shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunday wedding? Too close to X-mas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jen2M

Rough_Rock

Hello all.

I am new to BWW and have so appreciated reading former posts and the supportive community. My FI and I are interested in setting our date for this coming December. We found our dream venue that is affordable... if we have the wedding on a Sunday. We would be looking at December 13th... a 4:30 ceremony, 6:15 Dinner and out by 11:00. The cost savings is between 6-8k- so it is huge for us. We have found other places that would be good that we could afford on a Saturday, but they are kind of generic and we don''t love them like this first venue. The one we love is different and well, it''s us. Is it selfish to choose the place we love that might inconveniences guests or should we go with an option that we don''t LOVE but which might be easier on guests. Please let me know your thoughts.

Also- the manager said that she might be willing to give us this same deal on Saturday, Dec 19th because it is so close to Christmas, but someone else has a hold on it right now, although they have not seen the property yet. If that date does open would that be better or is it more inconvenient because of its proximity to Christmas?

Thanks so much!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hi jen2M! Welcome to BWW!
35.gif

If you have found your dream venue for a price that is affordable, I say go for it.

While the holiday season is busy for most, those who love you, want to be a part of your special day and are able to make it ,will do so, regardless of the season or day of the week. I''m thinking that maybe Dec 13 might be a better date, regardless of the Sunday vs Saturday, given that the closer to the height of the holiday season that people get, the increased likelihood that some will be travelling or welcoming family/friends into their homes, which makes it either impossible or more difficult to make plans to attend your wedding.

Due to the cost savings involved, our wedding will be on a Sunday as well so I definitely can relate to your concerns. Fortunately, nowadays, given the increased popularity of Sunday weddings, I figure you should go with which date works best for you overall and try not to think about or worry about the day of the week on which it falls.

Wishing you the best!!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
My sister is an esthetician and she did a girl''s makeup who got married the day after Thanksgiving, and one who got married the Saturday after Christmas. I say go for it if you know your family/guests and think they would come no matter what. If you have a lot of out-of-towners, I would maybe rethink it being so close to the holidays.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
i think either will be fine...My only thing is if you have a sunday wedding maybe a little earlier so guests arent leaving so late?? Ive never been to a sunday wedding so i dunno??

I know alot of people who got married in december this year.. one got married on the 20th.. so i dont see a problem..close to christmas to me is like my birthday the 23rd or 24th.. to me the 19th isnt close.. its almost a week away...

but if you could get the 19th.. id probably rather do that one in my opinion. ;-) goodluck

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone.. I think it''ll be fine. If that Saturday opens up, I''d take it. Then again, I don''t have a lot of OOT-ers. If a lot of your guests are from out of town, the decision is more difficult.

Plus, if you''re having the ceremony at a church, it will most likely be beautifully decorated!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Sat the 19th is not too close to Christmas. The holidays are fun festive to celebrate anything.

Although on the Sunday wedding, would you consider having it earlier in the day? I actually went to a Sunday wedding back in December I think it started at 2pm and we left around 8ish. Anyway people will be going to work the next day so that''s the only reason to not have it go so late.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I''m having a Sunday wedding, and so far nobody has seemed to think it''s an inconvenience. I''ve found that guests from really far away would have to take a day off to travel anyway, so it doesn''t really matter if it''s Friday or Monday. Also, it''s Columbus Day weekend so a few people will have Monday off, anyway. We are having a late-morning ceremony and lunch reception, though, so people who live a couple hours away by car or train will be able to get home the same day if they want. For us, having a Sunday wedding was due to our schedules rather than the cost savings, but even so I''m surprised at how little resistance we''ve gotten (although we''ll see about that when response cards come in!). So I say to go for it!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I would much rather attend a Saturday wedding the week before Christmas than a Sunday wedding two weeks before, especially if I had to travel for the wedding. I would hate to take a vacation day right before Christmas because I am usually taking vacation around the holidays already. If you stick with the Sunday wedding, I would definitely consider moving things up and also be prepared that it is probably not going to be a much of a party crowd as it would be on a Saturday (not that there''s anything wrong with that if it''s what you want, but if you want a huge dance party with a lot of drinking you might not get it on a Sunday). DH and I never stay out until 11 on Sundays, and to be honest if we attended a wedding that ended at 11 pm on a Sunday we''d probably leave early. We''re not that old (29), but we just can''t stay out late on Sunday and function well through the work week.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
We had our wedding on a Sunday as well, and it didn''t seem like a particular inconvenience for anyone - I say pick the date you want at this venue you love, and go for it!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I think the 13th would be better, but the 19th would still work for most people. The thing to consider with a Sunday wedding is how many people you have from out of town. Would you be okay if some OOT people couldn''t make it if they can''t get off on Monday? And are there a lot of people who aren''t really OOT but would have drive of about an hour or so? If so, they might leave early. If you are okay with that, then definitely go for it!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Jen,

