shape
carat
color
clarity

Makeup Trial disaster! what now?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All
Ok, so this weekend I had my makeup trial on saturday. I was recommended this lady from my wedding coordinator at our reception site. She came to my home and was very nice, we got along great and I was so excited for her to do my makeup and potentially my girls makeup too. I sent her pictures of me when i go to weddings so she could see what how I like my makeup when I "get done up" - I also showed her some pics of me with my daily makeup on, just mascara and lipstick.
I explained what I like and dont like and how i want a natural look.
I told her the colors I use and everything.
So she worked on me, we chatted and it was great, UNTIL i went to go look in the mirror. IT WAS AWEFUL! sooo bad.
she had dark dark eye shadow on my lids from my lashes to about the mid point of my lid. the lipstick was wrong and made my lips look so thin, AND she pencilled in my eyes in BLACK and they look so thick, goofy and fake!
i am a red head with freckles!
LOL
i do pencil mine in sometimes and i told her this, a nude color pencil. So, I told her the eyes were wong and i explained what I do and what i want differently.
We went back to the kitchen and she worked on me again, and `1/2 hr later = i went to look and again it was AWEFUL!
I am REALLY bad at dealing with people and didn''t have the heart to tell her how bad it was. I KNOW I KNOW.

I was originally just going to do my makeup myself until a friend told me i should really have it done, its my wedding, i should slurge and have it professionally done, just for once.
Now, here''s my questions for you:

1) should i just do it myself as i know i can do it right? although - i am concerned about it lasting all day
2) should i try to find another makeup person?
3) Should this have happened?
I thought hiring a professional makeup artist would mean it would ALWAYS come out great! - but maybe im wrong?

Any thoughts, input, suggestions would be appreciated.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
personally i think you should do it yourself
im doing my own and have been experimenting with long lasting brands
something you could use is a primer (which i recently discovered)
i use it on my face and my eyes and it keeps everything on all day!!
i got mine at ulta, the lady who does wedding makeup there recommended it to me and i definitely give it a thumbs up
i have a thread around here somewhere with the full review

meresal

Ideal_Rock
If you are comfortable doing it yourself, then I would just go with that. Maybe google some tips from make-up professionals, about special foundations, or sprays that you can apply to help the long-lasting affect.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Meresal and Smurfy.
I am considering doing it myself (as originally planned) = i DO want to learn more about primer and what kind is good to use.
I have heard it helps.

Smurfy let me know if you find that thread.

Does anyone else use primer? if yes what kind?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 2:21:57 PM
Author: iloveprincesscuts
Thanks Meresal and Smurfy.
I am considering doing it myself (as originally planned) = i DO want to learn more about primer and what kind is good to use.
I have heard it helps.

Smurfy let me know if you find that thread.

Does anyone else use primer? if yes what kind?
I use the MAC primer for my eyelids, and it is amazing!! Lasts all day.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh. I''m so sorry you had a bad trial - I had my own disastrous (expensive) one a few weeks ago, so I definitely feel for you.

My opinion - yes, it''s nice to feel pampered by hiring a pro on your wedding day. No, it''s not worth it if you feel anything less than spectacularly beautiful. And no, not all "pros," even the really, really expensive ones, with tons of rave reviews, will do a better job on you than yourself. Personally, I wanted to hire someone, but after the first gal, I was quite hesitant. I had one more trial set up with a girl at a Shu Uemura counter. She was AMAZING. I was only charged for the eyelashes she applied, and some lipgloss I purchased for touch-ups the day of. She really listened to what I had to say, made some suggestions herself, and never made me feel intimidated about asking for changes/tweaks. If she hadn''t worked out, I definitely would have done my own make-up.

In case you decide to do your own - I saw these bridal tips on a website (Taylor Pham - Thi Cosmetics). While they''re geared towards Asian brides, I think most of them will work for anyone:

1 - Use Primer and a makeup fixer to set your makeup. Avoid creams which are likely to smear.
2 - A silicone based cream foundation covers better than liquid and lasts eight hours. Use a kleenex to lightly press into the foundation before you powder. This removes oil, making it last longer.
3 - If you have oily skin, before foundation apply an oil control lotion to the T-zone. Use blotting papers instead of powder to touch up.
4 - For timeless but natural and noticeable makeup, try pinks, peaches, taupes and soft greys.
5 - False eyelashes enhance the eyes without much shadow.
6 - To make eye shadow last throughout the day, use a base cream eye shadow.
7 - Highlight features with a soft shimmer shadow on the brow bone and inner corners of eyes and above cheekbones.
8 - Use Evian spray to mist the face throughout the day to keep the skin looking and feeling fresh.
9 - To make lipstick last all day use foundation or concealer before applying the color.
10 - For dramatic evening eyes, go smoky. Smoke the rims of the eyes and soften it with a lighter color.
11 - Lip gloss and mascara.

