shape
carat
color
clarity

First dress shopping trip, need opinions! (with pictures!!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I love both #1 and #2 on you.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I am a big fan of the Fanal and it gets a lot of love here for a good reason, because it''s a beautiful gown. But, I''m going to be contrary and tentatively say I like #3 the best. It''s hard to tell because you are so tiny and the dresses are sooo huge! So much extra fabric. Did you like the gowns that are fitted through the waist and hip better? #3 seems to have more of an A-line shape.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
#1 looks FAB on you! I love the crumbcatcher on #2 also. Tough call!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
for me, for you i love #1!! i also love the detail on #3 but really think if you want the one that makes your figure look best that''s fanal!!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I like #2 the best on you. I like the extra detail around the bust, it''s still simple and elegant but a bit more different then the 1st dress.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fanal for sure!

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I love #1 the best overall.

That said, #3 I think is lovely except for the ruffling on the bustline (and I am a girl who normally LOVES ruffles) its just too much in this case. If you could combine the bottom half of #3 and the bust area of #1 you''d have a winner as well =)

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
#1!!!!!!!!!!! By far...

lulu

Ideal_Rock
#1, absolutely.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Hey MagsyMay!
35.gif
As a Fanal girl myself, it is a truly lovely dress. I love your number 2 as well. I kind of wish I had gotten it bc it has more interesting details. They are all very similar, it just depends on what you want up top. Number 2 might be a little trendy...those crumb catchers are very pretty, but I wouldn't say they are timeless. I ended up choosing the Fanal myself bc of the timeless factor. I didn't want people to look at my wedding photos and dress and say, "Ohhhh...your dress is SOOO 2009". I got so many compliments in real life witht the Fanal...I know every bride gets compliments, but I really felt glamorous and beautiful in it. Hope that helps!

ETA: The third dress isn't as mermaid on the bottom. I liked the mermaid style with my body shape the best, and you look fantastic in it (#1 and #2)...very glamorous indeed!

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it! I actually did quite like #3, even though it was a bit different, but I didn''t like that it was less fitted through the hips, as I feel like it might have made me look shorter/squatter and a little bit lost in the dress! It was a lighter fabric (not sure what it was), but I did like that as the other two were quite heavy!

I liked #2 and in person the "crumb catcher" blended in and laid flat against my skin so it wasn''t hanging out like I picture some crumb catchers I have seen! I do this it was a little more trendy or modern and might not be so timeless in pictures as the Fanal.

I found a girl selling her Fanal for $600 and she is exactly my height, although her dress was a size 10 but had to be taken in a bit. I''m tempted to buy it from here to save some $$, but the sales girl said I would probably be a 6 or 8, so I wonder if that is too much to take the dress in. Decisions, decisions!

Thank you again for all the help, I really wasn''t expecting the responses to be so overwhelmingly in favor of the Fanal! Gives me much to think about!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Late to the party, but I vote #1 all the way!

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Yet another vote for #1. It looks so perfect on you, it''s like the dress was made for you to wear it.

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I think you have a great body and these dresses don't do show that off as much as your wedding dress should... Of the three, I like the third the best. I think that the first two's skirts are disproportionately narrow if that makes sense? Maybe that is because it is not laying right/fluffed? Also, I think I shopped at the same store! Is it called A joyful occasion?

ETA: I just read that you are 5'1 and that is why the dresses are puddling. I like 1 a lot better having read that...

Princess_Dreamer

Rough_Rock
I''m a fan of #1 out of these three.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Morgie: Yep that's the shop! My parents live fairly close to there, so it was convenient! It was hard to tell how the dresses would look on my figure once they were fitted and properly hemmed. In person, I felt a lot thinner or like the gowns were more flattering on me, but I need to look good in the pictures too!

