shape
carat
color
clarity

Mother/son- father/daughter dance during SAME song?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
My father has passed away so if I did any sort of father/daughter dance... it would be split between dancing with my two uncles (who are both walking me down the aisle). Will it be weird if we have all of us (meaning my fiance with his mother and me alternating with my two uncles) dance during the SAME song? My fiance thinks it is weird to dance an entire song with his mother while I stand and watch.

We were going to just do our first dance and skip any other formal dances... but my family says they have NEVER gone to wedding when the father/daughter mother/son dance is skipped.

Opinions on how to handle this? We think it is weird to have our guests stand and watch us dance through three entire songs... but others say these always go by more quickly than we think.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
To answer your main question, I don't think it would be weird to share a song at all. However, I would ask his mom what she thinks. As the mother of the groom, this may be her only special time, so she may have strong feelings about dancing alone or not.

I've actually been to a few weddings in which there were no family dances, ones where only the bride or groom had a parent dance (one instance there was a deceased parent, another it was a contentious divorce, etc.) My good friend danced with her mom and it was adorable! So, to answer what seemed to be a secondary question, there is also no reason why there have to be any traditional parent/family dances at all.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everything Munchkin said. I danced with my father while DH danced with his mom because my dad and I have kind of a strained relationship, so I wasn''t really comfortable with having everyone watching just us through an entire song (probably a good thing since we got in an argument during the dance, but anywho). I would make sure his mom is cool with it though, and make sure whatever track you pick is a neutral song. "A Song For Mama" would be a little weird if you''re up there with your uncles, ya know?
2.gif

les12

Shiny_Rock
We''re actually doing this as well. Couldn''t really think of 2 different songs to dance to so we''ll just be dancing to "What a Wonderful World" together. I think it will work out nicely, and I don''t see any guests thinking that it''s strange. We''ll see!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I danced with my dad while DH danced with his mom during the same song. Worked for us! Neither DH nor I wanted to do the parent dance, but we knew it would mean a lot to our parents, so we combined it into one song. I think we did Moon River.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
In my wedding and all those I went to, the father/daughter dance and mother/son dance were always combined, and other people usually join in after a while, so I don''t see a problem with this at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results