shape
carat
color
clarity

Makeup "trial"... Suggestions, improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies-

I''m planning on doing my own makeup for the wedding. I''ve tried to do a mock-up a few times, but can''t ever gauge how it photographs because, well, I don''t have a "professional" camera.

Soooo, I did my "wedding" makeup for my boudoir shoot this past weekend, and the photog sent me one preview pick this evening. What do you think? Sorry it''s not a perfect face shot
28.gif
, but I think you can see most things (eyes, lips, cheeks). I don''t want to look like a drag queen, but don''t want to look like my everyday self. My goal is the, "She''s clearly wearing makeup but it is tastefully applied and not overdone" look
3.gif
But what looks gaudy in the mirror sometimes looks normal on film. My worry is that I look TOO plain here. Do you think I need to be a bit more heavy-handed? More blush or more eyeliner? I didn''t really line under my eyes- just used mascara.

Makeup gurus- fire away!

makeupphoto.jpg

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a cute picture! I think your make-up looks perfect as is. I'm usually the one suggesting going heavier, but what you have is just the right amount. Love the blush and the soft colour of your lips. The only one thing I would recommend are fake lashes. Not the entire strip, but just a few. I used them for my wedding and they really made my eyes pop!

I also wouldn't suggest adding liner under the eyes. You're going to want to look fresh for 12+ hours, the liner will smudge and look messy.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
I think you look STUNNING!! Fresh faced, natural, yet refined. Can you please come and do my makeup! Seriously, you did a fabulous job. If I could do mine that way, no way would I pay to have someone else do it!

If you do want a little more "oomph" I think a few fake eyelashes as Kama_s suggested would look great. But I think your eyes look just gorgeous as is too!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
You are too pretty, Pilsn! Your makeup is def. not overdone. It's lovely and perfect for a wedding. I'm so envious of people who can make themselves look like supermodels in the makeup department
21.gif

I do agree with Kama about the fake lashes. I think it'd be the perfect finishing touch!
and if you are going to line your bottom lash, only do from the outer corner to the halfway point (parallel to your pupil).. if you line all the way it may "close" your eyes, visually speaking.

My fav. eyeliner trick? I line my lower lashes (well, right above the lash) with white eyeliner. It makes your eyes pop! Especially if you're tired or something. My friends freak when they see me do it because a lot of them can't get that close to their eye with sharp things but I love the way it looks!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the tips and input, all! I promise my makeup application isn''t flawless: that''s what Photoshop is for!! :)

Kama: I''m going to sound like a dunce asking this... But... Do you apply single lashes with the same glue as you do regular strip lashes?? I feel like it would be hard to get them to stick- is there an obvious base to the lash that makes application easier? Do you just apply one every few lashes?

Any fave waterproof eyeliner brands?? My eyeliners are always smudgy- I need to find something that''ll stay put.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
PERFECTION! I think it looks absolutely gorgeous! You have that natural glow and beauty without looking over done. I wouldn''t add a thing!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
You look Perfect!!!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
You really do look perfect! So fresh and beautiful, I wouldn''t change a thing!!!!

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
You are so gorgeous.. I can''t fault a thing!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
gorgeous lady!!!!!!!!! you did a really great job! i ditto kama-fake lashes will give you a little more va voom without looking smudgy or heavy.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
You look absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely PERFECT makeup!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think you look cute. The makeup looks perfect...just a bit more than everyday but not too much.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you kidding?

What the heck could we improve on?!

You look stunning! Bravo, lady!
36.gif

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
You look awesome! I am so jealous of your makeup talents because I have NONE! Like a few pp''s said, I would consider some fakey lashes just to make your eyes really pop.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2009 1:03:21 AM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom

Any fave waterproof eyeliner brands?? My eyeliners are always smudgy- I need to find something that''ll stay put.

First off, you look FABULOUS! You did an excellent job on the makeup, and it''ll be perfect for your big day!

As far as the eyeliner goes, I don''t know about waterproof brands, but you can always line your eyes with the one you''ve got, and then set it by using an eyeliner brush to layer on a line of eyeshadow in the same color as your liner directly over top of the liner. It''s just as bold, but it''ll help prevent the smudgies!

luvbug

Shiny_Rock
Nice job! I think the makeup looks great!
I agree about a few fake lashes. You use the same glue, I usually apply them more towards the outer edge of the eye to get that doe-eyed look

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/6/2009 1:03:21 AM
Thanks for the tips and input, all! I promise my makeup application isn't flawless: that's what Photoshop is for!! :)

Kama: I'm going to sound like a dunce asking this... But... Do you apply single lashes with the same glue as you do regular strip lashes?? I feel like it would be hard to get them to stick- is there an obvious base to the lash that makes application easier? Do you just apply one every few lashes?