palomablancabride

Rough_Rock
I had three makeup trials before I found the "one." It was a frustrating process! Luckily the third trial was a charm! I am glad I did hire a professional; I wouldn''t have wanted the stress of doing my own makeup on the wedding day.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
OMG 3 trials before you found the one! yikes!
the killer for me is we are on a very tight budget, VERY TIGHT especially now as the wedding is getting closer and we are paying way more than we had hoped for things.
The trial was $50 and thats cheap. I dont have the extra cash to keep doing trials in hopes to find someone good.
ughhhhhhhhhhhh -
but on the other hand, I DONT KNOW! maybe i should just buy a good bottle of primer.
im looking at sephora right now, looks like smashbox and laura mercier are two big names.

this stinks! who knew hiring a professional makeup artist would be like this.

what are you all doing?/

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Something to consider:

If you go to a Sephora or MAC store to replenish your cosmetics, buy primer, new foundation, powder, eye shadow, mascara, etc (as its pretty well known that "good" make up lasts longer and wears better than drugstore stuff... plus its usually better for your skin), youre likely to spend an easy $200, if not more. Granted, you''ll have the products after-the-fact... but it''s something to think about. A trial and makeup application should cost around half of that, and while you won''t have all the products to use for the rest of the year, in the short-term you''ll be saving money.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
maybe look into a store that sells cosmetics...We have one in Atlanta called Woo, they have another store somewhere else. They carry bobbi brown, trish mcevoy, Laura mercer, stilla, and maybe one or two other brands. Getting your make-up done there is only $50, if they come to you on your wedding day $300. I haven''t had my make-up done there, but I was in there getting an eyebrow wax and a couple of people were and it seemed like they were doing a great job. Maybe see if there is someplace like that near you. Or your hairstylists may be able to suggest someone, and they might know your style better, since they do your hair regularly. Just a few thoughts!!! good luck!!!

also, bobbi brown makes long lasting creme shadow. I use a color navajo as a primer all over my eye and it really keeps my shadow from creasing!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I admit I'm not a BIW (yet), but I wanted to jump in anyway because it's a topic I've been thinking about recently as I'm pre-planning
2.gif
. I think you should do your own make-up, with maybe just a couple of additional products like a primer. To be quite honest, I've been to a few weddings recently where I thought the brides looked better the way I usually see them, when they do their own make-up, than on their wedding day with professional make-up and hair. So since you have your own make-up ideas and want to save $ anyway, why not practice a few times and then do it yourself day of?

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
Here's what I've found, and this is just coming from me. My sister did my makeup for my wedding, and it was fabulous. But it was only fabulous because she knows exactly what I like.

First of all, look at the person recommending your artist. Do they have makeup on that is similar to your style? Look at the makeup artist, too. If their personal makeup isn't your taste, then the makeup they do for you probably won't be, either. Even professionals tend to lean toward a specific style, and it's almost always the one they use on their own face. Anyone who recommends them will also be the type that leans that way.

For example, my sister and I LOVE dramatic eyes. Her everyday look has gorgeous, long black lashes, soft eyeshadow, a natural lip color and just a touch of blush. So what did I get for my wedding? You got it - nice dramatic eyes, soft shadow, soft lips and soft cheeks. [Also, she specializes in SUPER SMOOTH, FLAWLESS foundation... and you better believe mine was!] You can see in two different pictures, actually, one from Prom and one from my wedding (both with my sister doing my makeup) that she sticks to a style:

[Link removed by moderator] See forum policies.

So next time, just go talk to a few artists - you don't have to commit to anything - and explain what you're looking for and just observe their makeup and if they have any clients they're working on.

If you still can't find anyone, then try on your own.

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
Hi iloveprincesscuts,
I would definitely consider doing it yourself because at least you would know nothing could go wrong. I also use primer (Napolean Perdis) when going out at night/ special occasions etc . If you want to see how it could effect your look, go to a major department store and let the cosmetic customer service ladies, try it out on you. I would have never considered using a primer , until I had a moment to spare and let one of the cosmetic ladies do a quick make over on me. Hoping all goes well on your beauty quest.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
What about finding someone who uses products that you love? My makeup was applied at a salon that uses Bare Escentuals, and I''ve never felt prettier. Since BE is almost all loose powders, the looks tend to be really soft and dewy. The person doing my makeup just played up my natural colors and didn''t try anything "fun" or "different."

I''m really confident doing my own makeup, but I knew I''d be too nervous and I also wanted my foundation to be PERFECT and not influenced by shadows I couldn''t see/lighting/etc. I know those trials are expensive (mine didn''t have a trial price, so I paid $75 for the practice and $75 on the day of the wedding) but it''s worth it to find someone who works for you.

