shape
carat
color
clarity

Maui Wedding: Luau Reception?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Well, I finally booked my coordinator/photographer (Paradise Dream Weddings) and our plane tickets, so we are getting married in Maui on May 2!!!

It looks like about 15 family members (mostly his, including 2 children) will be able to join us and I am trying to decide on a reception venue. The wedding is at 10am, so there will be a long wait from it to the dinner....but whatever!

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!!!

Reception option 1- Old Lahaina Luau: -pros: easy, no planning required, just by the tickets and go, entertaining, all will have a good time -cons: too casual, I might feel weird wearing my dress so I think I would have to change and that makes me sad
7.gif

Reception option 2-Dinner at nice restaurant: -pros: definitely can wear dress, more intimate, get to decorate
9.gif
-cons: more planning, not sure if there even is a nice restaurant available that night, children will not be very entertained, will have to decorate

On a tangent, should we plan something for lunch too, since the ceremony and pictures will be done around noon?

Thanks for your opinions and advice
35.gif

jen2M

Rough_Rock
I think both options would be great. I was at the OLL a couple years ago and someone was having their wedding reception there. She was wearing her dress (although it was a tea length dress) and she looked amazing. I don''t think anyone thought it was strange that she was wearing her dress. We all just got to celebrate with the couple and the whole crowd was really into it. I think it made it more of a party for everyone.

Good luck!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2009 11:43:04 AM
Author: jen2M
I think both options would be great. I was at the OLL a couple years ago and someone was having their wedding reception there. She was wearing her dress (although it was a tea length dress) and she looked amazing. I don''t think anyone thought it was strange that she was wearing her dress. We all just got to celebrate with the couple and the whole crowd was really into it. I think it made it more of a party for everyone.

Good luck!

Thanks Jen! I''ve read mixed reviews on tripadvisor, is the food really good? The entertainment, uh, classy (there will be children)?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like option 1 but then I am pretty laid back. I have been to the Old LL and it is beautiful right on the beach. I guess it is what you feel most suites you. When we went to the OLL there were a couple brides and I thought they looked great and no one thought anything more about it but you are right it is a bit casual.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
OLL is gorgeous! The setting is so pretty, you will have lots of great photo ops. They have a time when they can bring you on stage too. THere is plenty of food and its really good. it may be more causal, but its hawaii, so nothing is too formal. I love OLL, that is where we got engaged :)

Good luck and enjoy...May 2 is our wedding day too!!! Oh, and you can''t go wrong no matter where you are in maui! Its lovely there.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Skippy!

FI and I are very laid-back...I''m getting very excited now for this!

OK, just to make sure, this is my dress--do you think it''s appropriate, or too fancy? I do have a second JCrew wedding dress that is more casual, my mom just bought the other one so it''s very special to me.

bambular800000oola.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks mintve, that is very reassuring! (I did see your engagement thread in my search too!)

jen2M

Rough_Rock
The food is good and it is (i think) the best luau in the area, but that being said, it is casual. IE- guys in hawaiian shirts and flip flops and all different walks of life there. It is a tourist attraction so you have to keep that in mind- but it is a really fun party! I guess it just depends on what feeling you want. Do you invision your reception as a big party or smaller, more private gathering. I don''t think you can make a wrong decision-- just follow what feels the most like you and your FI.

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 10:40:57 AM
Author:shimmer
Hi,

Well, I finally booked my coordinator/photographer (Paradise Dream Weddings) and our plane tickets, so we are getting married in Maui on May 2!!!

It looks like about 15 family members (mostly his, including 2 children) will be able to join us and I am trying to decide on a reception venue. The wedding is at 10am, so there will be a long wait from it to the dinner....but whatever!

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!!!

Reception option 1- Old Lahaina Luau: -pros: easy, no planning required, just by the tickets and go, entertaining, all will have a good time -cons: too casual, I might feel weird wearing my dress so I think I would have to change and that makes me sad
7.gif

Reception option 2-Dinner at nice restaurant: -pros: definitely can wear dress, more intimate, get to decorate
9.gif
-cons: more planning, not sure if there even is a nice restaurant available that night, children will not be very entertained, will have to decorate

On a tangent, should we plan something for lunch too, since the ceremony and pictures will be done around noon?

Thanks for your opinions and advice
35.gif

Congrats Shimmer!!!!!
36.gif

We were actually pondering the same dilemma. I''m finishing up booking with APDW as well if I can finally get a hold of Joanne! I''ve been pondering the Luau vs restaurant too. We''re going to go with lunch at a restaurant so we can have photos in the morning and then go and do whatever in the evening. For lunch, we''ve discovered Plantation House, Pacific''O, I''O and Merrimans all offer lunch menu''s. We''ve been pricing all the options to make sure we don''t go overboard AND we''re planning on having a few uninvited guests, so that adds to the cost as well.

Both options being equal in your mind, I would say luau is going to be cost effective AND you don''t have to worry about choosing menus. You don''t have to change out of your dress at all. I say WEAR IT and enjoy it!!!!!! If you budget is pretty open, you can have lunch at one of the restaurants that offer it as well and make it a day thing. Otherwise, Joanne said it''s not an issue if you make people wait until dinner (I''ve asked her this as well).

Btw, Who is your photographer and where are you having the ceremony? We were told Gordon is not available until September (but there are no other weddings during the same time). I guess he is out of town during the summer.
7.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2009 1:08:42 PM
Author: snuggles1

Btw, Who is your photographer and where are you having the ceremony? We were told Gordon is not available until September (but there are no other weddings during the same time). I guess he is out of town during the summer.
7.gif

Hi! Just be patient, Joanne will get back to you! I chose Eric for the photographer (asked for Gordon first) and the ceremony will be at The Cove, Makena. I just love the contrast of the dark rocks, bright blue water and light sand in that location...ahhh, I seriously can''t wait...

