shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a photographer charging too much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pannini

Shiny_Rock
I am heartbroken. A photographer I''ve been eyeing for almost a year has quoted me $5200 for a wedding shoot. He said the price may raise over the next year as well, because they are high in demand and they said their prices were too low in the past which resulted in overbooking. I am heartbroken! The last time I checked (over the summer maybe?) they were going at about $4000. I am seriously about to cry. It''s horrible when you know you''ve wanted them for so long and now you feel like it''s really not realistic to go forward with the photographer of your dreams.

Is there room for negotiation? He quoted me and said the quote expires in 30 days. We are planning a wedding in 2011 after grad school, and I just can''t imagine how I can commit to an actual date and location this early in our engagement. What should we do?

I really can''t imagine having anyone else shoot it. Is this quote reasonable?
7 hours of shooting with 600 px resolution of all photos and online gallery viewing for 3 months.

=(

Help me.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Depends on where you are, but yes, I would say it''s overpriced. Don''t dispair, you have plenty of time to really do some research and find another fabulous photographer.

And please tell me that price included a proper album, if not, that''s crazy overpriced!!!!!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Too high???

Its highway robbery!

38.gif

pannini

Shiny_Rock
But can I negotiate?! Can I ask them if there is room for a better deal, maybe throw in some perks... I don''t know the etiquette.

=(

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
pannini, i am sorry you are down about this.

Yes, you could always try to negotiate. But be prepared to be told "No".
I was in love with this photographer but he was way too expensive. In the end, after negotiation, he emailed me saying that he won't be able to reduce the price but he could throw extra stuff in the package.

I didn't go with him because FI put his foot down.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Pannini, I''m so sorry!

Based on what your photographer is offering for $5200, yes, I do think he''s extremely overpriced! Most of the quotes I received that only included 6 hours shooting, high res. digital proofing, and an online gallery were in the range of $1500 to $3000 maximum. Perhaps you could either try to negotiate the price down OR try to get A LOT more packaged into that $5200 rate. Also, have you gotten any other quotes from other photographers? If he is far overpriced compared to the other photographers in your area, I''d let him know.

Just for reference, I pulled up few of the quotes I received and here is what my absolute favorite photographer offered for a rate of $4800:

*Eight continuous hours of coverage starting three hours before the ceremony
*A slide show of images shown at your reception
*$2000 Album Credit for a custom Designed Album
*50 Custom Designed Thank you cards
*Additional shoot of your choice
*Digital Proof Negatives
*Online slide show
*All photos posted in an online gallery for 3 months

charbie

Ideal_Rock
you can negociate...but chances are like cindy said...they throw in extras, and don''t bring their price down.

if you aren''t ready to nail down a date this far in advance...don''t do it. that would mean putting down a deposit which you probably never could get back if the date didn''t work out. which means you would have spent way too much anyway. he''s trying to play to your emotions and tell you they will go up in price so you book now.

it would be my hope that a photographer would be honored that you love his work so much...tell him that, flatter him, and see if you can book him for maybe half the time, and then a less expensive option for the rest. if its no...well, i''d keep looking.

photos last a lifetime, sure, i get that. but think about how often you''ll look at them, how many you will use for albums. most likely, you need about 50-60 GREAT images.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Pannini, I am so sorry you are going through this! I went through something similar with the destination wedding photographer of my dreams. The package she quoted me did NOT include travel and hotel for her and her assistant for 3 nights - 2 working days. When it was all said and done, the price was nearly $7,000USD! So in the end, I had to say no. I am spoiled, but that would have been ludicrous!

(((((HUGS)))))

This seems completely overpriced, IMHO.

I hope you find someone else just as fabulous to do your wedding.

