shape
carat
color
clarity

This may be the one...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I have still been kicking the idea around about having my dress handmade etc. I love the BM $15k dress but I think the work may be too intricate for the short period of time that we have left before the wedding. Sooo I was surfing through the InStyle mag this weekend and saw this in the 'fashion report' where they show all the fashion shows etc and my eye just caught this dress! It obviously looks nothing like a wedding dress (hussy red as my mom would say!!) but I love the clean line and the halter. And BAM...I could see it in my mind.

Here is the original picture (thank god for google! Found it online!) with the red dress which I think is lovely. I saw this picture and thought...this would be amazing in a flowing silk crepe or chiffon gown with the extra bit of swirly flare at the hem as appears in this picture, a slight sweep train, and then the straps/halter would be in a beautiful shiny very thick 2" satin ivory ribbon that ties behind the neck and trails down the back. The back of the dress would be low and bare, with only the trailing ribbon. The crowning glory is that I would add a line of the same shiny satin ribbon at the hem of the dress to tie it in with the halter so you've got some shimmer at the neckline and at the hemline. I see the ribbon being slightly darker than the ivory of the dress in order to provide a slight bit of contrast.

So here is the original .....

carolina herrera red dress sm.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
And here is the quickie Photoshop version
1.gif
Hard to show the shiny ribbon at the neckline and didn't even bother with the hem as I am not that talented with Photoshop....plus the color is a little TOO ivory....but you get the idea. I could also possibly use the same material as in the original red picture in order to keep the shimmer on the material, or I could use the silk crepe which is very matte looking in order to let the shine of the ribbons really POP.

Pair this fabulous imaginary dress with my dark hair up and in a low chignon with some white orchids tucked in, my brand new Regent pendant, some fabulous swingy chandelier diamond earrings, AND a pair of really expensive beaded Jimmy Choo crystal sandals and we have ourselves a LOOK!

Plus as a bonus, this is simple to make and wouldn't give my potential seamstress a coronary. The ribbon is basic and so is the style, but I think the ribbons add a touch of elegance but the trailing in the back could keep it casual as well.

I think I am sold! /idealbb/images/smilies/love.gif Thoughts?!

caroline herrera dress2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
style="padding-bottom:0;marginTop:0;marginBottom:0;">----------------
----------------[/quote]

Am I tooo nosy?
Anyway, there is no way I could deny that this is the one dress in 1000 I'd go for. However, after spending a couple of months sneaking into the works of a fashion design atelier, I have trouble agreeing with the "this would not give my seamstress a coronary" part. The style is a tough achievement, since the dress has to borrow every curve of one's body without the excuse of the bias cut: this takes a dozen fittings or so. If you know your seamstress can get it right, go for it. Simple shapes are often tough to achieve technically. This may take some patience, but it is Soooooo worth it, Mara! Picky as I am, I would insist in tailored straps rather than ribbon (not sure we are not actually giving two names to the same thing) since the feel is so much richer. I'd have that halter straps jeweled (the real thing), but I know well enough that it would take some courage to show up with something that Byzantine. At my height (165cm) I would not outline the hem, given (my illusion ?) that this makes me look even shorter
sad.gif

The plan with those white orchids sounds fantastic! The whole picture?-sensational!
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

I really hope your search is ending right here...

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
this dress is so beautiful! it's simple, elegant and classy! hope that ur seamstress will be able to create this dress for u!
love.gif

i agree with valeria that the strap should not be made with a ribbon. what about a thin bikini-type strap with swarovski crystals or sequins sewn on it instead? It will add that oomph to the whole look and you can do away with the ribbon at the hemline!
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am really not a crystals, embroidery, or thick material type person at all. I don't like jeweled *anything* on my body or for clothes....funny I know because I love jewels.
1.gif
In fact this is why I tend to dislike 99% of the wedding dresses out there! Richard Tyler is my fav designer for simplicity, but a simple slip crepe dress is $4k...so forget that!

The type of ribbon I am thinking of I have seen on wedding dresses before, it's thick and satiny and very luxurious looking. In my mind with the ribbon at the halter and also at the hem will really tie it together and also keep it from looking TOO elegant....it is an outdoor wedding after all.

