shape
carat
color
clarity

Smaller guest list than planned....

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So we invited about 90 people to our wedding. But because of the economy, life circumstances, ect, we had a lot more people RSVP "no" than anticipated.

We were expecting a final guest count of 70-75. It now looks like we will have between 50-55 people.

I have never been to a wedding with less than 80 people. My question. Will a traditional reception work for this many people? I have a pretty traditional timeline right now. 45 minute cocktail hour, dinner, some dancing, cake cutting, and than about 2 hours dancing. I am not sure how many people will be dancing with such a small group. At this point I cannot change the major stuff (venue ect), and I think my venue will work fine. I am just looking to modify the details.

Any guidance from someone who either had or went to a smaller wedding would be greatly appreciated.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
ohh, i hope someone responds b/c i'm curious too. we were expecting/planning for about 60 but only going to have 40 b/c it's a destination wedding for all the guests but us. i know with the group coming we will still have a bunch of dancers but should i adjust cocktail hour/dinner time, etc. hmmm....

and let me know if you figure something out ltlfirecracker or if you just leave "as is."

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I think it will be just fine as is. The only thing I could see would be to perhaps extend the dinner portion? Depending on your seating arrangement, maybe you could leave a few empty seats at tables or throughout (if you're doing long tables?) and that way you might be able to sit and talk a little bit more with the guests in attendance to give it more of an intimate feel?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Last year my best friend's Napa wedding had 48 people, was totally traditional, and it was a great time. Started with a cocktail hour out on the patio, dinner was a multi-course affair with everyone seated at two long tables, so it felt very intimate, then on to dancing and dessert.

The dance floor was pretty small, so they only needed about 10-15 on the dance floor to make it a happening scene!

I REALLY wouldn't worry about it!

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely!

I am having 42 people at our destination wedding and that is the format we are using except 4 hours of dancing. 50-55 is a lot and I can't imagine what else you would do with them. I can see this format working for any group over 10-15.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had the exact same issue. Our final guest count was ...close to 70. And it worked out great with a traditional timeline. I think it will be wonderful.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
LT the same thing right down to the numbers happened with me to my wedding - I at the time was devastated initially as our venue was for 90 people minimum and it was 2 wks out people I didn't think would bail did. We were lucky in the sense that a smaller room which was still beautiful was available and all we had to do was change the dinner from a seafood buffet with cocktail hour to 3 course (3 alternate drop) sit down dinner

We had the traditional wedding with dancing and all and it worked really well - also had a photobooth which was a hit and it worked really well - it was a very intimate feeling wedding :)

Good luck with your wedding at the end of the day who wants to be there and counts will be there :)

If there is any specfic you need in terms of info more then happy to help

PS also the spacing of the tables made a huge difference to give the room a fuller feel

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I think that is a great number for a wedding! I've been to 2 weddings of about that size, one during the day and one at night, and both did the traditional timeline and events. It was great because my friends could really spend time with friends and family, without running around like crazy.

And people did get out on the dance floor. As the bride and groom, I think your guests will follow your lead...So if you're out there having a good time, they'll join you!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
We had a destination wedding with about 40 guests.

We had a very traditional timeline and it worked out great. I have pictures of everyone dancing at least once and we still managed to keep it very intimate. The only thing we didn't do was tossing the garter and bouquet because most people attending were couples, but I didn't even miss it.

Good luck and have fun!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone, I am feeling very reassured.

I am going to re-work the layout of the room a little. The winery has some leather couches we are allowed to use. We were going to originally have them outside for the cocktail hour, but I am thinking of having them inside to fill the space and keep the group together. That way, we would have a few tables, a small dance floor, and a "lounge area." We are going to have a large head table for FI and I, the bridal party, and their SO's (16 people). Than the rest of the guests will be at the round tables. My wedding planner said we can seat as few as 6 people per table to fill the room. That won't work for all the tables (some family members are going to want to sit together). But it would be nice to have 5 tables with the head table.

As for the dancing, she kind of said what lucyanddroger said. If we dance, the guests are more likely to dance. She said she has been to small weddings with lots of dancing, and larger weddings where almost no one danced.

I also just called the cake company and asked them to reduce the size of the cake, that just saved me over $100.

I think based on everything on here I am going to keep the timeline the same. The only thing I am going to do is make the cocktail hour a full hour to allow people to mingle a little longer.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I had a very small wedding (26 guests). We had the ceremony, cocktail hour (turned into an hour and a half while my BIL took his son back to my house to meet the babysitter), and dinner. We had a musician playing the entire time, but skipped dancing as our guests were mostly older and I doubt they would have if we'd set it up as such. We also didn't do cake cutting because we skipped cake and just served regular desserts. If it were a different crowd dancing would have worked, even with so few guests. I think you can absolutely have a traditional wedding with a smaller guest list. 50 sounds quite nice, you'll be able to visit with everyone and enjoy some time with your new husband too!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
We had 16 people and our reception was held in the chapel where we got married. We all danced up a storm for nearly the whole night. Everyone got up to dance, including the two waitresses. It was great!

I wouldn't worry about your numbers, keep your plans the same, they will work out.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the changes you have made will really help make it feel like a fuller, yet intimate, reception. I have been to a wedding with 80 and one with about 20 people, very different weddings, but not one in between. Maybe you can ask some of your closer family or friends to help out when the dancing starts by getting up to dance too right away? It only takes a few and then people get up there.

Also, if you can make the dance floor small it helps. A small floor makes peopel dance close together and it feels more like a great party. OUr wedding had a large dance area and even when there were 20 people dancing it felt empty, and I think it did not help things much in the dancing regard. Another wedding had a floor that was a lot smaller and when 40 people were up there is was packed and it was a blast!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I was in a friend's wedding that was 26 people, and she followed the typical 4 hour reception schedule that a lot of venues rely upon. We had a great time, and since there were fewer of us, everyone got to know each other really well, so by the end of the wedding, the entire guest list was on the dance floor goofing off. Made for some really funny pictures!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to a smaller wedding recently, still very traditional time line, and had a great time! No worries :)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
MTG

The wedding was a blast, you are right, there was nothing to worry about. I am still waiting for my pro pics to come in :(sad , but I will post them when I get them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results