shape
carat
color
clarity

Mara & Greg''s Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay to follow in the spirit that DG created when she posted all of her stuff in one post...here is my somewhat condensed wedding post.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The invitations from www.mypersonalartist.com. I am discussing this same invitation with the owner, Michelle, but as a DIY...which will be about 50% cheaper...whew. I love this invitation and will use the same script and everything. I think that it is the perfect blend of casual Hawaii with the elegance of the event, which is still a wedding.

1.gif

tropical breeze invitations.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The wedding dress. It looks WAY better on me...this bride looks pregnant or something!
1.gif

Description from Rena Koh website:

A simple slip dress in chiffon over charmeuse with asymmetrical beading throughout the bodice and train.

pilar.jpeg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The dress on me from a side/back view...see...much better!
1.gif
Love the slight beading on the train!

maradress.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The leading contenders in terms of jewelry....white gold and diamonds...love the set..but it's a little pricey at about $800. Am working on Greg.
2.gif

marabridalsetjewelry.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cake will be a mix of these two...there will be none of the side waves of beading, but there will be the same small frosting pearl beads on the bottom of each tier, very classic. The flowers will be a mix of white dendrobiums, purple & white dendrobiums, with the green cymbidiums scattered on top as well. The flowers will match the brides and BM bouquets and overall color scheme. Cake is two tier...with top tier being pineapple cream and butter cake (YUM) and the larger lower layer being Greg's favorite triple chocolate.
1.gif

cakeoptions.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
A collage of some types of decor we are using for the wedding.

The left are the napkins we will have on the tables, with dendrobiums instead of phal orchids. I love the little nametag tied with ribbon.

We will also be doing white dendrobiums in the drinks as pictured...except this picture is a phal and not a dendrobium orchid.

We are using the Japanese paper lanterns to string around...we are not sure if we are having a tent yet, I love the idea of just dining under the stars on the grass, but the big house will have these strung along the eaves, and also in the trees that flank the grassy area as well.

The table centerpieces are going to be these large glass hurricanes, but filled with loose sprays of white dendrobium orchids. The small hurricanes will hold small votive candles, about 4-5 for each table. Each table will also have scattered orchids on it...purple & white. Orchids will also be scattered on the grass amongst the tables. Small hurricanes will be on the cake table with candles, and placed around the bathrooms, etc.

Small white Christmas lights may be used in conjunction with the paper lanterns, but have to see it first to see if its even necessary.

decorwedding.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The bouquet I have asked the florist to replicate but I want mine to be bigger. This bouquet will essentially be the 'theme' in terms of colors for flowers. Lots of white and purples with green peppered here and there. The green cyms are expensive!
1.gif
The BM's will most likely carry all white orchids or similar...and I will carry this bouquet. I think it should look fabulous with my dress, esp since the girl in this picture has a similar simple gown.

Love the purple ribbon. If the gals get that rose/mauve BM gown, this ribbon will look great on their bouquets as well with their white orchids.

marabouquet.jpeg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our wedding rings, or similar anyway. Mine will be similar to this, eternity style....02c all the way around.

Greg's will be a tension set titanium with gold inlay....using the .38c ACA pictured. The ring will be custom made to fit the stone, and will be about 3mm deep, so somewhere in between the two pictures (one is a flat stone, one is more deep; also one is rose gold and one is yellow)...
1.gif
Should be lovely in person! We can have it tapered down more towards his fingers so that it's not sooo thick. We'll see.

weddingringsmaragreg.jpg

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
Good ideas Mara...

That model who is wearing your dress not only looks pregnant, she looks like she has a black eye or something. It's probably just a shadow hitting her eye at the wrong angle, but she looks haggard! Looks much better on you.

Now, are you having that jeweler make your ring? I seem to remember you being mad at some jeweler who didn't do what you wanted with your regent necklace. Just curious whether you are having someone online making it, or going to that jeweler you went to for your e-ring.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Palm trees on the invitation.
1.gif
A girl after my own heart. Well Mara I guess I am bias because I live here and have to say those palm trees add something real nice to it.

You must be very excited! I'm happy for you. You've got nice taste in what you've chosen so far.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
KM..the funniest thing is that I have never been a fan of palm trees on things like invitations.

Literally about 3-4 months ago I was surfing this same site and saw some of Michelle's designs and remember thinking...who would put cheesy palm trees on a Hawaii wedding invite. That's SOO cliche. I wanted the hibiscus or something (hehe like that's really any better).

