shape
carat
color
clarity

flower girl baskets for outdoor ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
FSIL who is also one of my bridesmaids questioned me when I told her we are using flower girl baskets with fake flower petals for our outdoor ceremony. She says "you aren''t going to have them carry flower arrangements? you may not want them throwing out petals down the isle since it''s outside and you''ll have to pick all of them up" I mean really, is it really the end of the world if someone has to pick them up? Someone will have to pick up the aisle runner too. Fake flower petals aren''t poison, is it really going to hurt anyone? I''m getting really annoyed with her questioning everything I want to do!!

So basically, have any of you used flower baskets for your outdoor ceremony??

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
that''s what i am going to do, but we are using actual flower petals, so i see no harm in that, is there a reason you are using fake flower petals? my little cousin is my flower girl and she''s only 3 so i don''t think a flower arrangement would really work for her, her daddy is walking her down the aisle to kind of help the process along
3.gif

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
No real reason....I just saw navy blue fake petals that matched our colors for the wedding, so I bought them. But then again navy blue isn't a natural flower color so I may switch to real petals. I guess that would make more sense. But I will not admit that to her! haha

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
haha, that''s understandable, i''m sure she''s trying to be helpful but some people tend to overstep their boundaries at times
3.gif

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
Oh she''s queen of that! I told my mom I didn''t want to ask her any questions because I would open up the floodgate of drama....good thing I have a boat
3.gif

Thanks for replying!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 12:40:36 PM
Author: Missy0483
No real reason....I just saw navy blue fake petals that matched our colors for the wedding, so I bought them. But then again navy blue isn't a natural flower color so I may switch to real petals. I guess that would make more sense. But I will not admit that to her! haha
We had a navy blue color scheme in our wedding, and our flowers were peach, creams, light pinks and light yellows. It looked amazing to have the soft color contrast to such a dark color.

Have you considered any of those colors to be able to use real flowers?

ETA: duh, i forgot they're in my av. haha.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
oh i agree with cammy, especially if it''s down a grassy path, the light colors would make a good contrast

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
We are using a white aisle runner. Our bouqet flowers are blue hydrangea, purple/blue iris, white roses and yellow roses. We''ll see I still have time to change my mind about the petals. Thank you for the suggestions!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
ooh i see, is it an option to use a combo of different flower petals? your wedding is a week after mine so now i''m worrying about my flowers
3.gif

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
Uh oh I''m sorry to get you worried! I''m going to stick with the navy and be done with it! With my luck I''d worry about it so much and neither of my flower girls would want to throw them down the aisle anyway!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I am making a real touch flower pomander very similar to this one.

Our flower girl is 5 and behaves as if she is 3...so I am just going to give her this instead of buying a basket and counting on her to drop real or fake petals.

It''s annoying that someone is trying to tell you what you "should" do for your own wedding! I would be very aggravated!
29.gif

pinkpomander09.jpg

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Awww! There is nothing cuter than a flowergirl throwing petals down the isle. And you are right, I am sure there are plenty of friends or family that you can rely upon to pick up a few flower petals. It''s not such a big deal. Don''t stress about her, don''t ask her opinion, just firmly let her know what you have decided and she can get over it
2.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
aw, missy, just stick to your plan and i''m sure it''ll all work out, all these little details will just become one big blur on the wedding day, and like you said, the flower girl might not even throw the petals after all, but hey, that''s the fun of having kids in the wedding party
1.gif

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
My only concern with the fake flower petals would be the fact that it could be considered littering. Where outside is the ceremony? With fakes I would think you really would have to be diligent about picking them up where as with real ones you can leave them be on the ground. Sorry to think of the one point your FSIL may have. Although she didn''t give this argument. The flower petals shouldn''t be a big deal to get ordered from your florist as a last minute addition, they are super easy and usually $20 every where I have been priced at. What ever you choose to do will be fine in the end!

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i agree with ilovesparkles on the littering, but if you decide on the real petals, my florist charged me $15 for the petals and a decorated basket for my flower girl, so not much at all

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a flower girls right of passage to throw petals!
3.gif
ha ha, no seriously though if that is what you want then do it. Who cares if they have to be picked up afterwards? (maybe you should make it FSIL''s job) ha ha just kidding! My flower girl will be throwing frangipani flowers when she walks down the aisle.

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
About the littering thing, you may be right. I''m meeting with the event planner at our venue this coming Thursday so I''ll be able to ask her. Our ceremony is going to be a short one so as long as the wind isn''t really bad that day it shouldn''t be too hard to pick up the loose petals. At least if we don''t use the navy petals for the ceremony, we can have them scattered around on the reception tables or something so it won''t be a total waste.

hawaiianorangetree: That''s a funny idea! I should add fuel to the fire and make her pick them up! hahaha. But then I would be stooping to her level and I''m not going there!
9.gif
One second she says "it''s your wedding you can do what you want" but then the next second Mrs. Opinion comes out...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results