shape
carat
color
clarity

To tan or not to tan?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Person24

Shiny_Rock
My wedding is in a couple weeks. A few (actualaly like 5 people) have suggested I go tanning to get a little color. I never tan and I am usually my natural skin color because I don''t want to get wrinkles and skin damage. I feel like my natural skin color isn''t awful. But, then I know people look more healthy when they have a little color. I just don''t want to regret it if I do not look like myself in my wedding photos.

What to do?
6.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I would say that if you don''t normally tan, don''t do it. If your skin color looks the same year round, I don''t think there''s really a point. I have an olivey skin tone so in the summer, I look really healthy and bronzed, if I don''t get any sun during the winter, I tend to look a little pale and sickly against my dark hair and eyes (remember that scary little girl from The Ring?). For that reason, I usually tan occasionally throughout the winter (I know, I know, I''m risking looking like a handbag later in life!).

If you normally have fair skin, I wouldn''t risk it. Especially if you don''t know how tanning will affect your skin. You could try a spray tan and see how it looks since you have a couple weeks. If you go that route, I''d suggest getting a professional to do it and not go to a booth. They would be able to customize it so you don''t come out looking too dark.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I wouldn't.

I DEFINITELY would not go anywhere near a tanning bed - you are absolutely right about the wrinkles and skin cancer. As for fake tan - unless it's something you usually do, just be your natural self. I personally think most people look better with their natural skin tone.

If you're set on doing a fake tan, I agree that it should be done by an experienced professional.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope! Don''t do it! You can make sure you don''t look sickly in your pictures by using a bit of bronzer and blush on your face. No need to tan if your normal skin color is pale.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I'm another pale complected person voting no on the tan suggestion...you don't want to look like an Oompa Loompa in your wedding pics!
38.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think anyone''s natural skin color looks unhealthy. It''s so unfortunate that paler folks have to feel like they should expose themselves to dangerous amounts of UV so other people will think the "look" healthy.

Stay with your natural skin color and use a little blush on your face instead.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t do it! You should look like yourself on your wedding day. You can use blush or bronzer to give yourself a glow.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/20/2009 2:10:52 PM
Author: thing2of2
Don''t do it! You should look like yourself on your wedding day. You can use blush or bronzer to give yourself a glow.

Ditto! Your FI wants to marry YOU not some tan girl he''s never met before
2.gif

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you''re wearing a strapless gown, have a girlfriend take a picture. Do you think you look pasty in it? If so, go get some of the Jergen''s Natural Glow moisturizer with a bit of self-tanning stuff in it. Start using it after your shower in the morning about 10 days before the wedding. It will give you a slight bit of color without the horrible fake-tan look. I use it in the winter a little bit so my blue-white legs don''t look so nasty. they look like a plucked chicken in the winter!

AdelynA

Rough_Rock
Hi Person, I''m naturally pale (Irish decent), and I never tan either (frankly I couldn''t even if I tried). Go with the natural look--I''m sure your FI loves you just as you are and you don''t want wedding pics that don''t look like you!

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
I debated this too... I''ve never stepped foot in a tanning bed. Your make-up person and photographer won''t make you look like a ghost. I''d say- if you''re not 100% comfortable with it, don''t go. You''ll be beautiful enough as is.

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
+1 more for no tanning! I''m naturally *VERY* pale, and plan on staying that way for my wedding... besides, I find white always makes me look a bit darker anyways
28.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Don't!

if you feel the need for some color, get a faux tan (you know, like the spray ones?). But I wouldn't go near a tanning bed

ETA: What about using a good bronzer?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I was pale and proud of it on my wedding day! (see below)

I don''t think its worth risking not looking like yourself =)

ebww_28.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My four bridesmaids did, but I remained my pasty white self
28.gif
In all the pictures you can see tan lines on the girls'' shoulders, and my skin was even. Pale, but even.
9.gif

I even had the blonde colour stripped out of my hair to its natural darker blonde... I didn''t want to look back on my wedding photos and see a fake-tanned, dyed-hair version of myself. Just my humble take on the occasion, of course, but I''m glad I went that way.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2009 7:20:23 PM
Author: rockzilla
I was pale and proud of it on my wedding day! (see below)
I don't think its worth risking not looking like yourself =)
You look gorgeous!! There is nothing "pasty" about your skin. It's beautiful and your makeup and photographer worked it well.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I did. I went 4 times. I''m not a nice pale like Rockzilla, I''m a splotchy gross looking pale. And while that''s fine for me 364 days a year, I didn''t want to be splotchy all over my wedding pics.
2.gif
I''m not orange or even tan looking, just not ghostly.
10.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
DONT DO IT! Seriously, I thought being tan would make me look better in the periwinkle bridesmaids dress I had to wear. I learned my lesson as a bridesmaid --- sure at the time I thought I looked good - but now I seriously think I look like an oompah loompah.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
hmm...i went tanning a few times before my wedding day. i had some tan lines i wanted to get rid of, and my dress was ivory and champagne- i would have looked totally washed out without a tan.

my husband went tanning a few times as well, just to have a bit of color. plus i didn''t want to fry on our honeymoon.

i like having a bit of color anyway, but don''t tan all the way through the winter. i probably went a total of 5-6 times. and i''ve very happy with the results.

Person24

Shiny_Rock
So i decided to go tanning. But, only 3 or four times before the wedding. Not enough to look orange but enough to get rid of the black circles under my eyes and clear up my face a little.

A happy medium:)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was in Greece for two weeks right before our wedding, so I came back with a healthy glow.
If I hadn''t been in Greece, I probably would have gone for a few sessions. As long as you do it far enough ahead of the wedding, and it''s what you want to do, then enjoy.

I do think pale is beautiful, though. LOOK at Rockzilla! Gorgeous.

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
I went tanning 4 times before my wedding (on the LOWEST bed possible) and came out just fine. However, I know others who haven''t been so lucky. I wouldn''t really suggest it unless you use only the lowest-UV beds and be sure to lie with your arms above your head so you don''t get weird lines. Also, be SURE to mention to the salon that this is for your wedding.

Person24

Shiny_Rock
Winslet,

That is what I did. I went in the lowest UV bed for a shorter than normal period of time. I am planning on going two more times before the wedding. I just had so many people tell me I should do it, I decided maybe I should take the hint. (even my mom suggested it and she usually thinks I am perfect how I am naturally! ;-)!)

Italian

Rough_Rock
I would tan OR even better -get a spray tan. I got a VeraSpa spray tan a couple weeks ago (I wanted to try it out before my wedding) and it looked amazing! So natural. I got many compliments on it. My suggestion would be to get it done a few days before your wedding b/c it will wear off on your clothing for a day or two. I wanted a healthy glow and it was perfect! I will def. be doing it for my wedding.

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
If you never tan then don''t! No need to be something other than yourself that day.

I''m getting married in the summer so I''ll probably have a little color when I get married BUT I have olive skin so when I''m not tan, I look terrible. I wish I had a beautiful creamy complexion but no. I say if you can do without the tanning than great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results