shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for Wrap/Shrug for a halter V-neck dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladies,

I'm slowly emerging from MIA to lurkerland to posting again. It will be a slow process, but it's clear that I am missing some DIY-chromosomes, AND coping-DNA. So I'm kind of screwed without you guys with 58 days to go.

So my dress is a V-neck halter (see below.)

I had originally planned to make a cardigan-shrug (which followed the neckline of my dress) out of the lace bertha collar of my mom's 1968 dress and wear that in the church. Problem is, I'm now going to wear my sister's amazing Belgian lace chapel length veil. That they're different laces is only one problem--that could have been managed, but my mom's lace is clearly a darker ivory, while sister's lace is white. My dress is a light ivory that better matches the white. Add to that the ridiculous amounts of labor involved with constructing the piece from my mom's old dress (and that she holds NO sentimental value to my doing it: on the contrary, she really WANTS me to wear my sister's veil which is really considered the heirloom piece--they bought it together in Belgium from the little old lady who made it. I know. Seriously.)

The net of it, no pun intended: When I had some of my BM's here for my shower last month, we had a dress try on session with the veil and then looked at Mom's lace as well (while FH and BM's husband played halo in the other room for like, 3 hours and wondered what in the WORLD was going on in the other room.) Sister's veil looks like HEAVEN with the dress. It's just perfect. The lace on mom's dress looks too costume-y. It's fabulous--but the dress already has this 30's glam hollywood thing to it, and adding this slightly yellowed lace to it would make it too deliberately vintage, you know? So there was no contest.

Ok, short story long, long story boring?

I'm wondering if I should bother to try for some kind of a jacket/shrug/wrap FOR THE RECEPTION.
Not going to for the ceremony--the veil is so long and fabulous that my shoulders will be covered enough. I'm over it.

But my issue is this: With a halter/V-neck, most of the fabulous little shrugs I see on Etsy and the like would make a weird little pattern, like, there would be a strange bit of skin exposed between the halter and the shrug (since they're designed to be worn more for a strapless or sleeveless dress.) Or they connect at the neck in an inverted V above the v-neck which makes another weird pattern on the chest above the v-neck of the dress.

So--help me out girls, have you seen something that would make sense with a dress like mine?

Wedding is May 1. SoCal. Won't be cold, won't be hot, but could be breezy, especially in the evening.

ETA:I have no idea who those ladies are looking at me in the mirror, but they make me giggle.

bluerosedressmay1.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
one more of dress. It''s backless, so that''s the other thing....pretty much any wrap is going to leave a big old gap of back exposed. Kind of wondering if I just shouldn''t bother. Or just buy a bolt of silver organza or tulle (the girls are wearing pewter/dark silver) and just kind of wrap it around myself?

Meh. I''m thinking this is not an important detail. I''m totally escaping REAL stuff like cutting people from our too-large guest list.

bluerosedressmay1a.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Here's the back of the dress--I kind of love the ruching at the booty.

That's my Dad in the mirror. (He went with me and one of the BMs to pick it up last June. Kind of has been like that this process--Mom has not been so involved. *sigh*)

bluerosedressmay1b.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
So--my main concern is the coverage/lines issue--am I going to have a weird gap between the v-neck of the dress and the opening of the bolero/shrug.

Something like this?

Silver #1

estybr43.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Or this--last one:

Maybe I'm being silly? Would something like one of these even work?

Or is it WAY too much? Somthing more subtle? Different shape? Nothing at all? Punch in the face?

Help me BWWers....you're my only hope.

2.gif

etsybr43c.jpg

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, I like the first bolero, but I see your point. Here is what I am thinking, you are getting married in southern Cali, correct? I don''t even know if you need a heavy silk thing like that. You might consider a long, flowy silver tone piece of fabric or shawl that matches the bridemaid dresses. Essentially you are looking for something you can wrap around you and keep the breeze/wind away from your body. So, something that is sheer, flowy, but not flimsy, would work well. AND, it makes a nice prop for pictures w/ you and the hubby. My photographer has a pic in her studio of bride and groom under her veil shot at dusk and it is amazing. Plus, something longer will look elegant, cover the gap over your back, and accentuate your slimness b/c of the length. That''s just what I think.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Custom measurements. Countessa of Crimson Empress on etsy (Link!) made my bolero to my measurements, and it came out perfectly. If you were to send her (or another seamstress) a picture of your dress and a description of what you want, it can be done. Promise.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adore those Boleros. I think a custom one with a longer back (maybe like a tux with tails) made to work with the halter would be perfect. That first style is to die for.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I like the first bolero, but frankly, don''t see it with your dress. I like the idea of having one custom made to fit the lines of you dress. Personally, I think one in a flowing silk or chiffon would look gorgeous. I have this perfect picture in my head, of a sheer fabric, that fits the lines of you dress, about elbow length for sleeves with a bit of ruffle. I don''t know how else to explain it, lol!

