shape
carat
color
clarity

Fake eyelashes, or eyelash extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I love the way my lashes look when I get fake ones put on but they are a pain in the butt and feel kind of weird. I have very short sparse eyelashses with no curl. I''d been getting them permed which helped but won''t be enough volume for the wedding.

Has anyone done eyelash extensions? I hear they''re amazing but I''m wondering if it''s worth it to get them for the wedding for the sake of comfort/not having to wear fake lashes. Did anyone wear fake lashes and have any bad experiences with that?

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I had eyelash extensions. They looked great. First, you need to know that you cannot wear mascara on top of them. I got annoyed when I was washing my face because I couldn''t scrub it like normal. I also found them a little uncomfortable to sleep with.

They also didn''t last 6 weeks as promised.. More like 3. But, I went to a great salon that gave me some money back.

All in all, the experience wasn''t horrible, but I also haven''t gone back for more. They were very pretty and I got a TON of compliments!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
That''s good to know about the three weeks... I''ll consider getting them done sooner if that''s the case. Also I had no idea you couldn''t wear mascara over them! I guess you don''t need it?

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t worn either before but definitely plan to for the wedding b/c I love the way they bring out your eyes. I also have thin Asian lashes, so they could use the extra oomph :)

I was asking an MUA about the difference b/t fake lashes and eyelash extensions (I didn''t even know there was a difference!). Her preference was for false lashes b/c in her opinion they give a more natural but defined look, and apparently also come off easily at night.

She said she''s seen some bad extension jobs that ruined an entire look. Also, for Asians, since we have lashes that go straight down, extensions tend to add more weight and make it even more difficult to curl up. She also mentioned that they''re more maintenance and as OUpeargirl said, you have to be more careful when washing your face.

Hope that helps!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2008 4:17:31 PM
Author: newbie124
I haven''t worn either before but definitely plan to for the wedding b/c I love the way they bring out your eyes. I also have thin Asian lashes, so they could use the extra oomph :)

I was asking an MUA about the difference b/t fake lashes and eyelash extensions (I didn''t even know there was a difference!). Her preference was for false lashes b/c in her opinion they give a more natural but defined look, and apparently also come off easily at night.

She said she''s seen some bad extension jobs that ruined an entire look. Also, for Asians, since we have lashes that go straight down, extensions tend to add more weight and make it even more difficult to curl up. She also mentioned that they''re more maintenance and as OUpeargirl said, you have to be more careful when washing your face.

Hope that helps!
That''s REALLY good to know. I should ask my makeup artist then, she''s also asian so she probably knows what works best. I was getting my eyelashes permed for awhile and then I started getting used to it and thinking i didn''t need it anymore. Just the other day I noticed how horribly straight and down my lashes now are, time to get a perm again. Having asian lashes is definitely a challenge!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea you could perm your eyelashes. I have short sparse little lashes myself.

By the way, I have tried false lashes for different occasions and I thought they weren't that bad. It takes practice getting them on right. My only problem was that the outer edge would poke at my outer lower eyelid a little bit. Maybe I should have trimmed them more the times I wore them. Also, you have to make sure you set the glue good so they don't come off! But if you have a makeup artist, she should be able to apply them perfectly for you.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Permed eyelashes rule! I love it. There''s a woman that does a great job on them in SF. It''s yet another maintenance thing to do though. Eyelash curlers don''t work at all.

I''ve trimmed down fake eyelashes in the past. It takes me like 20x to get them glued on right though. I guess the makeup artist will be able to do it best. I emailed her to find out what she recommends.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
For sure! Its a pain in the butt trying to get them right. lol You will have to let us know what your makeup artist says!

My lashes will curl but I must use the eyelash curler for at least 3 minutes on each eye because it literally seems to take forever to get the suckers to curl!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Falsies! Falsies! The permanent ones aren''t supposed to make your lashes fall out, but I found that they did. The glue is like superglue... very hard and crystalline. I didn''t like it!
31.gif
Use gorgeous falsies for your beautiful day!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Are the ones you get from MAC ok? I've gotten some nice fake ones from MAC before. If not any recommendations?

And that would SUCK if my eyelashes fell out afterwards! I guess this is similar to getting fake nails glued on too. They all do damage.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I really really wanted extensions, so I went in to get them and the lady talked me out of them! She said 1) they wouldn''t do well on our honeymoon (beach, ocean, pool) and that 2) they would start falling out and normally they would recommend that I come back every week or two to get them filled in. I wasn''t up for that kind of upkeep and the expense was significant. She suggested I just use false lashes, and they worked great. I was kind of disapointed at first, and found it kind of hard to get used to the falsies, but she said the extensions would have bothered me the same way (that I could see them).

