shape
carat
color
clarity

I ordered my wedding dress!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! This is finally my first post in BWW since getting engaged and I am so excited!

FI and I have gotten the ball rolling on planning our wedding, which is next August. Our wedding is in PA where my parents live and my mom is taking care of most of the logistical things with our planner. This weekend FI and I took a trip to Dallas so I could start the wedding gown shopping process. I had made the decision to go dress shopping alone, but wanted FI to come to the first appointment so I could see how he reacted to all the different styles of dresses I tried on. He is also paying for the dress so I wanted to make sure I got something he liked. My mom and I do not see eye to eye on dress styles so I didn''t want to deal with the stress of her coming. All of my close girlfriends live on the east coast and I didn''t want them to pay airfare just to come dress shopping. I figured I know what I like the best and I would go with my gut (with a little input from FI). I had three appointments scheduled for yesterday. My first appointment was at Neiman Marcus and FI came to this one. I must have tried on 15 dresses and was getting tired at the end. Almost all of them were lace sheaths or trumpet/mermaid styles. FI LOVED the trumpet style on me but I teased him by saying I hated the style and would get something different. By the end of the appointment, I had decided I really loved the Monique Lhullier “Kennedy” lace gown and almost ordered it. I figured I would mull over it for a few days but was pretty set on the gown. I went to my second appointment, which was at a small local boutique, and tried on a few more gowns but still felt the best about the ML. By then I was so tired of trying on gowns that I wanted to cancel my third appointment, which was at Carolina Herrera. The CH boutique is right across the way from the second bridal boutique so I figured I would go but would only try on gowns that were absolutely amazing. I met my consultant and went through the gowns with her. The gown that immediately jumped out to me was a strapless lace trumpet gown with an interesting trumpet portion. I immediately wanted to try the gown on and when I did, I felt so amazing. I felt so much more beautiful in this gown than the ML gown. The dress is surprising lightweight which was one of my requirements. I LOVE the trumpet portion because the lace appliqués are so pretty and the material actually has subtle polka dots. My consultant suggested that the appliqué pattern on the dress be used on the wedding cake, which I think is a great idea. The only modifcation that is going to be made is that the neckline is going to be changed to a sweetheart neckline. I am so excited and I can’t wait for my first fitting!
9.gif
I''m also happy because I picked a dress FI never saw and I know he will love it!

Sorry for the long-winded post! Here is me in the gown. Please excuse my horrible posture, I was so tired by the time the pic was taken.
14.gif

labratweddress.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to BWW! Your dress is so unique and elegant! The lace is different than anything I have ever seen! You made a great choice. Can''t wait to see your fitting pictures!

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
that dress is amazing. i looooooove it. and the shape fits you perfectly!!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Amazing dress...I LOVE it! Did you buy a veil yet? Reason I ask is because http://bridesheadrevisited.net/ in NYC has the most amazing veil with a very soft polkadot netting. It is the most luxurious veil I have ever seen. Their veils are expensive but still less than a larger retailer. If you are anywhere close to the area I suggest checking it out. I looked at thousands of veils and this one with the very subtle polka dots was the nicest I have ever seen. I'd actually forgotten about it till now.

ETA...I think it is the Audrey. This one has a bow that gathers it in the back...stunning!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
One last thing I wanted to add is that I like the neckline as is. Sweetheart is nice too but I haven''t seen anyone pull off the current neckline as nicely as you do and I think its a nice change and it fits the proportion of the dress so well.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 12:29:21 AM
Author: emeraldlover1
One last thing I wanted to add is that I like the neckline as is. Sweetheart is nice too but I haven''t seen anyone pull off the current neckline as nicely as you do and I think its a nice change and it fits the proportion of the dress so well.

Hi EM1! Hmm, that''s interesting that you feel that way about the neckline. When I was at Neiman Marcus, my consultant felt that a sweetheart neckline would be the most flattering since the length from my shoulder to the *ahem* girls is very short. She and the seamstress thought a straight neckline was "too much dress". We pinned every strapless gown I tried on to make it a sweetheart. My Carolina Herrera consultant was a more undecided. She said the sweetheart would look nice too but thought it looked good the way it is. The dress is ordered to have the standard neckline and the seamstress is going to change it at the first fitting. She also said she was going to lower the lace at the neckline a little too to reduce the fabric. I am not sure which way to go. I love the look of the sweetheart but I also don''t want the dress to be too va-va-voom. Thanks for your input though!
5.gif

