shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love silk and yes for a gown like yours it has a much richer sheen and in my opinion would be worth the splurge. I would go for the silk in that style as it is all about the cut and the fabric.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gypsy, I'll ask about the silk. I did really like the fabric she recommended, it was the same weight and look (i think) of silk and not cheap looking, but I'm just worried that without just the right fabric instead of simple and classy this dress will look cheap. Do you think the second dress I posted with the high neckline looks like silk?

Is the one below silk?

Simple dress, amazing necklace.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The color of the dress DIRECTLY ABOVE is a little too white for silk to my eyes-- but that could be in contrast to the model's skin OR the photography. Silk that I have seen has a more mellow color. More like an H-I diamond than a D. But I'm used to seeing it on very white people (albino esque!) so that could be skewing it :bigsmile: And the hand-- the drape of it-- does look like silk and so does the sheen. If it's a synthetic (except for the color which I can't judge) it's a lovely one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
[URL='----']----[/URL] Is this the second dress you are referring to? It doesn't look like silk to me right off, but it could be the sewing too. The seams on the skirt look like they need pressing or something and so it's interfering with seeing how the fabric is draping.It could be a mikado silk though, instead of a satin. I'm not as good at judging those at all.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
That's the one Gypsy, thanks.

Tracked down the dress above and apparently it's "Silk gazar". I'm going to investigate the silk option further. The synthetic fabric she likes is really really nice, BUT I think maybe silk would look more amazing if the price isn't TOO crazy. I do want to avoid the shinny shinny satin look at all costs.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Silk Mikado is much thicker in texture. I actually love silk mikado, but it's one you need to see and feel in person. It has a texture to it that I adore.

The above dress could possibly be silk, it's hard to find in pictures. I have seen silk dyed white by some bridal lines. Natural silk color is about the shade of an ivory dress.

Have you thought about Shantung, if Dupioni is too costly?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
4ever|1320952633|3058822 said:
That's the one Gypsy, thanks.

Tracked down the dress above and apparently it's "Silk gazar". I'm going to investigate the silk option further. The synthetic fabric she likes is really really nice, BUT I think maybe silk would look more amazing if the price isn't TOO crazy. I do want to avoid the shinny shinny satin look at all costs.

Silk Gazar (Silk Ga-ZAR) A four-ply silk organza favored by couturiers for its light weight and translucency.

That just seems like the wrong fabric choice for such a fitted dress. I'd prefer silk satin for that style over gazar.

I would ask about Silk Mikado (although the polyester of Mikado when done well is incredibly close to the silk and is one of my favorite synthetics) if you want something stiff and thicker.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Urrr, thanks ladies.... This confirms I know nothing about fabrics. Help! :o

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My grandmother sewed all the time when I was growing up. My mom and aunt are very good with it. So I was in and out of fabric stores growing up and I love fabric. I even have some framed on my wall right now. I learned the basics and then took advanced lessons when I was in law school. It was my hobby. So when I was wedding dress shopping the uses of the different fabrics fascinated me. :read:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
q...if your shoes and your dress are both white/ivory...do they need to match? my shoes are lighter/whiter than my dress...wondering if i should return them?

4ever

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to say without seeing them together if it looks ok for your shoes and dress to be slightly different whites/ivories. I'm sure it's probably fine, you wont be seeing the shoes a lot under a long dress anyway and I wouldn't think it would be that easy to find an exact colour match unless you are taking swatches out with you shopping.

The dressmaker is getting back to me about the price of the dress in silk once she talks to her silk supplier on Monday. She said the fabric we have chosen at this point is a "cathedral satin" and thinks they dress would look good in either fabric.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so I'm back on the wedding planning wagon again. Last time thank goodness.

Good stuff:

we had to switch venues to a much smaller (but much nicer) hotel ballroom so we are only having 300 guests instead of thousands. Yay!!

I have a dress already.