Also, if your lashes are sparse, the extensions will also be sparse. I would just go with false lashes. She recommended MAC but I couldn''t get them in time, so my makeup artist just used what she had on hand.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I actually have some MAC ones in my drawer that may work but they have a variety of kinds to get so I''ll check with my makeup artist.

clop

Shiny_Rock
Hey, I don''t have specific information - only what I was told by two make up artists/aestheticians.

While I had my trial make up runs, a make up artist and aesthetician both said eyelash extensions were bad/harmful to your eyelashes. They didn''t go into specific details. The aesthetician formerly worked for a salon that specialized in extensions, but stopped offering the service.

Disclaimer: I''m only relaying what was told to me, I would suggest googling, or speaking with a professional to see if there are any adverse affects etc.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
It''s good to know they''re not generally recommended. That''ll save me money for sure!
1.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
My mom wears her extensions all the time. She gets hers redone about every month or so. She has worn them on vacations, etc. The good thing about them is that they are applied individually. The length is selected for each spot to be the right size for your eye. I never noticed the loss of any of my own eyelashes. And, once they started to come off, they were easy to get off using this remover my stylist gave me.

spike13

Shiny_Rock
If you''re in SF, have you ever stopped by the shu uemura boutique on fillmore (and I think Post)?

They specialize in fake eyelashes. They have this kickin eyelash bar where the lashes are in clear lucite cubes so you can hold them up to your eyes and see how they''ll look without really trying them on. They also have the most amazing eyelash curler. Nicky (male) who works there is a genius showing how to do looks.

If that doesn''t work, have you tried using a mascara base? I use this one from Shisedio it helps thicken and lengthen lashes. You apply it before mascara. One trick I also learned was instead of straight strokes, if you wiggle the wand back and forth as you apply then for some magic reason it helps make them look longer and thicker.

I''m the most inept at makeup application and tricks, I also never believe things will really work. I was quite amazed when these things did. Before I discovered the shu eyelash curler I was terrified of the things.

Even if those tips don''t help, I still recommend stopping by the Shu boutique. It''s a very pretty store and all the colors look like candy.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 2:52:22 AM
Author: spike13
If you're in SF, have you ever stopped by the shu uemura boutique on fillmore (and I think Post)?

They specialize in fake eyelashes. They have this kickin eyelash bar where the lashes are in clear lucite cubes so you can hold them up to your eyes and see how they'll look without really trying them on. They also have the most amazing eyelash curler. Nicky (male) who works there is a genius showing how to do looks.

If that doesn't work, have you tried using a mascara base? I use this one from Shisedio it helps thicken and lengthen lashes. You apply it before mascara. One trick I also learned was instead of straight strokes, if you wiggle the wand back and forth as you apply then for some magic reason it helps make them look longer and thicker.

I'm the most inept at makeup application and tricks, I also never believe things will really work. I was quite amazed when these things did. Before I discovered the shu eyelash curler I was terrified of the things.

Even if those tips don't help, I still recommend stopping by the Shu boutique. It's a very pretty store and all the colors look like candy.
I've been by the boutique but never in it. I've read lots of glowing things about their eyelash curler. I know it's supposed to be THE eyelash curler! Since I've been getting my eyelashes permed I decided to forgo buying a new eyelash curler. I love the idea of the eyelash cubes though so I may just have to stop by and check them out! I know my makeup artist uses MAC primarily but if they have great eyelashes they who knows... I may just have her use those! I sent her an email just awhile ago to find out what eyelashes she does use since she also didn't recommend using the extensions.

And yes I do use an eyelash primer. I just have short straight sparse eyelashes. It's genetic! The perming definitely helps.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a bad experience with lash extensions, even though my lashes are long, I fancied trying them out - and my own lashes broke off. So from my experience, I wouldn''t recommend them, but falsies rock once you get the application down. If doing them yourself...

Apply the glue to the lash, then wait a couple of seconds for it to get tacky. Then position the lash in the middle of the eye, wait a couple of seconds for the glue to stick, then press down to fit along the eyelid. Let dry for a few minutes, then you can mascara over the false lash and your own if you wish.

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
I found a salon who does eyelast tinting and I''m thinking about that for the wedding. I have allergies and very sensitive eyes so I have a hard time with eye make-up. How do they perm your eyelashes?

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve used MAC lashes several times and they''ve worked out great. I loved how my eyes popped. Unfortunately, my FI doesn''t like a lot of makeup and says he wants me to look like ME at our wedding. I mentioned fake lashes and he shook his head no. Oh well.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 9:06:41 AM
Author: Laurie2
I found a salon who does eyelast tinting and I''m thinking about that for the wedding. I have allergies and very sensitive eyes so I have a hard time with eye make-up. How do they perm your eyelashes?