Any fave waterproof eyeliner brands?? My eyeliners are always smudgy- I need to find something that'll stay put.
Same glue. And just a few towards the outer end of your eyes. Use tweezers to position them.

For eyeliner, I LOVE M.A.C.'s technakohl mechanical pencil liner in graphblack. It's waterproof and stays on all day. I don't have any suggestions for waterproof liquid liner, but I just set it with black eye-shadow powder over the liner using a slightly damp angled brush.

ETA: Are you certain it's your eyeliner that smudges and not your mascara? For months my girlfriend has been complaining about her eyeliner smudging and she uses the MAC pencil too. I kept telling her it must be her mascara. She never took my word for it until last week when I went over to do her make-up for her TV audition. I experimented and turns out it was the mascara after all!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
5.gif
Thanks for the sweet words, guys! You made me blush!! I''ve always loved playing around with makeup, but sometimes the way *I* perceive my look is vastly different from the outside world. I appreciate the confidence boost in my makeup-applying skills.

Kama: Thanks for the lashes tip. I''ll have to pick some up at Sephora and start playing around now, so I can get used to applying ''em. And it may be my mascara. I''m wearing cheapo drugstore stuff now, and it''s not waterproof. Hmmm...

vc10um: Thanks for the advice, lady! Do you dampen your shadow when you apply it over your eyeliner or leave it in its dry/powdery form?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so impressed you did your make up yourself! You look gorgeous and I think the make up is perfect.

I never wear eye liner, but my make up artist (she works at my local MAC store) put it on me for my wedding and it stayed on all night. She used primer on my eyes, which I think made a BIG difference, because on the rare occasion I put make up on myself it never lasts.

I didn''t touch up my eye make up (or any of my make up, for that matter) all night and it still looked fantastic at the end of the night. She used the kind that comes in a little pot and you put it on with a brush. Okay, I looked it up and I''m pretty sure it''s the Fluidline.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/6/2009 9:41:48 PM

Kama: Thanks for the lashes tip. I''ll have to pick some up at Sephora and start playing around now, so I can get used to applying ''em. And it may be my mascara. I''m wearing cheapo drugstore stuff now, and it''s not waterproof. Hmmm...
Girl, you need waterproof mascara for your wedding! Trust me! I didn''t think I would need any, because I''m so not a crier. Well, whatdya know?! I balled my eyes out! Thankfully my MUA talked me into this waterproof mascara business or I''d be possum-eyed!

Also, forgot to mention earlier, you are absolutely gorgeous! Love your radiant smile
1.gif

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
You look sssooo cute!!! You''ll look great!
36.gif

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
you look beautiful & i think it will be wonderful for photos on your wedding day!

ozsparkle

Shiny_Rock
you are so naturally beautiful and your make up accents that wonderfully!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
You look perfect PPM!

I have a suggestion for the mascara. This weekend I shed so many tears at my friend''s wedding but didn''t smudge my mascara one bit because I was wearing L''Oreal Double Extand Beauty Tubes. I wore something similar (but much more expensive) for my wedding. The stuff is amazing. The mascara forms little tubes on your lashes that you can wet with warm water and pull off after the night is over but they didn''t budge through the years. Definitely worth the $11 I paid at CVS for it. I love how you don''t need to use gobs of make up remover to get them off but they stay put well enough to fight through the tears.

L''Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pretty much agree with everyone here - it couldn''t get a whole lot better than this - you look beautiful!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Missed this one before (don''t check BWW enough anymore!), but I just wanted to tell you that you look gorgeous, lady! I am so impressed you did your makeup yourself.

I think that if you decide you want to have your eyes look a bit more dramatic, you should run over to Sephora and try out the Urban Decay eye liners. I used one in Bourbon to line the top of my eyelid for my wedding (always do black on the inner rims, as you have probably noticed). They stay really well and are super-easy to put on. Can''t tell from the photo if you''re wearing eyeshadow, but if you want a really pretty natural one, Urban Decay has a dark taupe-y color that I liked a lot.

A few fake eyelashes would look awesome, too! My friend did this for her wedding this July, and her eyes looked huge and beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results