I don't have to worry about sorting out the catering, my parents will do all that.

Bad stuff:

They still haven't sorted invitations. It's on the 29th of December. I'm going to end up doing digital invites as there's so little time now :angryfire:

They haven't booked my photographer or make up artist (I'm going to have to sort out that too!)

The decor will be horrid as my mother is in charge (she does everything very last minute. Like the night before she'll think about flowers. I kid you not)

Minor worries:

All eleven of my cousins (ages 23 to 3) want to be bridesmaids. I will get them to vaguely wear the same colour and that's about it. Thankfully flowers are dead cheap back home.

Anyway I'm laid back about the whole thing as ive had my "real wedding" already and this is my parents' party. :sun:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1321204174|3060845 said:
Ok, so I'm back on the wedding planning wagon again. Last time thank goodness.

Good stuff:

we had to switch venues to a much smaller (but much nicer) hotel ballroom so we are only having 300 guests instead of thousands. Yay!!

I have a dress already.

I don't have to worry about sorting out the catering, my parents will do all that.

Bad stuff:

They still haven't sorted invitations. It's on the 29th of December. I'm going to end up doing digital invites as there's so little time now :angryfire:

They haven't booked my photographer or make up artist (I'm going to have to sort out that too!)

The decor will be horrid as my mother is in charge (she does everything very last minute. Like the night before she'll think about flowers. I kid you not)

Minor worries:

All eleven of my cousins (ages 23 to 3) want to be bridesmaids. I will get them to vaguely wear the same colour and that's about it. Thankfully flowers are dead cheap back home.

Anyway I'm laid back about the whole thing as ive had my "real wedding" already and this is my parents' party. :sun:

ooh rosetta...sounds like fun :) is this in a different country? or just different guests? or just a second awesome party?

good news...decided the shoes looked OK with my dress. It's not like anyone will be looking at my shoes and asking if they match my dress anyway...they will be hidden by the dress. And the shoes looked pretty good with it...I think the first time I saw it was just in some weird lighting.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Dressmaker has quoted me $350 (NZD) more for the same dress in silk satin (she thinks the heaviest silk would be too thick).

I'm going to see a sample first but that seems pretty reasonable.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Slg: it's another awesome party in another country, the country of my mother's birth so we are going all out traditional. I'll post pics when it's done, I can't wait! A bit sad that my wedding will be officially over then, but hey I got to be a bride 3 times, got to wear 4 different outfits and 4 pairs of awesome shoes. I can't complain! :cheeky:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OK well yesterday was our 6 month mark...lots to do! The bridesmaids have picked their dresses and are ordering tomorrow...despite my plan to have mismatched dresses, everyone picked the same dress! (which really is fine...just funny! the most important thing to me was that they were all comfortable and felt good in the dress)

Over Christmas break we are doing our menu tasting, meeting with the officiant (the second one...first one didn't work out...) and taking engagement pics...I need to find an outfit! We are also going to our rehearsal dinner venue to talk with the guy there about the logistics...unfortunately it seems that there is only one food line (BBQ), which could be tough with 150...not sure how that is going to work so we will discuss other options.

How is everyone else's wedding planning coming along??

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Christmas is going to be a busy trip for me too, slg! I can't wait to see your e-pics! That's so funny about your BMs. What dress did they choose?

We'll be meeting with the venue to discuss logistics with tables, meal, etc. We also will be meeting with our band to go over our general outline and give them a "must haves" list. That should be pretty fun.

I met with the lady who is doing our invitations last week. She had some really cute ideas involving stripes- I'm excited to see the proof in December. If we don't like them, I already have a more traditional invitation picked out from Carlson Craft.

