shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Serving Beer, Wine-only at reception tacky?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

busybride2323

Rough_Rock
Hello! I need some honest opinions here. My FH and I just got word that the reception venue we reserved for our wedding in six months will only allow beer, wine, champagne, and malt liquors (and soda of course). The reason being, it is an indoor facility located on a regional park ground (it''s a brand new beautiful indoor facility with a northwoods feel). At any rate, my FH is IRATE! He wants a change of venue, but of course everything is booked!

Aside from it being in the middle of the woods on a lake in a regional park, the reason we chose this venue is b/c we can bring in our own alcohol! So, my question is:

Is it tacky to serve just beer, wine, and malt liquor (i.e., Mike''s Hard Lemonde, Bacardi Silver, etc) and not hard liquor??? We are having open bar, as I don''t believe in guests paying for anything at a wedding. HELP!! I am freaking out and I really don''t want to change venues, but we have many guests traveling from out of state to come to our wedding and I don''t want them to be let down.

Thoughts????

Thanks in advance for your comments.
32.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as you don''t charge people for it no it is not tacky.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
No it's not tacky to provide free drinks to everyone...

Ideas: Can you make your own premixed malt liquor? Like make premade specialty/signature drinks for the bartender to pour? Would be no different than bacardi silver. Maybe have premade vodka cranberries, cosmopolitons etc...

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
Follow this very recent thread, I'm sure you'll be reassured:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beer-and-wine-reception.115041/

sugarjo

Shiny_Rock
it''s not tacky at all.
most of the weddings i''ve been too have been wine/beer.
that''s what we are doing.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Not tacky at all! We did the same because our venue doesn''t have a liquor license, so we would have had to bring in all the hard alcohol and stuff to mix it with ourselves. We did end up having a signature drink that was a premixed wine cooler product, and of course had champagne for the toast, but otherwise it was just beer and wine.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s tacky at all. I haven''t decided what I''m doing for mine yet. It all depends on the budget, but I think it''s a perfectly fine option!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another one for not thinking that it''s tacky. I think that''s fine.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
It''s not tacky at all, but on another note, I would be furious if they hadn''t told me beforehand! Were you made aware of their liquor rules? If not, it would be grounds to cancel with a refund I would suggest.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Not tacky in the slightest.

I only served champagne, wine, dessert wine and soft drinks at my wedding - and I can assure you that the classiest weddings I have been to in the UK do not serve spirits at all (they are normally just champagne and wine - expensive vintages yes, but not a beer bottle or spirit bottle in sight!)

People do not need to drink hard liquor at a wedding - if they do, they have a serious problem!

The only think that is tacky in my opinion is to ask people to pay for their own drinks.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
We''re doing just beer and wine at our wedding. We''ve got some real heavy drinkers coming (age range is mostly 25-30) graduate/pharmacy students and I''m scared they''d get TOO liquored up if we served it.

I think beer and wine is perfectly fine!

Fleur

Rough_Rock
Our wedding is a wine themed wedding so all we''re serving is red, white and champagne. So maybe I''m biased but I think that''s very appropriate and not tacky at all. Serving your guests any kind of drinks as part of the celebration is always nice. Enjoy your day and have a nice glass of wine!!
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for not tacky at all. If you said you were only serving bottled water and guests had to pay for it I would find that tacky. I would never go to the home of a host and expect them to serve me margaritas and nothing else, the same goes for weddings.

LJS300

Rough_Rock
Not tacky at all and actually a pretty common occurrence. Plus there is also the upside of not having long lines while people wait for the bartender to whip up someone''s triple-pomegranate-cosmojito with salt and sugar rim... :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results