shape
carat
color
clarity

Planning advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mrs DMcD

Rough_Rock
I was wondering what advice anyone out there who has begun or completed the planning process for a wedding could offer. Here is my dilemma... We recently got engaged, and ideally I would like a fall (Sept/Oct.) 2008 wedding. We would also like to buy a house before/around when we are married (preferably closer to the wedding rather than now). Is just over a year going to be rushing all of this as far as planning? I don''t have many other major time commitments to take away from planning time (no extremely long work hours, not in school, etc), and can usually be pretty organized.

The other option would be to wait for the Spring (may?) of 2009, but I don''t want to be disappointed with spring when recently I have been set on fall...

Is this going to be too rushed?
33.gif
Thanks to anyone with advice!
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Well, with some effort and focus, I just about got my wedding planned in 7 weeks. There''s little stuff left to do, which would probably take another 4-6 weeks. So no, I don''t think it''s rushed.

I think it partly depends how much little detail you want to get into and how fussy you are about stuff. If you MUST check out EVERY photographer in your area before picking one, it might take a little longer.

But all in all, I think a year is plenty of time. Why not list the tasks that have to be completed and assign each one a time frame? E.g.:

Month 1: consider budget, book location, try on dresses, tack up preliminary guest list
Month 2: pick invitations, settle on a dress, look into photographers
Month 3: Pick photographer, look into bands
Month 4: Book the band, look into florists, look into wedding bands
Month 5: Legal stuff? Finalize guest list, think about bridesmaids'' gear and stuff
Month 6: Favors? decorations?

See what I mean? Easy!
4.gif

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Mrs DMcD - My fiance and I are having a 9-month engagement. We were engaged end of June, started planning right away, and at the moment, while waist-deep with the wedding planning, we just signed a contract on a condo!

Sometimes I do want to pull my hair out because it''s so overwhelming. But I call all my vendors during lunch hour at work, make weekday evening/weekend appointments, use email as my primary form of communication, and try to stay as organized as possible. It''s tough, but I figure that in a few months when all the major vendors have been booked there should be some slow time.

So yes I think a 1-year engagement is definitely possible! And if you need help just let us know!

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it will but it can be done, and the fact that you''re organized will help you save time. We were engaged for a year, married June 2007. Hubby signed the papers for the house one week before we were married. Be prepared for some frantic late nights though! We did have lots of help from our families in wedding preparations and in house hunting. As for moving into our new house, we didn''t do that till nearly three weeks after the wedding, otherwise packing/unpacking, furniture shopping...it''s just too crazy.

Also, we haven''t taken a honeymoon yet, there was no time to plan one, plus all the money''s been drained by now.
14.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I definitely think it''s doable. Although I''ve been engaged for over a year and the wedding is still close to a year away, I''m a teacher, so we did most of our planning in the past 3 months, and from out of town! The internet has been my best friend, and I found that doing a lot of research up front has been the biggest time saver. I spent hours in the evenings looking at dresses, reception venues, flowers, cakes, etc. so that when I actually made appointments, I knew almost exactly what I wanted. This worked so well because the vendors could all skip their prepared mumbo jumbo and jump right into what it would take to do what I wanted. I was able to get the reception cite, ceremony cite, initial meeting with the priest, dress options narrowed to 3, flowers, dj, bridesmaid dresses, and cake done already!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
You cannot start to soon. I cannot emphasize that enough. You cannot start too soon. I say this from experience, having done most of this stuff in the last two months. Been engaged since June 06 and did not find THE dress until June 2007. Start a scrapbook of everything that looks interesting to you: colors, dresses, flowers, ceremony decor, etc.
It will be invaluable to you and your vendors.

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
It depends on how big/elaborate your wedding will be. I''m having a 4 month engagement (with 5.5 months of planning) and no stress at all so far. But my wedding is easy-peasy, with 22 guests, no bridal party, no registering or big party, etc. You may need a year for a large affair, but it can be done in less time - especially with a smaller wedding.

PS Don''t plan to get your house too close to your wedding day (offer or posession date). My friend put in an offer a week before her wedding, and had to fufill all conditions that week when she really needed to be finishing wedding stuff. She said it was the most stressful time of her life and would never try to do both at the same time again. Just thought I should mention it
1.gif

Mrs DMcD

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys so much for all your advice, I think we''re gonna go ahead and give it all a shot. I better get started on all I have to do! Thanks so much!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results