Anyway, then I was re-surfing the site a few weeks back and saw some of the palm tree stuff (probably some of the same stuff I saw before) and just thought, oh those are amazing!! Then I saw the ones that I am currently hot on (the ones I posted) and loved that they had both the palm tree and the scripted font and some 'elegance' to the presentation. So I was in love. Still am.

So what changed? How did I go from 'palm trees are cheesy' to 'I adore that'? I think I must be mentally impaired or something. Anyway, I showed it to my MOH and she doesn't like the color...would rather see a palm tree in gold or something. But I love the colors actually, part of what draws me to this set.

So who really knows! But I recall clearly what I was thinking THEN and what I think NOW...so different. I am just hoping I don't get these ones I love and then send them out and have 90% of the people think...'Palm trees are sooo cheesy and cliche for a Hawaii wedding!' Not like I would ever know since I'm sure they'd never say anything to me...hee hee.

OH WELL!
10.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised I like the invitations. I'm a more Crane engraved traditional girl; but, your's are really refreshing.

Look really pretty so far, Mara.

As for the "Antique" 800.00 jewelry. That look can be had in Period sterling w/ some pretty marcasites or austrian crytals for around $50.00. You have your something "old" already and the craftsmanship will probably be superior. Ebay is a great place for that kind of thing in the vintage costume or vintage sterling catagory. Just thinking outside of that box for you - and save the $800 for that new diamond purchase.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Mara! Looking thru the pics, hearing the descriptions, I hear waves gently cascading onto the shore as a hint of salt water wafts through the air.... Ahhhh....
2.gif

The cake sounds too devine!! Yummmm. You are gonna be hard pressed to save a crumb, let alone the top, for your 1 year anniversary. I'll bet the guests will absolutely devour it!!
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're not doing the 'save the top' thing for 1 year anniversary. I have heard the cake never tastes the same, no matter how well you try to preserve it, and eating stale cake to celebrate our 1 year is not my kind of thing.
2.gif

So we're doing what is becoming more popular now, which is having a small top 'replicated' from our original cake and look and eating it fresh! We may be able to come to Hawaii for 1 year...that would be fun...then we could have Suzi make the anni. cake as well. We'll have to see.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/1/2004 1:03:56 PM Mara wrote:

We're not doing the 'save the top' thing for 1 year anniversary. I have heard the cake never tastes the same, no matter how well you try to preserve it, and eating stale cake to celebrate our 1 year is not my kind of thing.
2.gif

So we're doing what is becoming more popular now, which is having a small top 'replicated' from our original cake and look and eating it fresh! We may be able to come to Hawaii for 1 year...that would be fun...then we could have Suzi make the anni. cake as well. We'll have to see.
1.gif

----------------

My own personal experience was that way, Mara. We had a fantastic, moist, triple chocolate cake with creamy, rich buttercream frosting. Very yummy at the wedding. Not so after a year in the freezer. Words can't describe the taste or the texture. I remember thinking at the time, "Who's idea was this tradition??"
14.gif

Having a fresh, replica is a great idea. Wish someone had thought of it 20+ years ago!!
3.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh Mara, I'm so glad you got over your palm-trees-are-cheesy fit.
cry.gif
I still think your guests will be excited about the invitation. Of course, I am partial to palm trees.
9.gif

Are you having a big wedding? I attended a wedding of a dear friend at the Hyatt Regency Kauai years ago. I was surprised at how many of her family and friends were able to attend, as most of them were from Chicago and the east coast. That was quite a long way to travel for a wedding. But it sure was beautiful. Which property is yours on again? I know you mentioned in a previous thread...sorry but I don't recall. Looks like all your details are coming together nicely.
1.gif
It's so cool that we get to see you through this process.

I think the idea to re-create the cake top is nice. I did it the traditional way (in fact our anniversary was spent at the H.R. Kauai) and I have to admit, we were more good sports about it than anything, trying to really stick with the tradition and all.
rolleyes.gif
We drank lots of champagne to wash it down.
14.gif
I like your idea much better.

bof

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/26/2004 6:30:31 PM Mara wrote:

Our wedding rings, or similar anyway. Mine will be similar to this, eternity style....02c all the way around.

Greg's will be a tension set titanium with gold inlay....using the .38c ACA pictured. The ring will be custom made to fit the stone, and will be about 3mm deep, so somewhere in between the two pictures (one is a flat stone, one is more deep; also one is rose gold and one is yellow)...
1.gif
Should be lovely in person! We can have it tapered down more towards his fingers so that it's not sooo thick. We'll see.

