shape
carat
color
clarity

Red or purple?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Tractors aside (on this see the $200 pepper mill thread) I''m having trouble deciding between using deep red flowers or purple flowers. For reference, the venue is decorated in shades of cream and black. And my dress is a silvery white, as in the next pic...

venue colours1.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Red red red! But I''m an anti-purple gal, in general, so my answer is obviously biased. I think the deep red would bring old-hollywood glamour to the black/silver ambiance!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
So now what colour should the tractor... uh... I mean flowers be? Would a mix of deep red and deep purple work?

Here is the purple I love.

vosges purple1.jpg

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Although I think both would be pretty, I think I''d go purple...since black, white and red has been done so often before...

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
And here''s the scheme I was originally thinking of.

Could I do purple flowers for my bouquet with a few red accents, and red flowers for the tables? My mom would be horrified at the red / purple combo, but I think it''s cool!

red cream black1.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2007 12:07:31 PM
Author: musey
Red red red! But I''m an anti-purple gal, in general, so my answer is obviously biased. I think the deep red would bring old-hollywood glamour to the black/silver ambiance!
I agree, but I am also pretty anti purple as well. Based on the photograph you put up, I think some "pow" would look awesome. Purple isn''t pow, IMHO.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Well, FI doesn''t like purple either, but he said I could do purple if I wanted (and if it was THAT purple... which he likes) because so far he''s got his way on just about everything. He is one very opinionated groom!

Do you think I can get away with a mix of purple and red for the bouquet? That way, e.g., my bouquet won''t blend in to the flowers on the tables.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I think you could. Just make sure you use a blue-red and a royal purple so the tones of the colors complement each other. Or even a slightly more blackish purple like those dark purple callas.

You could probably do alternating red and purple centerpieces as long as you threw in some white filler flowers to break up the intensity.

Is your cake black and white? Harlequin cakes are the best IMO ;-)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
honestly, i''d do both. deep reds & purples. real jewel toned. hummm.
i did red (but started out with purple). in the end, i sometimes wish i would have done a mixture. creates MUCH more depth and interest.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
No cake! We decided it was frivolous given we''re already paying for a fine desert by a pastry chef as part of the meal, and neither of us is particularly attached to, or even attracted to, the cake cutting tradition.

I think we''ll probably stick to one colour flowers for the tables, since the venue is providing those and the planner basically said ''Tell me what colour and I''ll do something up''. Keeping it simple might be wise in that case! So I''d probably only do purple in my bouquet and have red on the tables, which I think is classier.

I just wondered if dominant purple would look better with my dress?!? And make my bouquet stand out from the table flowers. I''m not sure I really wanna ''match'' the tables, know what I mean?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
My florist said that there are two types of purples: warm purple (often used with reds) and cool purples (often used with pinks). I like warm purples and in particular am a big fan of the burgundy peony.

If you were to do reds, I''d do deep, dark reds, nothing bright, and combine them with the warmer purples.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I''m going to be honest. I used to love a really pretty red/purple combo.. but that has since been ruined for me in recent years with the Red Hat Society. Don''t get me wrong, I think it''s a great group. But any time I see red and purple together now it makes me think of them and kind of makes me groan.

That being said, I attended a wedding several years ago where the flowers were red and purple and the bouquets were seriously stunning.

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
I''d do both. Rich royal purple is awesome, lighter purples I don''t like as much. But I agree with jcrow, deep red&purple are fantastic jewel tones. I adore that...really classy looking.

and there are so many fantastic red and purple flowers!

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
Here''s what I imagine when I think deep reds and purples in jewel tones. I think it goes really well with the decor of your location!

purpleandredflowers.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hope you don''t mine april, but i used the bouquet you posted to show what i was thinking
5.gif

i like this, but i''d do more DEEP red in this.

purpleandredflowers[1].jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I *love* the combination April Diamonds and JCrow posted. Those jewel tones are perfect for an artsy, non-traditional wedding.

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, yeah Jcrow. I was thinking the same! I just couldn''t find the perfect picture and thought this one gave the right idea at least. I agree though, more reds, and an even deeper purple. :D

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I love the two combined. Actually BMW does too. That combo plus an azure blue is the MS racing colors. It actually makes your mouth water. The vivid colors together. In your case the fruitiness of the grapelike purple and cherry berry red...yummmy.

We painted a car showroom with those colors and used accents too. Black seating...chromes...It was extremely modern/contemporary like you are girlie. Oh, please don''t be affraid of my automotive comparision. Your wedding is not going to end up like a car showroom!! kiss kiss.