Val...I know what you are saying on the seamstress....since I'll be working with a local seamstress, not adverse to fitting as many times as necessary to get the right look. One other option is that I know Jim Hjelm has a somewhat similar bridesmaid dress--could alter the halter on that one to the ribbons and add to the hem. May be cheaper..and easier, hmm.
rolleyes.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the JH one I was thinking of, similar option, it has a very small sweep train. Actually still think I like my original idea better
1.gif

JH8525 Jim Hjelm.jpeg

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I love your idea, Mara, but I just couldn't imagine having the dress sewn from scratch... I guess you'd have to really trust your seamstress!

In the meantime, check out this Vera Wang for $1000!

The picture is blurry but if you click on closeup you can see better.

http://www.bridepower.com/DA10.ASP?pid=788&page=2

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, I didn't even know that site existed CC!! I am in shock because I just went through all the gowns and they have the Richard Tyler gown I have been lusting over!! This is like a $4500 gown for sale for $1600!!

http://www.bridepower.com/DA10.ASP?pid=1739&page=10

Next picture I will post will be the one of the model in this same gown, I don't look like that, but you get a better idea of it on a body than on a mannequin! I am in SHOCK! I have never seen RT gowns for sale before. I don't know what to do now!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
love.gif
Such a dilemma!!!!

richard tyler silk crepe.jpeg

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Just a thought on the RT gown, which I do think is beautiful - gowns made out of slightly thicker silk will probably be more flattering on any figure, and allow you to have more options as far as underwear goes. I don't even know what bra would possibly be seamless enough to go under that gown! Since you like the wispier look, maybe look for a dress with a lighter overlay and a thicker base?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't plan to wear a bra with my wedding dress, regardless.
1.gif
Shocking, but I hate the things. I've tried on all the dresses without them and don't plan to be 'harnessed' into anything on my wedding day!! The tape models use works WONDERS!

As for underwear....I'll figure something out!...
naughty.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Then go for the RT - if I found my dream dress for less than half price, I would jump on it!

My dream dress, alas, came and went at an amazing price - but, considering I am not even engaged yet, I could hardly bid on it :razz:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2869863984&category=46778

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a lovely Reem Acra...and the price is EXCELLENT. You wouldn't be TOO psycho if you had bid..hee hee.

I know, I really love the RT. It would just make things so much easier...and who knows how much it would be to have a dress made. My total budget was tops $1k...didn't want to spend alot, but for a RT dress..I could cough up the extra $600. AND BridePower has a return policy!! I am really tempted now.

confused.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe, get validation from your mom or fiance - call them up, hysterical, tell them you found your dream dress but it's $600 more than you meant to spend, but it's an amazing deal, and there's only one left!

They'll tell you "so buy it!" and you'll feel much better.

XvvOrlyBearvvX

Rough_Rock
Holy crap that dress is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which one?!?!?!
errrr.gif

XvvOrlyBearvvX

Rough_Rock
The One of the girl on the runway..

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 12/2/2003 5:05:39 PM Mara wrote:

I don't plan to wear a bra with my wedding dress, regardless.
1.gif
Shocking, but I hate the things. I've tried on all the dresses without them and don't plan to be 'harnessed' into anything on my wedding day!! The tape models use works WONDERS!

As for underwear....I'll figure something out!...
naughty.gif

----------------
Mara! Honestly, you know Leonid's sensibilities... and think of Richard's heart.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HEY! Who let the boy in here!!!

I sure hope Leonid and Richard aren't reading the girly wedding dress thread!!!!
eek.gif
What are you doing in here LG? Sketchy....
rodent.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 12/2/2003 6:43:35 PM Mara wrote:

HEY! Who let the boy in here!!!

I sure hope Leonid and Richard aren't reading the girly wedding dress thread!!!!
eek.gif
What are you doing in here LG? Sketchy....
rodent.gif

----------------
Oops!
naughty.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Mara, go for the Richard Tyler!...It's just so elegant!

win

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Eeewwwww!
love.gif
They are all Beee-U-tiful!
love.gif

I loved that one that sold on eBay, but I just can't see Mara wearing it in a Hawaiian wedding.