----------------

i sure hope that ring looks better in person than it does in this picture. is your husband to be okay with wearing that ring for the rest of his life??? I have seen some odd wedding bands but that ring is indeed one strange bird. just my thoughts i guess, it isn't as if i have to wear the thing.

bof

Beansy

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

Even though I'm not engaged, yet, I am trying to put together ideas for my dream wedding. It's funny, I used to be so anti-girly stuff (I guess like Phoebe on Friends), but then it hit me like a ton of bricks. It has been so much fun finding ideas for weddings. I thought I'd check out the bride forum here, and saw your post.

I really enjoyed looking at your folder. You have such classic tastes, and I have always enjoyed reading your comments on PS. It's funny listening to you change your mind on even your own dream ring, and I have really realated to that as my tastes have definately evolved over time.

I checked out the Rena Koh website, and found one that reminds me of the Badgley Mischka that I could never in my wildest dreams afford. It is "Kimberly." I would love to have a strapless, or spagetti strap like most brides, but alas, I have inherited the larger arms that make my Nebraskan family stand out. It's all those darn cow tosses we do. :)

Anyway, even though I don't know you personally, you have helped me many times, and I am so beyond excited for you. You looked truely beautiful in your dress. Jealous of your arms. Ha Ha.

Keep us posted.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks beansy!! It is interesting to watch my own tastes change over time...look at what I said about the palm trees and invites!

Which BTW I got the blank invites (with artwork) today and they are lovely! I am playing around with the final contenders in terms of fonts and blends, etc. I also got the name of the font that she was using and had my friend at Adobe send it to me, so I can replicate hers *exactly* if I want to but I may have found a better blend that is a bit more 'cool' looking. Now I just have to start printing!

BOF...obviously we wouldn't want the ring if we felt it looked 'odd'. We tried something on that was very similar in a jewelry store in Monterey and it's beautiful on. Those are side views so you have no idea what it looks like from top down. We are going into another store this weekend to confirm that he likes that gold/titanium blend, and also check on the 'depth' and what feels comfortable. In the end, it may not be a typical wedding ring, but that is never what we were going for in the first place. He would love a conversation piece, which this ring will definitely be!
1.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,
I love everything you're planning. Absolutely eveything. I'm sooo jealous that your ideas are so perfect. I hope everything goes as perfect as all your decisions look and I can't wait to hear how it all unfolded like a fairytale when you return from the big celebration.

jackieblue

Rough_Rock
Everything is beautiful so far! I can't wait to hear more and see the actual photos.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!! The wedding is only 2.5 months away...YIKES. My To-Do list is very scary.

I am in the midst of the invitations, have about half printed so far. They are turning out really lovely!!! I'm excited.
1.gif
Need to get them out by next weekend though we pretty much already know who is coming since everyone's travel is already booked, this is just a formality.

Jewels update..am thinking something more like chandelier pearls but haven't made up my mind yet...see my other post on bridal jewelry help!!
sick.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just a quick Hi Mara..

Reading your post as your time nears the wedding date I am getting excited for the both of you..Planning can be stressfull, but it seems it can also add more excitement and fun..
21.gif

tessa

Shiny_Rock
I've been married 29 years in two weeks and I STILL love to look at wedding stuff, bridal magazines, etc etc.

When my daughter was young I had a few thrift shop wedding gowns and headpieces just for playing dress-up.
I hope I haven't ruined her!

Your plans look great and congratulations!
What is the exact date?

PS I can't get the pic of you in the dress to load.

tessa

Shiny_Rock
I just got the pic of you and the dress does look fabulous on!
9.gif

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
Mara, where are you getting your eternity band from?

It's really pretty, I was thinking of something similiar for my wedding band if we decide to go with something besides Tacori.

Thanks,

-Summer

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tess my date is May 12
1.gif
A Wednesday!

PG...that isnt the actual wedding band, but it is similar to that (except mine is 4 prong and not shared). I am having WhiteFlash custom make it to match my e-ring...so I am sending my poor little e-ring to them in March for them to match it up. Scary!!
2.gif
But that picture is from....hmmm...I don't recall offhand but I found it on the DeBeers website in 'eternity rings' or 'wedding rings' or something, they showcase their designers and their work so you can see alot of different styles there. They have links to their websites and stuff. Good place to virtually shop around.
1.gif
www.adiamondisforever.com

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck on your wedding day Mara. You look stunning in your wedding dress.

I like the idea of a diamond set wedding band, but have found the prong set ones a little bulky and don't like the look of the channel set bands. I've gone for this style - it's a little different and I hope will be smoother on the finger.

.30 white gold eternity.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice ring Bagpuss...I have gotten used to the prong set from my e-ring...and hope the w-ring will be thinner...so I think I'll get used to the new ring soon as well. I mean...who doesn't love more diamonds on their finger? hehee.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results