shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help with dress, shoes, everything!!

melave

Shiny_Rock
Hi to all you stylish people :)

This whole dress thing is really stressing me out. I don't wear dresses normally so trying to find one is so hard. plus with my body shape (short, fat and really big boobs) it is just about near on impossible

Now the OH and i are planning on just getting married in the courthouse with 2 witnesses. Family complications rule out a big wedding, plus i don't think i would be comfortable with one anyway. I just want to go and get married!!
I figure i should make a bit of an effort to look pretty. But i have been looking for ages for a dress and could not find anything. so out of frustration, i have bought this

Please be honest and tell me what you think. It isn't here yet and i am not sure on the sizing (there was no chart) so i am hoping that it will fit!!

Any suggestions for a dress? It needs to have straps as i have to wear a bra. I would like something knee length.

Also shoes. I am NOT a stiletto wearer, my feet are in boots most days, so what shoes do you think would suit? And hair. I have short, fine hair so combs are out. Do you think a headband would be ok? Something like this? or is it a bit over the top for a courthouse wedding?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/62237744/lucinda-ivory-off-white-or-white-bridal

Thanking you all in advance

ORI-9104__White_small2.jpg

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I really really like the dress you got..since you normally wear boots why not just wear a pair of white boots for wedding? that's what I was looking for before just really don't have much luck with my shoe size..

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement, melave!

I think courthouse weddings are spectacular! ChloetheGreat just got married at the courthouse and wore jeans and a beautiful lace top and killer shoes. You can see her pictures here.

I think that's a lovely dress, and I hope it fits! When are you planning on heading to the courthouse? If it's any time in the winter, I think if you paired that with some white Ugg-style boots and a faux-fur muff and possibly a cape, it would be ADORABLE. Otherwise, I totally think you could either go for a white cowboy boot...or frankly any cowboy boot. No need to make it white! Or you could do a cute, possibly sparkly, ballet flat. And I love me a colored shoe...so no reason to go white on those, either!

For your hair, I had long hair for my wedding, but chopped it off similar to Mandy Moore's right after. About 2 months after that we had our local reception, so I bought a sparkly headband from Claire's that worked fabulously, and I think the same would work for you! I also like the etsy one you posted, but I'd advise heading to somewhere like David's Bridal that sells floral headpieces like that before purchasing one you can't try on: I found out that large flowers on the side of my head looked ridiculous, but on some people they look fabulous!

Best of luck to you!

melave

Shiny_Rock
HI all

Thanks for the replies :)

Sorry, i may have mis informed. It is a registry office wedding, i couldn't think of the wording for some reason :)

I am like you minmin, i don't have much luck with shoes :(

vc10um i love chloe the great's outfit!!!! that would be perfect for me, but i was chatting to the OH yesterday about it, and he wants to wear a suit so i figure i should wear a dress. Plus it would be a shock for him to see me in one

I want to do it asap. It's hard because we are about 1600km (1000 miles) away from the city, so it is hard to organise. And i am trying to keep it quiet from the family. There are NO shops here, so i am doing it all online. It is proving to be interesting :) and being in Western Australia, there is not alot here.

I would like to go down in Jan and do it. i can get a week off in mid Jan, so fly down, get married, have a dinner for friends and family then head down south for a mini honeymoon. Otherwise it will be feb/march, so summer here. I need to start getting organised

My hair is about the same length as yours!! But shorter at the back. I was looking at this
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tasha-crystal-garland-headband/3199891?origin=sbSeeColorsNViews&tn=swatch_popup
but i think it's too much
so i am looking at something like this
http://www.etsy.com/listing/59419680/madeline-french-netting-ivory-bridal
but on the side and on a headband. too much for a registry wedding?

And NOW i have decided i need flowers!! I think i am going a bit crazy with this wedding thing.