I did limit the sales girl by telling her a pretty narrow idea of what I liked, so perhaps I need to go do some more shopping and try on other styles/fabrics to see what is most flattering. I'm not the type of girl who will probably have that "a ha" bride moment and know a dress is "the one" so I'm afraid I will end up shopping forever and not really love anything!
40.gif

Oh, and if you have any other good suggestions for bridal shops in the area that you visited, let me know!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
#1 looks like it was made for you but since you posted that you limited the sales person on what style of gowns you tried on I would go back to some salons and give them total control over what they put you in (but perhaps with a few of your ''deal-breakers'' in mind). Could be interested to see what else catches your eye.

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
Magsy - Once I looked at the pics more closely taking into account your height, I think that number 1 looks really great. I also wanted to second what Clairitek said, I thought I would never have that this is the dress moment either. I tried on more than 100 dresses (crazy I know) and had narrowed it down to two. One was at the first store I went to so we went back to look at that dress again. I think that the salesperson could tell I was leaning towards the other dress, so she suggested I try on a few dresses that were different than what I was looking for (I told them a-line/ball gown, sweetheart neck). Anyways, the first one of this new round of dresses, my mom cried. Of over 100 dresses, this was the first/only one that she cried on. I ended up with a vneck fit and flare dress.

As for shops, I had the best experience at Bella Bridal in St. Charles. It was a really cute shop and the salesgirl I had was super patient and helpful, I was disappointed that I didn''t find anything there because it was such a good experience. In the end, I got mine at Wosfelt. I can''t say that I would necessarily recommend them though. They do not like to release the name of the designer (they say they are all ''local'' designers, which left a really bad taste in my mouth. I actually did end up fidning out the designer, when I was concerned about something in the alterations process, then I ended up forgetitng it. In the end, though, that was the dress I wanted, and I didn''t care what designer it was.

They definitely carry La Sposa/San Patrick dresses, as well as whatever brand my dress was (another Spanish designer that I forgot the name of) that have similar styles to those that you tried on.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 10:19:17 PM
Author: MagsyMay
I found a girl selling her Fanal for $600 and she is exactly my height, although her dress was a size 10 but had to be taken in a bit. I''m tempted to buy it from here to save some $$, but the sales girl said I would probably be a 6 or 8, so I wonder if that is too much to take the dress in. Decisions, decisions!

In case you do end up going to the Fanal I wouldn''t be too concerned with sizing a 10 down to an 8 or 6. I was talking to a girl about her Jim Hjelm 8709 which has a ton of layers and gorgeous lace appliques. The girl I spoke to had sized a 12 or something down to a 2 and you couldn''t tell one bit from her pics. I figure if a dress that complicated can be sized down that drastically then the Fanal can as well. You could also find a really skilled seamstress in your area (perhaps try Knot boards or Wedding Bee) and go consult with them with a photo of you in the dress and any other pics you can dig up online of other views.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 is STUNNING on you!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
my vote is #1. followed by #2. i''m not a fan of #3 compared to the other two.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Fanal, followed very closely by the Lizana! I''ve been a huge fan of the Fanal though ever since I saw it on Lanie.
MagsyMay, you''ve got a great figure and both of these dresses are super flattering so you could easily pick either and look amazing!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love number 1 as well-it really defines your waist. I do like number 2 as well but not as much as number 1

luvbug

Shiny_Rock
I think #1 does the most for you by far, really defines your waist. It never hurts to look more and open yourself up to more styles and fabrics as you said. You have such a great figure there''s probably not much that wouldn''t work for you, which can make it harder.
You never know what you''re going to love! This coming from another bride who finally had an ah-ha after seven months of visiting every dress store I could find
1.gif

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Mag,

You got a great body shape. Looks like we both have the same body shape but yours is better. Recently a bridal salon lady advise me to go with a trumpet style dress. Chances are you will look good in most dresses because you have a great body to start with. So, if you want to reveal more body silhoutte, pls go with trumpet or mermaid, basically a fit and flare dresses.

Pls do try more more more dress.

I made a mistake of buying the third dress I tried only to find out two weeks later that I don''t like it anymore. I bought my dress for less than $300. So cost wise I don''t break the bank but still I cringe everytime I remember this.

BTW, I like all three dresses on you but if I have to choose one of those three, I have to see you in more other dresses because all these three carries the same theme. So, Happy Hunting!!!!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results