Thank you everyone for your kind comments!
9.gif

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2009 12:29:21 AM
Author: emeraldlover1

i love the dress--beautiful!!! and agree, don''t change the neckline; it looks perfect on you as it is!

gls

Shiny_Rock
looks perfect as is! Love the detailing on the bottom of the dress gorgeous!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it as is too, however I do adore sweetheart necklines so I know how you''re feeling! It''s a stunning dress so you can''t go wrong either way.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
this is one of the best dresses i have ever seen. the lace detail is such a beautiful contrast against the straight lines on the bottom of the dress. i just love it! it is so hard to look at this picture with my wedding only a month away. really great choice! i''m so happy that you ordered it!!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
beautiful!! i am in the camp that it looks great with the neckline you have now!

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
wow... you got to pick between monique lhuillier OR carolina herrera?!?! they''re both out of my budget! haha.

beautiful choice of gown! i agree with other brides, i think the neckline is beautiful as it is!

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the kind responses everyone! I had a moment of panic this morning, wondering if I made the right decision since I only tried on approximately 20 dresses. Deciding in a day is really unusual for me - I thought I would be one of those brides that tries on over 100 dresses and still can''t decide! I feel better now looking at the pic again. I just LOVED wearing this dress
30.gif

I am on the fence about the neckline. It definitely came up too high when I put on the sample (I had lace in my armpits!
3.gif
) so the seamstress said she would definitely lower it when my actual dress comes in. I was really set on a sweetheart neckline since all the consultants and FI thought it looked the best on me but now I feel like I do like the straight neckline on this dress. I don''t want the dress to look too sexy because I have older relatives coming from India. I feel like the fitted silhouette of the dress and a sweetheart neckline would maybe be too much. Guess I have until Feb to decide...

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the dress!! It looks great on you!!! You''re gonna blow him away once he sees you!!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to BWW!!! What a great dress! Congratulations on your engagement!!!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous dress!!! I would leave the neckline but definitely lower the lace a bit.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I had to come back and look at this dress again because it is amazing! Everything from the polkadots, to the lace, to the neckline. This dress is fabulous. I love the lace on the top of the neckline too so if you change it you will not see that detail unless the seamstress can figure out a way to keep it. I think your best bet is to wait until your fitting to decide. Have them pin it so you can see what it would look like.

Did you check out that veil I suggested? Thoughts?

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again everyone!

EM1 - Unfortunately, I will not be wearing a veil as the ceremony is going to be a traditional Hindu ceremony (I will be wearing a sari for this). The wedding gown is for the reception/pictures. I find saris very uncomfortable so I plan to get out of it as soon as possible. Plus, FI is not Indian/Hindu so the reception is going to be Americanized. I loved the veils tho and the site had some very pretty hair accessories which I will probably look into! Thank you for the link!
1.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 12:55:31 PM
Author: LabRatPhD
Thanks again everyone!

EM1 - Unfortunately, I will not be wearing a veil as the ceremony is going to be a traditional Hindu ceremony (I will be wearing a sari for this). The wedding gown is for the reception/pictures. I find saris very uncomfortable so I plan to get out of it as soon as possible. Plus, FI is not Indian/Hindu so the reception is going to be Americanized. I loved the veils tho and the site had some very pretty hair accessories which I will probably look into! Thank you for the link!
1.gif
No problem! I love the dressss.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
That''s such a stunning dress! Regarding the neckline, I also had a straight neckline that I changed to a sweetheart and I''m very glad I did. I think either a straight or sweetheart would look beautiful on you, but you should go with whichever feels prettier and more comfortable to you. Did you have them pin it into a sweetheart for you when you tried it on? If not, you should definitely have them do it before you make the final decision -- the way you feel about it might surprise you, or you might just confirm that you prefer it altered!

Revana03

Rough_Rock
i absolutely LOVE this dress! what a stunning choice you''ve made! i adore how the lace intricacy is really able to shine through with this dress''the mermaid portion at the bottom almost showcases this detail. I actually saw someone who posted this dress for sale used on a weddingbee.com board about a week ago (here) and immediately had dress envy...

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!

I had a slight panic about my dress yesterday and had to call my consultant to reassure me things would be okay. The dress will have to be shortened about 3 inches because I am short and I was worried that the design of the dress would be compromised because of this. My consultant told me they would do everything they can do at all costs to keep the dress to design. I felt better as soon as I talked to her. Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results