Laurie - I used to get my eyelashes tinted! It''s GREAT for sensitive watery (allergy) eyes. And the process is rather relaxing as you sit there with your eyes closed and these cold pads on them while the tint works. It''s great! It doesn''t make them thicker or longer, like mascara, but it is a great casual look without makeup.

spike13

Shiny_Rock
Talk about good timing...

I just got an email this morning from Shu Uemura saying that every thursday 5-7pm until July 31st they''re giving away free eyelashes and complimentary eyelash application at the boutiques as part of their 25th anniversary of the Tokyo store. You have to call to make an appointment.

Here''s a link to the boutiques.http://www.shuuemura-usa.com/Content/salons.aspx#

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I found a salon who does eyelast tinting and I'm thinking about that for the wedding. I have allergies and very sensitive eyes so I have a hard time with eye make-up. How do they perm your eyelashes?
She puts some heavy plastic or rubber over my eyes, then puts another piece of plastic or rubber I don't know what that holds on to both my upper and lower lashes as I'm laying down. She then applies some sort of base then a perm solution over that. Reminds me of of the smell of a hair salon in the 80's! Anyways it's great. Doesn't irritate my eyes at all.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 2:02:54 PM
Author: violet02

I found a salon who does eyelast tinting and I'm thinking about that for the wedding. I have allergies and very sensitive eyes so I have a hard time with eye make-up. How do they perm your eyelashes?
She puts some heavy plastic or rubber over my eyes, then puts another piece of plastic or rubber I don't know what that holds on to both my upper and lower lashes as I'm laying down. She then applies some sort of base then a perm solution over that. Reminds me of of the smell of a hair salon in the 80's! Anyways it's great. Doesn't irritate my eyes at all.
Laurie- I have sensitive eyes myself (I think mainly from my contacts) and if this is how they give eyelash perms, I would stay away. Sensitive eyes would surely get irritated from this. If they are using a perm solution, that is a chemical and you could have a reaction. Did you know they sell heated eyelash curlers? I've never tried them myself....

This is interesting to hear about eyelash extensions. I considered doing this once but now it sounds like too much of a hassle lol

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 3:28:15 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

Date: 6/11/2008 2:02:54 PM
Author: violet02

She puts some heavy plastic or rubber over my eyes, then puts another piece of plastic or rubber I don''t know what that holds on to both my upper and lower lashes as I''m laying down. She then applies some sort of base then a perm solution over that. Reminds me of of the smell of a hair salon in the 80''s! Anyways it''s great. Doesn''t irritate my eyes at all.
Laurie- I have sensitive eyes myself (I think mainly from my contacts) and if this is how they give eyelash perms, I would stay away. Sensitive eyes would surely get irritated from this. If they are using a perm solution, that is a chemical and you could have a reaction. Did you know they sell heated eyelash curlers? I''ve never tried them myself....

This is interesting to hear about eyelash extensions. I considered doing this once but now it sounds like too much of a hassle lol
I wasn''t recommending having her try them just explaining how it works. The solution doesn''t go anywhere near my eyes since she has them fully covered up and that keeps any fumes away from it. My eyes are allergic to things and I''ve had a few issues with other types of makeup but overall it''s been fine.

I definitely think if you have an issue with most eye type makeups that you most likely won''t want to try something like that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I''m going with flasies. My lashes look good with Mascara and a good curling but I want something exagerrated for my wedding especially at the outer end of my eyes. I''m not an upkeep person and having anything on for longer than one "performance" would bug me.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Spike - I just called and asked about the "25th anniversary promotion" - I guess in SF it is a little bit different...they are having cocktails and a sushi chef! I just RSVPed =)

spike13

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 9:53:52 PM
Author: rockzilla
Spike - I just called and asked about the ''25th anniversary promotion'' - I guess in SF it is a little bit different...they are having cocktails and a sushi chef! I just RSVPed =)

OOh that sounds like fun. I will call tomorrow to RSVP.

If folks are up for a meet up that would be fun.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 10:04:14 PM
Author: Gypsy
Rockzilla, you up for company? If you are... it sounds like fun!

I think I want to get these. (Violet just bop me for the threadjack) http://www.shuuemura-usa.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?CategoryID=456&ProductID=970 These are the ones I''m considering for the wedding. Too much?
That does sound like fun!

No bopping! I think you''d have to see those lashes in person to see if they are too much. As I''ve said been by their shops but never in. It''s pricey and MAC is already pricey enough so I try to steer myself clear of places I have the potential to go nuts in, hehe.

Turns out my MUA is very picky about the falsies she applies so she has her own type that she likes to use. Whatever works!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results