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can definitely try and negotiate! But honestly, it is going to be tough, especially if you have no date set and your wedding is a ways away. The price also seems high especially for how little you get in return. I went through a similar thing, we met with a ton of photographers and found one that I thought was PERFECT for us. She was a bit more than we wanted to spend, but we talked it over (for a week) and decided to move forward. When I emailed her, she was booked already! I seriously cried, I felt like a junior high girl that had been dumped! I got over it and kept looking, I actually turned my search out of the area (I am in Chicago, which is more pricey than the surrounding areas) I eventually found a fantastic photographer from a neighboring state, whose work I liked just as much, but was 1500 cheaper (including her travel fees) and we couldn''t be happier! I''m not sure where you are from, but it sounds like, for that price, you are looking for more artistic photos. If you haven''t already, try looking on www.wpja.com It is the professional organization for photojournalistic wedding photographers. You can search by state, and it lists their price range, location, and any awards that they have won. I am sure that you can find another photographer you love if you look hard enough!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, if the photographer has people willing to pay that much for their services then that''s how much their time and skill are worth. (Not to say I don''t find that quote extremely high!)

It never hurts to try to negotiate, but if they are as popular as they sound and often get overbooked, chances are they''ll have no reason to budge on the price if they have all the clients they can handle.

Even if it doesn''t work out though, I''m sure you can find somebody amazing in your price range!

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
A similar thing happened to me. We fell in LOVE with the photographers that my brother and sister in law used- they were awesome and were only $800 for the whole day cause they were new photographers. The very next year our best friends used them and they had raised their prices to $2500 for the entire day. 2 years later we contacted them and they were $8500 for the same package that both my brother and best friends had!!!

$8,500!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

I was devestated, and my sister in law tried to get them to go down since they are still friends. They refused saying their demand was too high. Anyway, although I was upset we just had to find someone else for our wedding photographers. You know what? They did a GREAT job and were much less expensive. I can''t imagine spending that type of money on a photographer.

I''m sorry this happened to you, but go out and look for someone else in your price range. I''m sure your pictures will be beautiful no matter what.
1.gif

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
i''m sorry to hear that your dream photographer is asking that much. is he a popular photographer? maybe that''s a reason why his rates is too high. there''s definitely nothing wrong with negotiating but don''t expect too much from it.

most photographers have their own website now, could you share it with us? i''m curious to see what kind of photo style he has.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it''s probably too high. But if they really are high demand like they say, there may be no room to negotiate. He''ll just say no thanks, someone else will pay full price. Yanno?

I feel your pain, the photog I originally fell in love with had a package like Inanna''s for over $10K!!!
23.gif
We found another photog we love just as much that cost less than half that. The good thing is, you have a long time to decide if it''s 2011, so someone new might start up that you love even more...and who won''t charge an arm and a leg for their service.

If you can''t find anyone locally, expand your search to other areas. I''ve noticed that photogs love to shoot new places, so if it''s somewhere they haven''t been, they might give you a deal on travel costs. You cover the flight, they cover the hotel or something...

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 10:45:54 AM
Author: Morgie44
I think you can definitely try and negotiate! But honestly, it is going to be tough, especially if you have no date set and your wedding is a ways away. The price also seems high especially for how little you get in return. I went through a similar thing, we met with a ton of photographers and found one that I thought was PERFECT for us. She was a bit more than we wanted to spend, but we talked it over (for a week) and decided to move forward. When I emailed her, she was booked already! I seriously cried, I felt like a junior high girl that had been dumped! I got over it and kept looking, I actually turned my search out of the area (I am in Chicago, which is more pricey than the surrounding areas) I eventually found a fantastic photographer from a neighboring state, whose work I liked just as much, but was 1500 cheaper (including her travel fees) and we couldn''t be happier! I''m not sure where you are from, but it sounds like, for that price, you are looking for more artistic photos. If you haven''t already, try looking on www.wpja.com It is the professional organization for photojournalistic wedding photographers. You can search by state, and it lists their price range, location, and any awards that they have won. I am sure that you can find another photographer you love if you look hard enough!

I went through a similar situation to you where my dream photographer (or what I thought was my dream at the time) was around $6000 for not even a whole day of shooting. After freaking out a bit I visited the site that Morgie gave you and found an amazing photographer for under $2500! We actually interviewed 3 pretty wonderful options that I found from that site. Even though this one might be your favorite, I am willing to bet you there are some comparable photographers out there! Good luck.