That venue is to DIE for. I love the focal point of that room. As neutral as it is, any choice you make will be spectacular. I would lean towards two colors as red is valentiney or Christmasy...on its own (nothing wrong in that---many have glorious examples of the use of red. Very classy. Didn''t J Crow do all reds? Her wedding was magazine perfect). But add another and you punch it up to the next non traditional level. When I think of all your details...the dress...the no cake...and the pepper mill...you are definately NON traditional. Modern WOMAN with a smidgen of EDGEY ness. Smack I love ya! You are a itty bitty me! Mini me!! (oops, sorry...don''t know how you feel about that).

Add a second color!!
36.gif

DKS

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Love that bouquet! It looks good enough to eat.

I had pretty much convinced myself that I wanted to copy JCrow''s bouquet, before I started thinking purples. For one thing, I''m small like JCrow so I know what size is the right size if I use JCrow''s pic. For another, her flowers are so scwarbly, big and fluffy.

Yes, I think it''s got to be jewel tone purples and deep reds for my bouquet, deep red flowers for the tables, and purple accents (like ribbon) here and there.

So, if I''m a mini-DKS does that make me ... Drawer-Knob-Solitare? heh?

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/17/2007 12:02:26 PM
Author:Independent Gal
Tractors aside (on this see the $200 pepper mill thread) I''m having trouble deciding between using deep red flowers or purple flowers. For reference, the venue is decorated in shades of cream and black. And my dress is a silvery white, as in the next pic...

Hey, not to thread jack, but i LOVE YOUR VENUE!!!!

Where and what is it?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
It's actually a restaurant in a 18th or 19th century building in my hometown. The pic is to the left of the front entryway and it stretchs out a ways to the right, and that part will be cleared of tables to function as a dance floor (and possible for the ceremony too). The area opposite on the other side of the door is set up with loungy couches and tables. For, uh, lounging and cocktailing. Then there are some steps up to where the tables will be set. Flanking the stairs they have wicked 5 foot candleabras that they overflow with flowers instead of candles, that stretch up to a piece of mirror on the ceiling to create a fabulous effect. At the back there's a wine area that's covered with luscious velvet curtains. The head table will be set up there.

The place is owned by a woman who owns another restaurant where my sister used to work. I'd never been inside this one but my sis suggested it. The second my dad and I walked in we said 'This is the place'. Plus, when you arrive, there is a very impressive old wooden doorway, flanked by electric green topiaries and block coloured modernist pennants in bright orange. It looks very impressive and unsual!

Hooray. I love my venue.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
The red hat society started from a poem:

WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN I SHALL WEAR PURPLE
With a red hat which doesn''t go, and doesn''t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we''ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I''m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people''s gardens
And learn to spit

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

I don''t know much about the group...just some organization inspired by the poem, lots of older women.

I still dig purple and red.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had the same problem! I knew I wanted a black and white wedding with an accent color. I ended up with purple. I DO think plum and deep red work together IF you want to use both colors. I do think the purple did "pow" in my wedding photographs. So I wouldn't worry about that!

ETA: the reason I chose purple in the end is I love monochromatic things and purple gave me more options (tones) than red.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2007 1:41:42 PM
Author: Independent Gal
What is the red hat society? Sounds wacky...?

It''s this social organization for women over 50.. They have conventions and stuff. A lot of boutiques carry stuff for them in red and purple. They will have tea parties and wear tacky red/purple hats and feather boas, red and purple jewelry, etc. Any function they have, they wear these outfits. If you are under 50 you may come but you have to wear pink and lavender.

redhatsociety.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oh stop! Please! That''s just not fair. Now you''ve gone and ruined purple and red for me too. I mean, nice idea for a society and all. But really. That''s just yuck. No offence to anyone, but she looks like a circus clown or something. Or an actor in children''s theater. Which is not really the look I''m going for for my wedding.
7.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
I adore the bouquet with the mix of red and purple!

if the red hat society lady didn''t ruin it for you, maybe check with the florist at the venue to make sure that she will have access to flowers that are that really deep shade of purple. if they just do the floral arrangements on the side then the only purple flowers they might have access to are more lavender than plum...and she might think that would be acceptable. just a thought! i would hate for you to get your heart set on purple centerpieces just to get shot down by the florist
20.gif
. but hopefully that wouldn''t be an issue!!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Trying hard not to take any of the dissenting comments too personally, since our wedding colors were warm shades of purple with deep red accents!
2.gif

Our bridesmaids wore black and we kept everything fairly simple (white flowers with candles against deep red tableclothes, etc)... but I thought everything turned out great... especially the look of the red and purple bouquets with my white dress and the black BM dresses for contrast.

So suffice it to say, that's my vote!!
9.gif

(ETA -- Eph Wedding Pix Thread ... some shots of bouquets on first page, centerpieces on second page)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results