shape
carat
color
clarity

# of items on registry?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
For those of you who have registered, how many items did you register?

I went to bed bath and beyond and registered there. The consultant told me that when everything is said and done I should have about 200 total items. I am having about 80 people at my wedding and she told me that there have been many instances where people who are attending a wedding come in and there is nothing left to buy on the registry. I thought 200 was way too much! So I was curious how many items you ladies are registered for.

I originally didn't want to do a registry at all but my best friend convinced me to go ahead and do one. I'm not going to lie....I had a TON of fun! I never realized how much stuff there is that I really *DO* want that I do not have! I have 105 items registered and I don't think I'll add anymore to that.

Thoughts?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
This whole registry thing is super stressing me out! I keep wandering around stores, but can't seem to pull the trigger on actually registering.

Anyway.

I've been suggested to do register for 2 items per guest. Do you think you'll have showers? Are some of your items smaller-scale stuff that people would combine into bigger gifts? If so, you probably want to register for more stuff.

Glad to hear you had fun!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry said:
This whole registry thing is super stressing me out! I keep wandering around stores, but can't seem to pull the trigger on actually registering.

Anyway.

I've been suggested to do register for 2 items per guest. Do you think you'll have showers? Are some of your items smaller-scale stuff that people would combine into bigger gifts? If so, you probably want to register for more stuff.

Glad to hear you had fun!

That's exactly what the consultant said. I have A LOT of stuff that is in the 20-50$ range. I am having an engagement party and a bridal shower. A few people who are coming to my engagement party asked me to go and register because they wanted to get me something. Wow. That means I can continue wasting away my time on bed bath and beyonds website finding more cool stuff?! :)!

I promise its fun. You'll find tons of stuff you always *look* at in the store and *want* but didn't want to spend the extra money on.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I registered for about 2-3 more items than the number of invites I sent out. It ended up working out well because I had a surprise work shower. I didn't get everything I wanted, but I just made a few exchanges today. I received about 10 gifts off registry. Half were from the work shower, and half were from wedding guests.

There were a lot of people who chose to buy 2-3 smaller items vs one more expensive item.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Out of the 111 items I registered for there are 13 that are over 50$....three of which I'll probably delete.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
my thoughts? do what feels right for you. register for things you really want/need, not to reach some arbitrary number the sales associate recommends.

personally, we registered at bbb and target. between the two about 75 items on our registry (50 at bbb & 25 at target). we received about 45 gifts off of our registry. we sent out about 100 invitations, and about 50 people attended our wedding. but i knew that in my family, cash is given for weddings, not gifts. and i didn't have a bridal shower because we recently moved far away from our friends & families, so there was no one to throw a shower for me. (i did have a surprise mini-bridal shower with my BFFs once they arrived in town for the wedding.)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you don't have enough, to me (though I did a honeymoon registry, so take this with a grain of salt). With a lot of little items (under $50) most of your guests will end up getting you 2 things, and 80 people will quickly buy up all 105 items, especially if you have a shower. Maybe set up a honeymoon registry on the side if there's nothing else you want to register for? A friend of mine did that for her wedding a few weeks ago. Or you could just leave it as is and if anyone misses out they can just give a check (which many people will do anyway)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the previous poster who said register for what you want and need. Don't do a bunch of filler items that you are luke-warm about just to take up space on your registry.

Of course this is coming from someone who is anti-registry.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in the "register for what you want and need" camp. Lots of people will give $$ - I don't think you need enough gifts for everyone on your guest list.

We actually know we want a new dining room set, so we put that on our registry, hoping it might suggest to people that we could really use $$ for that instead of a new blender (or teapot or whatever).

I also discovered there are some other cool registry ideas out there - there's one for "foodies" that allows you to list restaurants you'd like to dine at (forgot what's it's called). If you like wine, some places have wine registries. Some of these might be interesting alternatives if you don't feel you need a lot of housewares.

If I were you, I would start only with what you want and need. Continue to monitor them, and if you see a lot of your items are purchased early on, start looking for ways to add more options/ideas for people - either by adding more items or finding new stores where you can register.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
Out of the 111 items I registered for there are 13 that are over 50$....three of which I'll probably delete.

Good for you! I am attending a wedding next weekend and the LEAST expensive item on their registry is $46. We are not very close to them at all, so I'm a little peeved that the cheapest option from their registry we have is a $46 set of ceramic salt and pepper shakers. I usually like to get a few smaller items on a registry. Spending almost $50 on one very small thing is not my cup of tea.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies ladies!

I'll keep an eye on the registry and see how it progresses...

I was very anti-registry before I did it so I'm all worried about it in terms of people thinking I'm asking for too much stuff. Are we allowed to post links to our registries here?

