shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress "Shopping": Just for Fun???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
So I''m eloping and have my dress. But some good and goofy girlfriends want to take me dress "shopping" to try on some stuff. I think it would be fun and all, but I don''t want to waste a shop''s time with my silliness. What do you think??

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote no. I''d hate to waste anyone''s time when I wasn''t seriously shopping.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 10:06:59 AM
Author: elledizzy5
I vote no. I'd hate to waste anyone's time when I wasn't seriously shopping.
Yeah. Plus, what would happen if you tried something on and really, really loved it? Unless you'd actually potentially buy a dress when going shopping with your girls, I'd say pass on dress shopping together and go shopping for accessories instead. Shoes, veils, tiaras, handbags? You can shop for those together instead, maybe, even if you don't plan on wearing/using them all.
1.gif

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
The point, as I understand my friends, was to be silly. And all the other shopping stuff (well, undies
31.gif
) have been done with my FI as he has a very specific idea of how he wants me to look.

Sigh. How do I let my friends down easy??? A group of them think it is a great idea and are all excited to do it.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
if you decide to, make an appointment with kleinfelds....because we know that half of those brides do it for fun, and we might get to see you on tv :)!!!!!!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 10:14:46 AM
Author: LitigatorChick
The point, as I understand my friends, was to be silly. And all the other shopping stuff (well, undies
31.gif
) have been done with my FI as he has a very specific idea of how he wants me to look.

Sigh. How do I let my friends down easy??? A group of them think it is a great idea and are all excited to do it.
Ok, maybe think of it this way--how would they feel if they were having a hard time finding their wedding dress, it was getting to be crunch time for ordering, and they couldn't book appointments because the salons were full up--and then they found out some of those slots were being taken up by people who had no intention of buying but just thought it would be a hoot to try on some big dresses?

It's just not terribly considerate.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
i''d say go for it
2.gif

and i second what cocolaw said: go to kleinfeld''s. not everyone who goes there actually buys a dress because they''re way over priced!

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 10:17:58 AM
Author: gwendolyn

31.gif

Ok, maybe think of it this way--how would they feel if they were having a hard time finding their wedding dress, it was getting to be crunch time for ordering, and they couldn''t book appointments because the salons were full up--and then they found out some of those slots were being taken up by people who had no intention of buying but just thought it would be a hoot to try on some big dresses?

It''s just not terribly considerate.
I guess when you put it that way I have to agree with you, although I DID try on dresses that I had no intention of buying
31.gif
. In my defence, I had to do it so I knew for sure what styles I didn''t like. Am I bad
38.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 11:16:49 AM
Author: Londongirl1

31.gif

Ok, maybe think of it this way--how would they feel if they were having a hard time finding their wedding dress, it was getting to be crunch time for ordering, and they couldn''t book appointments because the salons were full up--and then they found out some of those slots were being taken up by people who had no intention of buying but just thought it would be a hoot to try on some big dresses?

I guess when you put it that way I have to agree with you, although I DID try on dresses that I had no intention of buying
31.gif
. In my defence, I had to do it so I knew for sure what styles I didn''t like. Am I bad
38.gif
If your ultimate goal is to buy a dress, then it''s fine to try on whatever you want! Even ones you think you''d NEVER wear in a million years. If you are going in there JUST to play dress up... you''re wasting someone''s time.

If you just don''t find anything you like, well... that happens!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a really bad idea, especially going to a place like Kleinfeld''s that always really busy. There are plenty of brides there who are actually looking for their dress and if I were one of them I would hate to have my appointment end so a bunch of women can play dress up. Just because other people go there to try on expensive dresses they won''t buy doesn''t mean you should.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock

31.gif

Ok, maybe think of it this way--how would they feel if they were having a hard time finding their wedding dress, it was getting to be crunch time for ordering, and they couldn't book appointments because the salons were full up--and then they found out some of those slots were being taken up by people who had no intention of buying but just thought it would be a hoot to try on some big dresses?

It's just not terribly considerate.

