is a BIG issue for weddings. I went to one that had no heaters- and it was freezing and a misting rain on top of a mountain, and people were so distraught. It's the total opposite, but you know what i mean. I went to the Ren Faire here, and passed out and got HIVES from like, 92 degree weather. I'm sure most of your guests will have a better constitution than I do, but you never know.

As an aside: LadyKemma, you work Ren Faires?
used to. Our SCA group was let go from texas ren festival. now active member of SCA. I'm a very good head cook for feasts. like my menu? (I'm so full of myself ha ha) do you work ren faires/SCA?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
LadyKemma, LOVE the menu (and now my pathetic attempt at mac and cheese (homemade, though!) is sounding not so good), no I am just an active participant in Ren Faires, I love them and have been going since i was a child! Of course, this is all in Southern CA, so the heat is less here.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, everyone, for your opinions!

LadyKemma, that meal sounds delish! We''re limited to "approved caterers", though. The meals from two caterers I''m looking at are ranging from $15-$25pp, which isn''t terrible.

I talked to FI and he says September is fine, if we''re able to switch the date. I''m all for it, so fingers crossed that we can. The weather will be much nicer and I won''t have to worry about FI/guests/bride(!) sweating like crazy.

If we''re able to switch, I might have to start thinking of different colors. Hmmm.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 11:02:17 PM
Author: EBree
Thank you, everyone, for your opinions!

LadyKemma, that meal sounds delish! We''re limited to ''approved caterers'', though. The meals from two caterers I''m looking at are ranging from $15-$25pp, which isn''t terrible.

I talked to FI and he says September is fine, if we''re able to switch the date. I''m all for it, so fingers crossed that we can. The weather will be much nicer and I won''t have to worry about FI/guests/bride(!) sweating like crazy.

If we''re able to switch, I might have to start thinking of different colors. Hmmm.
Have fun! september is a much better option.

it will still be hot - avoid polyester and silk?

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
Ebree,

I seriously think you need to consider either moving the date or the venue. Having lived my whole life in Texas I would never consider any outdoor wedding (ceremony or reception) unless its between October and March. Not only do you have the heat to consider you need to remember the humidity (sadly we have horrible humidity in most of Texas).

My brother was married just outside of Fort Worth on the last weekend in Aug and it was 105 degrees at 6pm. The a/c broke in the church
8.gif
and I prayed the whole time that you could not see the sweat that was seeping through my dress. I felt really bad for the guys in their wool tuxes.

The reception was outside and while it did feel better after dark it was in no way comfortable. Guests started leaving the reception after about 2 hours
7.gif
. We went back to the hotel and continued the party in th A/C.

Also, it was locust season and these extremely large green grasshopper things were every where. Not only could I feel them jumping against my legs, but you had to keep your hand over your glass to keep one from taking a swim
6.gif
. I dont know if this is a problem in the Dallas area also, or exactly when the locusts move through, but you may want to check into it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Ponderer,

I talked to my venue today, and they said a date switch is no problem (since it's still early)! I'm pretty excited. All I have to do is get the "okay" from my father, and the new date will be September 29th, 2007. I checked weather.com and while it won't be 60 degrees, it'll be MUCH cooler since it's 2 days from October. I'm hoping for mid 70s, which will be perfect.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! Now, to rethink the color scheme.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having lived in Texas for 5 years, I beg you to change the date to the end of September.
2.gif
Seriously. It is just too darn hot for even native Texans in formal attire, let alone people traveling to the wedding.

ETA: I just saw you changed the date.
36.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
EBree, I''m so glad to hear you changed the date. A September wedding will be beautiful & much cooler!
face23.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on setting the date!! Isn''t it exciting?
36.gif
From one September bride to another, I say you made a wise choice!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you changed the date! I grew up in Texarkana and an outdoor wedding in July would just be misery! Glad it worked out for you!!!!

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
Ebree,

I am glad you were able to move the date. I will keep my fingers crossed that the first cool (or at least dry) front comes early for your wedding.
2.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I''m in Plano, and it''s AWFUL right now, and has been for a few weeks. It''s still kind of warm in September for me, but I''m just sick of the humidity at this point, and I was raised in Las Vegas.

Hopefully, the weather will be gorgeous for your wedding!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results