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
We have 81 items on our registries, with many of those items at BB&B costing less than $15. We invited a little less than 100 people to our wedding, and look as though we're going to have between 60-70 people (still trying to nail down those last few stragglers!). Of course, nearly 1/3 of those coming to our wedding are children, so take that into account too (so I guess it is nearly 2 items/adult guest). Since nearly everyone will be coming from out-of-town there will be no bridal showers, and we didn't do an engagement party either. If everything starts disappearing and there's virtually no choice then we can always add items later, but right now we're unconcerned.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember said:
Thanks for the replies ladies!

I'll keep an eye on the registry and see how it progresses...

I was very anti-registry before I did it so I'm all worried about it in terms of people thinking I'm asking for too much stuff. Are we allowed to post links to our registries here?

I doubt if we're allowed to post links to our registries, so to err on the side of caution I wouldn't try it.

I don't think 200 items, especially since you're saying that a fair amount of yours fall under the $50 mark, is too many! Did you register for china? I mean, I'm sure you have some "big ticket" items, so I really wouldn't worry, AN. I think I would just keep tabs on what's happening with your registry when you have your bridal shower, and then either ratchet it up a notch or tone it down accordingly. You'll figure it out!

Also (this is totally my opinion), I don't think anyone should feel bad for registering for gifts, and I've felt this way for the past ten years, AFTER I started attending weddings! Before, I had this opinion: "OMG, I can't believe she wants all this sh*t, what a gift grabber!!!"

NOW, I feel like this: "OMG, I'm so glad they registered because it's so much easier to buy them a shower gift, OR I have the choice to buy them something they really want or give them cash/check."

In summary, :naughty: I would like to say that being given the option to buy something the couple REALLY wants, is priceless. We would give cash no matter what, but the opportunity to choose a gift of the couple's liking is a very tempting and typically conducive option.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane said:
Autumnovember said:

Good for you! I am attending a wedding next weekend and the LEAST expensive item on their registry is $46. We are not very close to them at all, so I'm a little peeved that the cheapest option from their registry we have is a $46 set of ceramic salt and pepper shakers. I usually like to get a few smaller items on a registry. Spending almost $50 on one very small thing is not my cup of tea.

Personally, I like the $50 items - I usually spend $100-150 (between myself and DH) and I'd rather get the couple one big nice thing (or two big nice things) than 5 little items. Just something to think about! Everybody purchases differently, so don't think nobody will snap up those $50 items. Now if you said you had some $100+ items, I would say those are maybe a bit high, but $50 isn't high at all.

mrs.anthony2be

Rough_Rock
I dont have any advice, sadly, as the rwgistry thing is keeping me up at night.
We signed up at the bay at a recent bridal show, just so we'd be entered in a draw. We had to go instore to finish. I just about died. We arw very young, very independant and dont like accepting gifts. The price tags astounded us, the bright lights, the high prices, the choices... pretty sure it gave me some gray hairs! So we decided to go wild, not give out that registry info, but just take the 10% discount and treat ourselves to calvin klein bedding, and reidel wine glasses lol

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen said:
sonnyjane said:
Autumnovember said:

Personally, I like the $50 items - I usually spend $100-150 (between myself and DH) and I'd rather get the couple one big nice thing (or two big nice things) than 5 little items. Just something to think about! Everybody purchases differently, so don't think nobody will snap up those $50 items. Now if you said you had some $100+ items, I would say those are maybe a bit high, but $50 isn't high at all.

I can see that for sure, but for this particular wedding, it is a co-worker of my DH, someone I would classify as an acquaintance at best. We don't have that much money, so while I don't mind spending $100-$150 for a close friend, I don't really want to spend more than $50 on someone I have only met once. If it was a $50 big ticket item, I wouldn't mind getting them just one thing, but it really is a $50 salt and pepper shaker, and I feel a little embarrassed getting them just that one item, since it seems so small, KWIM? To each his own, though. I eloped and didn't have a registry so I'm just coming at it from the perspective of a guest :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane said:
Elrohwen said:
sonnyjane said:
Autumnovember said:

I can see that for sure, but for this particular wedding, it is a co-worker of my DH, someone I would classify as an acquaintance at best. We don't have that much money, so while I don't mind spending $100-$150 for a close friend, I don't really want to spend more than $50 on someone I have only met once. If it was a $50 big ticket item, I wouldn't mind getting them just one thing, but it really is a $50 salt and pepper shaker, and I feel a little embarrassed getting them just that one item, since it seems so small, KWIM? To each his own, though. I eloped and didn't have a registry so I'm just coming at it from the perspective of a guest :)

Totally agree in your situation! I just meant for AN's registry, since she was going to remove most of the items over $50, since she thought they were too expensive, I thought maybe she should rethink that as many guests would be likely to buy them. For people that *only* register for items over $50, like the wedding you're going to, I have this to say :rolleyes: Haha.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results