Oh and i love chloe's shoes!!!!!!!! i think they would be perfect but maybe a bit high for me? I was thinking of blue shoes, but don't know where to look :(

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I think the dress you found will be perfect. If it doesn't end up fitting, maybe you could try a nice skirt and top. (I felt the same way and thought "it's my wedding, I should wear a dress!" but couldn't find anything that was the right fit for me.)

Definitely get shoes you are comfortable in! I loved my tall red shoes in theory...but they absolutely killed my feet!

And whatever you end up doing for your wedding...just make sure it is what YOU want it to be! We wanted a low-key courthouse wedding and that is exactly what we got! I am so happy I did what I wanted and didn't let family influence my decision.

Can't wait to see what you decide on!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
To me, courthouse and registry office are the same thing...I just love when people choose to do their wedding the way that works best for them. And to have such an intimate ceremony??? LOVE.

That's a long way to live from the big city! WOW! I can understand why you're doing everything online! Since you're getting married in the summer, maybe a wedge like Chloe's with either a cork or espadrille sole would be more seasonally appropriate...and apparently much more easy to track down in the summer, since I can't find a single good example that isn't a Christian Louboutin. LOL.

I like both those headpieces you posted! The nordstrom one is definitely a statement...whether or not its too much I think really depends on the person and if you feel comfortable rocking it. If YOU think it's too much, then even if you LOVE it, you won't feel comfortable in it and it'll show. I think the etsy one is lovely and a nice size for a fascinator. I also like all the textures!

BTW...totally kinda loving the idea that you're sneaking off to get married and not telling your family. SO romantic. ::swoon::

melave

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Chloe. I remember when we announced we were engaged. it was "oh you must do this, you must do that ". It really stressed me out. I am not into big parties. As far as i am concern, it's about me and my OH. I don't need all the work of a big wedding. I just want it to be me and OH and the 2 witnesses we have to have.

Did you have a reception after your vows? I was thinking of just booking a table for 25-30 at a restaurant and inviting everyone we want. But i don't know how to invite them without telling them we are getting married.

vc10um i have been looking at wedges, the only one i am liking at the moment is this one http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/athena-alexander-raft-wedge-sandal/3096110?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=0
That wouldn't look too bad would it? i am not finding much else at the moment

oh and i am going to have a little bouquet. I have emailed the florist who made this one to see if they can make a smaller one in white for me. i was thinking i would like some blue feathers in it, if they can. what do you think?

After all this work, i really hope the dress fits!!!!!!

rose with feathers.jpg

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
melave|1322360496|3069334 said:
Thanks Chloe. I remember when we announced we were engaged. it was "oh you must do this, you must do that ". It really stressed me out. I am not into big parties. As far as i am concern, it's about me and my OH. I don't need all the work of a big wedding. I just want it to be me and OH and the 2 witnesses we have to have.

Did you have a reception after your vows? I was thinking of just booking a table for 25-30 at a restaurant and inviting everyone we want. But i don't know how to invite them without telling them we are getting married.

vc10um i have been looking at wedges, the only one i am liking at the moment is this one http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/athena-alexander-raft-wedge-sandal/3096110?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=0
That wouldn't look too bad would it? i am not finding much else at the moment

oh and i am going to have a little bouquet. I have emailed the florist who made this one to see if they can make a smaller one in white for me. i was thinking i would like some blue feathers in it, if they can. what do you think?

After all this work, i really hope the dress fits!!!!!!

We did not have a reception. But we are planning to have a family/close friends gathering in the spring when the weather will be nice for my out-of-state family to visit. Probably a restaurant dinner at one of my favorites.

You could just plan the reception after you get settled into being married. A week later...or a month later...? However much time you need to pick a restaurant and get the invites out. I think a big dinner with all yr favorite people sounds like a great plan!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I really like the wedges you posted from nordstrom!

That bouquet is lovely as well. I see no reason why you can't carry a bouquet at your wedding, registry office or not!