And yes, I am sooooooo excited to see everything coming together for your wedding as well!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Just be sure that you don''t have a large gap in the back. That is the one faux paus that I have witnessed among women and their bolero/shrugs. There have been times when it was so custom that the design actually intended to show the back and it worked, but that is rare because it usually requires a custom job to pull that off.

Your dress is so low in the back that I think you will need THE perfect shrug to pull it off and not look...meh. Yanno?

The dress is beautiful. For all the time you spent while the guys played Halo, you''d think we''d get a pic or two of the veil. ::::::::: so not subtle hint:::::::::::::

wyndham

Shiny_Rock
Hi Blueroses,

I think the bolero idea is great, but wanted to suggest an additional option. I ordered an extra 2 yards of fabric from my dress manufacturer (same material as my dres), and I had my seamstress make it into a long, 8'''' thick wrap. I pinned it asymmetrically over my left shoulder in front with a vintage brooch -- the whole look was really elegant. It kept me warm but didn''t ''compete'' with the neckline of my dress, if you know what I mean.

Just a suggestion...I''m sure you''ll work something out either way!

Best of luck with the rest of your planning.

35.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladies
35.gif
35.gif

Thanks for the feedback, beadchick, Freke, Gypsy, ilovesparkles, miraclesrule and wyndham!!

Freke, I think my Mom may use your Etsy gal for a modified custom jacket version of your fab shrug for her MOB jacket (and she''s going to get one of their fascinators....she is going to be a seriously foxy MOB.)

As for me....I bit the bullet and bought the IVORY shrug. The one that''s a little bit the most out there and Cruella de Ville. Partially b/c I found it the most fab (as much as I really loved the silver ones, I didn''t want to wear a color), partially b/c it was a freakin'' steal and I didn''t want it to get away, and Partially....and you guys couldn''t see this?? Because it''s BACKLESS. Which removes that whole problem. it does tie with a thin ribbon in the back, but I think I can have my seamstress make something work with snaps along the sides of my dress along the backs of my arms...I''m attaching a pic. And if not, no bigs. I have enough costume designer friends that we can MacGeyver something. And...it is kinda fierce even if just for some awesome pictures, grand reception entrance and a dance. I''m being very, very silly.

Here''s the back of it:

wrapback43.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
p.s. Wyndham and ilovesparkles, I think your suggestions rocked. Love brooches and elbow length sleeves. Oh well!

And...I will just have to get some veil pics at my hair trial week after next!! :)

ETA: This is kind of my one surprise for FH because we picked out my dress together...it's a small thing, but I like having one attire thing that he hasn't seen. He won't see me in the dress (and hasn't looked at it since we picked it up over the summer) until May 1, but--a surprise is fun!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Well if you had TOLD us it was virtually backless!
28.gif
I think it will look fabulous! And I would think any dress maker could put on snaps or hook-n-eyes for the bolero to attach to your dress! My mom is creating an invisible button on the fron of my dress to hold down my lace shawl because it slips back and chokes me otherwise. Yay!
36.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2010 9:37:51 PM
Author: ilovesparkles
28.gif
I think it will look fabulous! And I would think any dress maker could put on snaps or hook-n-eyes for the bolero to attach to your dress! My mom is creating an invisible button on the fron of my dress to hold down my lace shawl because it slips back and chokes me otherwise. Yay!
36.gif

.....tease!! I am dying to see pics of this! That lace is so pretty!!
36.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2010 9:54:53 PM
Author: blueroses
Date: 3/8/2010 9:37:51 PM

Author: ilovesparkles

28.gif
36.gif

.....tease!! I am dying to see pics of this! That lace is so pretty!!
36.gif

I am dying to see it too! It is currently 400 miles away from me and not finished yet! OK, thread-jack over.

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of having a bolero made for you and your dress. But I do want to say (as a fellow SoCal girl) that the weather will be mild and that you''ll be so jacked-up on adrenaline that you won''t know if it''s cold or hot anyway. The dress is (very) lovely as-is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results