I''m so excited for you too! When is your date? I checked out a few of those restaurants, I think I''ll only be able to do one or the other though (I was considering a lunch only too, but then I wanted to wear my dress all day...lol)

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
We did the Old Lahaina Luau because we''d heard it was the best in the area. It was a lot of fun, we met lots of people there, and the setting was beautiful! I didn''t love the food, but I don''t tend to love most buffet-style meals (food''s just not as good when it''s sitting in a chafing dish). It was fine, though. Of course, I don''t eat pork and that''s a big part of the luau thing!

I can show you some of our pictures - the good ones are of us at the luau, but I don''t feel comfortable posting those, so:

LahainaSetup.jpg

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Shimmer, how exciting! I''m trying to plan a Maui wedding too, but for this August instead.

I haven''t been to the OLL but I''ve been to Pacific O'' for dinner and LOVED it. It''s in a great location, right on the sand. When I was there several years ago, I thought that I''d love to have my wedding there.

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
Shimmer, I think the luau is a great idea! You can have a restaurant reception anywhere, but if you''re getting married in Hawaii, I think it''s a great idea to bring in some of the culture! I also think it would be a lot more memorable!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I second OLL! It is SO romantic... and beautiful. It isn''t like the other luaus where you see fire, random hula and etc. This one is really special -- you get an amazing narration of Hawaiian culture and its beauty. It''s gentle and romantic. This one really emphasizes love and romance... It was really touching. The food is pretty good but the experience is what makes it so special.

I think that''s a FAB idea!!!! You can wear your dress! Why not? Just put on a lei!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you all for being so helpful! Thank you for the pictures, TBT!

I think we will do the luau, it does sound really nice and will definitely be memorable
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 11:49:26 AM
Author: shimmer
Date: 1/17/2009 11:43:04 AM

Author: jen2M

Good luck!

Thanks Jen! I''ve read mixed reviews on tripadvisor, is the food really good? The entertainment, uh, classy (there will be children)?
The Old Laha''ina Luau is my FAVORITE!! I love it so much! The entertainment is completely child-friendly, and the show (and setting) is so much nicer than any other luau on the islands (I''m going by my native Hawaiian father-in-law''s reviews here, as I''ve only ever been to two different ones - but the Laha''ina one twice
3.gif
).

Plus, the food is completely DELISH.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
It''s your day sweetie, I say you can wear your dress all day and not have to worry! You are the bride, you can get away with a lot
11.gif
9.gif

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I say wear your dress ALL DAY! No one will care, they''ll just think you''re beautiful and that your dress is to die for. I''ve worn formal dresses to both a waffle house and a wal mart. Yes I got a few stares, but it made for the giddiest and best memories ever!
1.gif

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 1:56:06 PM

7.gif

Hi! Just be patient, Joanne will get back to you! I chose Eric for the photographer (asked for Gordon first) and the ceremony will be at The Cove, Makena. I just love the contrast of the dark rocks, bright blue water and light sand in that location...ahhh, I seriously can''t wait...

I''m so excited for you too! When is your date? I checked out a few of those restaurants, I think I''ll only be able to do one or the other though (I was considering a lunch only too, but then I wanted to wear my dress all day...lol)

The Cove should be beautiful in the morning. The photos on the site really bring out the ocean and the feel of the beach. You''re going to have an awesome time! We''re getting married at the end of July of this year so I guess we have some time. I think Eric is going to be our photographer too. I just didn''t know how common it was!

And, I vote for luau. It should be a fun experience, esp if you guests have never been to one.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/18/2009 4:04:06 AM
Date: 1/17/2009 1:56:06 PM

7.gif

The Cove should be beautiful in the morning. The photos on the site really bring out the ocean and the feel of the beach. You''re going to have an awesome time! We''re getting married at the end of July of this year so I guess we have some time. I think Eric is going to be our photographer too. I just didn''t know how common it was!

And, I vote for luau. It should be a fun experience, esp if you guests have never been to one.

I found a bride on Best Destination Weddings that used Eric too (and went to the OLL for reception), I''m just waiting to get activated as a member to see her photos. I''ll post mine as soon as I get back too!

And thanks everyone else! I just booked my hotel, so just about everything is done
36.gif

sugary

Rough_Rock
I''ve been to the OLL and it was a blast! But there were a few couples celebrating their weddings there so it may deter from your special day somewhat, unless that doe not matter to you. There a a lot of great restaurants in the area so you just have to pick wherther you want a more formal atmospher or more dress down. I love Lahaina Grill, Longhi''s, The Plantation House , Kimo''s(personal favorite). The greatest burger place: Cheeseburger in Paradise! Love the Maui onion rings... Sorry I, have a need for those onion rings.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I think a Luau sounds like a lot of fun! I agree with others that if you''re gonna be in Hawaii, you should bring in some of the culture!

Since you''ll have so much time until dinner, I think I would plan some kind of lunch if it''s in your budget. And if you''re afraid that the Luau might not be formal enough or have good enough food, maybe you could do kind of a fancier lunch? Then guests will get the experience of a nice restaurant as well as a fun luau. Just a thought.

Oh, and you can absolutely wear your dress all day. Brides can get away with anything! People will just think about how pretty you look and not about whether your dress is out of place or not (because, really, wedding dresses aren''t out of place anywhere these days
2.gif
)

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sugary and Elrohwen, thank you very much for your replies. Everyone has helped so much, I can''t tell you how appreciative I am!

Those onion rings sound delish! Maybe we''ll go there for lunch...no ketchup or mustard allowed though
2.gif
Actually, a formal lunch would be a nice balance!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results