Finally, December 30th, someone is throwing us a pretty good sized couples shower. It's going to be pretty awesome to get gifts five days after Christmas! I still haven't figured out WTH to wear to this thing.. Evening, cocktail kinda party, but it's a shower. Is it OK to wear a cocktail dress, or is that overdoing it?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think it's ok to wear a cocktail dress...since it's in the evening? Especially since it's a shower for you, I think you can be more dressed up...as long as you feel comfortable!

here is the dress they chose...my maid of honor said she hated it in the pictures but really liked it on. I think it'll be cute but I will definitely need another sash-tying lesson!

bridesmaiddress.jpg

in this color
peacock%20duppioni.jpg

4ever

Ideal_Rock
OU - Rock a cocktail dress if that's what you want to wear, I don't think it's over the top, just classy. You can also dress down a cocktail dress by avoiding accessories which are too sparkly and wearing lower shoes if its looking a bit overdressed.

slg- I love the teal colour!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Love your BM dress slg!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
slg, those dresses are really cute! Great color, that's one that many people wear well.

I'm glad you girls don't think a cocktail dress is over the top. I'm sure it comes as no surprise, but I love to dress up!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Im meeting with our florist in a couple of weeks and as I know you all have amazing taste I wanted to see what you thought first since my current preferred options are a little unusual.

Both my parents want to walk me down the aisle (I haven't agreed yet because I always imagined my Dad would do it) so I'm thinking, with a parent on each arm, seams silly to spend a couple hundred bucks on a bouquet thats not really getting shown off. I don't want to spend ALOT on flowers and I do like things a little less traditional.... so at the moment I'm thinking a classy wrist corsage for me (big blooms, not too fussy) and a slightly smaller/more colored version for my BM and either wrist or pin on for my Mum and Fis Mum, plus matching button holes for Fi, BM, My dad and his dad.

Then for centre pieces, we will have long tables and a fairly cosey, dimly lit room. I have collected matching old jars and bought some white piller candles for them in different sizes so the reception will be entirely candle lit except for the fairy lights on the ceiling. I do want SOME flowers on the tables but I don't like rose petals everywhere and I do want all the jars to have candles (I dont want to break up the uniformity with some of the jars having only flowers). So what I think I would really like is to have some of the jars - say two larger ones in the middle of different sizes and one near each end- have flowers in a wrist corsage style (a couple of big blooms on ribbon) tied around the neck of the jar. Nothing too fussy, ivory and/or pale pink.

I don't know exactly what flowers yet, I'm waiting to see what she recommends and whats going to be cheap/in season.

Cake will be the same, a small cluster of large flowers on the top. Simple.

What do you think? Too weird?

candle jar centerpeices.jpg

mudbrickpotagerpistronight.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
4ever, love the idea of the flowers tied around the jars... They could be tied on with raffia or something similar. You would need a flower that wouldn't need to be in water to look pretty for hours.

The only thing that I'm not 100% sold on is the bridesmaids not having bouquets. I'm a worry wart and I feel awkward in crowds. Any time I've been a bridesmaid I've been very grateful for the bouquet that I could hold on to for dear life. Could you just have little posies for them? Also, I know you will have to hold on to both parents, but are you sure you wont want a bouquet for any pictures? They also can be used on tables afterward.

I'm not trying to talk you into them-- do what you want-- but I just thought I'd give you some food for thought.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1322672434|3071607 said:
4ever, love the idea of the flowers tied around the jars... They could be tied on with raffia or something similar. You would need a flower that wouldn't need to be in water to look pretty for hours.

The only thing that I'm not 100% sold on is the bridesmaids not having bouquets. I'm a worry wart and I feel awkward in crowds. Any time I've been a bridesmaid I've been very grateful for the bouquet that I could hold on to for dear life. Could you just have little posies for them? Also, I know you will have to hold on to both parents, but are you sure you wont want a bouquet for any pictures? They also can be used on tables afterward.