31.gif
. In my defence, I had to do it so I knew for sure what styles I didn't like. Am I bad
38.gif
Hah, no, hon, you're not bad.
3.gif
I tried on dresses I wouldn't buy in a million years to get an idea of what shapes and styles look good on me. There's nothing wrong with that!

Just because you (the general 'you') book an appointment to try on dresses doesn't mean you HAVE to buy one, but booking an appointment when there's absolutely ZERO chance of you buying one is inconsiderate to those who have yet to buy their dresses and who may be under a time crunch (like, I found out that ordering my dress 7 MONTHS in advance is cutting it close, so to make sure I have it, I'm getting the sample). The sole exception to this would be if you know someone who owns a bridal shop, who would let you in after hours or something, where you wouldn't be taking up slots meant for people who actually need to find their dresses.

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
I''d say go for it, but pick a time when they are not busy like a Tuesday afternoon. Also explain that you are not planning to buy that day so they know not to waste the effort talking you into a dress.

I''m this way with cars, the Audi dealership knows to just let me browse and not bother me! I''ll chat them up but as soon as another customer comes into the showroom, I let them do their thing.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t go dress shopping if I had no intention on buying a dress. I''d feel bad for wasting people''s time. Plus, you run the risk of finding something that makes you doubt the one you''ve already got!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, why not just be honest with your friends and tell them it''s excessively rude and you''re not that sort of person? The majority of sales reps in bridal salons work on commission. They aren''t your friends playthings, they''re people trying to make a living. Sheesh...you really have to ask?
20.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to purrfectpear. Again. She is so 'in my head'.

Well, actually, perhaps you would be perfect for one of those bridal reality shows like "Say Yes To The Dress".

You'll have to buy the dress, but don't they throw in a honeymoon? Or is that just "Bridezillas"?

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 11:33:13 AM

31.gif

31.gif
38.gif
Hah, no, hon, you''re not bad.
3.gif
I tried on dresses I wouldn''t buy in a million years to get an idea of what shapes and styles look good on me. There''s nothing wrong with that!

Just because you (the general ''you'') book an appointment to try on dresses doesn''t mean you HAVE to buy one, but booking an appointment when there''s absolutely ZERO chance of you buying one is inconsiderate to those who have yet to buy their dresses and who may be under a time crunch (like, I found out that ordering my dress 7 MONTHS in advance is cutting it close, so to make sure I have it, I''m getting the sample). The sole exception to this would be if you know someone who owns a bridal shop, who would let you in after hours or something, where you wouldn''t be taking up slots meant for people who actually need to find their dresses.
Phew! Thanks, I thought I was about to get busted by the Bridalshop Police on felony charges of Wasting Assistant''s Time
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nah, don''t do it. If it was for something less involved then I''d say yes, but dress shopping is such a long excessive process in itself and to waste one person''s time if the shop is busy and to take away the time that is well needed for another bride, I would like to discourage.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
I feel like I have to go with the crowd on this one, sorry.

I ''knew'' I didn''t want to spend a lot on my dress, but I did go to one designer boutique that had second-hand wedding dresses just to see if, for some reason, the designer dresses spoke to me. I went there pretty sure I wouldn''t buy anything, but was open to negotiation if I found something I truly couldn''t have lived without. I didn''t find my dream dress there, and did eventually decide their prices were still above what I was willing to spend, but didn''t go just for the sake of trying them on. I was convincing myself that these more expensive dresses didn''t do anything more for me than the ''budget dresses'' that I had been trying on. Even then I feel a little bit like I wasted the associate''s time (only an hour at least) because I was 95% sure I wouldn''t be walking out of there with a dress.

If you''re 1000% sure you aren''t going to shop, I''d stay away from it.

I don''t know how others feel about this, but some places you can walk around and just look at things and if a consultant is free, she''d let me try it on. If another appointment came in, she''d be dealing with that client, but at least I hadn''t made an appointment getting her hopes up for a sale that was never going to happen. I would have just been a little bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results