shape
carat
color
clarity

Rip Away Skirt

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
Hey Ladies!

I'm very excited, because I think I found the dress I want...sort of :). I very badly want to get married in a 50's style swing dress-- tea length, white, and with a cobalt blue crinoline underneath :) (a bit funky, I know, but I'm in love with the idea!). However, my future husband sees me walking down the aisle in a long, floor length gown- so, to compromise (because part of me loves that idea, too), we want to get me a floor length skirt for the ceremony that I can remove for the reception. My man is handy with a sewing machine, so he'd like to try to make the skirt for me- but if that doesn't work out, does anyone know where I might find one?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

(glad to be back on the boards!
9.gif
)

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
I have no advice but I wanted to say that sounds SO COOL and totally original!

Any pictures of what you''re thinking?

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!

Ltlfirecracker- I checked it out, thank you! That''s gorgeous :)

Pushin40- thank you! Here''s prettttty much what I want:

http://www.whirlingturban.com/wedding_boutique/boutique_detail.php?id=27

But with cobalt blue crinoline underneath :)

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I tried on a dress that was a slinky little strapless number that had a fuller skirt you can wear for the ceremony. It''s by Martina Liana. I have a thread with pics of me in it, but here''s the pic from the designer website. It might not be the style you have in your head but it was the first thing that came to my mind.

martinalianapicforps.jpg

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
Oooh, I love the dress on the left! I love those kind of sleeves. It''s gorgeous! Do you think they might sell the skirt separately?

Or if anyone does?

Also, any women know anyone who has had a rip away skirt?

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any ideas for you unfortunately, but just one thing to consider:

Would it be easier to just get two different dresses- one for the ceremony and then your 50s style dress for the reception?

It seems to me the kind of skirt you are envisioning on the shorter reception dress (with all the crinoline underneath) will be hard to "cover" with a longer skirt for the ceremony without the whole thing resulting in a really puffy/wide skirt. You'll notice that in all the examples people have given you so far of dresses with tear-away skirts, the skirt of the short dress underneath is straight/close to the body. I'm thinking there's probably a design reason for that...

But, if your husband wants to try to make one, I say go for it- maybe he can figure out a way!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps another solution would be to make a bodice and two skirts (as opposed to two full dresses).

But I LOVE the idea of the blue crinoline!!!

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
havernell- That is the biggest issue I''ve had in my head, envisioning it so far. However, the future hubby LOVES the idea of a big puffy skirt, so maybe that could work out :) Gotta hope, right? The biggest issue with buying two separate dresses is the cost, which is the unfortunate part of it (oh, to have an unlimited budget!)- though I guess it won''t hurt to have the hubby try his hand at the sewing machine first, eh? Thanks for the advice!

vc10um- That''s a neat idea- we did find a dress that I love, but I suppose I can ask my mr. to try to make the bodice and skirts to go along with it
1.gif
And thanks! I can''t WAIT to wear the blue with my dress :)

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I love your idea of the 50s style dress with the blue crinoline!

As a solution in terms of the volume of the overskirt for the ceremony, couldn''t you leave the crinoline out for the ceremony and then put it in after you take the long skirt off?

And this will probably mean nothing to you but the first thought in my head when I saw the title of the thread was ''Rose of Tralee''!!!

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked out the dresses at Stephanie James Couture? http://www.stephaniejamescouture.com/

I don''t know if that designer will work with you to custom a tear-away skirt, but she''s basically the queen of tea-length dresses. And there''s one on there with a blue crinoline (the Audrey). A talented seamstress could probably add a tear-away skirt to any of her dresses, just for the walk down the aisle.

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
Delster- Thanks! I''m pretty excited about it :) and great idea on leaving the crinoline out for the ceremony!
Also, your comment prompted me to look of "Rose of Tralee" :) I read the song, and read a bit about the festival, but I''m still at a loss as to how it connects to ''rip away skirt''? Now I''m horribly curious!

ts44- I have!!! Her dresses are actually what started me on tea length dresses- they''re just gorgeous! Unfortunately, all of her dresses have elements that I love, but none of them have it just right
7.gif
Though, I have to say, if I could wear strapless, I''d be walking down the aisle in the "gabriella" as quickly as can be!!! Though, I wonder if she''d add a halter strap to one? I suppose asking wouldn''t hurt, eh?
31.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 2:01:51 PM
Author: lilmissrugger
Delster- Thanks! I''m pretty excited about it :) and great idea on leaving the crinoline out for the ceremony!
Also, your comment prompted me to look of ''Rose of Tralee'' :) I read the song, and read a bit about the festival, but I''m still at a loss as to how it connects to ''rip away skirt''? Now I''m horribly curious!

ts44- I have!!! Her dresses are actually what started me on tea length dresses- they''re just gorgeous! Unfortunately, all of her dresses have elements that I love, but none of them have it just right
7.gif
Though, I have to say, if I could wear strapless, I''d be walking down the aisle in the ''gabriella'' as quickly as can be!!! Though, I wonder if she''d add a halter strap to one? I suppose asking wouldn''t hurt, eh?
31.gif
You aren''t the only one! I have no clue either. Unlesss Mr D''Arcy has taken to wearing rip off skirts and it never made the headlines here...
33.gif

As for the topic in hand I love the idea. Perhaps you could look to the dancer''s circles as I imagine they would be commonplace in the theatre.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Steal I am ashamed of you! Don't you know every year there's a contestant with a rip away skirt??? This year it was the Luxembourg Rose. Picture attached. I tried and tried to find a YouTube video but to no avail. Apologies for the eye-blinding-repetitious-ness of this, it was the best I could do
1.gif

And for the uninitiated, we are referring to a pageant that celebrates women of Irish heritage. A lot of the girls do Irish dancing on it, and every year there's one girl who comes out in a full-on ballgown, only to rip off the skirt and reveal a short skirt and dancing clogs underneath!

ieyatoehuabgriagawe.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Oh no. My eyes! It is all coming back to me now....

Thanks for the memories Delster.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.dollycouture.com/

Have you seen this vendor? They can definitely make the short dress with the blue crinoline (for a reasonable price.) You might want to email them and see if they can make a rip away skirt.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 2:01:51 PM
Author: lilmissrugger

Also, your comment prompted me to look of ''Rose of Tralee'' :) I read the song, and read a bit about the festival, but I''m still at a loss as to how it connects to ''rip away skirt''? Now I''m horribly curious!

7.gif
Though, I have to say, if I could wear strapless, I''d be walking down the aisle in the ''gabriella'' as quickly as can be!!! Though, I wonder if she''d add a halter strap to one? I suppose asking wouldn''t hurt, eh?

31.gif
not a BIW but she has said on her blog that she will change the dress to be the way you want it, i.e. making it strapless or having sleeves... etc. I
30.gif
Her

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''m really excited-- also, I love the rip away skirt for the Rose of Tralee- that''s so cute! I''ve actually been trying to decide if I want to walk into the reception in the shorter skirt, or undo the overskirt before I go into the reception, have the groom "accidentally" step on my dress, and "rip" the over skirt off, revealing the cute little skirt- I think that would crack me up- the collective gasp heard from the guests and everything! :D

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 4:02:11 PM
Author: Steal
Unlesss Mr D''Arcy has taken to wearing rip off skirts and it never made the headlines here...
33.gif
2056435t23vtdelto.gif

Oh jesus, the mental image. Never know what''s going on in today fm studios!

PS Steal...what''s with the subtle name change?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results