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
does the package come with an album or with any other sessions (like engagement or bridal)?
if so, you could try removing those from the package to get the cost down. then if your really wanted an engagement session you could find someone more affordable to do them for you but have your favorite for the wedding.

but,like many others said, if he/she can get that kind of money it''s going to be hard to get the cost down.

and as far as being overpriced... a photographer is worth what someone will pay for them. if he is keeping booked for that kind of money, then i wouldn''t say he''s over priced. but just rather, maybe out of your budget.

i''m so sorry you fell in love though. i did the same thing. i followed a photographer for years before our wedding and when the time came, we couldn''t afford her. i was really sad. our compromise was to use my favorite for our engagement pictures and find someone else for our wedding. and it all worked out great. i found another photographer that we loved and we have wonderful photos from our wedding!!

in fact, our wedding was published in a magazine!

it will all work out. but i''m sorry you are having to deal with all this nonetheless.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Reasonableness of the price depends on the norms in your city, time of year/time of week, and to a lesser extent what percentage of your overall budget does this expense represent.

Generally speaking, it''s silly to book the photographer before you have a date, location, or general wedding plan. Two years is still a long way off for most people to book things, but you might have factors to consider (beyond graduation dates) and be the exception (such as an extravagant fete or a highly desirable date like a Saturday night in June). He''s pressuring you because it suits his business to lock in being booked, not because he''s trying to do you a personal favor.

What sort of non-refundable deposit would you have to make within the next 30 days in order to have the price locked in?

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but no if he''s included other stuff with the package. In my area, the prices range below $5k to $10k or more, depending on what you want. Yes, it''s a total hard ball tactic that these vendors do (because I had one pull the same line on me). However, you''re not getting married for two years, and you don''t have a date. If you really want this photographer, then you''ll know to start saving up. You should take the time to meet and look at photo portfolios of different photographers. That way you can really see what their style is like. Who knows, maybe you''ll find someone more affordable who takes pictures that you really will love.

Is this photographer going to give you all the shots when this is done, or is there a waiting time before they are yours? A lot of photographers will also throw in an album as well. Further, is there an assistant or is it just him? If it really is just shots and online viewing, then it''s not worth it because the extras are going to start adding up quickly.

And I wouldn''t think about having two different photographers - it''s weird, and IMO, rude to them. I''ve got friends who shoot weddings, but I didn''t have them shoot my wedding. The photography business in the area is a small group and they know each other or of each other. Also, for continuity, you really should just stick with one photographer.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Well, how important are photographs to you? If they''re your #1 priority, then maybe you want to spend the money to be happy. However, if you''re also going to want a nice dress, nice food, alcohol, nice invitations, etc. etc. you may want to rethink.

There are TONS of great photographers out there.

What else is included in the package? Just time & photos? If so, it''s very over priced, in my opinion.

Does he have a website we could look at?

pannini

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 12:46:05 PM
Author: cleokizzy
i''m sorry to hear that your dream photographer is asking that much. is he a popular photographer? maybe that''s a reason why his rates is too high. there''s definitely nothing wrong with negotiating but don''t expect too much from it.

most photographers have their own website now, could you share it with us? i''m curious to see what kind of photo style he has.

photographer.

he has been my fave since last year! i am so devastated! i think i''ll try to ask if he''ll throw in some extras.... btw i caught the bouquet at one of his wedding events, which is awesome and hilarious! so it''s like fate, you know?

pannini

Shiny_Rock
By the way if anyone knows of photographers with the same style and views as this one, then please do let me know! I live in San Francisco.

=)

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
I love Jerry Yoon too, I''ve been blog stalking him for a year or so :) Perhaps check with Jennifer Skog, her style is pretty similar. If you want to catch some upcoming talent, check out the SFSU and Academy of Art photo departments. They both specialize in fine art style. If you''re looking for more photo journalistic style, SFSU has an awesome j-department.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if this will make you feel better, but my cousin hired a very artistic, expensive wedding photographer for the wedding, where as I hired 2 relatively cheap ones due to budget, and my cousin actually likes my photos better. She feels in hindsight her photographer took amazingly beautiful and precise pictures, but they were so artistic that they didn''t feel as warm, genuine, or as intimate because they were so polished and editorial. And she felt a little intimidated dealing with her photographer.

Personally I think her photos are gorgeous, but you never know, this might turn out to be a good thing and you might find another photographer that has all great skills without the hefty price tag.
1.gif

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
pannini: i see why you fell in-love with him. his portfolio is impressive! how much is your *estimated* budget anyway? 2011 is a lot of time

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results