shape
carat
color
clarity

So, I took myself to David''s Bridal today, and......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Now I am mightily confused. OR at least have a lot to think about.

A little background:

I have a wedding dress. In the 10 seconds I was engaged back in 2006 (from my previous LIW stay) I got a dress. (More info here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blueroses-posting-again.101966/ )

It's a great dress. I do love it. Was almost 1/2 price at the Demetrios outlet, in my size, in my color, and was quite a surprise as it wasn't what I expected to like. But I did. I've never associated it with the ex....that was such a weird surreal time, and it's always just been MY dress.

Fast forward. DBF and I haven't been together long, but engagement is imminent: custom ring has been cast and it's now out of my hands. There're a lot of cryptic shennanigans ("errands", fedex package I'm not to snoop in, etc.) We also have our six "monthiversary" and my 35th coming up, so it's three big events probably in short order. In any case, I think it will be girl-soon.

Last week I told him I'd been toying with the notion of doing a mini dress search--I felt like I never had that experience of being a happy, excited bride seeing what worked: the last time I felt like a fraud and while I LOVED the dress....felt like I missed something. I've been considering making a lace shrug/jacket/cardigan from the lace on my mom's dress to wear with my current one for the ceremony. (Love lace and my dress isn't.)

The more I thought about it, I thought--why NOT see what else is out there to see:
1) if there's something that's more of a blank canvas to match the lace thing
2) something I like more
3) something that makes me think of HIM
4) something cheaper (and then would ebay the unworn, tags-still-on dress?)
5) something more ME

He admitted that while he's not really bothered, per se, about my wearing a dress I bought to marry the ex (he understands all the weirdness and how it's not really a dress associated with him), that part of him does like the idea of a different one.

SO: Here is the current dress

Demetrio's Illusions 3002, in sand (retailed for close to $1000, I got it for $599.)

demdress1.jpg

Me in said dress:

demdress2.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
So I went into David''s today between some of my classes. I knew their whole drill, so I was prepared. I had a cute little salesboy (It''s like they have hag-dar for me, so it was perfect) pull some dresses for me.

I tried a sweet little cap-sleeved lace number:

Liked it. More beading than I would prefer, but very sweet. Wouldn''t work with a competing lace (or my mom''s mantilla or my sister''s belgian lace veil...but still lovely)

dblacecap43.jpg

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that I much prefer the David''s Bridal dress. I think the white would really pop against your skin while the champagne color of your old dress sort of blends into your skin. Plus, the whole using the previous engagement dress gives me a weird feeling. It''s like having your previous relationship in the ceremony with you. I say sell it and get the David''s Bridal dress! It will also show off your figure!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Then tried on a poofy dress that I thought was way not me, but actually quite nice. Still not me, but pretty. I look egrigious in white.

dbtrumpet43.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, Brightlight!

I actually have a few more to post--I''m going to wait and post the ONE I think I really like last. I did like that lace one a lot, but there''s a frontrunner, I think. Sorry this is taking me so long!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
So, FWIW--with the exception of the poofy trumpet strapless one above (which was white), everything else I tried on was Ivory, with the occasional pop of champagne (which I dig.) I wear ivory well, but not white.

OK--here''s one more lace. This was awesome--reminded me of some lulhier (sp?) and amsale stuff...but it was a bit too sexy for me for wedding day, and TOO much beading for me. Pretty, though!

dbtrumpethalter43.jpg

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 8:33:15 PM
Author: blueroses
Thanks for the feedback, Brightlight!

I actually have a few more to post--I''m going to wait and post the ONE I think I really like last. I did like that lace one a lot, but there''s a frontrunner, I think. Sorry this is taking me so long!!
I''m eager!
9.gif
I just love wedding dresses. Occasionally, I''m tempted to go into a bridal salon and try on wedding dresses.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
This one is very sweet...kinda Alice in Wonderland...but was too simple, I think. No train, either. Would be a lovely canvas to do a lace shrug with, but....meh.

dbstraplesssweet43.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Brightlight, you are too funny!!! Today was a little fantasy fulfillment, to be honest....I felt silly but it was FUN! I switched my RHR to my left and just fibbed I was already engaged (it''s a matter of very little time, and dbf knows I went!)...since I didn''t want to feel any sillier than I did.

Plus....my gay boyfriend showed up towards the end. FUN!

I do love wedding dresses.

On that note: Here''s the ONE of six that was a NO way. Just all wrong. My gbf and the salesman both said, "oh no....it looks like whipped cream."

I wanted to try it b/c of the beigey color pop in the front. The sales guy did a wonderful job pulling stuff for me. I wanted to try necklines OTHER than strapless, lace, and other colors.

ohnonono43.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Okay.

So here''s the one that made me go, "Wow. I *LIKE* this." I might even love it, but I am so wary of getting too excited.

I love the teeny beading detail, the empire waist that''s snug at the ribcage, like the V-neck and draping, and the skirt is just enough A-line for me. I still REALLY REALLY like (maybe love?) the Demetrios dress I own. But this is $200 cheaper than we paid for it, so if I broke even on the other I''d come out ahead. I would do it in ivory with the champagne detail, as pictured.