ALSO - since you''re a redhead, maybe I''d try to find someone with the same coloring as you. I''ve found that with things like hair and makeup, I always have a much better experience with someone who has my same coloring or in the case of hair, hair texture.

bootsiekin

Shiny_Rock
From one freckled red head to another
2.gif

I did a make up trial at MAC and I thought I looked like a clown afterwards - dark eyeshadow, dark lipstick..ugg

I ended up doing my own make up..after much searching on the internet for make up for redheads (I really wanted an eyeshadow some other color than brown which is what I use every day). I ended up using an eggplant colored eyeshadow which worked well (I have blue eyes and blue accents on my dress). I went to Ulta and tried some different make up there (I don''t usually use foundation, and I got bare minerals after trying a few out). I did use black mascara at Ulta''s suggestion, though I usually use dark brown, it worked well with the "purple" eyeshadow. I was happy with how it turned out - so for me doing my own make up was fine. Especially since DH told me, "I dont want you to look like a different person!" I just went a little darker on the eyes and blush than I normally would, and in the pictures it looked fine. I don''t think a lot of people are familiar on what to do on people with our coloration
20.gif

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input, I think im going to look into getting a good primer and some good products and just do it myself.
As you are all right, if i do it myself i KNOW it will come out exactly as i want it.
I have til july so i can start practicing now.
THANKS EVERYONE!
35.gif

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Smurfy
Thanks so much for linking your thread, lots of great stuff on there.
I especially LOVE LOVE the link mimzy put up of BeckaOfSweden''s youtube videos
WOW
Im going to try to do that look. The golden bronze look, I LOVE IT!

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
wooops., it was Musey that put up the BeckaofSweden info. Not mimzy, my bad., sorry girls

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Glad you''re feeling confident about trying it on your own - ditto to the person who suggested getting it done at a makeup counter as being a good way to try products. Laura Mercier is a great brand, and if you can go to a counter at an "off" hour (i.e. not 2pm on Saturday when they are crowded) they are usually fine to do your makeup and give advice for free, and you may find products you love.

One other piece of advice would be to seek out those who have coloring similar to yours for these mini-trials - sometimes they have to have the same challenges to really understand.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 9:22:02 AM
wooops., it was Musey that put up the BeckaofSweden info. Not mimzy, my bad., sorry girls
No worries, happens ALL the time!
35.gif

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Musey
I hope you read this, did you use that utube video for your makeup at the wedding?
if yes, may i ask what products and colors you used? i loved how it came out on the video.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you know that you can do it yourself properly then do it yourself. I''d love to be able to do mine but unfortunately my make-up applying skills are brutal.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 1:43:19 PM
Author:iloveprincesscuts
1) should i just do it myself as i know i can do it right? although - i am concerned about it lasting all day

2) should i try to find another makeup person?

3) Should this have happened?

I thought hiring a professional makeup artist would mean it would ALWAYS come out great! - but maybe im wrong?

Any thoughts, input, suggestions would be appreciated.
A makeup artist is just like any other ''professional'' - some are great, and some are not. Even beyond that, some are great with certain facial structures and not with others. There are some stellar makeup artists out there, and if you happened to be able to find and afford one I''d say go for it - BUT 4 times out of 5, I''d guess that a woman would be better with her own makeup than the majority of artists they could find.

I have a fabulous makeup artist that I trust for everything... unfortunately, she was unavailable for my wedding. She made me unrealistically confident re: makeup artists and I thought I could just find another one... no. The whole trial with my sub artist I was just thinking "Why is she doing that? I always do it like _________, why is she doing that??" That was my cue to know that I would be better off doing my own.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 1:53:33 PM
Musey

I hope you read this, did you use that utube video for your makeup at the wedding?

if yes, may i ask what products and colors you used? i loved how it came out on the video.
I didn't... I've been doing my makeup for years and years and know how to do 'natural glam' quite well, I just use those videos for specialty looks (like the 'inspired by' music video stuff).

I posted my list of fave products somewhere, let me see if I can find the link.

However, what works for me isn't necessarily best for everyone! I have very pale, pinkish, sensitive and dry skin so my foundation options are quite limited (I use make up for ever liquid face & body makeup, FWIW, and LOVE IT), and the cheek/lip/eye colors will always vary quite a bit depending on your skin tone and eye color.

ETA: Becka does list the products she uses along with every video (if you click on 'more info' to the right of the video).

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
so funny - i just put up another post, asking you to respond, i was afraid you might not see this one. LOL
thank you again, any info you can give is MUCH appreciated.
I dont know what products to get and i also didn''t know that in the video she lists them too. THANKS and let me know if you find your list of fav product.s

tx

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
OMG i am so with you on L''Oreal Voluminous Waterproof - its ALL i will ever use. nothing compares.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results