shape
carat
color
clarity

Filene''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s Basement Bridal Event: AKA Running of the Brides

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
I went to the R.O.B. here at the Boston Filene's Basement today, and figured you all might find it interesting information. I've done it before, but not for "real"...meaning getting there early, waiting in line with a group, etc.

Points of Interest
  • We got there at 4:15am, and there were about 30 people in line already, and when the doors open at 8, the racks are cleared in about 60 seconds, so suffice to say, it's worth going early.
  • There wasn't all the pushing/shoving you would expect. The wait went by quickly, it was like tailgating or waiting for concert tickets. When the doors were about to open, a woman tried to cut the line and was given the bum rush by security which was fair. In general people were polite throughout, it wasn't as aggressive and frantic as I was expecting.
  • I wasn't looking for myself since my wedding isn't for over a year and I haven't ever tried on a dress. I just wanted to scope out a real strategy for my turn and help out my friends...but oh my was it tempting once I was in there because there were SO MANY gorgeous dresses for so cheap. I was good and played my role of the helper though.
  • Our group was interviewed by TV stations twice, partially I think because the friends I was helping are lesbians who are getting married to each other (MA allows gay marriage), so that's still a novelty for a lot of people (though lots of fun for me since I get TWO wedding buddies all at once). Incidentally, there was this hateful woman in front of us who said some very nasty things while they were doing the interview, and they had to restart. First time I've ever seen that kind of prejudice in action, it really turned my stomach that someone couldn't mind their own business and let my friends enjoy a very exciting day.
  • As soon as you get in get as many dresses as you can, doesn't matter what size or style. There will be a few in the pile worth trying on and then you'll have extras to trade.
  • Be selective about trading - I know it sounds mean, but other people will be and if you give away your great dresses in exchange for crap, soon no one will trade with you - white strapless A-Lines are solid trading gold.
  • I loved the matching shirts/hats people were wearing. We just did bunny ears, but when my group goes I'd like to do shirts as well, it's a festive party atmosphere.
  • It's kind of sad how some of the dresses get trampled...so I guess this is more a PSA than advice, but take the extra moment (or have a helper do it) to put the dress back in the bag so it doesn't get dragged around.
  • Bring as many people as you can - there is a lot to do and you really can't have too many if you want to find that perfect dress. Jobs include dresser, trader, sorter, and not least - guard
  • Which brings me to the only negative aspect of the day...it's a pretty big negative: one of my friends found The Dress. Gorgeous strapless ivory A-Line with a triple tiered chiffon/satin skirt, wonderful embroidery/beading/train...the whole shebang - $4500 -> $250...and it was stolen right in front of her. She had set it down right beside her, turned to help rebag another dress, and a girl who had been sharing our mirror the WHOLE TIME (basically casing the joint), grabbed it, walked to another mirror, put it on, announced it was perfect and that she was taking it. First we were speechless, then we were pissed, but she wouldn't budge on the issue, claimed since we weren't physically holding it, it was up for grabs. Zero Shame. We wished her a happy divorce, she's obviously not a good person and thus has problems no dress will solve, whereas we can keep shopping, and that was that. Very sad.
    38.gif
    7.gif

Oh, and one last thing - take the day off...you will be done by 10am, but you'll be so tired it'll feel like 10pm. Despite going to be at 7pm I feel like I got run over by a truck. That's one mistake I won't make twice. I'm sure I've left out information (tired and all) so feel free to ask any questions you like.

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
I think I''d have a heart attack in that pool of running brides.
32.gif
Sounds crazy/chaotic (warzone brides stepping on wedding gowns) and fun (coz you are with your friends) at the same time. I can''t believe that that two faced b!@tch stole your friends'' dress. That''s not fair!
38.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you had fun!! Minus the dress stealing btch and those ignorant people making comments about your friends, ugh!

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the report, blue chica! I can''t believe that girl did that to you guys. What a horrid thing to do!! Grrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!
38.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
OooooOOOOOOOooooo I''d be SO MAD at the mean biotch!!!!!! I woulda tried to snatch that dress back from her!! I just went wedding dress shopping all day so maybe I''m being a bit ''snarky'' but boy that just *&SF)@$#@!!
9.gif

RMFA

Rough_Rock
Blue Chica,

Were there a variety of sizea available? I am deciding if I want to go to the one in NYC, but am afraid there will not be any in my size. I am looking for a bridal size 12/14ish......were there very many available?

Thanks for the wonderful information!

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Hi RMFA - There were lots and lots of sizes, including 10s and 12s and 14s. Good luck, my friends are going to that one too to try again for a dress.

RMFA

Rough_Rock
Thanks I am definately going to go! I have my "team" ready for action! At the very least, I know it will be an experience of a lifetime!
26.gif

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to the NYC "running" as well!!! I can''t wait!!!! Does anyone know which designers they carry and are the dresses in good condition?

Right now, I have no team
8.gif
. My mom will be in FL so if anyone wants to join me, please don''t be shy! :)

-lovey

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Lovey - the dresses were in good condition when we got there, the occasional one was a little dirty. If NYC is the same as Boston, there is a vault section with couture dresses for $700. I didn''t really notice the designers because I don''t know that much about wedding dresses yet, so I can''t help ya there.