The creme colorized pic on the runway is very clean and the Halter top fits the tropical theme.
4.gif

But, Mara's link to the one at Bride Power is very feminine and sultry/sexy looking. Oooohh Lah Lah!
6.gif

And Oh My Gosh. The many other pics. It is almost overwhelming! I can certainly see the delimma!
eek.gif

I still like the one on the runway the best. A bit more formal looking befitting the occassion. I would suggest a touch of bead work just across the top in the front. Nothing toooo much. Just enough to add a touch of sophistocation.
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Mara,

Just catching up on this thread...I think the red dress is more fitting for you..(Little devil that you are ...Hee Hee..
angryfire.gif
)

Who are you trying to kid with that white gown...
saint.gif

eek.gif
---Just Kiddin..!
rodent.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hah!
11.gif

saint.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

I would suggest that you go for a ready-made dress. The Richard Tyler is beautiful and the bridesmaid dress is very nice as well. Mine was custom-made and while it turned out great, it wasn't exactly what I had in mind. This way, you will get a known quantity.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I love the Richard Tyler, but I would try it on first. I tried on a Jim Hjelm that was similar and the thin bias cut fabric showed *everything*! You could clearly see the outline of my pubic bone and everywhere else. And that was *with* underwear! If you're having an outdoor wedding where the sun is liable to shine through your dress it may be even more of a consideration.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep Hest I figure the RT will be the same way. On the model you can see her tiny buttcheek in the little back picture! That is kind of a hesitation here...not sure that I want every bulge and/or bone exposed.
1.gif
Nor do I want my wedding guests or future FIL or similar checking out my buttcheeks as I make my vows!
6.gif
One option which could be a possibility if I get the dress is to have it lined with something before the wedding, this way it will a) not be see through b) able to add more padding to the dress so that it doesn't show bones and c) possibly have it add some sort of light breast support without ruining the line of the dress so that I don't have to do the model tape either.

Valeria, you are the seamstress expert, what are your thoughts? Is this doable by a seamstress if I get the RT dress--to add a lining to it (nothing super substantial, like a slip lining).

I am really tempted to get the RT dress, the company has a return policy and I would only be out something like $50 or 75 in shipping if I returned it. I emailed them and they said that my measurements would fit the gown with only slight alterations necessary.

This would be the only way I'd have to try it on as I don't think I can find a RT gown around here to try on, I think the closest is LA.
rolleyes.gif

As for the low neckline etc, I would probably have that pulled up slightly, esp because I am not remotely flat chested like the model. I'd need some more material on those things! I really do love it but a few friends said it looked like LINGERIE. Not exactly the look I am going for, but when I saw this dress online months ago I recall thinking--this would be exactly what I'd want. Simplicity, some sexiness, and clean lines. Hmm.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Gee, it just hit me that I discussed my *pubic bone* in public!!! What have I become!

Mara, considering it's your dream dress, I'd go ahead and order it and return it if it doesn't work. You're right; the shipping cost is minor in comparison.

Oh, and take it from someone who *is* as flat-chested as that model---you would probably much better than she does!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/3/2003 1:38:51 PM Mara wrote:
Is this doable by a seamstress if I get the RT dress--to add a lining to it (nothing super substantial, like a slip lining).

----------------

Not needed. The best thing to do in not to mess with the dress and get an appropriate "under-dress". I have not done a huge quantity of shopping in the us (crazy that) but I have not seen any... your seamstress can provide it: a bias cut, body clinging, white or neutral color "chemise". This goes under the dress and acts as lining without affecting the look or flow of the dress itself. The added bonus is that the dress never clings to the body (and my bony self needs this) but slips really well on the satin underneath. Cotton satin is better than silk for this purpose (silk 'clings' to silk), although I find fine qualities tricky to identify (usually is too thick) and the thickness of the liner should be finer and lighter than the one of the outer dress. Also, the material should have two-directional streach: otherwise the bias-cut does not follow the body well enough (seamstress should know, you can check by pulling the fabric in two perpendicular directions and judge wether it streaches well and as well in both). Some support is possible to create (instead of bra or tape???!!!) and the 'thing' can follow every cut-out of the dress and disappear completely in the background. For dresses with straps, the lining 'thing' is pegged underneath (temporarily) to the straps of the dress for the closest flow possible. This is not an unfashionable solution, just more expensive than retailers prefer. Designer studios will offer such a lining option for any dress & skirt concerned (I got stuff done this way in London and Berlin, not US). Some particularly fragile fabrics cannot do without.

PS: Sorry for the strange language: if there is a name for this in English - I have no idea about it. I use English professionally only and underwear is not part of the required vocabulary (oups!).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results