Here it is (Why is this pic too small??!!)

dbvnecktoosmallpic.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
My laptop is run by very small mice, so I can''t do a print-screen and zoom in on the detail to resave it. POOP. The dress is here:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49998999&currentIdx=3&subCategory=-49999486|-49998999&catentryId=1000177&sort=

And here''s a slightly closer pic.

dbvneck43.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so the DETAIL on the one I like is impossible to see in that thumbnail. Will have to use the dbf''s computer later.

But the idea is to make a lace shrug kinda like this (I''d have the neckline match the V of the dress if we went this way)

jacketbr43.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Worse yet picture of me neck up in dress...just to see bodice a bit. I actually fit into the size below this, but this color combo was one size up...so it''s a little more fitted.

9825017360_ORIG.jpeg

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
blueroses: i absolutely adore your champagne dress. i know its a tough decision, but that is one incredible dress! but it has to be you and you have to feel good with it! *sigh* its so pretty.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Aaaaaaannnnnd:

I won''t buy these b/c, HELLO, why would I pay $400 for shoes from David''s Bridal?! If I had that kind of cash I''d get some manolos or choos!

BUT...I was pretty certain I wanted colored shoes (like neatfreak...I like to copy!)
I was thinking red or pink, but...these were fun. And another PRO for a new dress since I think they''re too busy with the current one.

.......it only occurred to me later that these shoes had BLUE ROSES on them! HA!

9825017378_ORIG.jpeg

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Helloooo!
35.gif
My vote so far is for the David''s cap-sleeved lace one you posted the camera pic of. I like your current dress..and the others are nice, but this one is gorgeous and I could really see it on you..it looks like it would flatter your figure beautifully.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 9:01:52 PM
Author: blueroses
BAD camperaphone shot of me in dress

wait but now this one! i love this one. the neckline is fantastic on you and the color really pops against your skin. you have a tough decision, my dear!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Cocolaw!! I *do* love it too. I will get flak from my mother (who bought it) and friends for sure if I go another way. At this point I''m just brainstorming. I could wear it tomorrow and be happy, but....I did find something else I really like. So I''m thinking.

:)

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hi SarahlovesJS! Thanks for the thoughts. I think the capsleeved one is pretty dreamy. It''s funny--you know how you can really, really like somethign but just feel like it isn''t YOU? That''s kind of my feeling about it.

Coco, I was replying to your first post about the champagne dress....see? Now you can see my confusion!!

OK, I have better pics now:

br43vneck.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve got a Rivini you can HAVE. For free. LOL.

But I love the lace v neck capped sleeves dress (probably because that''s what I chose) the best... NEXT to your original gown, which I still love on you.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gyspy! I love your dress :)

What doesn''t show up on screen from the lace cap-sleeve is the beading...I''m kind of not a fan. I dunno. I need to go back with reinforcements. My main gay (the salesguy asked, "is this your fiance?" and he burst out laughing and said, "NO, I''m her number one gay." But I probably have to go back at some point.

Here''s the full back shot of the v-neck one.

br43vneckbackfull.JPG

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Blue! Here is my take on it all. I could never wear the original dress that was bought even if I had no feelings associated the old relationship. Just knowing the dress was bought while with him for the purpose of getting married one day, to him, would be enough for me. But that is mostly because I am an overly sentimental person, and find meaning behind everything!

So, with that being said. The Demetrios dress is to die for on you! GORGEOUS!!!!! The lace dress looks really nice, but I understand its too much for you and it clashes with your mom''s. The simpler DB dress looks really, really good on you! Its one of my favorites actually, but doesn''t look as good as I had hoped.
8.gif
(Look for my thread in a while
28.gif
) But if you really love the new dress, I say go for it! It flatters your figure VERY well! And would look really cute with the lace shrug! My suggestion is continue looking, see what is out there. Heck, return to the outlet store! Think about it, you have some time my dear! I started fretting within 2 days of my first visit, and was instantly reminded by hordes of friends, I have an entire year before the wedding. We can figure it out together!
4.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough choice indeed! I do love your Demetrios dress. It''s unique, but doesn''t look like it''s trying to be unique, and you look so "at home" in it. I can almost picture you greeting people and enjoying your reception in that dress. The David''s dress is also very nice but to me it doesn''t scream "made with Blueroses in mind" the way the other dress does.

Of course there is the question of baggage. And shoes!

If you have your heart set on those shoes, well, that would be as good a reason as any to switch dresses (right, Freke?). If not... you might consider saving yourself the trouble of listing the Demetrios! Especially since you''ve always considered it "your" dress (and I can see why!) and your BF is secure enough to realize that said dress has nothing to do with the ex.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the thoughts, ilovesparkles!! Can''t wait to see your thread :):)

So, ladies.......

I feel like I muddied the waters showing the ones that were just fun to try on but not really looking at.

OH well! It''s fun
11.gif

I will eventually do a front/back/detail comparison for the two in question. And will keep thinking about the lace one too.

BUT
Here is the lace on my mom''s dress (with her still in it after 40+ years. Mom is hot.)

The idea would be to use the lace from this Bertha collar to make a shrug/cardi/jacket a la the one above....this lace has fab buttons down the back, and I would try to match the neckline of whatever I wore it with...and would have sleeves to just above the elbow, so shorter than 3/4. It''s basically the perfect length. Will have to get a costume designer friend on board, but I think it''s do-able.

momlacebr.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results