shape
carat
color
clarity

October Honeymoon Destinations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mrs DMcD

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a tropical honeymoon destination that is not in the "hurricane belt"? We are interested in somewhere warm with a good beach, and we''d also love accommodations that have some "huts" or rooms that are more private than a hotel room in a high rise. We originally were thinking Tahiti, but are having to scale back our budget a bit. I''d like to consider Cabo San Lucas, but want to make sure there are some more romantic elements, and not all "spring break" attractions. Any thoughts or good experiences?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
We''re going to Sri Lanka in October.

Think Maldives but WAY cheaper and more do do.

They have some of the best beach resorts in the world. Turtle Hatcheries, baby elephant orphanages, great food, fab hotels and the people are lovely.

Plus it has more gemstones than anywhere else in the world!

There have been a few terrorist problems recently, but I have very close friends in the government there and they have assured me that I have nothing to worry about. Obviously I''m not going to Jaffna, Trincomalee or Yala and we''ll be careful in Colombo - but the rest of the island is pretty safe. I''m as likely to get blown up in London!

Having lived in Belfast at the height of the problems there I''m not even a tiny bit worried!

buttercup80

Shiny_Rock
The Sandals Grande St. Lucia has private huts exactly like you described! I guess it''s technically in the hurricane belt, but our travel agent said we really didn''t need to worry too much about it because October is the end of the season and I did some research that backed her up - there hasn''t been a hurricane there in a long time. We actually originally booked here for OUR October honeymoon.
35.gif
The only thing you need to watch out for is flights - they canceled direct flights out of NY, which ruined our timing, but maybe it will work for you!

We wound up with Excellence Playa Mujeres outside of Cancun, which doesn''t have huts - but our room is a two story suite with a private rooftop terrace! Also not in the middle of the hurricane belt. . .

Finally, my travel abent mentioned Aruba as being one of the only tropical destinations completely outside of the hurricane area.

Good luck!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
If you want to go to the Caribbean in October, the only islands outside of the hurrican belt are the ABC islands: Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. We often go to Aruba in September for Labor Day and we never have to worry about hurricanes or getting hurricane insurance, which is nice!

ETA: Unfortunately Aruba is mostly high-rises on the north side of the island with some low rises just south of that--I haven't found anything with that Tahitian, private over-water-bungalow-type feeling. I'm not sure if Bonaire or Curacao might have something you're looking for?

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
We originally looked at the Caribbean but settled on Bali for almost the same price! We wanted a two week honeymoon and we found that for about a thousand more, we could fly halfway around the world and really see something different!!

Anyways - you could also consider Thailand for an October honeymoon - great beaches, inexpensive once you are there...

Good luck!

ETA: Or, if you want to stay in Mexico, try these:

http://www.lacasaquecanta.com/

http://www.amuleto.net/

http://www.tideszihuatanejo.com/index.html

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
This one''s really tough! Aruba is really a safe bet, but the rest, not so much. We were in Barbados (pretty dang far south) in August a few years back and were on the tail end of a hurricane. Mexico isn''t safe either - Cancun and Cozumel got hit badly by a hurricane in September a couple of years back. Cabo gets hurricanes, but seemingly less of a threat then the Mayan Penninsula.

How about Hawaii??

We''re going on a cruise during October in hurricane season, fully expecting not to make port in most if not all areas. But the ship can cruise around the dodgy bits - I''ve had this happen when I did a southern Caribbean cruise a while back - and we''ll still have a great time. We had contemplated switching to Sandals in St. Lucia or Antigua, but at the end of the day, the hurricane risk was still too great and we wouldn''t have any other options in bad weather.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to mention Bermuda - it''s lovely, not really in the hurricane belt, but also not particularly tropical if that''s important to you.

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
we are going to Aruba for our honeymoon in October....I actually just went there and LOVED IT!!! so I am so excited to go back! The weather there is the same year round and outside the hurricane belt. They get very little rain a year to the point where theres a desert in the middle of the island...its actually kind of cool.

BTW if you do not want to stay in a highrise, a great hotel is the Tamarijn in Aruba. Its a low rise hotel, still close to everything, and steps from the beach. Very quiet and clean and all inclusive. We stayed there recently and really liked the place.

Mrs DMcD

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! I have lots of research to do... all these places look great!

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
You''re smart to be thinking about hurricanes. I would stay away from everywhere in the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico except the very southern part (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao as someone else mentioned). I don''t know where you live, but just an FYI that it can take a surprisingly long time to get to those places. That''s what''s keeping us away. Also, keep in mind that even if you don''t get hit directly by a storm, the rain and wind on the outer edges can still ruin your vacation.
7.gif

It''s not quite as exotic, but Hawaii''s hurricane season tends to be a bit earlier and they are forecasting a light year. Hawaii hasn''t been hit by a big hurricane since Iniki in 1992 which hit Kauai. Really anywhere on the Pacific is worth considering, even Cabo. You might still get a bit of rain from a storm that crosses from the Gulf, but it''s unlikely to be a full-blown hurricane. You have pretty good odds in the Pacific, especially with the forecasted weather patterns for this year. (In my own defense, I work for a company that sells hurricane insurance, I don''t just randomly geek out over hurricane patterns
2.gif
).

I recall that October can be a bit rainy in Southeast Asia, so do your research on climate. Thailand and Bali are both good places that can be relatively cheap once you get there. Fiji also has great resorts, and they are a LOT cheaper than French Polynesia. Hope youfind some place great!
9.gif
10.gif

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
We too are doing our honeymoon in October.

Weather was a big concern of ours too. I really wanted to go to St. Lucia but heard it was just not as good in October =(

We are currently debating between

Tahiti/Moorea

St kitts & Nevis (carribean)

Hawaii

Aruba is also an option, but I have been there before, and FI wanted to go someplace neither of us had frequented. I think Fiji has good weather as well.

Tahiti is perfect, but from what I hear, can get pricey. Hawaii is equally pricey, and almost everyone we know has gone there so we were thinking we might want something different.

Currently, St kitts & Nevis is our front runner. Much cheaper then the other places, we can rent a house out there with private pool for cost of a hotel room. Not very touristy, lots of secluded nice beaches.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results