As for the reception, you can always say it's an "engagement party" and then make the announcement when you arrive that you've just come from the registry office and you're not just engaged, you're MARRIED! It seems like you have a long way to travel, so it seems like a second trip isn't in the cards...so the bait and switch might be the best way to do it.

melave

Shiny_Rock
What a fantastic idea vc10um. I did not even think about that!!!!!! I have been planting engagement party seeds in friends and family to throw them off the scent :)

Well update on the dress. It rocked up, and it is gorgeous. But it doesn't fit properly :cry: :cry: it is too big in some areas, cuts way too low and wide, so the "girls" (my boobs) are WAY too out there!!! Plus it is way too see through. oh well, i will have to send it back :(
so now i am on the hunt again. This is starting to get a little too frustrating.

i even looked for nice tops but have not found any yet.

It's hard beause i am trying to rush it. My best friend is pregnant and i want her to be at the reception, but she won't be able to fly after february and i would love to do it before then

maybe i am just going to have to hold off for a few more months, but i am a bit scared that if i do, we will never do it. something will always come up

i don't know

sorry for my ramblings :(

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about reordering the dress in a different size to fit up top then having it altered to make sure it fits everywhere else too? It shouldn't be too hard to do. You can also have them add a modesty panel in the chest region if that's the issue.

ETA: Missed the see through part. That is often a problem with white. Have you considered doing a different color?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to what LP said about altering! A good seamstress can often work miracles! If the dress isn't too small anywhere, see if you can find someone to try and take in the "too big" parts. They should also be able to add a modesty panel like LP suggested.

Also, how about a nude slip for under the dress? That'll add some opacity without changing the tone of the dress.

((hugs))

melave

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies

thanks for the replies

I though about altering it but i think i would lose some of the beading. And just the way it fits, it would need some serious alterations. I just didn't love it

It got a bit much so i have enlisted the help from a stylist in the next town (500km away). She sent me a link to a dress that was nice, but i bit too much cleavage for me. On that website though, there was this

what do you think? Too Grandma? too much?

19090901-1zm.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Gypsy. The style of that dress appears to be riffing on the Kate Middleton, so if you keep the styling and accessories young, it will look youthful and fun and perfect for a registry wedding!

I also like the other dress Gypsy posted.

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to say I LOVE that headpiece from etsy and your flower choice is gorgeous! My best friend wore a simple long stretchy sheath wedding gown (sort of a Grecian look) and carried a small bouquet to her court house wedding and she didn't look out of place at all. I think you can wear whatever your comfortable with and makes you feel happy. As far as your dress choices go, the lace dress is very pretty. Here's another suggestion http://us.asos.com/River-Island-Riv..._product_search&WT.tsrc=Google Product Search

melave

Shiny_Rock
Ok so sorry for the delay in replying

I found my dress!!!! :appl: :appl:

The stylist put me onto this website
http://www.livingsilk.com.au/

So i emailed them. I was in communication with a lady named Olivia, Fantastic woman. Anyway she sent me the dress to try on and it FIT!!!! and it is gorgeous!!!! Still a little low cut, but she said she would send some fabric and i can get it sewn in, just so the girls aren't too much on display :) The dress she sent wasn't the right colour, it was a latte colour with pink embroidery, but it was soooo pretty

I haven't ordered it yet. Life is a bit crazy, new job soon and a move to a new town going to happen. So once everything settles down i will order it and have my dress! I can't wait. Here are some pics. They have 2 different styles, which are basically the same, just different pattern on the overlay

Thanks again for all your help. I really do appreciate it :) It has made this whole process so less stressful.

anzel-024.jpg

Innocence.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
That dress is gorgeous! So happy that you found something you love!

Totally love the dress you ended up with! And I think it's a better choice if you have a larger bust than the one you posted with concerns about it being "grandma-ish." I didn't think it was too grandma-like, but I have an ample bosom and always find trouble when trying to fit the girls into dresses where a line or sash is sewn in at empire level. That may have been a problem but you've avoided that with your choice. Way to go!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results