Have fun though!

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of mine just drove up from New York to Boston for FB sale. She said it was a mad house but totally worth it. She got a couture dress for $700 and she''s size 14 in bridal gowns so they definitely carry larger sizes. I can only imagine the New YOrk one will be like but I''m sure it worth a try.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Blue Chica --

I loved your commentary! Do they have these bridal gown sales everywhere? How do I find out about them?

Your story was awesome except for the stealing and prejudice but it sounds like you and your friends kept a great attitude (which is the most important thing!).

Should people have an idea of what looks good on them, etc. BEFORE going to one of these things? Do they limit the number of people that can go in? (I''m getting frantic just talking about it!!)
3.gif

And that girl who stole the dress! SHE HAS SOME NERVE! Talk about bride-zilla.
29.gif
I don''t think it''s smart for her to build up bad karma going into a marriage. Plus how can you NOT feel bad knowing that you stole someone else''s dress!!! Some people are just morally void.
38.gif

Back to the good parts... I love the bunny ears
36.gif

Did you friends end up finding something besides the dress that was stolen?

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
A-ha! The VAULT section. I'm going to wear running shoes, sweats, a sports bra and my game face. lol!

cool!!!!!!
3.gif

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
snow happy - Definitely having a good attitude is essential, because it could be stressful if you didn''t. We figure that girl who stole the dress really does have bigger problems that no dress will fix, so my friend is alright about it now. It''s still very sad though.
38.gif
They didn''t find anything else. There was another potential candidate for L (the one whose dress was stolen), but they had given that one away since they thought they were done looking, and C didn''t find what she was looking for. She since has, I think she just needed to see more dresses, which is why I say it''s a good idea to know a little bit before you go.

I would definitely recommend having an idea of what looks good on you and what you want (sleeves? A-Line? Ball-gown? etc) before you go, but don''t be too rigid, because there are a lot of gorgeous dresses to go through that might not perfectly fit the picture in your head but WILL perfectly fit you. That''s a big part of why I wasn''t looking for myself, I wanted to have a looksee in a more relaxed environment first.

They don''t limit the number of people who can go in the store, I don''t think...but since the racks are cleared in under a minute, if you''re not in the first rush it may not be worth it to go until 10 when things start settling down and ending back on the racks. Or it may be different in NYC?

The bunny ears were fun, and the t-shirts are fun too. Some people think they''re dumb and sorority-ish or something, but what the hell, you''re getting up at 3 to go shopping people, it''s ALREADY dumb, at least make it fun.
2.gif

So final advice, stay calm...really...it''s nice to get a dress there, but there ARE other options, so don''t panic if it''s just not happening. And don''t steal any dresses!
2.gif

Lovey - Definitely heading for the vault is a great idea. I can just picture the game face now...get out her way!!! Are you still going by yourself?

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
Blue chica

I've got a team of two now!! My MOH has volunteered herself!!! Can't wait. I love the thrill of the hunt! We're just going to go with the flow and enjoy the experience. Whether we find something or not..well that's really not the point. It will just be a good time that my MOH (known since first grade) and I will talk about when we're 60... "remember that time when I pole vaulted the aisle to get the strapless chiffon overlay against the back wall of filene's?.....yeah, you so crazy."

-lovey

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone else have any tips for a Running of the Brides experience?
emwink.gif

I may be going to the Maryland one in a few months to help my friend. Would I also be able to try dresses on?
9.gif
Or is it too chaotic?

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Does Filene''s do this event other times in the year? Like maybe in the Fall?

And does anyone have any suggestions for me and the other people going? Can I try dresses on even if I am one of the "dress holders/helpers"? Or is it too crowded and crazy at these events?

filene05.JPG

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
Check the Filene''s site for info. Honestly, it was fun to do this with my MOH, but I didn''t find anything. Or if I found something it was damaged or dirty. There were some interesting designer names: Romona Keveza, Carolina Herrera..but 75% of the inventory wasn''t really that great.

You may be better off going directly to designer sample sales. They are always having these in NYC..there is also an entire building devoted to bridal (and they are open to the public on Sat). I think Priscilla of Boston is having a sample sale right now...

good luck!

KSparkles

Rough_Rock
I feel like I haven''t posted here in forever! I went to the Boston Filene''s sale last Friday and got my Romona Keveza there - I LOVE it. I was actually in love w/ a Marisa dress that was too expensive so I tried to forget it and move on. I somehow managed to find a dress that I love even more (thought it was impossible!) and I want to wear it all the time - I find myself making excuses to try it on like every night.

I got to the sale around 2:30 (I popped in alone after work) and miraculously there was my beautiful dress in immaculate condition - it just needs to be taken in one size and have a button sewed on. It was originally $3000+ but it was only $699 at the sale. All the dresses were back on the rack by the time I got there, and there weren''t tons of girls there anymore. The haute couture gowns in "the vault" were almost all gone by that time, but there were tons of the regular gowns left. I would go around late morning (maybe 10:00) if you''re alone, because it sounds really stressful to go in the morning by yourself. Good luck to anyone who goes in NYC - let us know how it turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results