My wedding date is December 19th, 09 and while it IS close to Christmas, it isn''t horribly close.... People are always "in the spirit" around the holidays & often spend a lot of time out on the weekends, either shopping or eating at restaurants, etc, so I don''t think it is a burden for people to attend a wedding the week before Christmas.

The only thing you have to consider is OOT guests: If they have to fly in to your wedding & also (potentially) have to fly to see family over the holidays, they''re more apt to choose flying to see family.

Sunday weddings aren''t terrible, either, so long as you don''t expect guests to stay late and party & celebrate. If your reception was going to be casual & end at a relatively decent hour, anyway, then have it on Sunday. I personally chose a Sat. because I want to boogie til the wee hours of the morning, and I want my good friends and family to be able to stay & have a good time, without worrying about working the next morning!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't mind the closeness to Christmas, personally, but if I were an out-of-town guest the Sunday might keep me from attending (unless it were a very close friend or family member). I don't generally like to make my husband miss work for weddings or other similar events, though my working schedule is flexible enough that I wouldn't have a problem.

That was pretty much the only reason we chose Saturday night for our wedding (it's ALWAYS more expensive, no matter where/how you do it), because with a 90% out-of-town (by a plane flight, not a drive) guest list, we didn't want to lose more attendees to the get-back-to-work factor.

Just something to think about.
1.gif
If I were an in-town guest, or just a car drive away, I wouldn't think twice about attending a Sunday wedding!

palomablancabride

Rough_Rock
We got married on Saturday, December 20. We had a small wedding (70 guests) with many OOT and only one couple couldn''t make it because of Christmas travel. If you go with the 19th, I suggest you send out save the dates so that people know about the wedding well before they start making Christmas travel plans.

jen2M

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone. This gives me a lot to think about. I think I was fine with the Sunday until the option of the Saturday was brought up and now I can''t stop thinking about that. IIf that becomes open I think we would book it right away. I think I might need more time adjusting to the Sunday idea. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Saturday becomes open.

Thanks!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to the idea of maybe making the end time earlier for a Sunday wedding. If it''s a traditional wedding with lots of dancing, drinking, and merriment, the Sunday timing may make it really difficult for folks headed to work on Monday. A more subdued event that doesn''t take up as much energy would probably be A-OK on a Sunday, though. Also, a Sunday date also makes it almost impossible for OOT guests not to have to take off work - which may not be very appealing so close to the holidays. Looking at my past December calendar, I had just as many events on the second weekend in Dec as I did the third - I think from a guest''s perspective that the 19th would just a little more convenient.

jen2M

Rough_Rock
Thanks. That is what I am thinking. I don''t want to move the timing because the ceremony is outdoors and we are going for a certain look right before sunset. We don''t have a ton of crazy party people on our list, but I don''t want people to be worried about it. Gosh! Decisions Decisions!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I''d be totally fine with it. I agree that the only problem might be if the reception ran too late, but if someone really had a problem with it, they could leave at ten.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Seriously, Christmas in just another day really. A wedding of a close friend or family member should trump Christmas anyway. I say go for it, there is no problems I don''t think. And if people think it''s too close then they aren''t really into coming anyway, which is good for guest list issues and saving money.

That is a lot of money to save. Sounds great!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d prefer the Saturday the 19th over the Sunday. If the Saturday doesn''t open up though I''d go with the Sunday as it''s the venue that you love.

jen2M

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!

The Saturday Dec 19th just opened up! So now we have until Tuesday to decide if we want to do the Saturday before Christmas or Sunday the 13th. I am pretty sure we are going to do the Saturday option. We are just so happy it is open and feel like it is meant to be!

emteeth.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results