I'm not trying to talk you into them-- do what you want-- but I just thought I'd give you some food for thought.

yeah, you could always do a smaller, less expensive bouquet if you wanted to...it definitely doesn't have to cost hundreds of dollars...I am having both parents (well my mom and her ex bf) walk me and I am having a bouquet!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for replying guys, I appreciate your honesty. I only have one BM and I will ask her what she thinks and if she really wants a bouquet. I like how they look, but overall don't think they're very me, too bridal if that makes sense? It like, I like the look of veils on other people, but on me I feel like I'm playing dress ups.

OU - I have thought that as a BM I would like something to hold onto in a crowd, but I was thinking a pretty clutch with the corsage would do the trick (see below). Also we will have max 33 guests in total and she will know 3/4 of them already so it's a different kind of vibe to most weddings. Good point about choosing flowers which won't need a drink to look good all night.

slg- If I did a traditional bouquet (which I'm not ruling out) I probably would want something reasonable large because I would want it to be to scale - I'm 5"10 and am planning some tall shoes, I think a little bouquet would look odd. Also I have expensive taste, which makes wedding budgeting really annoying because I just don't want to compromise on the "look".

I also know Americans have a "prom" association with wrist corsages but in NZ we have school balls not proms and no one wears a corsage so they don't have that same association.

I have a couple of weeks to think about it so I'm open to more suggestions. I wish I could show you a picture of what I'm thinking of with the jars, because in my mind I can imagine it perfectly and it looks amazing but I've never seen anything like it.

Pinned Image-1.jpeg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1322681654|3071698 said:
Thanks for replying guys, I appreciate your honesty. I only have one BM and I will ask her what she thinks and if she really wants a bouquet. I like how they look, but overall don't think they're very me, too bridal if that makes sense? It like, I like the look of veils on other people, but on me I feel like I'm playing dress ups.

OU - I have thought that as a BM I would like something to hold onto in a crowd, but I was thinking a pretty clutch with the corsage would do the trick (see below). Also we will have max 33 guests in total and she will know 3/4 of them already so it's a different kind of vibe to most weddings. Good point about choosing flowers which won't need a drink to look good all night.

slg- If I did a traditional bouquet (which I'm not ruling out) I probably would want something reasonable large because I would want it to be to scale - I'm 5"10 and am planning some tall shoes, I think a little bouquet would look odd. Also I have expensive taste, which makes wedding budgeting really annoying because I just don't want to compromise on the "look".

I also know Americans have a "prom" association with wrist corsages but in NZ we have school balls not proms and no one wears a corsage so they don't have that same association.

I have a couple of weeks to think about it so I'm open to more suggestions. I wish I could show you a picture of what I'm thinking of with the jars, because in my mind I can imagine it perfectly and it looks amazing but I've never seen anything like it.

ok you convinced me...those wrist corsages are GORGEOUS!!!! love love love :)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Corsage looks cute! I like the idea of a clutch to, uh, clutch on to! ;-)

I can picture the jars with the flowers really well. It would be cute with magnolia or something full and beautiful. I just don't remember enough from my days at the florist what would work....

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I know right! Super cute! And everyone could do with another sparkly clutch in their wardrobe!

I'm imagining it a bit like a small version of the flowers below (but different colours) on ribbon ....but instead of being tired onto boxes, tied around the neck of a big jar with a big candle inside. Yes yes?

109174-beautiful-wedding-flower-centerpieces-2.jpeg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I AM GETTING MARRIED FOUR MONTHS FROM TODAY!!!

Can you tell I'm excited? I can't wait. I am so, so, so tired of living 2 hours apart. I also am dying to be in Italy for our honeymoon. I am just bursting with excitement today!

How is everything coming along for everyone else?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
12 days till my final wedding reception.

We are probably getting a number of ministers and other politicians attending so security has to be tight. I don't want the press to get through and my photos to be all over the local rags.

Looks like about 300 guests in total.

Going to pick up my brooch bouquet today (pic to follow)

Honeymoon in Bali all sorted.

Need travel insurance, some mosquito repellant and a shellac manicure and I'm all set.

I fly on Boxing day :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results